ADVERTISEMENT

Are John Calipari and Matt Painter on the hot seat next year?

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
I know Purdue just won the Big 10 and Big 10 tourney but they've lost to a 13 Seed, 15 Seed and a 16 Seed in the last 5 tournaments.

At some point do you need to have some level of tournament success when you're being paid as much as Matt Painter?

Cal has not made the Sweet 16 in 4 years and isn't even having good regular season success not winning a SEC regular season title since 2019 and a SEC Tournament title since 2020. His in-game adjustments seem to be lacking in a tournament where you need great coaching to pull out the close games.

I think 2 more bad years might be hard for these coaches to overcome.

I think so. If I was an AD I'd be assessing my coach's ability for adaptation. This isn't the same game that was played even just 3 years ago. Why did a certain style work for Cal all of those years but doesn't now? If you're not happy with your coaches X's and O's then you better make a change because signing top 5 classes isn't enough any more.

Cal’s buyout guarantees he won’t be on the hot seat for at least a few more years. I think after next season it’ll still be around 30 million. It’s just not reasonable.

Cal’s buyout guarantees he won’t be on the hot seat for at least a few more years. I think after next season it’ll still be around 30 million. It’s just not reasonable.

I don't think Craft and he are on the best terms anymore but he ain't even gonna give that kinda money to can Cal. He's here until he chooses otherwise unfortunately.

Reactions: Montana81
Yup. Hard pill to swallow but more than enough evidence that we need to move on from Barney as well. What a horrible contract.

I’m just hoping Cal plans on one more run next year with our big class and then it’s over. The game has passed him by. And he was never a great coach before that happened.

Cal has not made the Sweet 16 in 4 years and isn't even having good regular season success not winning a SEC regular season title since 2019 and a SEC Tournament title since 2020.
UK has finished the regular season in the top 10 of the AP in 2019, 2020, and 2022. The regular season (aside from the COVID year) isn't the main problem.

If Cal doesn't make the Elite 8 next year, his seat will be on fire but UK still wont pay his stupid ass buyout our AD negotiated.

Maybe we should have seen it coming. His best years at Umass and Memphis…when he was piling up 30 win seasons, came against mostly really bad competition. His first 5 seasons at memphis were actually really underwhelming. His record before UL, Cincy and Marquette left CUSA wasn’t very good. Much like Mark Few though, i think he still had a really good record on the occasions he DID play big name ooc opponents.

Even in his early UK years if we’re being honest the SEC wasn’t very good.

I think when you only have to prepare for that level of opponent a handful of times a year it’s easier to get up for it/prepare for it as opposed to every game being against a team that at least physically, can match you.
Yup. Hard pill to swallow but more than enough evidence that we need to move on from Barney as well. What a horrible contract.

I’m just hoping Cal plans on one more run next year with our big class and then it’s over. The game has passed him by. And he was never a great coach before that happened.

I know Purdue just won the Big 10 and Big 10 tourney but they've lost to a 13 Seed, 15 Seed and a 16 Seed in the last 5 tournaments.

At some point do you need to have some level of tournament success when you're being paid as much as Matt Painter?

Cal has not made the Sweet 16 in 4 years and isn't even having good regular season success not winning a SEC regular season title since 2019 and a SEC Tournament title since 2020. His in-game adjustments seem to be lacking in a tournament where you need great coaching to pull out the close games.

The answer is no and no.

You usually don't fire someone for winning their conference and being #1 most of the year.

Cal has a lifetime contract and he doesn't look sick. Furthermore, he has a "mega class" coming in, so no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT