ADVERTISEMENT

FSU vs Nova for the AdvoCare title

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
I'll be on the road back home for most of this game, but interested in some objective thoughts. Nova obviously is a work in progress but they've looked pretty good since the Furman game. FSU is coming off a hard fought battle with a very talented LSU team.

Who y'all got?

I'll be on the road back home for most of this game, but interested in some objective thoughts. Nova obviously is a work in progress but they've looked pretty good since the Furman game. FSU is coming off a hard fought battle with a very talented LSU team.

Who y'all got?

Nova in a tight one.

How well does FSU defend the 3?

Hamilton should run their shooters off the 3 pt line, and force them to score in the paint. Nova's a good passing team, so more difficult said than done.

Nova has stumbled early but I expect them to win today. They shot poorly in the first half against Michigan. We need to close out well and be disciplined

Can’t believe they missed that blatant travel by Paschall on the two hand flush. Dude clearly shuffled both feet before he dribbled.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Can’t believe they missed that blatant travel by Paschall on the two hand flush. Dude clearly shuffled both feet before he dribbled.

The refs missed a few. Who was the Noles player that took 4-5 steps that Ravich counted on that drive.

Good tight game. Let’s do it again in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8

Good game, Nova. I made it home in time to see the second half after listening to first on radio. Seemed like y’all made a bunch of contested shots. Well done, tip of the cap.

First time all season where it looked like we really really missed Phil Cofer. He would have been huge to help defend on Paschall and in the short corner.

Good luck in the BE and maybe see you in March!

The refs missed a few. Who was the Noles player that took 4-5 steps that Ravich counted on that drive.

Good tight game. Let’s do it again in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8

Not sure, I missed the first half. Just know that refs are trained from day 1 to watch the two-step shuffle before a guy dribbles.

All good though, college refs are awful both ways typically.

Reactions: Bruiser1
Not sure, I missed the first half. Just know that refs are trained from day 1 to watch the two-step shuffle before a guy dribbles.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GE Nole

I watched 100 games so far this early season, I thing the refs are on point so far this year. They must have had training this past summer, every game seems to be called damn near perfect.
I hope it continues

I watched 100 games so far this early season, I thing the refs are on point so far this year. They must have had training this past summer, every game seems to be called damn near perfect.
I hope it continues

You must have missed the FSU/LSU game where they gave a kid a do over after he missed the front end of a 1 and 1, lol.

Last edited:
I missed that. What happened?

Closing minute of the game, LSU kid fouled way away from the basket. Clearly a 1 and 1. Goes to the line. Ref passes him the ball. He shoots and misses. FSU grabs the rebound, ref looks bewildered. They huddle. He says he thought it was 2 shots and was mistaken. LSU kid is given the ball back to start the whole thing over as a do over. Makes FT. Fortunately missed the second or else LSU would have won in regulation.

Closing minute of the game, LSU kid fouled way away from the basket. Clearly a 1 and 1. Goes to the line. Ref passes him the ball. He shoots and misses. FSU grabs the rebound, ref looks bewildered. They huddle. He says he thought it was 2 shots and was mistaken. LSU kid is given the ball back to start the whole thing over as a do over. Makes FT. Fortunately missed the second or else LSU would have won in regulation.
Did anyone else attempt to rebound? Sounds as if the official(s) announced it as a 2 shot foul.
Either way, that should never happen.

I thought we got the benefit of the bulk of the 50/50 calls in the first half. Got away with a couple walks too.

We had our chances and came up short. I am very encouraged by what I’ve seen thus far. Nova is a good team. I’m excited about this FSU team-especially when cofer comes back.

Reactions: GE Nole and CDZERA
To my understanding, he should not have been given another shot; or start the process over. He was entitled to the one shot. If the official(s) gave erroneous info, the play goes to the alternating possession arrow. Now, maybe there has been a rule change that I am not aware of. But, well, I'm usually aware of this. So unless I just overlooked it, that was the wrong thing to do.

Edit: This could be deemed a correctable error. But still---it was a 1-1. So I will stick with my initial thought; Go to the possession arrow. He was given his st attempt. I just don't see how you start over here. Gonna dig into my case book.

Last edited:
Only FSU players were on the block. LSU was back court except the shooter.
I wll have to get into my case book. But the way I understand the rule, if erroneous information is given(to the players), in this situation,you use the alternating possession arrow.

I wll have to get into my case book. But the way I understand the rule, if erroneous information is given(to the players), in this situation,you use the alternating possession arrow.

Is this something that a ref gets reprimanded for? I honestly do not know how refs are evaluated, but there needs to be more transparency with that process. Help fans understand that they are accountable to someone and talk about it when it happens. That's just my opinion, but referees are some of the more protected people in all sports for scrutiny.

Before you get all bent out if shape, I'm not saying they do a bad job, but they should have to answer for or at least be accountable publicly for mistakes.

Is this something that a ref gets reprimanded for? I honestly do not know how refs are evaluated, but there needs to be more transparency with that process. Help fans understand that they are accountable to someone and talk about it when it happens. That's just my opinion, but referees are some of the more protected people in all sports for scrutiny.

Before you get all bent out if shape, I'm not saying they do a bad job, but they should have to answer for or at least be accountable publicly for mistakes.
Yes, they do.

I don't get bent out of shape. I just answer questions. Sometimes, you guys don't like the answers.

Nothing good would ever come out of officials answering to the media. At any level. Or any sport.

BTW, If you don't think officials get reprimanded, look no further than Ted Valentine. And it happens all the time.

Yes, they do.

I don't get bent out of shape. I just answer questions. Sometimes, you guys don't like the answers.

Nothing good would ever come out of officials answering to the media. At any level. Or any sport.

BTW, If you don't think officials get reprimanded, look no further than Ted Valentine. And it happens all the time.

Dont care if refs answer to media, but fans would appreciate hearing about refs getting reprimanded for being shitty. No need to protect them.

Dont care if refs answer to media, but fans would appreciate hearing about refs getting reprimanded for being shitty. No need to protect them.
Why? Not to be a smart ass, but what would that do----Make you feel better? If you do a shitty job, think it would be fair for your neighbors to know how you were reprimanded? I can tell you first hand that a lot of officials are reprimanded. Daily. Someitmes as soon as a game is over. And just like any other job, once reprimanded, it goes in your file. A knock on your grade out. Get more than a few, odds are, you won't be working any post-season. So on and so forth. Thinng is, what fans feel an official should be reprimanded for, isn't always the case. Missing a travel, or a double dribble...or a foul. That shit happens. Unless it becomes a common occurance, a reprimand ain't happening. It will be discussed. Aske why you didn't call it. So forth and so on.. Most reprimands are due to admins. issues.

Fans aren't owed anything to bluntly honest.

Reactions: kl40504
Why? Not to be a smart ass, but what would that do----Make you feel better? If you do a shitty job, think it would be fair for your neighbors to know how you were reprimanded? I can tell you first hand that a lot of officials are reprimanded. Daily. Someitmes as soon as a game is over. And just like any other job, once reprimanded, it goes in your file. A knock on your grade out. Get more than a few, odds are, you won't be working any post-season. So on and so forth. Thinng is, what fans feel an official should be reprimanded for, isn't always the case. Missing a travel, or a double dribble...or a foul. That shit happens. Unless it becomes a common occurance, a reprimand ain't happening. It will be discussed. Aske why you didn't call it. So forth and so on.. Most reprimands are due to admins. issues.

Fans aren't owed anything to bluntly honest.

That's a terrible analogy about being bad at work. Would be more like an outside auditing firm coming in, imposing penalties incorrectly and then leaving with no repercussions and I'm left to deal with the consequences of their actions.

I don't expect you to agree, you're inherently biased.

That's a terrible analogy about being bad at work. Would be more like an outside auditing firm coming in, imposing penalties incorrectly and then leaving with no repercussions and I'm left to deal with the consequences of their actions.

I don't expect you to agree, you're inherently biased.
Not biased at all. I don't think offficials owe a single fan, a single explanation. They don't assign me...they don't evaluate me...SO why should I have to explain to you why I had a bad night? I mean, would you want to hear from me when I have a good night?

Not biased at all. I don't think offficials owe a single fan, a single explanation. They don't assign me...they don't evaluate me...SO why should I have to explain to you why I had a bad night? I mean, would you want to hear from me when I have a good night?

I never suggested a singular official owed a fan anything. You're trying to make this argument about something I didn't even say. I'm simply saying put out grades or something to that effect.

I never suggested a singular official owed a fan anything. You're trying to make this argument about something I didn't even say. I'm simply saying put out grades or something to that effect.
Why? And yes you did insinuate just that:

What would like---a weekly/monthly report from the Head of Officials? Again----Why? Its really none of your business, to be blunt. Its not you who's evaluating an official(s). Or grading. So what right do you have to this information?

Also, you start making an officials evaluation public, it just opens up a can of worms that doesn't need opened. Coaches/AD's, etc, etc have privy to this info. As well they should . But fans? No.

If you wanna an explanation...write your local congressman.

Why? And yes you did insinuate just that:

What would like---a weekly/monthly report from the Head of Officials? Again----Why? Its not you who's evaluating an official(s). Its really none of your business, to be blunt. Or grading. So what right do you have to this information?

Also, you start making an officials evaluation public, it just opens up a can of worms that doesn't need opened. Coaches/AD's, etc, etc have privy to this info. As well they should . But fans? No.

If you wanna an explanation...write your local congressman.

I can be blunt, too. You wouldn't have a job if fans didn't matter like you keep saying. The fans are the reason there is a game. Everyone playing or associated has a job/scholarship because of fans. That argument is a non-starter. No fans = no games.

You're pretty good at building a strawman and lighting it on fire. Like this one, "Its not you who's evaluating an official(s)". I suggested the evals (used the word grades before) be posted. You're statement is entirely irrelevant to anything I've said.

Again, you're going to take up for officials. I get it. You can say you aren't biased, but its painfully obvious every time a topic like this comes around. You get chippy and emotional in your posting on these topics.

All I asked for was transparency and accountability. You're reaction to a fan asking for that is pretty telling. Yes, I understand you have internal controls that govern your job. You still work for the fans at the end of the day. I don't really care if referees get their pride hurt for being bad at their jobs. A little pressure might make them better.

I can be blunt, too. You wouldn't have a job if fans didn't matter like you keep saying. The fans are the reason there is a game. Everyone playing or associated has a job/scholarship because of fans. That argument is a non-starter. No fans = no games.

You're pretty good at building a strawman and lighting it on fire. Like this one, "Its not you who's evaluating an official(s)". I suggested the evals (used the word grades before) be posted. You're statement is entirely irrelevant to anything I've said.

Again, you're going to take up for officials. I get it. You can say you aren't biased, but its painfully obvious every time a topic like this comes around. You get chippy and emotional in your posting on these topics.

All I asked for was transparency and accountability. You're reaction to a fan asking for that is pretty telling. Yes, I understand you have internal controls that govern your job. You still work for the fans at the end of the day. I don't really care if referees get their pride hurt for being bad at their jobs. A little pressure might make them better.
Laughing I love this argument.. Tickles me pink. Just b/c you pay to go watch a game, doesn't mean you are entitled to information, that doesn't concern you.

Chippy and emotional? Naaah. Like I said, I just give answers. SOmetimes folk like you cant handle those answers.

My reaction to a fan asking to have information that isn't any of there business, is telling? Telling of...................???

Mt feeling don't get hurt when I stink the place up. It happens. I just watch tape, see what went wrong, and try and fix it. It's people like you who are invested so emotionally that "get their feelings hurt". You let some bad calls lead you to this.

I WANT ACCOUNTABILITY.....

For what? What's it going to solve(for you)? And why is it any of your business? Why----becasue you pay to go watch? So. That doesn't entitle you to nothing but a ticket, and a seat in the arena.

I had a D3 game tonight. After the game, our evaluator came in. Went over the game with us. Pointed out some mistakes. Graded us for that game. So.......what you are telling me is, you should be entitled to that conversation, and its contents? All b/c you paid to get in the door?

GTFO...

. You still work for the fans at the end of the day. .
Such entitlement. You think because you buy a ticket that you are entitled to something more than just the game. You are not. Here's a news flash, bub---Fans will always come. At Indiana...At UK....At Duke...At UNC...Always have. Always will.

I don't work for you. I work for the said conference that hired me.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Just because you dont hear of those repercussions, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Again, entitlement. Sorry, bub. But that's information you are NOT entitled to. I don't give a shit how many tickets you buy. Those who need to know-----KNOW. You are not one of those people.

Laughing I love this argument.. Tickles me pink. Just b/c you pay to go watch a game, doesn't mean you are entitled to information, that doesn't concern you.

Chippy and emotional? Naaah. Like I said, I just give answers. SOmetimes folk like you cant handle those answers.

My reaction to a fan asking to have information that isn't any of there business, is telling? Telling of...................???

Mt feeling don't get hurt when I stink the place up. It happens. I just watch tape, see what went wrong, and try and fix it. It's people like you who are invested so emotionally that "get their feelings hurt". You let some bad calls lead you to this.

I WANT ACCOUNTABILITY.....

For what? What's it going to solve(for you)? And why is it any of your business? Why----becasue you pay to go watch? So. That doesn't entitle you to nothing but a ticket, and a seat in the arena.

I had a D3 game tonight. After the game, our evaluator came in. Went over the game with us. Pointed out some mistakes. Graded us for that game. So.......what you are telling me is, you should be entitled to that conversation, and its contents? All b/c you paid to get in the door?

GTFO...

Such entitlement. You think because you buy a ticket that you are entitled to something more than just the game. You are not. Here's a news flash, bub---Fans will always come. At Indiana...At UK....At Duke...At UNC...Always have. Always will.

I don't work for you. I work for the said conference that hired me.

giphy.gif

Just because you dont hear of those repercussions, doesn't mean there wasn't any. Again, entitlement. Sorry, bub. But that's information you are NOT entitled to. I don't give a shit how many tickets you buy. Those who need to know-----KNOW. You are not one of those people.

Yep, this is the posting of a guy who is clearly unbiased and not emotional. Col. Jessop memes and gifs are super ironic for you to use, but I'm sure that's lost on you.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Yep, this is the posting of a guy who is clearly unbiased and not emotional. Col. Jessop memes and gifs are super ironic for you to use, but I'm sure that's lost on you.

I see youve met Borden. Always funny to see peoples reactions the first time they get "Borden'd" lol. Hes something else, but he swears up and down he actually believes what he types.

ADVERTISEMENT