ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Gonzaga team?

I really try not to be a homer. I just get annoyed sometimes when Gonzaga has done literally everything to prove it’s greatness this year.

If/when they cut the nets down it won't matter. Undefeated team that'll stay the highest rated Kenpom team speaks for itself.

Reactions: jhmossy and ozfrog
Maybe, but not really. They are bringing in the #1 overall recruit, the #7 overall recruit, and a 5 star from the previous class too.

Also those scrubs that Few brings in at the end of games are all highly rated freshmen.

It's not like every highly-rated freshman is going to be as good or ready for this level as Suggs.

They have no shot blocking no real tough guys down low... and really there is nobody in today's game getting dirty if they ran into a team with a Kenyon Martin mindset who knows how they'd react.
th

Reactions: ozfrog
I really try not to be a homer. I just get annoyed sometimes when Gonzaga has done literally everything to prove it’s greatness this year.

I take nothing away from Gonzaga and their place in 2021. And the Zags program warrants much respect they are on a f'ing roll right now.

I just do not look at Mobley and place him on par with the best defensive player we've seen in the last 20 years at this level, even if Davis only played one year. Anthony Davis was equivalent to a #1 shutdown CB in the NFL, taking away half the football field. Looking @ his offensive stats isn't the story to tell about him. That dude just owned the paint defensively.

Could Zags counter that with outside shooting? Not saying they couldn't for sure, but they would be seeing something that they haven't seen from any team in today's game.

Doing the tourney dirty like ‘96 UK and ‘09 Carolina. Are they on that level?

Close, and definitely when comparing within their era.

Here are the top 25 KenPom teams of all-time (20th season). This Gonzaga team is evidently okay.

Top25-Ken-Pom-All-Time.png

Yup. I'd be willing to bet that there's increased stratification at the top lately, similar to SRS (adjusted point differential, essentially) has been generally trending up in the NBA since the 1990s. I don't think KenPom makes any adjustments that would counteract this (or filter for garbage time like some NBA sites do).

Majority of the teams just suck. The game finally fell off a cliff.

It's been trending downward for quite a while. The gap between college and the NBA grows pretty much every year. At this point I hope the G-League really takes off so college basketball becomes less of a farm system.

Ya I just think it's funny how people choose to compare eras. No one had a problem with this era in the 2019 season as many of the good teams came from the ACC. But since the ACC hasn't been awesome the last two years, college basketball as a whole isn't very good.

Everyone wanted to crown that 2019 Duke team that ran a middle school offense and couldn't shoot. But this Zags team has 3 potential first rounders too and they play beautiful offense.

I don't think it's an ACC thing. Were people calling 2019 a good year? It really wasn't. I think the last "good" year was 2015, probably, and that was concentrated at the top (Wisconsin, UK, Duke, Arizona primarily). I guess people could argue that increasing player skill counteracts the effects of early entrants and roster turnover, but I doubt it.

My issue with using KenPom is that you're comparing teams from different eras of college basketball. I truly believe that the 2021 field of college basketball is meaningfully worse than the 2001 field of college basketball so the fact that the Zags efficiency ratings are so high is somewhat diluted for me.

Would this Zags team really be a favorite over 2001 Duke which was the year before KenPom started it rankings? Or 2018 Nova? Or 2009 UNC? Or 2008 KU?

This. I think the Zags would be competitive, but I wouldn't make them the favorite over any of those teams. It's really hard to compare across eras. I don't think KenPom adjusts for that, and if you believe (in line with the observable evidence) that the quality has gotten worse, it's hard to make the case for comparisons across eras (or even seasons).

Imagine paying 10 dollars to post on a free board that you were so butthurt someone doesn't think the team with the best player of the 21st century would lose to this Gonzaga team. I don't know if you remember that draft, but Kentucky had 4 first round picks, including the first school to ever go 1-2. Had two more picked in the second round.

I have said on multiple threads I think this Gonzaga team is right up there with all of the greats of the last 20 years but YIKES

I will admit. I just paid $10 so i can reply to this clown. Who is this dude anyways, but an uneducated Kentucky homer? My lord. Kispert and Nembhard not being significantly better than Lamb and Darius Miller? Suggs not being better than Teague by a large margin? I understand most of Big Blue Nation has its head up its behind, but you my friend, take the cake. Other fan bases laugh at Kentucky fans-- there is a whole thread on Gonzaga's board about the idiotic takes that Kentucky fans have each year out of sheer jealousy of Gonzaga-- and this years 7 win team really ignited that hatred. Was it 7 games you won? 8? How many? Either way it was pitiful. Not as pitiful as your fan base though.

Only BBN has the uneducated ignorance to the level that is spewed night in and night out on your board. BBN is an embarrassment for college basketball. You think every transfer is coming your way (wrong).. sorry max abmas isnt coming Kentucky's way haha.

You think teams are dodging you-- ya i am sure Gonzaga would had to face the lottery pick that is Brandon butterfingers Boston or Terrance 'i broke a finger nail' Clarke.

BBN is so stupid, i read the other day that this GU team would be the 5th best team in that 2015 year. That they would not win the SEC this year, and that the 2nd platoon on kentuckys 2015 team would beat this Gonzaga team. Dont believe me? Go check out Kentucky's message board.

Your team sucks this year, your program is on the decline, and your jealousy for one of the better stories in sports history-- a school in Eastern washington in the middle of nowhere, rising up to the top of CBB with an undefeated record, demolishing any program in its way by an average of over 20 ppg.

Just because your 2015 team choked in the semi finals, leaving a bunch of pathetic BBN with their hands on their hips wondering wth just happened, doesn't mean you need to diminish Gonzag's historic accomplishments this year.

Social media allowed fools like you to voice your opinion-- and hopefully those educated CBB fans see right through your bs and the rest of the bs that the overwhelming majority of BBN spew on a daily basis. Not good for the sport, not really good for anything. Your arrogance and your fan bases arrogance make you the laughing stock of other fan bases.

As for the game, I wish UCLA luck. I am still bitter about '06 and even though we beat you in '15, I want more revenge. I am an LA guy so will always root for UCLA in non Zags games, and admire what Mick is doing with your program. Peyton watson will add to an already loaded roster next year, which i think will be preseason top 10.

I do not think you will beat Gonzaga, as I for one can attest this is the best GU team ever. Timme should be too much for Riley, and UCLA needs to shoot way better to keep up with Gonzaga's offense. What is underrated about this squad is their defense. The quickness of guards Nembhard, Ayayi and Suggs are not paralleled by many in CBB. Maybe Baylor. They will make life tough for Tyger, and shots not as easy for Juzang. What a stud he is though. Pure stroke. Happy you all have at least 1 more year of him.

Best of luck-- except to pathetic, jealous, BBN scum.
Hey man. I’m the resident Zags fan on this board. I see that you are new here, so a little advice. The guy that you are being right now....... don’t be that guy.

Hey man. I’m the resident Zags fan on this board. I see that you are new here, so a little advice. The guy that you are being right now....... don’t be that guy.

I make fun of Kentucky fans plenty but good lord. What an awful first post.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboBBN and ozfrog
Imagine paying 10 dollars to post on a free board that you were so butthurt someone doesn't think the team with the best player of the 21st century would lose to this Gonzaga team. I don't know if you remember that draft, but Kentucky had 4 first round picks, including the first school to ever go 1-2. Had two more picked in the second round.

I have said on multiple threads I think this Gonzaga team is right up there with all of the greats of the last 20 years but YIKES

Newsflash-- the Zags have 4 first rounders too, one that will be the top pick or a top 3 pick. You wouldnt know that though. BBN knows nothing outside of its own hole. Its sad.

The fact that you allow BBN to spew that crap makes you less of a zags fan in my eyes. Arrogance as a fan base for days. Go read their board. Pathetic.

• Wow
Newsflash-- the Zags have 4 first rounders too, one that will be the top pick or a top 3 pick. You wouldnt know that though. BBN knows nothing outside of its own hole. Its sad.

Yes and they don't have Anthony Davis. Go read my other posts since you clearly have lurked this board. I even said in a response one of them I think Gonzaga would have a decent shot because they are much more perimeter oriented. FYI Doron Lamb > Andrew Nembhard and Joel Ayayi.

Good job spending money to post on a free board though.

Yes and they don't have Anthony Davis. Go read my other posts since you clearly have lurked this board. I even said in a response one of them I think Gonzaga would have a decent shot because they are much more perimeter oriented. FYI Doron Lamb > Andrew Nembhard and Joel Ayayi.

Good job spending money to post on a free board though.
The fact that you think Doron Lamb is better than Nembhard or Ayayi proves my point. Thank you. Zero of your basketball takes have credibility after that one.

The fact that you think Doron Lamb is better than Nembhard or Ayayi proves my point. Thank you. Zero of your basketball takes have credibility after that one.

The best shooter in Kentucky history is better than both, yes. It's not even a controversial take. Move along kid.

I will admit. I just paid $10 so i can reply to this clown. Who is this dude anyways, but an uneducated Kentucky homer? My lord. Kispert and Nembhard not being significantly better than Lamb and Darius Miller? Suggs not being better than Teague by a large margin? I understand most of Big Blue Nation has its head up its behind, but you my friend, take the cake. Other fan bases laugh at Kentucky fans-- there is a whole thread on Gonzaga's board about the idiotic takes that Kentucky fans have each year out of sheer jealousy of Gonzaga-- and this years 7 win team really ignited that hatred. Was it 7 games you won? 8? How many? Either way it was pitiful. Not as pitiful as your fan base though.

Only BBN has the uneducated ignorance to the level that is spewed night in and night out on your board. BBN is an embarrassment for college basketball. You think every transfer is coming your way (wrong).. sorry max abmas isnt coming Kentucky's way haha.

You think teams are dodging you-- ya i am sure Gonzaga would had to face the lottery pick that is Brandon butterfingers Boston or Terrance 'i broke a finger nail' Clarke.

BBN is so stupid, i read the other day that this GU team would be the 5th best team in that 2015 year. That they would not win the SEC this year, and that the 2nd platoon on kentuckys 2015 team would beat this Gonzaga team. Dont believe me? Go check out Kentucky's message board.

Gonzaga has at least four future pro's-- all will be first rounders. Nembhard was a 2 year starter as a freshman and sophomore in your vaunted SEC at Florida and came here and started the year on the bench. Aaron cook barely plays and transferred from Southern Illinois after averaging 16 ppg. Dominick Harris, Julian Strawther and Ben Gregg were all top 50 recruits nationally. They only play in mop up minutes. They have 3 All americans, a 4th that got honorable mention, and nembhard who very well could have been on that list as well.

Your team sucks this year, your program is on the decline, and your jealousy for one of the better stories in sports history-- a school in Eastern washington in the middle of nowhere, rising up to the top of CBB with an undefeated record, demolishing any program in its way by an average of over 20 ppg.

Just because your 2015 team choked in the semi finals, leaving a bunch of pathetic BBN with their hands on their hips wondering wth just happened, doesn't mean you need to diminish Gonzag's historic accomplishments this year.

Social media allowed fools like you to voice your opinion-- and hopefully those educated CBB fans see right through your bs and the rest of the bs that the overwhelming majority of BBN spew on a daily basis. Not good for the sport, not really good for anything. Your arrogance and your fan bases arrogance make you the laughing stock of other fan bases.

As for the game, I wish UCLA luck. I am still bitter about '06 and even though we beat you in '15, I want more revenge. I am an LA guy so will always root for UCLA in non Zags games, and admire what Mick is doing with your program. Peyton watson will add to an already loaded roster next year, which i think will be preseason top 10.

I do not think you will beat Gonzaga, as I for one can attest this is the best GU team ever. Timme should be too much for Riley, and UCLA needs to shoot way better to keep up with Gonzaga's offense. What is underrated about this squad is their defense. The quickness of guards Nembhard, Ayayi and Suggs are not paralleled by many in CBB. Maybe Baylor. They will make life tough for Tyger, and shots not as easy for Juzang. What a stud he is though. Pure stroke. Happy you all have at least 1 more year of him.

Best of luck-- except to pathetic, jealous, BBN scum.
Welcome aboard! 😳😹

Somebody gets this man a beer! 💪

The best shooter in Kentucky history is better than both, yes. It's not even a controversial take. Move along kid.
haha.. this is up there.. ill be sure to add this take to the "dumbest takes" section of our list of Kentucky fans Hot takes. Thanks

haha.. this is up there.. ill be sure to add this take to the "dumbest takes" section of our list of Kentucky fans Hot takes. Thanks

Damn how dare I think the guy averaging 9 points a game isn't as good as the guy who shot 47.5% from three over his two years at Kentucky and averaged almost 17 a game in the NCAA tournament in 2012 on 55/52/74 splits. Wow what a dumb take.

Reactions: oldsports_
Damn how dare I think the guy averaging 9 points a game isn't as good as the guy who shot 47.5% from three over his two years at Kentucky and almost 17 a game in the NCAA tournament in 2012 on 55/52/74 splits. Wow what a dumb take.
Admit you havent watched more than 2 Gonzaga games and silencio.

Admit you havent watched more than 2 Gonzaga games and silencio.

Watched plenty of Gonzaga. They are helluva team and Mark Few is a great coach. Hopefully he takes the team to the finish line this year. Would be a Cal level choke job if he doesn't. You've been on this board for less than an hour and already are the biggest homer on the site. It's pretty remarkable really.

Things Nembhard does better than Doron Lamb:
-Defense
-Rebound
-Pass
-Lead
-Run the Offense

Things Lamb does better than Nembhard:
-Shoot

Watched plenty of Gonzaga. They are helluva team and Mark Few is a great coach. Hopefully he takes the team to the finish line this year. Would be a Cal level choke job if he doesn't. You've been on this board for less than an hour and already are the biggest homer on the site. It's pretty remarkable really.

Anyone objectively who knows CBB, would agree that Ayayi is a better player than Doron Lamb. An uneducated basketball fan such as yourself, would only look at shooting numbers. I am not surprised though.

I got better things to do, especially since you so astutely educated me that I was paying for a free board-- (wtf rivals)--- but keep thinking Max Abmas is transferring to Big Blue Nation, keep your pipe dreams of Chet Holmgren making a last minute switch to the historic Rupp Arena, and keep downplaying this historic GU team. You nor I will ever know what team will win in a matchup of the two. So BBN can cry all they want out of jealousy that this GU team will do something the chokers of '15 couldn't do. However, neither of us would still be able to prove which team is better head to head.
Calm down ! 🤣

I have Zags walking through this thing. Best team TEAM, ever put together.

Things Nembhard does better than Doron Lamb:
-Defense
-Rebound
-Pass
-Lead
-Run the Offense

Things Lamb does better than Nembhard:
-Shoot

The irony of saying I don't watch Gonzaga while you clearly didn't watch that Kentucky team. Nembhardt was a shitty player at Florida for two years. He's better in an off ball role since Suggs is awesome. Lamb was the best scorer on that team. He ran point when Teague was on the bench. I guess congrats on him being a better rebounder? He didn't really had to do that since MKG/Jones/AD got every one.

Anyone objectively who knows CBB, would agree that Ayayi is a better player than Doron Lamb. An uneducated basketball fan such as yourself, would only look at shooting numbers. I am not surprised though.

Lulz. Ayayi is a good role player. Like Nembhardt being the 4th/5th wheel has really helped him. Lamb was the main offensive threat for Kentucky on offense. Big difference.

As for your other novel, man you have some serious anger issues. Nobody even reads the Rafters except rival fans I guess. I don't care about Abmas or that string bean.

• Wow
BTW I really hope you stick around. Love the aggression. Hope you don't have a meltdown like Matty if Gonzaga doesn't bring it home. Which could happen, though I'm rooting for em.

• Haha
The irony of saying I don't watch Gonzaga while you clearly didn't watch that Kentucky team. Nembhardt was a shitty player at Florida for two years. He's better in an off ball role since Suggs is awesome. Lamb was the best scorer on that team. He ran point when Teague was on the bench. I guess congrats on him being a better rebounder? He didn't really had to do that since MKG/Jones/AD got every one.

Lulz. Ayayi is a good role player. Like Nembhardt being the 4th/5th wheel has really helped him. Lamb was the main offensive threat for Kentucky on offense. Big difference.

As for your other novel, man you have some serious anger issues. Nobody even reads the Rafters except rival fans I guess. I don't care about Abmas or that string bean.

I guess good role players get drafted in the first round. Am i reading this right? Your savior Lamb was pick number 42 in the second round? How could that be? He sounds like an All American based on your "analysis" BTW Ayayi was honorable mention AA as a jr.

I guess good role players get drafted in the first round. Am i reading this right? Your savior Lamb was pick number 42 in the second round? How could that be? He sounds like an All American based on your "analysis" BTW Ayayi was honorable mention AA as a jr.

Timme is an awesome college player. Where is he mocked? Lamb was lazy and loved the weed. He was a top college basketball player. You should know how many elite guys aren't good pros for any number of reasons. Go ask Kansas after he was the second best player on the floor after AD in the title game.

Says the guy who only joined a message board the day after his team makes it to the final 4 😂
Still havent answered my question, dope. Been a fan since 99 with Santangelo, fraham, calvary, eaton, spink, hall. Did you jump ship when you realized that the only championship you were winning was division 2?

• Wow
Timme is an awesome college player. Where is he mocked? Lamb was lazy and loved the weed. He was a top college basketball player. You should know how many elite guys aren't good pros for any number of reasons. Go ask Kansas after he was the second best player on the floor after AD in the title game.

If you dont think Drew Timme's stock skyrocketed after making Mobley look pedestrian last night, I got nothing else for you. Dude is a first rounder, even in today's NBA.

Still havent answered my question, dope. Been a fan since 99 with Santangelo, fraham, calvary, eaton, spink, hall. Did you jump ship when you realized that the only championship you were winning was division 2?
Wait, you act this way and you aren’t in high school?!? Omg are you like 40? That is super sad.

And no I went to Cal Poly, and I ran offensive quality control for their football program while I was there.

Wait, you act this way and you aren’t in high school?!? Omg are you like 40? That is super sad.

And no I went to Cal Poly, and I ran offensive quality control for their football program while I was there.
Sorry to hear that. Well at least a guy that knows his Zags and coached hoops at the highest levels and not some Cal Poly football GA graced you guys with some Zag knowledge today. Carry on with Mr mustang though.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT