ADVERTISEMENT

Helms Titles

I remember Kentucky fans routinely pulling that card in pissing matches after the tourney. “Yeah, you’re national champions, but we beat your asses in Lawrence! Take that!” 😂

Hilarious that somebody could say that with a straight face, let alone repeat it endlessly. There's definitely no ambiguity about what your Super Bowl is.
Uh, okay, it's still a big feat. I mean, if Tyty doesn’t get injured, UK is a contender. Once he got injured in that Auburn road game, that was all she wrote.

UK had bigtime scoreboard on KU that season, I don't get the issue you have with bragging about that.

Beat uNC and UT by 30, shoukd we not brag about that too?

IU fans still make popcorn boxes nd do re-enactments of 'THE WATFORD SHOT' which was a regular season win, UK ended up beating them on their way to the title that year, should they not brag about that? They certainly take it too far, but that was a big win.

Not true, of course. Only insecure UK fans bring it up.

And KU's more relevant than Kentucky in the modern era no matter how you slice it.
That relevancy can be gone in one season. UK gets to a FF this year and KU doesn’t, your little run is over.

Also, viewership disagrees with you, even UK's easiest games are on espn prime time, can't say that about anybody else. So I'll ask, who are you more relevant to?

They don't get to choose their schedule.
JMU did challenge themselves though, they played at Michigan state, who just blew the doors off Baylor.

But you don’t think they’d see Michigan’s undefeated record and recognize that Michigan was better than hypothetically unbeaten JMU?

It doesn't matter that the tournament isn’t 'the best way' to determine a champion, but it is, by far, the most logical way.

You can’t do a best of 3, 5, or 7, it's not practical, but it’s still far better than a group of dudes determining champions 10, 20 and 30 years after the fact.

I don't even see how that's debatable. They proved it on the court.

What do you do with football then? At 4 teams in the playoff, the 5th team has an argument. Now, they're going to 12 teams. Should they do best of 3 there?

The NFL doesn't do that. In fact, there are always some NFL teams that make the playoffs with far worse records than teams that weren't even 'in the hunt'.

A best of 3 is absolutely feasible and I’d argue much more logical than a tournament of 68 teams, at least 40 of which have no business competing for a title.

Football is different. You can’t play series because it would take a month to play a series. Try to do it any faster and guys would die. That’s a limitation of the sport, not an argument that series’ aren’t better.

A best of 3 is absolutely feasible and I’d argue much more logical than a tournament of 68 teams, at least 40 of which have no business competing for a title.

Football is different. You can’t play series because it would take a month to play a series. Try to do it any faster and guys would die. That’s a limitation of the sport, not an argument that series’ aren’t better.
I think it’s feasible once it gets down to 4 teams, but you can't do that with the E8, or sweet 16, but by the time the FF is set, so.many tines, the "BEST TEAM" has been ousted.

People can rail on Helms all they want, as long as they do the same for the majority of football “titles” claimed. And they damn well better not be claiming mythical titles of their own (looking at you, Wee Man). 🤣

Funny thing about this is that the same people who bash Helms always work in a brag at some point about their number of Helms titles. And fyi, Kentucky was awarded several Helms titles, but all but one were years in which they won the tourney. You can't be national champ twice in the same year. LOL

Now this is interesting...

Per wiki:

The living players from the 1950 Wildcats team were honored during halftime of a game during the 2005 season as national champions for the 1950 season, as determined by the #1 ranking in Jeff Sagarin's computer ratings released in 1990. The University of Kentucky claims this national championship.[1]

Kentucky claiming fake titles?!? Say it ain't so! 🤣 😂 😆

I think it’s feasible once it gets down to 4 teams, but you can't do that with the E8, or sweet 16, but by the time the FF is set, so.many tines, the "BEST TEAM" has been ousted.

Start as a 16 team tournament. A 3 game series should take a week. 4 weeks and you’re done.

Isn't that an opinion though?

Weren’t the old football championships based on AP standings (opinions)?

If a season of a sport was played, that sport has to have a best team, a champion. I’m pretty sure that’s in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence and Magna Carta. If you didn’t have a championship game, opinion is what’s left.

People can rail on Helms all they want, as long as they do the same for the majority of football “titles” claimed. And they damn well better not be claiming mythical titles of their own (looking at you, Wee Man). 🤣

Funny thing about this is that the same people who bash Helms always work in a brag at some point about their number of Helms titles. And fyi, Kentucky was awarded several Helms titles, but all but one were years in which they won the tourney. You can't be national champ twice in the same year. LOL
Which is why Helms are stupid as ****. Not that I expected a Kansas fan to understand that though.

1924 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Now this is interesting...

Per wiki:

The living players from the 1950 Wildcats team were honored during halftime of a game during the 2005 season as national champions for the 1950 season, as determined by the #1 ranking in Jeff Sagarin's computer ratings released in 1990. The University of Kentucky claims this national championship.[1]

Kentucky claiming fake titles?!? Say it ain't so! 🤣 😂 😆
That's in football. And that's not a fake title, lmfao. Lot's of teams ''share'' a national title from back during the pre-bcs era of CFB. Kentucky beat Oklahoma that year FWIW.

That's in football. And that's not a fake title, lmfao. Lot's of teams ''share'' a national title from back during the pre-bcs era of CFB. Kentucky beat Oklahoma that year FWIW.
Yes, I know it’s football, thanks.

Retroactively claiming a title decades later based on a Sagarin ranking = legit title? 🤣

What’s the difference between that and Helms again?

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Weren’t the old football championships based on AP standings (opinions)?

If a season of a sport was played, that sport has to have a best team, a champion. I’m pretty sure that’s in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence and Magna Carta. If you didn’t have a championship game, opinion is what’s left.
I'm not sure why we keep trying to compare to football, the 2 sports can't be any different.

Can you answer a simple question? Why does your school claim a fake title? Does that embarrass you?
I didn’t know UK FB was considered a blue blood.

When you’re a 3rd tier SEC football program, you take whatever you can get to build momentum.

Now it's your turn, why does KU claim fake titles, in basketball?

• Haha
I didn’t know UK FB was considered a blue blood.

When you’re a 3rd tier SEC football program, you take whatever you can get to build momentum.

Now it's your turn, why does KU claim fake titles, in basketball?

LOL. So “fake titles” become real if you don’t have a winning tradition?

Like I’ve said, those banners have hung for a long time and no one involved in that decision is still at KU. I’m not even sure their blue blood status had been established at that point.

I don't see anyone interested in doing that, especially the ones that want to gamble and that plan removes 52 teams that can possibly make a run.

Like I said before, I enjoy March Madness. It ain’t going anywhere. It’s just not one of the most logical ways to pick a champ. It was never really meant to be, though.

Reactions: kyjeff1
LOL. So “fake titles” become real if you don’t have a winning tradition?

Like I’ve said, those banners have hung for a long time and no one involved in that decision is still at KU. I’m not even sure their blue blood status had been established at that point.
The reason everyone is shitting on KU over those Helms banners, is because they're a blue blood program, if we were talking about Kansas state, nobody would care, it's Kansas State, they have never won shit.

Kentucky Football has been a doormat in the SEC, so why not take any accolade you can get?

If we were talking about Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, or UGA displaying fake banners, yeah, I'd laugh.

The reason everyone is shitting on KU over those Helms banners, is because they're a blue blood program, if we were talking about Kansas state, nobody would care, it's Kansas State, they have never won shit.

Kentucky Football has been a doormat in the SEC, so why not take any accolade you can get?

If we were talking about Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, or UGA displaying fake banners, yeah, I'd laugh.

So why do you guys only talk about KU’s Helms banners? You do know that UNC has one hanging too, right? Weird that no one ever talks about that.

So why do you guys only talk about KU’s Helms banners? You do know that UNC has one hanging too, right? Weird that no one ever talks about that.
I don't see any uNC fans in here trying to defend it, or trying to deflect attention, like you've been doing.

Agreed, we shouldn’t be comparing to football.
All championships should be won on court/field.

In football the Big Ten and Pac Whatever got many votes simply because of the massive population of some states. Now that the titles are won on the field the SEC is running away with it.

Here they are and if you need help in counting, out of the 25 titles, it is 1 for the Pac12, 2 for the B1G and Big12, 5 for the ACC and a dissappointing 15 for the SEC.

YearChampionsConference
2022Georgia BulldogsSEC
2021Georgia BulldogsSEC
2020Alabama Crimson TideSEC
2019LSU TigersSEC
2018ClemsonACC
2017AlabamaSEC
2016ClemsonACC
2015AlabamaSEC
2014Ohio StateB1G
2013Florida StateACC
2012AlabamaSEC
2011AlabamaSEC
2010AuburnSEC
2009AlabamaSEC
2008FloridaSEC
2007LSUSEC
2006FloridaSEC
2005TexasBig12
2004USCPac 12
2003LSUSEC
2002Ohio StateB1G
2001Miami (Fla.)ACC
2000OklahomaBig12
1999Florida StateACC
1998TennesseeSEC

Reactions: Random UK Fan
You do know that UNC has one hanging too, right? Weird that no one ever talks about that.

wait-what-surprised.gif

I don't see any uNC fans in here trying to defend it, or trying to deflect attention, like you've been doing.

LOL. I’m not just talking about this thread. This isn’t exactly an uncommon topic among your fans.

LOL. I’m not just talking about this thread. This isn’t exactly an uncommon topic among your fans.
Seems like uNC fans are more ashamed of it than KU fans are and I never see anyone associated with uNC try to say they have 1 more title than what they actually have.

KU is trying to say they have 6 national titles.

Seems like uNC fans are more ashamed of it than KU fans are and I never see anyone associated with uNC try to say they have 1 more title than what they actually have.

KU is trying to say they have 6 national titles.

Sorry that their hype video created for KU fans and recruits rustles you this much.

When’s the last time you talked Helms with a UNC fan? You sure you aren’t making this up as you go? 🤣

Sorry that their hype video created for KU fans and recruits rustles you this much.

When’s the last time you talked Helms with a UNC fan? You sure you aren’t making this up as you go? 🤣
Like I said, uNC fans don't try to defend helms banners, KU fans do and KU constantky tries to act like they have 2 more titles than what they actually have.
Helms bragging, is a KU thing, not a uNC thing and certainly not a UK thing.

ADVERTISEMENT