ADVERTISEMENT

FSU at Duke

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Top 10 matchup in Cameron tomorrow. I’d be confident if in Tally, but never easy to win in CIS.

Our bigs have been awful lately. I’m expecting Vernon Carey to have a big time double-double. Shoot, maybe 20-20.

BUT...I’m not sure Duke has an ability to stop Vassell, Walker, and Williams if all three are hitting shots from the perimeter. FSU was 13-26 from 3 yesterday against Miami. Vassell tied an ACC record a couple weeks ago in Blacksburg by going 7-7.

Both teams coming off super short rest, so it will be interesting to see how tired the legs are.

Thoughts?

Emotional let down for Duke, and I can see FSU’s depth overwhelming Duke. It’s always hit and miss whether they’ll actually get Carey the ball or not, too.

For Duke to win I think they’ll need a big game from a peripheral player like Baker, Moore or O’Connell.

Looks like a great game. Help me out, did Duke have a key player recently return off injury?

I believe Wendell Moore. It’s been FSU’s luck this year. Playing a ton of teams (yesterday included) where the opponent gets their injured guy back a couple games before us.

I believe Wendell Moore. It’s been FSU’s luck this year. Playing a ton of teams (yesterday included) where the opponent gets their injured guy back a couple games before us.

Based on how you talk about Lykes, it seems like Miami getting Lykes back was a positive for FSU lol. I'm not gonna count McGusty's 8 minutes.

I think FSU wins tomorrow night. Duke on shorter rest, coming off an OT game against their biggest rival. FSU's depth will be the difference in my opinion. I also think they have the best guard on the floor with Vassell. That dude is severely underrated in the league. Give me FSU by 3.

Last edited:
Based on how you talk about Lykes, it seems like Miami getting Lykes back was a positive for FSU lol. I'm not gonna count McGusty's 8 minutes.

I think FSU wins tomorrow night. Duke on shorter rest, coming off an OT game against their biggest rival. FSU's depth will be the difference in my opinion. I also think they have the best guard on the floor with Vassell. That dude is severely underrated in the league. Give me FSU by 3.

Honestly you’re probably right about Lykes. He didn’t start and Wong and Beverly were killing it. Lykes came in and the first thing he did was turn it over. Twice.

As for Vassell, he’s just silky smooth. I have no idea how he was so overlooked in high school. My contacts from when I used to coach high school ball in ATL were saying he was the best Gwinnett County kid since Jeremy Lamb. He took official visits to North Florida, Lipscomb, and FSU I believe, lol.

I had hoped to have him for 3 years. But at this point he’s probably a first rounder and I am guessing he leaves after this year. 3 star outside the top 200 is a 2 and done first rounder. Just a year after Mfiondu was a 2 star turned first rounder under Ham.

Reactions: jhmossy
North Carolina seemed like that they would beat Duke comfortably;
however, the tar heels failed to hit many of their free throws down the stretch to close out the game. Duke forced OT and stole one on the road.

I think FSU beats Duke in an upset.

Keep up, PhD. Next season we’ll peak in January, then February in ‘22, March ‘23. Finally, April ‘24.

Shows K’s brilliance while coaches like Cal only see the short term.

Cal had the team peak last year in August. Get back to me when K can have the team peaked before the season even starts.

Complaining about calls a day before the game, you're going to make Kentucky fans jealous.

Not complaining at all. Just stating the truth. FSU plays aggressive D, which leads to fouls. Vernon Carey draws 7.8 fouls per 40 minutes. Stands to reason he’s gonna be at the line quite a bit regardless of the names on the jersey.

You add in the emotion of CIS (and refs are human after all) and the traditional amount of respect that K gets from the refs...well it’s gonna be a good amount of FTs.

Hamilton will have to just keep his calm and not lose it like Boeheim. If Ham overreacts to an unfavorable whistle, which will inevitably happen, he may pee his pants, which will lead to his team losing focus of the game.

As for Vassell, he’s just silky smooth. I have no idea how he was so overlooked in high school.
The reason is simple. He was only 6'3 when recruited. Then he grew 4 inches.

6'3 Vassell = 3-star
6'7 Vassell with same skill set = 5-star

Reactions: dukedevilz
Vassell is a stud. He scares me a little bit. Our defense has been kind of lax lately. We left way too many wide-open shots against Carolina. Can't let that happen again tonight, especially with Vassell.

Vassell is going to abuse whichever guy we put on him but I don't think Carey can be contained inside unless he gets into foul trouble.

Should be a great game, how in the world are we favored by 8?

I never pick this game. Root my butt off for Duke, but FSU always scares me. Hamilton's teams are always tough, athletic and physical.

And Duke should not be favored by more than 3 or 4.

The reason is simple. He was only 6'3 when recruited. Then he grew 4 inches.

6'3 Vassell = 3-star
6'7 Vassell with same skill set = 5-star

That’s not accurate. He was 6’5.5 or 6’6 the summer before his senior year.

Great start, but the pace and physicality really favors FSU. Duke’s got to build the lead while they can

ADVERTISEMENT