ADVERTISEMENT

Rank last 21 + 1 ncaa champs

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
KU was unanimous overall #1 seed and lots of people picks to win in 2020. As we know us KU fans claim helms titles, so I threw them in on this list . lol fight me

#22. 2011 UCONN. This team only scored 73 a game. 23 of that came from Kemba Walker. This team was so fun to watch. But if there was a 20 (+1) team tournament with all the champs in their primes, 2011 Uconn would get smashed. All 4 #1 seeds exited early. KU made the EE, none others made it past the S16... Things fell really well for uconn. They played 8 seed butler in the title game.

#21. 2010 Duke. I will go down with this ship. I felt like Duke had an easy draw. Both KU and UK had a lot more talent and got unlucky. No one was picking Duke to win it all, even as a 1 seed. They just don't have the talent compared to all the other teams on this list.

#20. 2013 Louisville. I may get heat for this, but Louisville was that classic experienced, balanced, really good college team in a down year for talent in college. Their best players were Peyton Siva and Dieng. Great team but for this list, near the bottom.

#19. 2006 Florida. Controversy lol. Big thing here is Florida smashed who they played that tourney. 07 they were way better versions of themselves. But if we were doing a tourney of champion teams, the 06 version of UF wouldn't make it that far, on experience alone.

#18. 2014 Uconn. Not picking on Uconn but both years the bracket was favorable. This team is higher than 2011, they were a more balanced team with Daniels and boatwright along with Shabazz. They beat UK in the title game not Butler lol.

#17. 2020 Kansas. Here we are lads and gals. This makes the most sense. Udoka was dominant this year. Great PG play from Dotson. Garrett was a monster defender. Isaiah Moss a good shooter. Yea this spot makes sense.

#16. 2000 Michigan State. I just remember Morris Peterson being awesome. And they were balanced. Not much memory here. Seems fair.

#15. 2017 UNC. I debated a lot here. I have my top 5 set in stone, but 14-6 is really difficult here. I simulated this match up with my #13 team on different sites and UNC won every time. But when I play it in my head the next team on this list wins. UNC had a ton of what I call college talent. None really translates to the next level . That's really what separates 13 on. Meeks, Jackson, Berry. Fun fun team.

#14. 2003 Syracuse. This is the team I simulated with 12 UNC. Anthony was a monster in college and mowed down the B12. They were big 12 champs lol. Warrick played some years in the NBA.

#13. 2016 Villanova. Maybe they should be lower. But these suckers played so well together. I expected them to win every game.

#12. 2015 Duke. Once again the simulators and I disagree. I simmed the next team and Duke. Great college team. #11 is no joke. This was a talented team. They beat Wisconsin twice and Wisconsin was amazing.

#11. 2019 Virginia. All the sims liked 15 Duke massively but in my heart of hearts UVA has a little more grit, defense.

My next 4 teams are UNC, UF, Uconn and Maryland. Man these are hard to rank.

#10. 2002 Maryland. The debate was 07 UF and 02 Maryland. Man for those who don't remember the terps, they were stacked. All 5 starters were quality. Very high scoring bunch.

#9. 2007 Florida. Florida was much better on D than on O. They could score but not crazy efficient compared to the rest of these teams.

#8 2004 Uconn. The 1/2 punch of Gordon and Okafor ran a much on their tourney. They may be too high here but the last 4 were super debatable.

#7. 2005 UNC. Amazing dominant team. All 5 starters were good. Marvin Williams was their 6th man. Go watch 05 title game on youtube.

I don't know if these top 6 teams are debatable. I think most of us will agree on who they are, maybe not where they are placed though.

#6. 2018 Villanova. I would pay a ton of money to see 6 vs 5 on this list. Holy cow. Anyways, Villanova ran away with the title. They creamed everyone along their path. Best 3 point shooting team I have ever seen. They played so well together. I think all 5 starters have been with an NBA team 1 full season.

#5. 2021 Baylor. You remember them. Not much to expound on. They were incredible. I expect Butler and Mitchell to have long NBA careers.

#4. 2009. About to get killed by tarheel fans. Listen. There is no debate the #2 team was better. They beat the same team. While 09 UNC was killing everyone in college, the #2 team was in the NBA. Hansbrough was one of the best college stars ever. Lawson/Ellington maybe be top 3 all time in college PG/SG tandems.

#3. 2012 Kentucky. I checked many other rankings online to make sure I was not biased here. ESPN , in 2018, ranked every ncaa champ ever. And they had my next team before this one. We all remember this team dominated everyone. It's bad enough they can score at will. AD made it difficult for anyone to score on them. MKG was an amazing defender too.

#2. 2008 Kansas. The only team to win an all #1 seed final four. They dominated overall #1 seed UNC by 18. They beat Steph Curry and Derrick Rose along the way. 7 guys on this team played in the NBA.

#1. 2001 Duke. Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer and Jay Williams. All I need to say right? This team was amazing. I watched College from 97 on ( when I was 10). But I became obsessed in 2001. Duke played a major role in that.

Good list. Not going to come up with my own.

Two Syracuse-centered thoughts: Syracuse owned that 2011 UConn team and had them beat in the Big East Tournament, which would have kept them out of the NCAAT. But Kemba did his thing. I dislike that UConn championship 2nd most.

The championship that still bugs me the most is Duke’s in 2010. If Onuaku didn’t get hurt Syracuse’s would have beat Butler by 20 and steamrolled Duke. Nothing will ever change my mind.

Reactions: ThePhog08
Im biased as well, but louisville beat uconn 3 tines in 2014 with the same team that won the title in 2013 minus siva and dieng. So i def think we should be above uconn 2014. They should be last imo they were an 8 seed that got hot at the right time.

KU was unanimous overall #1 seed and lots of people picks to win in 2020. As we know us KU fans claim helms titles, so I threw them in on this list . lol fight me

#22. 2011 UCONN. This team only scored 73 a game. 23 of that came from Kemba Walker. This team was so fun to watch. But if there was a 20 (+1) team tournament with all the champs in their primes, 2011 Uconn would get smashed. All 4 #1 seeds exited early. KU made the EE, none others made it past the S16... Things fell really well for uconn. They played 8 seed butler in the title game.

#21. 2010 Duke. I will go down with this ship. I felt like Duke had an easy draw. Both KU and UK had a lot more talent and got unlucky. No one was picking Duke to win it all, even as a 1 seed. They just don't have the talent compared to all the other teams on this list.

#20. 2013 Louisville. I may get heat for this, but Louisville was that classic experienced, balanced, really good college team in a down year for talent in college. Their best players were Peyton Siva and Dieng. Great team but for this list, near the bottom.

#19. 2006 Florida. Controversy lol. Big thing here is Florida smashed who they played that tourney. 07 they were way better versions of themselves. But if we were doing a tourney of champion teams, the 06 version of UF wouldn't make it that far, on experience alone.

#18. 2014 Uconn. Not picking on Uconn but both years the bracket was favorable. This team is higher than 2011, they were a more balanced team with Daniels and boatwright along with Shabazz. They beat UK in the title game not Butler lol.

#17. 2020 Kansas. Here we are lads and gals. This makes the most sense. Udoka was dominant this year. Great PG play from Dotson. Garrett was a monster defender. Isaiah Moss a good shooter. Yea this spot makes sense.

#16. 2000 Michigan State. I just remember Morris Peterson being awesome. And they were balanced. Not much memory here. Seems fair.

#15. 2017 UNC. I debated a lot here. I have my top 5 set in stone, but 14-6 is really difficult here. I simulated this match up with my #13 team on different sites and UNC won every time. But when I play it in my head the next team on this list wins. UNC had a ton of what I call college talent. None really translates to the next level . That's really what separates 13 on. Meeks, Jackson, Berry. Fun fun team.

#14. 2003 Syracuse. This is the team I simulated with 12 UNC. Anthony was a monster in college and mowed down the B12. They were big 12 champs lol. Warrick played some years in the NBA.

#13. 2016 Villanova. Maybe they should be lower. But these suckers played so well together. I expected them to win every game.

#12. 2015 Duke. Once again the simulators and I disagree. I simmed the next team and Duke. Great college team. #11 is no joke. This was a talented team. They beat Wisconsin twice and Wisconsin was amazing.

#11. 2019 Virginia. All the sims liked 15 Duke massively but in my heart of hearts UVA has a little more grit, defense.

#10. 2002 Maryland. The debate was 07 UF and 02 Maryland. Man for those who don't remember the terps, they were stacked. All 5 starters were quality. Very high scoring bunch.

#9. 2007 Florida. Florida was much better on D than on O. They could score but not crazy efficient compared to the rest of these teams.

#8 2004 Uconn. The 1/2 punch of Gordon and Okafor ran a much on their tourney. They may be too high here but the last 4 were super debatable.

#7. 2005 UNC. Amazing dominant team. All 5 starters were good. Marvin Williams was their 6th man. Go watch 05 title game on youtube.

I don't know if these top 6 teams are debatable. I think most of us will agree on who they are, maybe not where they are placed though.

#6. 2018 Villanova. I would pay a ton of money to see 6 vs 5 on this list. Holy cow. Anyways, Villanova ran away with the title. They creamed everyone along their path. Best 3 point shooting team I have ever seen. They played so well together. I think all 5 starters have been with an NBA team 1 full season.

#5. 2021 Baylor. You remember them. Not much to expound on. They were incredible. I expect Butler and Mitchell to have long NBA careers.

#4. 2009. About to get killed by tarheel fans. Listen. There is no debate the #2 team was better. They beat the same team. While 09 UNC was killing everyone in college, the #2 team was in the NBA. Hansbrough was one of the best college stars ever. Lawson/Ellington maybe be top 3 all time in college PG/SG tandems.

#3. 2012 Kentucky. I checked many other rankings online to make sure I was not biased here. ESPN , in 2018, ranked every ncaa champ ever. And they had my next team before this one. We all remember this team dominated everyone. It's bad enough they can score at will. AD made it difficult for anyone to score on them. MKG was an amazing defender too.

#2. 2008 Kansas. The only team to win an all #1 seed final four. They dominated overall #1 seed UNC by 18. They beat Steph Curry and Derrick Rose along the way. 7 guys on this team played in the NBA.

#1. 2001 Duke. Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer and Jay Williams. All I need to say right? This team was amazing. I watched College from 97 on ( when I was 10). But I became obsessed in 2001. Duke played a major role in that.
Jt's too bad you aren't old enough to have seen the '96 UK team. Biased or not, that was a great team.

We lost a couple of games to Calipari's Camby Umass team, and Eric Dampier Miss St. and buzzsawed through everyone else. I think average margin of victory was by 20 plus. Put up 86 in one half at LSU

Last edited:
I'm obviously biased but I could see UVA being a little better than 11. I think we're getting dinged for how we performed in the tournament than across the entire season. 2019 UVA is a top 5 Kenpom team this century but we had some close calls in the tourney that may skew people's perceptions. We only lost 3 games that year - 2 to the #1 overall seed Duke and to a 4-seed FSU in the ACC semis. We probably played our worst basketball of the season during the tourney and still ended up as champs.

Yea i concurr there bc we had a nice squad too, just got bested by that same illinois team with brown/head/williams in the back court.

UNC was loaded just none really panned out in the nba iirc. I guess felton had a decent career if he was the pg its been a long time and we didnt get to play em.

Reactions: ThePhog08
My top 10. Think you can really make a case for any of the top ~5, I'll be biased and go with the team that has the best player of the bunch.

1. 12 Kentucky
2. 01 Duke
3. 08 KU
4. 18 Nova
5. 09 UNC
6. 07 Florida
7. 21 Baylor
8. 05 UNC
9. 15 Duke
10. 13 UL

#7 UNC I dunno, I may move them up. May was a great college player. They beat a great one loss Illinois team in the title game. Don't know who you knock down for them

#9 Florida, winning a 2nd title with basically same team is really a legend stuff I gotta move them up somehow.

#2 KU, no offense not seeing that one. I don't like knocking title teams, or any team, but your top players are Brandon Rush, Mario Chalmers, and Darrel Arther. You may have a bunch of NBA cup of coffee kind of guys but none of them were much more than avg right? You tied TX for the league title that year right? Didn't Memphis choke on the FT line too? I remember the big 3 pt shot though, not trying to hate I promise.

Your #17 probably warrants a knee to your nuts. It's bad enough you're claiming a title you didn't get, but to actually place them ahead of any actual title winners is silly unless you poured yourself your 8th bourbon right before making the list. And I love some KU.

Reactions: UL_1986 and RR30
Your #17 probably warrants a knee to your nuts. It's bad enough you're claiming a title you didn't get, but to actually place them ahead of any actual title winners is silly unless you poured yourself your 8th bourbon right before making the list. And I love some KU.

I had them much higher because that same team essentially was in the final four the year before. That UL squad was very good and well balanced. Didn't have the star power that a lot of these teams did and Pitino is an all timer.

Reactions: UL_1986
Yea sorry KU fans, no one gets to claim a title when there was no tourney. Best team doesnt always win the tourney, hell kansas themselves has proved that a few times over the years.

I love me some dok tho, if me and him could switch generations hed be in the HOF and id be a professional video gamer 🤣.

Reactions: KisteK
Memphis gave that game away. 1-5 from the stripe in the final 1:15 and a clutch 3 from Chalmers to send it to OT. Kansas also barely escaped a Davidson upset in the Elite 8.

Both Memphis and that UNC team were much better than the competition faced by a lot of title-winners. And I don’t think it’s embarrassing to barely escape a team led by Steph Curry.

Davis was great and there were solid players around him, but I don’t think that ‘12 Kentucky would have been as dominant in a lot of other years. I think they had a relatively easy path.

Kenpom has ‘08 KU much higher than ‘12 Kentucky. I’m not a Kenpom slurper, but everybody else seems to be.

Not a UK fan but the Davis title winner is #2
If I had a nickel for every time a Louisville fan said “I’m not a UK fan, but I have to side with UK here.”

😆

It’s okay to admit that you’re secretly a little gay for each other.

If I had a nickel for every time a Louisville fan said “I’m not a UK fan, but I have to side with UK here.”

😆

It’s the same with some IU/Purdue fans, honestly. They “hate each other,” but their shared boners for their state and their rivalry often trump this.

Reactions: ExitFlagger

😆

I just don't give a shit about them too much either way. Do like reading their board when they are bad though.

😆

Just bc your not a Uk fan doesnt mean you cant call it like you see it, just like any other team i dont root for.

Just bc your not a Uk fan doesnt mean you cant call it like you see it, just like any other team i dont root for.

Just saying it seems to be more than that.

The fanbases might bicker constantly between themselves, but you’re often the first to take each others’ side vs a third party.

That’s something you’ll practically never see between KU-Missouri, for example. The hatred is real. Then again, they didn’t burn your city to the ground or vice versa.

Just saying it seems to be more than that.

The fanbases might bicker constantly between themselves, but you’re often the first to take each others’ side vs a third party.

That’s something you’ll practically never see between KU-Missouri, for example. The hatred is real. Then again, they didn’t burn your city to the ground or vice versa.
Missouri is a borderline top 50 program, or something like that. Kansas St is probably a little behind Missouri. Basically, your rivals don't put you in a spot to give them credit, because they don't do anything to warrant it.

For me on a personal level not to talk for any other UofL fan, I'm older just don't harbor any hate anywhere just kinda happy to be alive. The players leave the programs after a year or two max, just don't feel the rivalry. 5-10-15 years ago maybe different. Plus the UofL program has had way too many problems for me to take them all that seriously anymore. Been working from home for about 5 years now, just not around any UK fans like back in the day. I do laugh at some of the insanity. I've also come to realize for some UK fans the love for their program goes deeper than others, it's all some of them got. It's a poor state, if a Kentuckian wants to feel good about their favorite team by all means have at it.

Jt's too bad you aren't old enough to have seen the '96 UK team. Biased or not, that was a great team.

We lost a couple of games to Calipari's Camby Umass team, and Eric Dampier Miss St. and buzzsawed through everyone else. I think average margin of victory was by 20 plus. Put up 86 in one half at LSU
We lost 1 against UMass. Beat them in the semis. Pitino threw the Miss St game lol. Benched Walker, but it worked out.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Missouri is a borderline top 50 program, or something like that. Kansas St is probably a little behind Missouri. Basically, your rivals don't put you in a spot to give them credit, because they don't do anything to warrant it.

For me on a personal level not to talk for any other UofL fan, I'm older just don't harbor any hate anywhere just kinda happy to be alive. The players leave the programs after a year or two max, just don't feel the rivalry. 5-10-15 years ago maybe different. Plus the UofL program has had way too many problems for me to take them all that seriously anymore. Been working from home for about 5 years now, just not around any UK fans like back in the day. I do laugh at some of the insanity. I've also come to realize for some UK fans the love for their program goes deeper than others, it's all some of them got. It's a poor state, if a Kentuckian wants to feel good about their favorite team by all means have at it.
Missouri and K-State never win national titles, but they’ve both had good runs in football and basketball. K-State quietly has a really solid basketball history and Missouri’s had plenty of
top 10ish teams over the years.

But that’s only one side of the coin too. You’ll absolutely never see a Missouri fan give credit to KU. Those slavers celebrate KU losses more than their own wins.

I’m just saying that there’s a different level of hatred there than exists between Louisville and Kentucky. Kentuckians are apt to stick together out of state pride. Kind of a “hey, only we can call them pieces of shit” thing. Like brothers.

KU and Missouri don’t share state pride, obviously, and the disdain goes way beyond sports.

I think fans that have seen their favorite teams win big are better equipped to acknowledge when others have done it, not as much insecurity and/or jealousy. Like I said, when UK is not doing well I read their home board because their posters are entertaining. They do miserable right.

Missouri and K-State never win national titles, but they’ve both had good runs in football and basketball. K-State quietly has a really solid basketball history and Missouri’s had plenty of
top 10ish teams over the years.

But that’s only one side of the coin too. You’ll absolutely never see a Missouri fan give credit to KU. Those slavers celebrate KU losses more than their own wins.

I’m just saying that there’s a different level of hatred there than exists between Louisville and Kentucky. Kentuckians are apt to stick together out of state pride. Kind of a “hey, only we can call them pieces of shit” thing. Like brothers.

KU and Missouri don’t share state pride, obviously, and the disdain goes way beyond sports.
UK and UofL fans here get along well. But don't let that fool you lol. You should follow the home boards. There's no love there. I watch UofL when it doesn't coincide with a UK game. I've watched them since the early 80s. I want them to do well, all except when they play us. I do like Kentucky teams to do well.

Im the opposite, the old saying runs true for me, that my two favorite teams are UL and whoever is playing UK.

But it doesnt blind me to what they accomplish or to think their players are worse than they are in reality. Like i have no problem giving UK credit in 2012 bc they had an amazing team with an amazing star in AD.

But i also have no problem giving them shit for not winning in 2010 and 2015 when they had hands down the most talented team in the field. But hell they still smacked us around both years so after a while whats the point.

Just like i have no problem saying that imo toppin was a pretty solid player last year, despite the team struggles. And i think brooks and mintz are really good pieces as well. Alot of their guys, not unlike alot of ours, i havent seen enough to make an opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT