ADVERTISEMENT

Give a basketball hot take

Meanwhile, Kentucky fans talk up the shitty SEC. Go figure.

I don't think anyone's trying to pass those schools off as powerhouses. And I'm not sure why it matters, considering the SEC currently has zero powerhouses with Kentucky being down.

There's absolutely no legit reason to think the SEC will be stronger than the Big 12 soon. Btw, maybe you didn't get the news, but Arizona is joining.

So a league that is already better than the SEC is bringing in Arizona/Houston/Colorado/BYU/Cincinnati/Arizona St, while losing two mediocre programs. And somehow this adds up to the SEC being superior?
Lol, the SEC has 10 national titles to their name, how many does the BIG12 have? Shitty SEC? Hilarious.

And just because UK has been down for 3 years, doesn't mean UK isn’t a powerhouse, that’s just crazy.

How can you be the #1 rated blueblood program and not be a powerhouse???

Cincy isn't shit...haven't been for years and very doubtful they will against better comp. BYU, AZ State, Colorado...? Have they ever done anything notable in college hoops? I only remember the 95' AZ State team that had 'Super Mario' and UK trounced them in the tourney.

Nobody said those are great programs. They're just decent. Let's not forget that they're also adding Arizona and Houston. Two programs that have clearly been superior to Oklahoma or Texas, especially with Texas losing Beard and being stuck with a mediocre coach.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
5 titles since 1999. Missed 9 NCAAT's. But also had 5 Final Fours, 6 Elite 8's and 7 SW 16's.

AS a fan you would pass on 5 national titles, over 2, just becasue being ggod and in the NCAAT every year, winning conference titles, TRUMPS winning 5 titles---going to 6 Final Fours and 6 Elite 8's?

Really?

Since 1999 Kansas has...

2 titles
6 FF's
11 Elite 8's

Has not missed the NCAAT, but has been bounced 8X's in the first or 2nd round.

You wouldnt trade for 3 more National titles, over missing the NCAAT in those 8 1st/2nd round losses?

You are lying............

Lol, the SEC has 10 national titles to their name, how many does the BIG12 have? Shitty SEC? Hilarious.

And just because UK has been down for 3 years, doesn't mean UK isn’t a powerhouse, that’s just crazy.

Bruh, UK has 80% of those...For much of its existence, the SEC has been pretty much a one trick pony when it comes to the NCAAT.

And FTR, SEC has 11 titles in basketball:

UK 8
Florida 2
Arkanasas 1

We're talking about the SEC potentially becoming stronger than the current Big 12, right? Florida's titles from 15 years ago have nothing to do with what the league has done lately.

Three different Big 12 teams have played in the title game in the last four tourneys. In 2020 the league would have had the prohibitive favorite plus another 1 seed. Compare head to head records over the last several years, tourney wins, computer ratings, anything you want.

Head scratcher here, you are acting like college basketball and college football are the same. They most certainly are not, especially when we're talking about a football league like the SEC.

There are so many differences between BIG12 basketball and SEC football that it's not even on the same planet.

If TCU won the BIG12 by sweeping everyone, that would be the equivalent of UK winning the SEC east and playing in the SEC title game. So yeah, UK, an SEC bottom feeder for decades, winning the SEC would be crazy ans certainly worth bragging about.

You keep talking like the BIG12 is miles ahead of the SEC in basketball, but it's not. The BIG12 has two teams that have won titles in the modern era, the SEC has 2 as well and Florida won back to back. Plus, Arkansas has one. If the BIG12 was so good and the SEC sucked so bad, why has the BIG12 not fared as well in the NCAAT historically? Auburn and South Carolina have been in recent final 4's, that has to account for something.

The bottom line is, the BIG12 is a more balanced league, the teams below KU and Baylor are all very close to even, whereas the top of the SEC is deeper, but the league also has programs every year that aren't even NIT caliber.

Trust me, KU would not fare any better in SEC play than UK has, in fact, you can bet that any team that loses to Bradley, Bucknel and Northern Iowa would not have won the SEC. That home and home stuff the BIG12 does is a nice advantage to have.

It figures I would be stuck in a dumb conversation about conference accolades with a Kansas fan… .a Kansas fan that claimed KU fans don't honk about conference accolades. Ugh.

KU wouldn't fare better in the SEC than Kentucky has during that span? You're right...a program that's averaged close to 30 wins/year for decades, been no worse than a 4 seed under Self, with a top SOS every year, wouldn't fare better than a team that had multiple NIT invites, a losing season and a bunch of low seeds. Makes sense.

And your "1 SEC football title is a bigger accomplishment than 20 consecutive Big 12 titles" take is very rational. I'm sure all unbiased parties would agree. You're doing a great job of painting yourself as the rational fan here. 😂

I know you homers think the SEC has secretly been better than the Big 12 during that period, but there's absolutely no logic behind that thought. And every national analyst would laugh at the suggestion.

^^^^here we go again, everything else be damned if it doesn't fit in the timeframed bubble this dude lives in.

Yeah....how stupid to bring up the current state of Big 12 and SEC programs in a discussion about which league will be superior in the near future. We should probably discuss the Billy Donovan and Rupp years instead.

Last edited:
Nobody said those are great programs. They're just decent. Let's not forget that they're also adding Arizona and Houston. Two programs that have clearly been superior to Oklahoma or Texas, especially with Texas losing Beard and being stuck with a mediocre coach.
Of course, now that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving, they suck. Haha.
Also, what has Arizona done to be thought of as this great program?

KU wouldn't fare better in the SEC than Kentucky has during that span? You're right...a program that's averaged close to 30 wins/year for decades, been no worse than a 4 seed under Self, with a top SOS every year, wouldn't fare better than a team that had multiple NIT invites, a losing season and a bunch of low seeds. Makes sense.

And your "1 SEC football title is a bigger accomplishment than 20 consecutive Big 12 titles" take is very rational. I'm sure all unbiased parties would agree. You're doing a great job of painting yourself as the rational fan here. 😂

I know you homers think the SEC has secretly been better than the Big 12, but there's absolutely no logic behind that thought. And every national analyst would laugh at the suggestion.

Yeah....how stupid to bring up the current state of Big 12 and SEC programs in a discussion about which league will be superior in the near future. We should probably discuss the Billy Donovan and Rupp years instead.
You immediately downplayed Florida's two titles...which is 2 more than what a lot of Big 12 teams have.

Like I said, if it don't fit in your little timeframed bubble, it doesn't matter. Tell that to your Big 12 conference mates that have zero titles that those titles don't matter.

Bruh, UK has 80% of those...For much of its existence, the SEC has been pretty much a one trick pony when it comes to the NCAAT.

And FTR, SEC has 11 titles in basketball:

UK 8
Florida 2
Arkanasas 1
Yeah, it is 11, but in this conversation, the BIG12 has KU as it's 'UK'. It’s not like that league has 2 blue bloods either.

They have an Arkansas (Baylor) and a Florida (1940's Oklahoma State).

Oh, they have a South Carolina (Texas) and an Auburn (Oklahoma), so really, it comes down to UK winning 4 more titles than Kansas, that’s the only difference.

Well, 4 more, unless KU fans want to claim their Helms titles.

Reactions: JC for 3
5 titles since 1999. Missed 9 NCAAT's. But also had 5 Final Fours, 6 Elite 8's and 7 SW 16's.

AS a fan you would pass on 5 national titles, over 2, just becasue being ggod and in the NCAAT every year, winning conference titles, TRUMPS winning 5 titles---going to 6 Final Fours and 6 Elite 8's?

Really?

Since 1999 Kansas has...

2 titles
6 FF's
11 Elite 8's

You wouldnt trade for 3 more National titles, over missing the NCAAT in those 8 1st/2nd round losses?

That’s what I've been saying, but apparently BIG12 championships are the deciding factor according to KU fans that claim KU fans don't brag about conference titles. Go figure.

Currently, the SEC is the top dog in football. Not sure there's a valid argument against that.

In basketball, with Texas and (to a lesser extent) Oklahoma coming to a conference that already has:

• UK
  • ut
  • AU
  • Bama
  • UF
  • Arkansas
  • LSU
...it's going to be better as far as hoops are concerned as well when compared to:

• KU
  • Baylor
  • T Tech
  • K State
  • WVU
  • BYU
  • Houston
  • Cincy
  • UCF
  • Iowa St
  • OK St
  • TCU
TCU will need to show some consistency in hoops before taking them seriously. Houston no longer in a pansy conference is also something that remains to be seen. OK State, UCF, Cincy, Iowa St, BYU....certainly not 'powerhouse' hoops programs.

you forgot the Pac12 schools joining the Big12. Arizona/ASU/Washingotn and Colorado. Arizona is a bigger get than anyone the SEC added.

We're talking about the SEC potentially becoming stronger than the current Big 12, right? Florida's titles from 15 years ago have nothing to do with what the league has done lately.

Three different Big 12 teams have played in the title game in the last four tourneys. In 2020 the league would have had the prohibitive favorite plus another 1 seed. Compare head to head records over the last several years, tourney wins, computer ratings, anything you want.
So you're time framing now? Man, you're better than that.

Cool, 3 BIG12 teams have played in title games recently, well, South Carolina and Auburn both played in recent final 4's and came within inches of winning those games, but so what, you're time framing. The SEC had success in years the BIG12 got bounced early, isn't that how it works sometimes?

The BIG12 is seconds away from becoming a mid major confetence, so I would hold off on conference honking if I were you.

Remember, you're the one that denied KU fanse brag about BIG12 accomplishments, even though that's all you've done for 2 pages.

I know you homers think the SEC has secretly been better than the Big 12, but there's absolutely no logic behind that thought. And every national analyst would laugh at the suggestion.

I never said the SEC was better than the BIG12, in fact, I've never seen any UK fan say that, but I'll say this, the SEC isn't that far behind and historically, the SEC has more accomplishments, it just does (I know how you like timeframing). You keep acting like the BIG12 is miles better than the SEC, it's not.

But RIGHT NOW, in the present, the BIG12 is a better conference in basketball, but things will be very different in the near future.

I don't think you understand just how strong the SEC is in football, in fact, I know you don't understand.

How do you think KU would fare in a league with UGA, UT, Fla, LSU, Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss and Auburn? If KU won that conference, you would cream your pants for the rest if your life.

you forgot the Pac12 schools joining the Big12. Arizona/ASU/Washingotn and Colorado. Arizona is a bigger get than anyone the SEC added.
How so? Because Az won a title 16 years ago? What else have they accomplished?

Really?

Since 1999 Kansas has...

2 titles
6 FF's
11 Elite 8's

People want to keep misrepresenting what I'm saying, but I've made my position clear. If I could wave a wand and suddenly have 5 titles over the last 25 years (along with the rest of UConn's resume), I'd do it. But if we're talking about actually living through it...y'know, watching every minute of every game, following recruiting and team news year round, etc...I wouldn't trade being a perennial contender for suffering through several straight losing seasons, 1 tourney win in 8 years, and a lot of mediocrity.

Basically you're saying that it's worth enduring a bunch of bad to mediocre years just to be able to brag to anonymous people online about 1 statistic. Seems kinda silly to me. And apparently UConn fans agree, because a fanbase that used to be pretty well-represented online during the Calhoun years completely disappeared for almost a decade, and only briefly returned for a few weeks after winning the damn national title.

LOL. Please explain how either Texas or Oklahoma are superior to Arizona's basketball program. This should be good.

You're just rackin' up the hot takes...

that's an odd angle to take. Are you claiming that someone joining the SEC has won a title more recently than Arizona did?

Do you really think that Arizona's program isn't on a higher level than Texas and OU?

LOL. Please explain how either Texas or Oklahoma are superior to Arizona's basketball program. This should be good.

You're just rackin' up the hot takes...
Well, since the BIG12 is the holy Grail of college basketball and I'm conversing with a huge BIG12 homer, this is quite easy:

BIG12 conference Champs:
Arizona: 0
Oklahoma 14

BIG12 tournament titles:
Arizona 0
Oklahoma 7

On the national scene:
Final 4's:
Oklahoma: 5
Arizona: 4

National Titles:
Oklahoma: 0
Arizona: 1

So, Arizona has 1 more title, but Oklahoma has 1 more FF and 14 more BIG12 championships.

Now remember, y'all said you would take KU's 2 titles and 14 straight BIG12 titles over UConn's 5 national championships. You can't have it both ways.

score:

KYJeff1: 1
 Exitflagger: nil

You guys are such BIG12 homers, you're already crapping on Oklahoma and Texas and praising Houston and Arizona. The homerism is next level and hilarious, because you keep trying to deny it. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JC for 3
that's an odd angle to take. Are you claiming that someone joining the SEC has won a title more recently than Arizona did?

Do you really think that Arizona's program isn't on a higher level than Texas and OU?
I'm just going along with the timeframing that's been happening here. Apparently UK is no longer "a powerhouse program" because it's been down for a whole 3 years, even though we were a 2 seed just 2 years ago. How can I count a title that happened 26 years ago???

But in all seriousness, Oklahoma has 1 more FF than Arizona and in modern times, both programs are on equal ground, do you not agree?

I acknowledged that and later told him outside of AZ, non of those teams have done shit of note in college hoops. AZ State has had some good seasons, maybe Colorado too, but that's about it. Not sure if Washington has ever really done anything.

So you're time framing now? Man, you're better than that.

Cool, 3 BIG12 teams have played in title games recently, well, South Carolina and Auburn both played in recent final 4's and came within inches of winning those games, but so what, you're time framing. The SEC had success in years the BIG12 got bounced early, isn't that how it works sometimes?

The BIG12 is seconds away from becoming a mid major confetence, so I would hold off on conference honking if I were you.

Remember, you're the one that denied KU fanse brag about BIG12 accomplishments, even though that's all you've done for 2 pages.

Holy shit, dude. Yes, I'm talking about the current state of the conferences. Are we supposed to pretend that Billy Donovan is still at Florida?

Hell, if anything, it's a benefit to you to compare the last several years. The SEC's been far better in recent years, right?

People want to keep misrepresenting what I'm saying, but I've made my position clear. If I could wave a wand and suddenly have 5 titles over the last 25 years (along with the rest of UConn's resume), I'd do it. But if we're talking about actually living through it...y'know, watching every minute of every game, following recruiting and team news year round, etc...I wouldn't trade being a perennial contender for suffering through several straight losing seasons, 1 tourney win in 8 years, and a lot of mediocrity.

Basically you're saying that it's worth enduring a bunch of bad to mediocre years just to be able to brag to anonymous people online about 1 statistic. Seems kinda silly to me. And apparently UConn fans agree, because a fanbase that used to be pretty well-represented online during the Calhoun years completely disappeared for almost a decade, and only briefly returned for a few weeks after winning the damn national title.
But nobody is misrepresenting what you're saying, you're trying to explain why you would take KU's 2 titles over UConn's 5, because UConn had some bad seasons and what's funny is, you're glossing over the Bucknell, Bradley, Wichita state and Northern Iowa losses. To me, those might be worse than missing the tournament altogether.

You KU fans are ridiculous homers. UK fans are assholes, no doubt, but you guys take homerism to a level I've never seen.

Holy shit, dude. Yes, I'm talking about the current state of the conferences. Are we supposed to pretend that Billy Donovan is still at Florida?

Hell, if anything, it's a benefit to you to compare the last several years. The SEC's been far better in recent years, right?
But aren't you pretending that Lute Olson is still at Arizona?

But nobody is misrepresenting what you're saying, you're trying to explain why you would take KU's 2 titles over UConn's 5, because UConn had some bad seasons and what's funny is, you're glossing over the Bucknell, Bradley, Wichita state and Northern Iowa losses. To me, those might be worse than missing the tournament altogether.

You KU fans are ridiculous homers. UK fans are assholes, no doubt, but you guys take homerism to a level I've never seen.

Nothing I've said is irrational. Which is why you have to put words in my mouth to try to "win" the argument.

Now let's check out some of your takes from just your last few posts:

1 SEC football title is worth more than 20 consecutive Big 12 basketball titles.

Texas and Oklahoma are currently better basketball programs than Arizona and Houston.

KU would not have fared better in the SEC than Kentucky did the last two decades.

The SEC is going to be better than the Big 12 in basketball very soon (still haven't given any reasons for this).

Yep, we're the huge homers, dude. Whatever you say. 😂

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Well, since the BIG12 is the holy Grail of college basketball and I'm conversing with a huge BIG12 homer, this is quite easy:

BIG12 conference Champs:
Arizona: 0
Oklahoma 14

BIG12 tournament titles:
Arizona 0
Oklahoma 7

On the national scene:
Final 4's:
Oklahoma: 5
Arizona: 4

National Titles:
Oklahoma: 0
Arizona: 1

So, Arizona has 1 more title, but Oklahoma has 1 more FF and 14 more BIG12 championships.

Now remember, y'all said you would take KU's 2 titles and 14 straight BIG12 titles over UConn's 5 national championships. You can't have it both ways.

score:

KYJeff1: 1
 Exitflagger: nil

You guys are such BIG12 homers, you're already crapping on Oklahoma and Texas and praising Houston and Arizona. The homerism is next level and hilarious, because you keep trying to deny it. 😂

Sweet Jesus. Take this trash to Rafters.

As much as you clowns try to distance yourself from that shithole and pretend it's a poor representation of the fanbase, all it takes is a slight nudge to bring it out in full force.

Statistical Facts = 'trash'?

.....ok.

Do you really need someone to explain why it's trash to compare the Big 12 accomplishments of a team that hasn't played a single game as a member of the league to a program that spent 80+ years in the league?

Holy shit...

Do you really need someone to explain why it's trash to compare the Big 12 accomplishments of a team that hasn't played a single game as a member of the league to a program that spent 80+ years in the league?

Holy shit...
Well if AZ is sooooo great, why does it matter? So far they've accomplished nothing in the Big 12. That was the point that sailed over your head.

Of course, now that Texas and Oklahoma are leaving, they suck. Haha.
Also, what has Arizona done to be thought of as this great program?

Did I say they suck? I said that Arizona and Houston are better programs. Which literally everyone but you would agree with. And even you would've agreed with no hesitation before they joined the mighty SEC. 🤣

Last year was the first time Texas won more than one tourney game in almost two decades, and they lost the coach who recruited that team.

Since 2010, Arizona has as many tourney wins as Texas and OU combined. Add Houston and it's 27-15. But sure, they've been equals. 🤣

And if you wanna talk all-time numbers, Dukedevilz' rankings have Arizona at #15 all time. Oklahoma is 28 and Texas 38. You won't find a ranking that has either close to or above AZ.

You've got no rational angle here, but why would that stop you now?

Last edited:
Reactions: englandnu
Well if AZ is sooooo great, why does it matter? So far they've accomplished nothing in the Big 12. That was the point that sailed over your head.

Who gives a shit about what they've accomplished in the Big 12? Why would that even be brought up?

The jury's still out on Houston, but we all know how much recent success means to you.

And we all know that you people think that ancient history is somehow a predictor of future success.

4 straight Sweet 16s, with a final four and two Elite 8s. Sure, "jury's out." Is the jury still out on Sampson, too? Just a young pup with potential...

The jury is definitely out on the TX and OU coaches. And the likelihood is that neither ever touches Kelvin Sampson as a coach.

And we all know that you people think that ancient history is somehow a predictor of future success.

4 straight Sweet 16s, with a final four and two Elite 8s. Sure, "jury's out." Is the jury still out on Sampson, too? Just a young pup with potential...

The jury is definitely out on the TX and OU coaches. And the likelihood is that neither ever touches Kelvin Sampson as a coach.
....AAC conference had plenty do with that.

Funny how the guy that claims he doesn't make generalizing statements does this in the first sentence ^^^

....AAC conference had plenty do with that.

Funny how the guy that claims he doesn't make generalizing statements does this in the first sentence ^^^

Actually, I'm talking about you and Jeff.

Still trying to figure out how recent success (and current coaches) is irrelevant to a debate about which league will have more success in the near future. What would be relevant criteria?

Actually, I'm talking about you and Jeff.

Still trying to figure out how recent success (and current coaches) is irrelevant to a debate about which league will have more success in the near future. What would be relevant criteria?
Probably a lot of research involved, if someone wants to do it, be my guest. My first thought would be to get the collective #'s for each conference (with each conference's new programs included) for:

• NCAA Titles
  • Final Fours
  • NCAA tournament appearances
  • NCAA tournament wins
  • NIT Titles
....be interesting to see who comes out on top. Even a schlep like Cincy brings 2 titles to the table for ya.

Probably a lot of research involved, if someone wants to do it, be my guest. My first thought would be to get the collective #'s for each conference (with each conference's new programs included) for:

• NCAA Titles
  • Final Fours
  • NCAA tournament appearances
  • NCAA tournament wins
  • NIT Titles
....be interesting to see who comes out on top. Even a schlep like Cincy brings 2 titles to the table for ya.

You're saying that tallying all-time numbers is the best way to predict their future success?

Apparently you don't even agree with yourself on this one...

Cincy isn't shit...haven't been for years and very doubtful they will against better comp.

Nothing I've said is irrational. Which is why you have to put words in my mouth to try to "win" the argument.

Now let's check out some of your takes from just your last few posts:

1 SEC football title is worth more than 20 consecutive Big 12 basketball titles.

Texas and Oklahoma are currently better basketball programs than Arizona and Houston.

KU would not have fared better in the SEC than Kentucky did the last two decades.

The SEC is going to be better than the Big 12 in basketball very soon (still haven't given any reasons for this).

Yep, we're the huge homers, dude. Whatever you say. 😂
1 SEC football title, from a program like UK, is a bigger accomplishment than 14 (not sure where you got 20 from) BIG12 basketball titles by the best program in the league by far… yes, 100%.

When did the word "currently" become a thing when comparing Houston, Arizona, Oklahoma and Texas? Remember now, if we have to go by "currently", you don't get to use Arizona's 1 title and if you can’t do that, well, Arizona is no better than Texas and Oklahoma and, besides that, Arizona didn’t even make the NCAAT in 18, 19, or 20. Houston made the dang NCAAT one time from 1992-2017 and you think you’re getting a better program??? Houston made a final 4 in 21, well, Oklahoma made a FF in 2016, but what do you think is going to happen whe Kelvin Sampson hangs it up?

No, KU would not have faired better in the SEC than UK has, you forget, UK whipped everyones asses from 2010-2017, but UT, Arkansas, Auburn and Alabama have surged since then, so no, KU would not have done better than UK and UK proved it in Lawrence just 2 years ago.

Yes, the SEC certainly is going to be better than the big12, you think loading up with mid major programs is going to make that league stronger??? You keep thinking Arizona is some powerhouse, but the results say otherwise. Again, they recently went 3 straight seasons without getting to the tournament and consistently fall short of expectations. You’re overselling both programs.

No, I'm not. Any other questions?
LOL, so wait, when I talked about Florida's 06 and 07 titles, you said "Are we supposed to pretend that Billy Donovan is still at Florida?"

But it's okay for you to bring up Arizona's 1997 title???

This makes sense to you?

ADVERTISEMENT