ADVERTISEMENT

FSU vs. Michigan Game Thread

You're the one that said, "He will bury your ass on the bench. Unless of course you are a 5* gem. Then hey, its abut getting you drafted." Well, obviously that is false, which was my point. SGA even proved that this year when he won the starting job and much more minutes than Green. Now it's Cal's fault for not getting Matthews to stay? Kids transfer from every single program in the nation all the time, for multiple reasons. Is it always the coach's fault? Matthews certainly wasn't "shown the door" but you're going to think whatever you want anyway.
Dude 80% of your fan base believes the exact thing; If not more. Cal has a history of giving a longer leash to those with a higher pedigree. It's no secret. Look at his decision with the Harrison twins. Hell he even said he made a mistake by not playing Booker/Ulis more. And had he, UK probably wins that game. But again---Higher pedigree. So Cal gives a longer leash. Noting wrong with that. But sometimes it can cost you a kid like a Matthews.

And no I do not think Cal showed Matthews the door, literally. But more of a subtle "push". Not playing him...then recruiting over his position. I mean, c'mon, dude. What would you think as a player?

Its just my opinion. I think Cal favors more high profile kids. Lots of folks among BBN think the same. SGA over Green is a bad example. Green was rated the 22nd best player; SGA the 34th. Not a huge difference between the two. MOF, SGA was just 5 spots from being consider a 5*. And I said 5* gems--As in kids like the Harrisons. Not the 22nd ranked player.

Dude 80% of your fan base believes the exact thing; If not more. Cal has a history of giving a longer leash to those with a higher pedigree. It's no secret. Look at his decision with the Harrison twins. Hell he even said he made a mistake by not playing Booker/Ulis more. And had he, UK probably wins that game. But again---Higher pedigree. So Cal gives a longer leash. Noting wrong with that. But sometimes it can cost you a kid like a Matthews.

And no I do not think Cal showed Matthews the door, literally. But more of a subtle "push". Not playing him...then recruiting over his position. I mean, c'mon, dude. What would you think as a player?

Its just my opinion. I think Cal favors more high profile kids. Lots of folks among BBN think the same. SGA over Green is a bad example. Green was rated the 22nd best player; SGA the 34th. Not a huge difference between the two. MOF, SGA was just 5 spots from being consider a 5*. And I said 5* gems--As in kids like the Harrisons. Not the 22nd ranked player.
You realize Skal Labissiere (definition of "5* gem") played 15 mpg, right? The rest of the frontcourt consisted of Poythress, Lee, and Willis... and he still couldn't get good minutes. Hardly what I would consider a long leash. Again, every player that goes to UK knows they will have to compete for minutes and that Cal is going to recruit the best players every year. He tells them all that straight up. There is no such thing as being "recruiting over". That's just a bitch excuse. You make the choice to play there to begin with knowing other good players will be competing for your spot. Harrison twins also played 25 MPG each, Ulis nearly 24, and Booker nearly 22. That is pretty damn consistent if you ask me, and the Harrisons were sophomores while Booker and Ulis were freshman.

You realize Skal Labissiere (definition of "5* gem") played 15 mpg, right? The rest of the frontcourt consisted of Poythress, Lee, and Willis... and he still couldn't get good minutes. Hardly what I would consider a long leash. Again, every player that goes to UK knows they will have to compete for minutes and that Cal is going to recruit the best players every year. He tells them all that straight up. There is no such thing as being "recruiting over". That's just a bitch excuse. You make the choice to play there to begin with knowing other good players will be competing for your spot.

K is the same way at Duke, he is going to recruit the best players. If you're afraid of competition, it is not the right place for you. In addition, K usually doesn't go as far down on his bench as Cal does.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
You realize Skal Labissiere (definition of "5* gem") played 15 mpg, right? The rest of the frontcourt consisted of Poythress, Lee, and Willis... and he still couldn't get good minutes. Hardly what I would consider a long leash. Again, every player that goes to UK knows they will have to compete for minutes and that Cal is going to recruit the best players every year. He tells them all that straight up. There is no such thing as being "recruiting over". That's just a bitch excuse. You make the choice to play there to begin with knowing other good players will be competing for your spot. Harrison twins also played 25 MPG each, Ulis nearly 24, and Booker nearly 22. That is pretty damn consistent if you ask me, and the Harrisons were sophomores while Booker and Ulis were freshman.
You realize Skal shouldn't have played 15mpg, to, right? That total is misleading as he played roughly 25mpg the first 10 games. Then a stretch of roughly 10 games, he played 20mpg, even though he only scored double figures once, and never recorded more than 5 rebounds. MOF, amazingly, he never had more than 7 rebounds in a game. And a lot of his minutes to were due to lack of interior play. In a sense, Cal had no choice to play him. So there is that.

Same point with the Harrisons; just later in the season. It was obvious the better option was Booker/Ulis. But Cal stuck with the Harrisons for mostly late game scenario's. It probably cost UK a national title. And yes, I know....the shots.

Again, JMO Kevin.

Note: Sure guys get recruited over at UK. Happens everywhere. UK isn't exempt to this.

You realize Skal shouldn't have played 15mpg, to, right? That total is misleading as he played roughly 25mpg the first 10 games. Then a stretch of roughly 10 games, he played 20mpg, even though he only scored double figures once, and never recorded more than 5 rebounds. MOF, amazingly, he never had more than 7 rebounds in a game. And a lot of his minutes to were due to lack of interior play. In a sense, Cal had no choice to play him. So there is that.

Same point with the Harrisons; just later in the season. It was obvious the better option was Booker/Ulis. But Cal stuck with the Harrisons for mostly late game scenario's. It probably cost UK a national title. And yes, I know....the shots.

Again, JMO Kevin.

Note: Sure guys get recruited over at UK. Happens everywhere. UK isn't exempt to this.
Thanks for making my point. Skal had no business playing, yet he was the "5* gem". Not only did Cal not give him an unlimited leash, he didn't hesitate to take his ass out of the games, because he sucked. Couldn't even get minutes with a crap front court. There certainly was no preferential treatment there. I agree about Ulis/Booker somewhat. I would have started those 2 and played them more minutes down the stretch for sure. They gave UK a better chance to win. I think he thought he owed it to the Harrisons though and they did have great experience from the previous year. A lot of coaches are like that. Had it been the other way around people would've bashed him for benching them though. Never fails.

Thanks for making my point. Skal had no business playing, yet he was the "5* gem". Not only did Cal not give him an unlimited leash, he didn't hesitate to take his ass out of the games, because he sucked. Couldn't even get minutes with a crap front court. There certainly was no preferential treatment there. I agree about Ulis/Booker somewhat. I would have started those 2 and played them more minutes down the stretch for sure. They gave UK a better chance to win. I think he thought he owed it to the Harrisons though and they did have great experience from the previous year. A lot of coaches are like that. Had it been the other way around people would've bashed him for benching them though. Never fails.
He's never hesitated to take kids out. That's who he is. And that to me is part of the issue. Its why I think it leads to some kids not reaching their potential, sometimes. Then with some, I think he plays them to much---Like with Skal. Even with a terrible f/c, he still shouldn't have played 15mpg. But I think Cal played him due to his potential with the NBA draft, and the fact he felt he hurt the kid by "using him wrong".

Cal's great at motivating. Getting what he can. But sometimes I just think he hurts some kids with a quick trigger. And to me just seems he at times shows "favor" with more higher, profiled recruits. JMO>

He's never hesitated to take kids out. That's who he is. And that to me is part of the issue. Its why I think it leads to some kids not reaching their potential, sometimes. Then with some, I think he plays them to much---Like with Skal. Even with a terrible f/c, he still shouldn't have played 15mpg. But I think Cal played him due to his potential with the NBA draft, and the fact he felt he hurt the kid by "using him wrong".

Cal's great at motivating. Getting what he can. But sometimes I just think he hurts some kids with a quick trigger. And to me just seems he at times shows "favor" with more higher, profiled recruits. JMO>
I love when he yanks them after a stupid shot or slacking off on defense. They usually come out for a quick ass chewing and go right back in anyway. IMO, Diallo got way too much clock this year but they were so thin at guard that's what they were stuck with, unfortunately.

I fully expected to see this thread discussing FSU'' end of game clock management but instead we somehow end up on Kentucky.

Odd.

Reactions: MGO1668
game was over once Robinson had the ball up 4 with 4 seconds left he’s pretty much automatic. I fully expected them to foul though

Pfft, you make it sound like Cal kicked the kid off the team. He transferred on his own. These kids know what they will face coming to UK, nothing is given and they will have to complete for PT. You aren't willing to do that, oh well.
Bottom line. He put his team in the final four..

ADVERTISEMENT