ADVERTISEMENT

Give a basketball hot take

We've been living in the UCONN era for 20+ years now. The blueblood fans have their heads in the sand and don't want to accept this universal truth.

CBB Eras:
1999-2023 = UCONN
90s = Blueblood era
80s = traditional powers era
70s = UCLA
60s = UCLA
40s/50s = hodge podge of teams, no dominant school

We've been living in the UCONN era for 20+ years now. The blueblood fans have their heads in the sand and don't want to accept this universal truth.

CBB Eras:
1999-2023 = UCONN
90s = Blueblood era
80s = traditional powers era
70s = UCLA
60s = UCLA
40s/50s = hodge podge of teams, no dominant school

5 titles since 1999 with 3 different coaches

Pretty crazy.

What's you take on a shoulder replacement? I'd consider getting my bad one replaced at this point. Just not getting any better.
I'd 100% do it again. First 2-3 months is a monster. Having to sleep in a recliner...with that huge brace on. Then the PT----which starts the day of the surgery. After that, shit got easier---but summna bitch. Of course the pain meds help. But at the end of the day, its worth it.

For me though, I probably went back to work way to quick, and now its causing me some issues. If you do it, STICK TO THE PLAN. I got antsy, went back to working basketball waaaaaaay to soon, and then to my job. So now I am having some issues.

Uconn has 5 dont they? 99, 04, 11, 14, 23.
You are correct sir. I blame the pain meds.

Crazy with that program. Miss NCAAT for 5 straight years----Win a title. Its like a thing for them lately....

Missed NCAAT in 2010---Won title in 2011.
Missed NCAAT in 2013---Won title in 2014

Although they made 2022 NCAAT, they had missed NCAA from 2016-21.

Crazy

I would rather only have 2 titles the last 25 years and make the tourney every single year with dozens of conf titles and conf tourney titles over Uconns 5 titles and a dozen missed tourneys, NIT's and losing seasons.
I mean, it snot that bad...Since first title in 99..

.They have played in 15 NCAAT----winning 4 of them. Although thye have missed 9 NCAAT in the same span.

I mean if I told you that Kansas would win 4 of the next 24 NCAAT's, but also would miss 9----would you take that over.....24 startight NCAAT, 2 titles and a bunch of conference titles and 1 seed flameouts?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Speaking of UCONN...

IU plays the Huskies in 1st round of the Empire Classic. Other game is Texas vs Louisville.

Reactions: Sparty_57
My hot take:

Mgbako is the real deal---So is Ware. Reneau is much improved as a 5* soph. XJ returns to form....Gunn finds his HS shot...

IU wins the B10 by one game over Purude----with Woody again sweeping the Boilers.

My hot take:

Mgbako is the real deal---So is Ware. Reneau is much improved as a 5* soph. XJ returns to form....Gunn finds his HS shot...

IU wins the B10 by one game over Purude----with Woody again sweeping the Boilers.
how much norco you take today???

• Haha
Reactions: RipThru
My hot take:

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but IU is all about XJ and what kind of year he has.

These same fans of these blueblood programs all say it's all about titles and hanging banners. UConn has done that better than anybody the past 25 or 30 years.

Kentucky went 9-16 a couple years ago and has 1 ncaa tourney win the past 4 or 5 years

When have I said it's all about titles? Or any other KU fan, for that matter. 😆

When have I said it's all about titles? Or any other KU fan, for that matter. 😆

Whenever it fits the argument. (Not talking about you in particular)

If they argue with a fan of a consistent winning program that hasn't got over the hump to win a title... then it's all about titles and banners and nothing else matters.

If they argue with someone like UConn or Nova fans who have more recent titles... then it's about history and consistency.

If they argue with a UCLA or Indiana fan... then it's what have you done for me lately.

Last edited:
I mean, it snot that bad...Since first title in 99..

.They have played in 15 NCAAT----winning 4 of them. Although thye have missed 9 NCAAT in the same span.

I mean if I told you that Kansas would win 4 of the next 24 NCAAT's, but also would miss 9----would you take that over.....24 startight NCAAT, 2 titles and a bunch of conference titles and 1 seed flameouts?
Having a winning top 10 team every year matters more than consistently losing with a random title in a 1 and done tourney

Reactions: boilerzz
You are correct sir. I blame the pain meds.

Crazy with that program. Miss NCAAT for 5 straight years----Win a title. Its like a thing for them lately....

Missed NCAAT in 2010---Won title in 2011.
Missed NCAAT in 2013---Won title in 2014

Although they made 2022 NCAAT, they had missed NCAA from 2016-21.

Crazy
Michigan State beat an excellent UConn team in a final-four matchup in 2009.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
Having a winning top 10 team every year matters more than consistently losing with a random title in a 1 and done tourney
They have won 5 of them, bruh...

In 36 NCAAT's, they have won 5 titles. Winning a natty about every 7 NCAAT trips.

And tbh, look they had one bad stretch: 2016-21. Didn't make the NCAAT. But aside from that, pretty much a mainstay in the NCAAT. Calhoun turned them into a monster in the early 90's----Kept them there for a good minute.

90, 95, 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009 and 2011----ELite 8's---BOLD=Natty. Jim kept them at the top or near for a good while..

2014 title number 4.
2023--title #5.

Again, minus 2016-21, UCONN has been very ****ing good,

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but IU is all about XJ and what kind of year he has.
Obviously how he performs will be huge. Starting PG. And hate the dude, or not, he was very good for Indiana. Losing him last year was a huge blow---but a bigger boost getting him for this year.

IMO how Mgbako goes will be a huge key for IU. Need that kid to be really good.

IU needs to shoot more three's. I have said that for the past 147 years. SHOOT MORE.

There are good pieces in Bloomington. How those pieces mesh, pan out is the big question. But no mistake----talent is there.

how much norco you take today???
Oxycodone bruh----I don't **** around with that junior high shit... 🤣

Being serious, I have no idea what to think of my Hoosiers. I;ve said this many times---ON PAPER, they could be really good. They could also be meh. TBH, I expect a Top 4 finish....Top 4-5 NCAAT seed, and a legit shot at a SW16, possibly further. Lots and lots and lots of questions.

Whenever it fits the argument. (Not talking about you in particular)

If they argue with a fan of a consistent winning program that hasn't got over the hump to win a title... then it's all about titles and banners and nothing else matters.

If they argue with someone like UConn or Nova fans who have more recent titles... then it's about history and consistency.

If they argue with a UCLA or Indiana fan... then it's what have you done for me lately.

I've literally never said it's all about titles. I think we all know that the best team doesn't always win 6 in a row in March. If it were all about titles, why does no one consider UCLA the GOAT? They have three more than anyone else and twice as many as some of the schools ranked ahead of them.

In retrospect, obviously it'd be nice to say that KU won 5 in the last 25 years. But would I rather have been a UConn fan during that span? Nah. Over half those seasons were somewhere between mediocre and horrible. And they did absolutely nothing for almost a decade before last season. Hence the disappearance of a fanbase that used to be pretty well-represented on the 'net. If they're the dominant program that everyone should envy, where are they?

Depends on the discussion, and whom folk are having it with.

Sounds like you're describing other fanbases. It doesn't really make sense for KU. When would it make sense for a KU fan to pull the "titles are all that matter" card? The only schools that come close to KU's consistency and overall success (especially over the last 4 decades) have more titles.

Unless Doogie ranks UCLA #1 all-time, he's the one changing his stance to fit his argument. No serious basketball fan simply ranks programs by number of titles.

I've literally never said it's all about titles. I think we all know that the best team doesn't always win 6 in a row in March. If it were all about titles, why does no one consider UCLA the GOAT? They have three more than anyone else and twice as many as some of the schools ranked ahead of them.

In retrospect, obviously it'd be nice to say that KU won 5 in the last 25 years. But would I rather have been a UConn fan during that span? Nah. Over half those seasons were somewhere between mediocre and horrible. And they did absolutely nothing for almost a decade before last season. Hence the disappearance of a fanbase that used to be pretty well-represented on the 'net. If they're the dominant program that everyone should envy, where are they?

Conference realignment had a lot to do with that I'm sure.

Not that they were ever a huge or super passionate fanbase to begin with, but they took a big hit when the old Big East split up and they went AAC.

Still won 2 titles in that time span though.

Also, not sure why you are talking about fanbases and their internet presences anyway. I didnt say KU or UK fans wanted to be UConn fans. I said those programs wish they were UConn the past 25 yrs. I guarantee Bill Self would give up basically all those Big 12 regular season titles if he could add 3 more Natty's to his collection. Cal and Kentucky would sell their souls for 4 more.

If it makes you feel any better... I'm jealous of all you assholes. I accepted a long time ago that I will die without seeing WVU ever win one in anything but rifle.

Last edited:
i accepted a long time ago that I will die without seeing WVU ever win one in anything but rifle.
And that's not even all that impressive considering there are only like 17 D-I men's rifle teams and there were probably way less than that when WVU won most of their titles.
good-news-bear-give-her-honey.gif

• Haha
a random title? You misspelled FIVE.
Duke, unc, ku and uk all having lost more in the final four that won.

5 for 6 in comparison to all of their NIT's and losing seasons is by far the luckiest statistic of all time.

They played two 8 seeds and a 5 seed. 1 of their HC's was dead awful.

You are mostly who you always are. Their NC's are not indicative to the state or history or consistency of their program.

UConn went 5/5 in Title Games
Kansas went 2/4

I am envious of UConn, fasho.

but those down years, the AAC
vs
Dancing as a 4 seed or better in 22/24 tourneys - 11x a 1, Big 12

Not entirely sure I'd trade.
Esp if I actually had to watch.

But I do get how that opinion might ruffle some mids.

Conference realignment had a lot to do with that I'm sure.

Not that they were ever a huge or super passionate fanbase to begin with, but they took a big hit when the old Big East split up and they went AAC.

Still won 2 titles in that time span though.

Also, not sure why you are talking about fanbases and their internet presences anyway. I didnt say KU or UK fans wanted to be UConn fans. I said those programs wish they were UConn the past 25 yrs. I guarantee Bill Self would give up basically all those Big 12 regular season titles if he could add 3 more Natty's to his collection. Cal and Kentucky would sell their souls for 4 more.

I view that as pretty much saying the same thing. I think there are two arguments here. Would I prefer KU to have 5 titles instead of two in that span? Of course. But if I could go back in time and choose my path, I wouldn't choose their run over KU's.

If you'd asked me this around 2014, I'd have jumped on it without a doubt. But before this year, Uconn had 1 tourney win in 8 years, with three straight losing seasons in there (Kentucky fans almost offed themselves after 1 losing season). They finished in the AP top 25 4x in their last 14 seasons. Their avg seed over the last dozen years is a 7. Avg record was 19-12, and they didn't exactly face murderers row during most of that stretch. Whole lotta mediocrity over that span, with just a couple moments of success. I think that had a lot more to do with their disappearance than conference realignment.

Now the Calhoun era? Hell of a run. No doubt.

Instead of swapping out KU's last 25 years for UConn's, I'd just borrow Doc Brown's DeLorean and travel to 2003 to tell Nick Collison to practice FTs for three hours the night before the Syracuse game. Then I'd travel to 2012 and break Anthony Davis's legs. Last, I'd warp to 2020 to tell that dumbass Emmert that there's no reason to cancel the NCAA tourney. Problem solved.

UConn went 5/5 in Title Games
Kansas went 2/4

I am envious of UConn, fasho.

but those down years, the AAC
vs
Dancing as a 4 seed or better in 22/24 tourneys - 11x a 1, Big 12

Not entirely sure I'd trade.
Esp if I actually had to watch.

But I do get how that opinion might ruffle some mids.
And you got to watch KU play in March Madness, extended season, more games to enjoy watching your beloved team play. They might not win it all, but every game you get to watch is a blessing. That's me! 👍
Of course, it's UK on my end.😉

These same fans of these blueblood programs all say it's all about titles and hanging banners. UConn has done that better than anybody the past 25 or 30 years.

Kentucky went 9-16 a couple years ago and has 1 ncaa tourney win the past 4 or 5 years
Kansas fans haven't really said that, they can't.

I would take UConn's 25 year run over anybody's.

Nobody cares about conference titles except Kansas fans. It’s definitely a weird thing to hang your hat on, but KU fans love their conference titles.

Not sure what they're going to do once the B12 dissolves, but for now, they love to honk about it.

Also, yeah, I get it, UConn has missed the tournament a bunch of times, but does anyone really remember all those teams that made the NCAAT, but lost by the sweet 16? No. So does missing the NCAAT really matter after the first weekend of games? No.

I don't care what anyone says, winning an NCAAT title, is the absolute pinnacle moment in this sport, nothing else comes close, so UConn's run, to me, is the most impressive 25 years since UCLA's runs in the 60's and 70's.

I would take UConn's 25 year run over anybody's.

Nobody cares about conference titles except Kansas fans. It’s definitely a weird thing to hang your hat on, but KU fans love their conference titles.

Not sure what they're going to do once the B12 dissolves, but for now, they love to honk about it.

Actually, I rarely hear/see a KU fan bragging about conference titles and I don't see any sign of it in this thread. Yeah, people were proud about winning 14 straight in a quality league. How weird!

What's weird is how often certain fanbases inject conference titles into the conversation. Probably because their teams can't even consistently win a league that's inferior to the Big 12.

KU's done a little more during that time than just win league titles. 2 nat'l titles, prohibitive favorite in the Covid year, final four every 4 years, Elite 8 every other year, almost 30 wins/yr vs one of the top SOS every season. Worst tourney seed in the Self era is a 4 and they have the most tourney wins this century.

Also, yeah, I get it, UConn has missed the tournament a bunch of times, but does anyone really remember all those teams that made the NCAAT, but lost by the sweet 16? No. So does missing the NCAAT really matter after the first weekend of games? No.

Considering you guys wanted to run your coach out of town after one bad season following a good run, I'd think you'd understand how shitty it would be to endure three straight losing seasons and 1 tourney win in 8 years.

Actually, I rarely hear/see a KU fan bragging about conference titles and I don't see any sign of it in this thread. Yeah, people were proud about winning 14 straight in a quality league. How weird!

What's weird is how often certain fanbases inject conference titles into the conversation. Probably because their teams can't even consistently win a league that's inferior to the Big 12.
LOL. If you "rarely see" KU fans honking about big 12 titles, then you just aren't paying attention, or just choosing to not acknowledge it, but this is extremely common with your brethren.

Feast your eyes on exhibit 1A. My man would rather win a bunch of conference titles than win 5 national titles.

Screenshot-20230815-111104-Chrome.jpg

Game-set-match. I really hope you don't try to defend this, you're better than that. I found this right in this thread on page 1.

ADVERTISEMENT