ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest All-Time Coaches from different Conferences.

Besides Smith, Williams and K, who are some other notable ACC coaches?

Norm Sloan for NC State way back in the day, won a title, coached David Thompson, the original skywalker. Also Lefty Driesell was a great coach and Bobby Cremins who went to a FF, back in that day the ACC was a minefield.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Gary Williams is a weird one because Maryland isn't in the ACC now but he was great for them.

Hamilton at FSU isn't an all time ACC great I know but is probably my all time favorite non-UNC coach so I'm mentioning him.

CM Newton @ Alabama should be in that group.
With an honerable mention for Wimp Sanderson.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Tom Izzo from Michigan State belongs on that list. He has a national championship, eight Final Four appearances, 14 Sweet 16 appearances and ten conference championships. He has enjoyed great success over the years without signing a lot of the "one and done" type of players.

Gary Williams is a weird one because Maryland isn't in the ACC now but he was great for them.

Hamilton at FSU isn't an all time ACC great I know but is probably my all time favorite non-UNC coach so I'm mentioning him.
I love Hamilton. I spent some time with him when he was Joe B. Hall's assistant at Kentucky. He is a gentle giant and very bright fellow.

Educate yourself on your coach. Hell, just read about his career on wikipedia. It will tell you what a sleaze bag he is.
Nate Oats is clean and you know it. Auburn will hire any sleaze bag they think that will win some games.
Pearl and Freeze to name 2. @AUHoosier

Educate yourself on your coach. Hell, just read about his career on wikipedia. It will tell you what a sleaze bag he is.
Nate Oats is clean and you know it. Auburn will hire any sleaze bag they think that will win some games.
Pearl and Freeze to name 2.
LOL at Nate Oates being clean. Bama has the dirtiest athletic department in ncaa history. You guys are only pissed about NIL now because now everyone else gets to pay players like you have since bear Bryant was there. Let me guess. Saban has never cheated either? Gtfo you dumbfvxk

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Hanging out with dudes that were joe b’s hall assistants?
You bet. I am a real fan and Joe B. was my friend. I stayed in contact with Joe B. until three months before he died.

He came to visit me often. I lived in Jacksonville, FL and we would go to the AAU tourney together and if he had a prospect in the South I would take days off, pick him up at the airport and drive him where ever he wanted to go.

Not only that; Joe B. and C.M. were room mates at UK, so often when Joe would give me tickets to UK games I would sit with C.M. C.M. was another class act.

In 1978 Goose Givens was selected as SEC player of the year. Here is a picture of Goose, Bert and Joe.
81390242_2633349663447268_6808499427406249984_n.jpg

I am not a fair weather UK fan. I have not missed a game since a Chemistry final kept me from a game in December 1965.

LOL at Nate Oates being clean. Bama has the dirtiest athletic department in ncaa history. You guys are only pissed about NIL now because now everyone else gets to pay players like you have since bear Bryant was there. Let me guess. Saban has never cheated either? Gtfo you dumbfvxk
Yeah the football program is pissed about NIL? So they had the #1 recruiting class because we hate the new NIL rule ? You're a freaking idiot.
Oh yeah, and please inform everyone what sleazy stuff Nate Oats has done.
Your remarks about Alabamas athletics being the dirtiest in NCAA history is nothing but an aubie dream.
Your little brother syndrome shows your jealousy.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Something like...

ACC
1. K
2. Dean
3. Roy
HM: Norm Sloan, Gary Williams, Tony Bennett

Big East
1. Jim Calhoun
2. Jay Wright / John Thompson
3. Jim Boeheim
HM: Rollie Massimino

Big 12 / Big 8
1. Bill Self
2. Tex Winter
3. Scott Drew
HM: Norm Stewart, Eddie Sutton

Big Ten
1. Bobby Knight
2. Tom Izzo
3. Fred Taylor
HM: Steve Fisher, Gene Keady, Bo Ryan

Pac 10/12
1. John Wooden
2. Lute Olsen
3. Pete Newell
HM: Mike Montgomery, Ben Howland

SEC
1. Adolph Rupp
2. Rick Pitino / Nolan Richardson
3. Billy Donovan
HM: Tubby Smith, Dale Brown

Yeah the football program is pissed about NIL? So they had the #1 recruiting class because we hate the new NIL rule ? You're a freaking idiot.
Oh yeah, and please inform everyone what sleazy stuff Nate Oats has done.
Your remarks about Alabamas athletics being the dirtiest in NCAA history is nothing but an aubie dream.
Your little brother syndrome shows your jealousy.
Nate Oates out of nowhere is signing basketball talent that would never have gone to Alabama before. But yeah he is clean. Alabama has signed more talent the last 15 years in football than anyone else. Yet they are clean to. Saban sure is bitching about NIL to not care sbout it. Bama fans are literally the dumbest cult out there. Everyone else cheats but them. You are dumber than shit. Go on back to your homeboard where you belong homer

You bet. I am a real fan and Joe B. was my friend. I stayed in contact with Joe B. until three months before he died.

He came to visit me often. I lived in Jacksonville, FL and we would go to the AAU tourney together and if he had a prospect in the South I would take days off, pick him up at the airport and drive him where ever he wanted to go.

Not only that; Joe B. and C.M. were room mates at UK, so often when Joe would give me tickets to UK games I would sit with C.M. C.M. was another class act.

In 1978 Goose Givens was selected as SEC player of the year. Here is a picture of Goose, Bert and Joe.
81390242_2633349663447268_6808499427406249984_n.jpg

I am not a fair weather UK fan. I have not missed a game since a Chemistry final kept me from a game in December 1965.
LOL. Isn’t about nap time gramps?

• Sad
SEC:
1. Adolph Rupp (4 NC's, 6 Final4's; SEC: 27, SECT: 13) - 876 wins (#1 at UK)
2. Billy Donovan (2 NC's, 4 Final4's; SEC: 7, SECT: 4) - 467 wins (#1 at UF)
3. Dale Brown (--------------2 Final4's; SEC: 4, SECT: 1) - 448 wins (#1 at LSU)
4. John Calapari (1 NC, 4 Final4's; SEC: 6, SECT: 6) - 380 wins (#2 at UK)

5. Joe B Hall (1 NC, 3 Final4's; SEC: 8, SECT: 1) - 297 wins (#3 at UK)
6. Nolan Richardson (1 NC, 3 Final4's; SEC: 4, SECT: 1) - 267 wins at Ark(in SEC)(#1 at ArK)
7. Tubby Smith (1 NC, 1 FF4; SEC: 7, SECT: 5) - 263 wins (#4 at UK)
8. Rick Pitino (1 NC (2nd NC at Louisville), 7 Final4's; SEC: 2, SECT: 5) - 219 wins (#5 at UK)
:
9. Frank McGuire(2 Final4's at UNC & 1 NC (32-0 in '57) at UNC; ) - 283 wins (#1 at South Carolina)
10. Norm Sloan (1 NC (at NC St), 1 Final4; '73 team: 27-0; SEC: 1) - 235 wins (2nd in UF wins)
:
11. Bruce Pearl (1 Final4; SEC: 5 (2 at AU, 3 Tenn) SECT: 1 (at AU)) - 328 wins
328 SEC wins: {183 wins at AU ranks #3 all-time; 145 wins at UT ranks #5 all-time)}
12. Hugh Durham (1 Final4; SEC: 1, SECT: 1) - 298 wins (1st in GA wins; '83 FF4 at UGA)
:
13. Rick Stansbury (---------; SEC: 5, SECT: 2) - 293 wins (1st in Miss St wins)
14. Wimp Sanderson (-----------------------; SEC: 1, SECT: 5) - 267 wins (1st in AL wins)
15. Ray Mears (-------------------------; SEC: 3, SECT: 0) - 278 wins (1st in Tenn wins)
16. Kevin Stallings (----------; SEC: 0, SECT: 1) - 332 wins (1st in Vandy wins)

17. Lon Kruger ( 2 Final4's; 674 wins at six different schools) - 104 wins (#5 at UF; '94 FF4 at UF)
18. Frank Martin (1 Final4; --------------------) - 171 wins (#2 at USC; 2107 FF4 at S.Car)

===============================================================================
I've included Dale Brown on this list because of his number of all-time SEC wins which ranked 2nd only to Adolph Rupp for a very, long time before Billy Donovan eventually passed him on this list. Brown also recruited some of the greatest SEC players that would later go one to be NBA stars including Shaquille O'Neil, Chris Jackson, etc. In his 14th year at Kentucky, John Calapari is in the best position to go up further on this all-time SEC-list. We will see because Calapar's UK team have not made the NCAA Final4 since 2015 (8+ years). Florida has a similar drought (last UF FF4 in 2014) and are now on their 2nd basketball coach since Donovan.

At 328 total SEC wins, Bruce Pearl is someone else to keep an eye on.

Frank McGuire would coach North Carolina to its first national championship in 1957 with his team going 32-0 while defeating Kansas who was led by the legendary Wilt Chamberlin. McGuire became the first coach to lead two different teams to the Final4: St Johns & North Carolina. McGuire also led St Johns to a baseball College World series (becoming one of only 3 coaches to do so). Later, Frank Mcguire would become the all-time winningest coach at South Carolina where he ended his career.

In 1974, Sloan coached North Carolina St (30-1) led by David Thompson before there was a Michael Jordan to its first national championship while defeating John Wooden's legendary UCLA program in the Final4. The invinceable UCLA teams had previously won 7- straight national titles(1967-1973) that had legendary players like Lew Alcinder and later Bill Walton. UCLA was also winners of 9/10 last NC's ('64, '65; '67-'73; '75) . Who will ever do that again?

It would take a great team led by a great coach to take down UCLA - just once.

Sloan could have won back-to back national titles but his '73 NC St team (27-0) was ruled ineligible for the NCAA Tournament. Sloan would leave a solid nucleus of players (i.e Lorenzo Charles) with the wolfpack that would help its next coach to win the 1983 NCAA Tournament.

At Florida, Sloan attempted to build another championship program similar to the one he had at NC State.
In 1987, Sloan took Florida to its first of three straight NCAA Tournaments('87-89) which were led by the M&M Boys "Vernon Maxwell (2400 pts) & Andrew Moten (1900+ points). In 1989, Florida would win its first ever SEC title in basketball led by a dominant front-court: 7'2 Center Dwayne Schintzius, PF Dwayne Davis and SF Livingston Chatman.

While Billy Donovan would be considered as the father of Florida Basketball, Norm Sloan could be mentioned as either the Grand-Father or grand-Uncle of Florida basketball who had two stints at Florida('60-'66; '80-'89): i.e in the 1960s, Florida had its first ever win over Adolph Rupp's Kentucky wildcats in the old "Alligator Alley aka the Florida Gym" before the O'Connell Center was later built in 1980.
===================================================================================

Last edited:
You forgot Pat Kennedy
the ironic thing is I was part of a movement to get Kennedy fired. We organized a walk out during one of the games. Was covered by some national medial. And then he was fired. And here I am 20 years later wishing we had a guy like Pat Kennedy coaching the team over the past 20 years of garbage.

You are a small-time Johnny-come-lately fan.

Show me your pictures of Bruce, Auburn All American and you.

Opps, sorry Auburn may not have a basketball All Americans under Bruce?

LOL. Isn't it about time you took a reality shot, BOOZO.
Go to bed old man

I want to see the Auburn AA list under Bruce. I want to see your pictures of Auburn greats, Bruce and you.

Take your reality shot BOOZO!
Auburn has a basketball player that is better than every player in the history of the Kentucky program. I have drank with him a few times. Back to bed geezer

Reactions: winin11
They didn't teach the English language to you at the barn, that's for sure.
Your parents used to beat you didn't they....🤣
LOL at a Bama fan talking shit. Bama lets anyone in these days. People get rejected at auburn. Yet are offered academic schollies at Alabama. What else you got before you head back to your home board?

LOL at a Bama fan talking shit. Bama lets anyone in these days. People get rejected at auburn. Yet are offered academic schollies at Alabama. What else you got before you head back to your home board?
I remember an old quote that fits you to a T!
"Never argue with idiots, they will beat you with experience"

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT