ADVERTISEMENT

FSU at Duke

Grabbing the arm would have been the call, not over the back. I don’t think you can have both arms holding him like that. It was probably a foul but one that isn’t always called. It wasn’t an agregious miss or anything. I think it is only partly Duke hysteria. You guys getting some pretty big calls late in games over the years is part of it. The fact that some of these have been in big games helps. And of course the fact the people hate Duke plays a part. It doesn’t make the calls nonexistent though.

Gotcha. Guess that makes sense. Although to be fair, you could call Williams for a foul, too. I think it probably only needs to be called if someone gains an unreasonable advantage. Just don't think Hurt really gained much of an advantage for that split second when you factor in that he was also at the baseline when his initial movement for the rebound began - and he jockeyed for position a good 6+ feet while his movement continued to be impeded. I know, I know. It's just a typical basketball play. In my interpretation, it's a play-on.

personal-fouls.png

rebounding.png

Duke doesn't worry about anyone. FSU doesn't want to see Duke as well.
Well FSU shot way below their averages, even from the free-throw line. Duke shot above their averages and still needed a bullshit call from the refs at the end to win the game at home. Virginia is a tougher matchup for FSU than Duke.

Well FSU shot way below their averages, even from the free-throw line. Duke shot above their averages and still needed a bullshit call from the refs at the end to win the game at home. Virginia is a tougher matchup for FSU than Duke.
And the missed call on FSU when the player was touching the ball when out of bounds that would have given Duke the ball.

Any comments on that missed call.

Duke does not want to see FSU again this season. I promise you that.

Hey, I get it. You really want to beat Duke. I just don't think Duke is really scared of FSU. You're a good team. Tough opponent. But, you do lose a lot of close ones to Duke. And K has beaten Hamilton 8 straight times.

Reactions: Quavarius
Yeah, I thought the refs did a good job in both games until the final plays in both games.

The problem is, both missed calls cost UNC and TSU a shot to win. That was a foul on Duke Saturday night. The refs went to the monitor and COULD have made it right by giving UNC the ball, but no, they doubled down on their screw up.

Then, last night, there should have been a foul called on Hurt for shoving a guy to the side to get the rebound, then there was the elbow/cylinder foul call on a guy that was standing there and tried to get put of the way.

Congrats to duke and their fans, they just "won" two really tough games.

I actually had a bigger issue with the OOB call than the foul. Fouls are missed but when the person slapping it away knocks it OOB it seems odd to say it is out on UNC. Especially when you review it. Valentine is stubborn though. Maybe he and Roy should hang out. Regardless, Keeling was absolutely wide open and Brooks threw it to the corner, which is the one place you don't want to go with it. Plus, we missed like a thousand FTs so....

Reactions: kyjeff1
I actually had a bigger issue with the OOB call than the foul. Fouls are missed but when the person slapping it away knocks it OOB it seems odd to say it is out on UNC. Especially when you review it. Valentine is stubborn though. Maybe he and Roy should hang out. Regardless, Keeling was absolutely wide open and Brooks threw it to the corner, which is the one place you don't want to go with it. Plus, we missed like a thousand FTs so....

Frequently when the defender pokes the ball, the offensive player is still partially holding onto the ball - as it falls off his fingertips. Watching the replay right now, and I cannot determine with the naked eye. If there's not enough evidence one way or the other, the call has to stand.

Oh yeah, UNC's guys are more to blame than anything. They simply missed way too many free throws.

With the tough year UNC is having, the players really dropped the ball on one of the things they should be working on outside of regular practice time. Free throw shooting will lose games. It's happened to UK in the NCAAT the last two years… .. same guy too. FT shooting is a huge part of the game.

Frequently when the defender pokes the ball, the offensive player is still partially holding onto the ball - as it falls off his fingertips. Watching the replay right now, and I cannot determine with the naked eye. If there's not enough evidence one way or the other, the call has to stand.
Yeah, but in that situation, they should have reversed.it and gave the ball to UNC. They knew they missed the foul call.

In that case, two wrongs would have made a right.

Yeah, but in that situation, they should have reversed.it and gave the ball to UNC. They knew they missed the foul call.

In that case, two wrongs would have made a right.
moore-platek.jpg

So if it was UK, you would be ok with #3 sticking his leg out into the opposing player like Platek is doing.

moore-platek.jpg

So if it was UK, you would be ok with #3 sticking his leg out into the opposing player like Platek is doing.
Yes, because that's legal.
Also, nice try, freeze frames don’t do that play justice. The duke player forced himself in there and knocked the UNC guy off his line.

Here's the thing, I have no beef with Duke as a program, heck, I don't even hate Laettner, I think he's a cool dude. I am far less fond of UNC after that AFAM scandal, but UNC got boned on that play.

But you get a D- for effort.

And the missed call on FSU when the player was touching the ball when out of bounds that would have given Duke the ball.

Any comments on that missed call.
Has there been any explanation for this? I fast forwarded through the replay and never went back to get the explanation. Seemed pretty obvious the FSU guy was touching the ball while also standing out of bounds.

Has there been any explanation for this? I fast forwarded through the replay and never went back to get the explanation. Seemed pretty obvious the FSU guy was touching the ball while also standing out of bounds.
Bilas and the play by play just said that they ignored it and it was obviously Duke's ball.

Yes, because that's legal.
Also, nice try, freeze frames don’t do that play justice. The duke player forced himself in there and knocked the UNC guy off his line.

Here's the thing, I have no beef with Duke as a program, heck, I don't even hate Laettner, I think he's a cool dude. I am far less fond of UNC after that AFAM scandal, but UNC got boned on that play.

But you get a D- for effort.
So you are against letting them play at the end of the game and earn it.

Hurt didn't foul anyone last night. He had longer arms and jumped higher is all.

Funny how you discount things that go against Duke but highlight where you think Duke got away with something.

coryfly said:

[/quote]
But why would any reasonable official make the original call when the Duke guy crashes into him and obviously knocks the ball away. Logic would say it was out on the guy swiping at the ball.

Hey, I get it. You really want to beat Duke. I just don't think Duke is really scared of FSU. You're a good team. Tough opponent. But, you do lose a lot of close ones to Duke. And K has beaten Hamilton 8 straight times.
Duke is a great program and certainly (obviously) a better program than FSU. Duke is always very talented. I think this particular FSU team is very much on par with this particular Duke team.

If they play again it will be another great game. I don’t doubt that.

But why would any reasonable official make the original call when the Duke guy crashes into him and obviously knocks the ball away. Logic would say it was out on the guy swiping at the ball.

They looked at the replay. It wasn't conclusive. The original call has to stand. And it wasn't like Moore knocked the ball out. Platek never had control of it in the first place.

EQdrhJzWsAAl7oI

And crashes into him? If anything, it looks like Platek extends his leg into Moore.

Last edited:
Duke is a great program and certainly (obviously) a better program than FSU. Duke is always very talented. I think this particular FSU team is very much on par with this particular Duke team.

If they play again it will be another great game. I don’t doubt that.

I agree. They're essentially equals this year.

Who is Duke scared of?

They don't actually, announcers said it during the broadcast. Refs do not get to see the same angles that we do, ESPN does not supply the replays they look at.

Wonder why Jay wasn’t going ape shit about that like he was with “I don’t think it’s right that an opposing coach can pick the worse FT shooter from the other team to shoot FT in the event of an injury!!!”

ADVERTISEMENT