ADVERTISEMENT

GOT

The biggest issue with essentially the entire last season is that it went away from pretty much everything that made the show great: story telling, shocking deaths, etc.

So you're trying to tell me that Grey Worm -- and to a lesser extent, Yara -- got over the murder of their Queen in 5 minutes? OK.

I didn't hate it, but doing the final two seasons in 13 episodes was just an awful decision.

Glad that the biggest bad ass in the entire show went from Arya Stark to Dora the ****ing Explorer

I suppose she should have gone full Ted Bundy and stayed as a faceless (wo)man? I think her ending was fine. It was a callback to something she said earlier: https://movies.stackexchange.com/qu...-west-of-westeros-but-seems-to-have-forgotten.

Larger complaint-They didn’t break the wheel. They added more shit to the wheel. Now instead of the crown get passed to the oldest son they elect a leader. Oh yea definitely no more politics in play now.

Depends on how you conceive the wheel, and ignores that change necessarily comes in incremental measures. If the wheel is the good king/bad king roulette, then the wheel has been broken, and presumably a council of interested houses will serve as a quasi-Senate (first American edition, where they were not directly elected) that in turn selects the ruler of the 6 kingdoms. That's progress. Conversely, we see what the cost of Dany's vision would/might have been: the complete destruction of the existing order (and paradoxically the "wheel" of inherited kingship necessarily survives with Dany).

And the episode made quite clear (and affirmed historical lessons) that change is incremental in nature. See, e.g., American History, the fall of the Roman Republic/Sulla.

I thought that the meta commentary inherent in the episode was fantastic. First, the idea of stories plays back to the Varys idea of where power resides (and gives GRRM a pat on the back). Second, and far more importantly, is the commentary about Dany and what it says about the audience (and the characters, which are a proxy for us). She did terrible things, but we shrugged them off because they were done to those who we feel deserved them. So instead of seeing her as buying into her black and white conception (you're with me or against me) of breaking the wheel and considering what it would mean when her enemies were not our own, we saw it as her aligning with our ideals (freeing slaves, being a champion of the downtrodden). Basically, we placed her in a box of our own construction, and we're disappointed when we find out that we were wrong. But with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that her transformation was far more subtle than it seemed at first blush; once someone is in the way of her real goals (she bought into herself 100%, and as Tyrion said last episode how could she not?), they are an enemy that must be defeated an she is righteous (in her own mind) for doing so. I thought this point was directly and excellently made by Tyrion. It was a play on the audience and what we expect from stories. This was GRRM's "does Aragorn commit genocide against the Orcs" moment, and it worked if you step back and look past the execution mistakes.

Overall, I'm satisfied. The season was rushed, and many mistakes were made, but the broad strokes were very good. It's too bad that D&D were in a rush to get out of this project, but that blame is in large part on GRRM for not providing a better roadmap by actually finishing the books. I think this season will be looked back on in 10 years as good but with some errors in execution. Right now everyone is so riled up about things that they're nitpicking every little detail, like when a team loses a basketball game and we question substitution patterns and second quarter foul calls.

Sansa nude.
giphy.gif

The biggest issue with essentially the entire last season is that it went away from pretty much everything that made the show great: story telling, shocking deaths, etc.

So you're trying to tell me that Grey Worm -- and to a lesser extent, Yara -- got over the murder of their Queen in 5 minutes? OK.

I didn't hate it, but doing the final two seasons in 13 episodes was just an awful decision.

It was a meta story telling experience, and that's perfectly aligned with what GRRM has been doing this whole time. The shocking deaths were not shocking deaths for their own sake, they were part of that storytelling that was designed to challenge the Tolkien-based fantasy archetype.

Kind of let down. No one to blame except D&D, IMO. Not rushing and connecting everything together would have made it probably the GOAT.

Bronn coming back was stupid (what was he in, 4 total minutes this season?). Tyrion crying for 3 minutes was unnecessary. Drogon just says No Worries Jon, have a good one. Brienne long writing scene ehhh. What were the green eyes Arya was supposed to kill? The other 6 kingdoms are already cool with Sansa breaking off and doing her own thing? Why would they not connect Azor Ahai to Jon killing Dany? What was ever the point of Bran being able to warg / 3 eyed Raven?

Great show, disappointing last season or 2.

Small complaint-Why did Brienne and Davos get a vote? At least Davos acknowledges he probably shouldn’t get a vote.

Larger complaint-They didn’t break the wheel. They added more shit to the wheel. Now instead of the crown get passed to the oldest son they elect a leader. Oh yea definitely no more politics in play now.

Probably just complaining because this season has sucked although the last 15 minutes was great with the small council and the Starks going their separate ways.

The one that wanted to break the wheel is dead. But if they come together and pick a king as a committee every time it can stop all the huge wars that erupt when a king or queen dies .

Reactions: Big_Blue79
The one that wanted to break the wheel is dead. But if they come together and pick a king as a committee every time it can stop all the huge wars that erupt when a king or queen dies .

These guys yea. They are all “good” character people. The problem is you can’t predict the future generations won’t get into wars over the throne.

See, I’m the type who says “Not everything needs to be explained. It just is.” The spiral was a symbol of the children of the forest. That’s it. We don’t need to know why, you know? I like a story that is like life, where not everything gets wrapped up neatly.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I don't think this is true of all sagas, but for GoT, at least, I was more into plot than character development, and consistent disappointments like Ned's death, Renly's death, Oberon's death, and the Red Wedding prepared me to roll with whatever was going to happen. So I was fine with the whole last season, though I understand the criticism. It was definitely rushed. But whatever.

My partner got an episode behind, so I rewatched it with them before the finale Sunday, and really early, before Dany had burned Varys, even, they turned to me and said, like, "Dany has gone bad. She's turned." Rewatching the rest of that episode, then, I saw her eventual temper tantrum on King's Landing as plausible. And so, while rushed and imperfect, whatever. It was fine. I enjoyed it and I'm totally fine with it.

Read The Wheel of Time. It’s 14 books long, an addictive read if you like fantasy novels like LOTR or Game of Thrones, and it will definitely hold you over until the sports dead time passes.
I've heard "The Name of the Wind" is a really good fantasy series, and Showtime is currently developing a show based on it called the Kingkiller Chronicles.

I'm almost done with book 2 of ASOIAF and have really been enjoying it.

After 70k votes. Chernobyl is now the highest rated TV show in history on IMDb. It's ranked higher than 'Band of Brothers,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'Game of Thrones,' 'Planet Earth,' Sopranos' and 'The Wire'.

One episode to go.

Last edited:
speaking of "Wheel of Time" did any of you see that pilot episode fox did a few years ago they shoved out at 2 am one morning???

OMG its so god awful. They were wanting to do a real show one day but needed to make something to keep the rights so they just shoved together a pilot . hopefully Disney owns it and adapts it to a series.

ADVERTISEMENT