ADVERTISEMENT

Florida stand your ground law

Haven't watched the video for a while. Trying to remember; did the guy come out of the store and go directly to push the shooter down, or did they exchange words for a minute?

The guy came out of the store, went directly to the shooter and shoved him to the ground. They didn't exchange words that I could see. I actually thought the guy stepped toward to the shooter after shoving him to the ground. It looked like he backed up once he saw the shooter pull out his gun.

After that, there was no need to shoot someone.

The guy came out of the store, went directly to the shooter and shoved him to the ground. They didn't exchange words that I could see. I actually thought the guy stepped toward to the shooter after shoving him to the ground. It looked like he backed up once he saw the shooter pull out his gun.

After that, there was no need to shoot someone.
Agreed. My wife has made me mad before, so I have to believe that women can make any man mad. Laughing If I'm coming out of the store like the shover did, I'd hear what the shooter had to say based on how wives can sometimes be.
Maybe she started nagging him too. It can grate on any sane man. I guess the shover's wife has never shown an incidence of irritating someone and was perfect. That would be the only way to justify shoving someone down that hard without inquiring first.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Agreed. My wife has made me mad before, so I have to believe that women can make any man mad. Laughing If I'm coming out of the store like the shover did, I'd hear what the shooter had to say based on how wives can sometimes be.
Maybe she started nagging him too. It can grate on any sane man. I guess the shover's wife has never shown an incidence of irritating someone and was perfect. That would be the only way to justify shoving someone down that hard without inquiring first.
Watch it again, man. Any boyfriend/husband wouldn’t have time to think at that point. Your adrenaline would be pumping watching another man get in your girls face. Like I have said, the old guy was looking to shoot someone.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Haven't watched the video for a while. Trying to remember; did the guy come out of the store and go directly to push the shooter down, or did they exchange words for a minute?
He pushed him without exchanging words. People handle situations differently. I personally, don't blame him for shoving the guy to the ground. Regardless of her being parked in a handicapped space, the shooter was out of line engaging in an argument with a woman, especially with children present. He got what he wanted (an opportunity to kill someone) hopefully he gets the Dahmer treatment in prison.

Watch it again, man. Any boyfriend/husband wouldn’t have time to think at that point. Your adrenaline would be pumping watching another man get in your girls face. Like I have said, the old guy was looking to shoot someone.

It's difficult to say I would not have reacted they way McGlockton(victim) did by shoving Drejka to the ground. Everyone says Drejka shouldn't be berating a women with small children in the car, which is true. However Britany Jacobs should not have exited her vehicle, which created a potential physical threat to what had only been a verbal argument. I know if some dickhead was yelling at my GF and her son, neither of them is going to exit the vehicle. Jacobs got out b/c she clearly wanted to instigate a physical confrontation once she saw McGlockton approaching. Even if the shooting had not taken place, it was a poor choice on her part, especially with her children present.

There were several poor choices within this entire incident, with the worst decision being made by Drejka when he fired his weapon. I disagree that he was "looking to shoot someone". However his weapon definitely gave him a false sense of entitlement, authority, and security. When I took my concealed carry class, the instructor emphasized that you MUST be "the bigger man" and avoid, walk away from, or find a way to remove yourself from confrontations.

It's difficult to say I would not have reacted they way McGlockton(victim) did by shoving Drejka to the ground. Everyone says Drejka shouldn't be berating a women with small children in the car, which is true. However Britany Jacobs should not have exited her vehicle, which created a potential physical threat to what had only been a verbal argument. I know if some dickhead was yelling at my GF and her son, neither of them is going to exit the vehicle. Jacobs got out b/c she clearly wanted to instigate a physical confrontation once she saw McGlockton approaching. Even if the shooting had not taken place, it was a poor choice on her part, especially with her children present.

There were several poor choices within this entire incident, with the worst decision being made by Drejka when he fired his weapon. I disagree that he was "looking to shoot someone". However his weapon definitely gave him a false sense of entitlement, authority, and security. When I took my concealed carry class, the instructor emphasized that you MUST be "the bigger man" and avoid, walk away from, or find a way to remove yourself from confrontations.
Check this article out. This is not his first run in with people on the road. I’m telling you, dude gets off on trying to have fights like this. There’s a pattern there that can’t be ignored.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/investigations/stand-your-ground-who-is-michael-drejka/

I’m all for second amendment rights and CCW. But this guy has no understanding on how to properly use a weapon and now he’s paying for it.

Should the victims have parked in a handicapped spot? No. But people do it literally all the time. This guy, with his fun history of starting trouble, wants to act like the parking police so he can get his daily fix of drama. Like you said, in the moment, every guy would react the same way that dad did. Every single one of us.

Check this article out. This is not his first run in with people on the road. I’m telling you, dude gets off on trying to have fights like this. There’s a pattern there that can’t be ignored.

https://www.wfla.com/8-on-your-side/investigations/stand-your-ground-who-is-michael-drejka/

I’m all for second amendment rights and CCW. But this guy has no understanding on how to properly use a weapon and now he’s paying for it.

Should the victims have parked in a handicapped spot? No. But people do it literally all the time. This guy, with his fun history of starting trouble, wants to act like the parking police so he can get his daily fix of drama. Like you said, in the moment, every guy would react the same way that dad did. Every single one of us.

His history of being an armed dickhead proves my point that he wasn't "looking to shoot someone" b/c if that was the case it clearly would have happened a long time ago. I'm not denying that he was habitually looking for confrontation, but there's a big gap between that behavior and hoping to kill somebody. He thought his firearm gave him the freedom and protection to confront people which is the exact opposite of what concealed carry teaches. He sounds exactly like what I described, a person with an over inflated sense of authority and security.

His history of being an armed dickhead proves my point that he wasn't "looking to shoot someone" b/c if that was the case it clearly would have happened a long time ago. I'm not denying that he was habitually looking for confrontation, but there's a big gap between that behavior and hoping to kill somebody. He thought his firearm gave him the freedom and protection to confront people which is the exact opposite of what concealed carry teaches. He sounds exactly like what I described, a person with an over inflated sense of authority and security.
I largely agree with you. But I don’t think there’s any doubt he was looking for a reason to shoot someone. This was what he thought was his perfect opportunity to get away with it. Fortunately he was wrong.

The "looking to shoot someone" isn't just based on this situation. He had a history of starting arguments and pulling his gun on other people. He was hungry for that moment.
That guy practiced for that moment. He watched too many fake cop shows.
Just look how he gathered himself, posed like a cop, grasped the gun with both hands like a cop and fired it like he thought he was in charge.

Then listening to his interrogation interview, he tried to explain it like he was a cop, using phrases like "one the immanent threat was clear, I holstered my weapon". Dude thought he was dirty Harry. He was hoping that moment would come.

IDK, did his previous altercations end with him on the ground? I'm thinking the other people he threatened didn’t shove him or threaten him back in any way.

These days, you have to assume the person you're getting into it with, is packing.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Meh, maybe. Everyone reacts different. And really, it depends on the situation. I as working an AAU basketball tourney, and after the game some dude was yacking at my wife. Now, he wasn t screaming...But his voiced was raised. I see this, and immediately get to her. BUT...on my way, I'm telling myself--" Easy, brother. Easy." When I get to her, I say , and calmy, but with conviction--" can I help you?" He just replied ---" Nope". That was that . But look, I get it. Not everyone is a cool as me..SmokinSmile
Seriously, though. Had the situation been different, i.e. him yelling, pointing his finger, or getting confrontational ...Whio knows how I react . Like you said, that's your wife/gf. I guess point is, none of us really know, until we've been there.

IDK, did his previous altercations end with him on the ground? I'm thinking the other people he threatened didn’t shove him or threaten him back in any way.

These days, you have to assume the person you're getting into it with, is packing.
The victim should have got some recognition for volunteering to become the shooter's only victim, which is super-friendly of him. Had he not come out and instantly shoved the shooter, he might not have made the news, but now they're both famous. Nice of the shover to be so reactive that it promoted both of them out of their lives of obscurity.

Society only wins because a knee jerk reaction by 2 jerks now has the streets safer. There are now 2 hostile people off our streets.

Last edited:
The victim should have got some recognition for volunteering to become the shooter's only victim, which is super-friendly of him. Had he not come out and instantly shoved the shooter, he might not have made the news, but now they're both famous. Nice of the shover to be so reactive that it promoted both of them out of their lives of obscurity.

Society only wins because a knee jerk reaction by 2 jerks now has the streets safer. There are now 2 hostile people off our streets.
I fully disagree. There is no reason to believe that the victim was hostile. Your only reason to feel that way is based off of this one situation where the man was reacting to a stranger berating his wife. He was rightfully defending his family. Fvck the piece of shit that killed him.

I fully disagree. There is no reason to believe that the victim was hostile. Your only reason to feel that way is based off of this one situation where the man was reacting to a stranger berating his wife. He was rightfully defending his family. Fvck the piece of shit that killed him.
You can defend your family without using violence. The guy didn't have his wife/gf, in a headlock. Wasn't punching her..Grabbing her, etc..Just yelling. I'm not condoning the shooting. But the victim certainly could habe handled the situation differently. Odds are, had he not shoved the guy, he doesn't get shot.
JMO.

You can defend your family without using violence. The guy didn't have his wife/gf, in a headlock. Wasn't punching her..Grabbing her, etc..Just yelling. I'm not condoning the shooting. But the victim certainly could habe handled the situation differently. Odds are, had he not shoved the guy, he doesn't get shot.
JMO.
Anyone can step back from the situation and look at it the way you describe. There’s no way in the heat of the moment you will be able to think like this. Some old man, not woman, is in the face of your girlfriend/wife. While she is sitting in your family’s car with children.

Old guy got exactly what he wanted. The chance to shoot someone with the possibility of getting away with it.

It was murder. It wasn't an accident.

Dude on the ground is a pussy.

Take the girl out of it and lets just say a guy got shoved to the ground in the middle of nowhere. It's still murder.

Anyone can step back from the situation and look at it the way you describe. There’s no way in the heat of the moment you will be able to think like this. Some old man, not woman, is in the face of your girlfriend/wife. While she is sitting in your family’s car with children.

Old guy got exactly what he wanted. The chance to shoot someone with the possibility of getting away with it.
Ya see, that's part of today's problem: Knee jerk reactions. Again, not condoning the shooting. It was wrong. Dude belongs in jail.

But....If he doesn't push the guy, he probably doesn't get shot. Like you said, dude was looking to shoot someone. With today's society, you have to be cautious of your actions. You never know who it is your interacting with. I've been in a situation where a guy [fan], was yacking at my wife, pretty good. And yes I got their quickly. But, I did not put my hands on him. There was no reason to. I asked if there was a problem. I did so in a way as to say, " Hey....ya really wanna do this "?....He just answered, "nope", mumbled some shit, and walked.away.
I dunno Jimbo. Maybe it's because of my military training. Or the fact that I officiate. But I just don't get overly excited, unless I need to. This case in Florida is an example of what can happen if you do. But that's just me. It's my personality. Though make no mistske...I can be "That guy", if need be.

He shoves him. He didn't hit, use a weapon, verbally assault(wonder if he still would have got shot) him.

Even if he double leg tackled the guy, you still don't shoot him.

Ya see, that's part of today's problem: Knee jerk reactions. Again, not condoning the shooting. It was wrong. Dude belongs in jail.

But....If he doesn't push the guy, he probably doesn't get shot. Like you said, dude was looking to shoot someone. With today's society, you have to be cautious of your actions. You never know who it is your interacting with. I've been in a situation where a guy [fan], was yacking at my wife, pretty good. And yes I got their quickly. But, I did not put my hands on him. There was no reason to. I asked if there was a problem. I did so in a way as to say, " Hey....ya really wanna do this "?....He just answered, "nope", mumbled some shit, and walked.away.
I dunno Jimbo. Maybe it's because of my military training. Or the fact that I officiate. But I just don't get overly excited, unless I need to. This case in Florida is an example of what can happen if you do. But that's just me. It's my personality. Though make no mistske...I can be "That guy", if need be.
Again, what you are saying is logical. My argument is you have no time to think logically in a situation like this. If the guy had time to type out the smartest move for the situation, he would probably be alive. But no one has the ability to slow down time or adrenaline, ya know? Guy is in your wife’s face, again, with YOUR KIDS in the car. Your first instinct is not to take the time and efforts to figure out the safest way to approach the situation.

I agree. There was a point that this escalated beyond words. When the guy shoved the shooter there was very little chance it was going to end as a disagreement. The boyfriend decided to make it physical. He gambled. He lost. Don't escalate things by putting your hands on someone. We're all safer with these 2 off the streets . . . whether you like it or not.

I agree. There was a point that this escalated beyond words. When the guy shoved the shooter there was very little chance it was going to end as a disagreement. Don't escalate things by putting your hands on someone. We're all safer with these 2 off the streets . . . whether you like it or not.
Just what I told my wife. Two hotheads, colliding. That never ends good.

Just what I told my wife. Two hotheads, colliding. That never ends good.
giphy.gif

Again, what you are saying is logical. My argument is you have no time to think logically in a situation like this. If the guy had time to type out the smartest move for the situation, he would probably be alive. But no one has the ability to slow down time or adrenaline, ya know? Guy is in your wife’s face, again, with YOUR KIDS in the car. Your first instinct is not to take the time and efforts to figure out the safest way to approach the situation.
Then that's on you. It's different if you come out and it's a physical altercation..Or if he's trying to get in the car...Or if he's already branded a weapon . But none of that was the case. He was simply yelling. Kids and wife were in the car. As a husband , I get to them ASAP. BUT...i don't put my hands on the guy. Again, that's just me. It's how I am.

For those that feel the shove was the first card to play; I don't want to see you make the same mistake. You're welcome in advance.

giphy.gif

Conflict De-Escalation Techniques

Anticipating potential conflict is important, and there are many verbal & non-verbal cues to be mindful of as situations unfold.
Download our workplace violence prevention toolkit.

Anticipating potential conflict is important for preparedness, and there are many verbal and non-verbal cues to be mindful of as situations unfold.

For recognition, here are some signs of conflict escalation:

• A person clenching his or her fists or tightening and untightening their jaw.
  • A sudden change in body language or tone used during a conversation.
  • The person starts pacing or fidgeting.
  • A change in type of eye contact.
  • The “Rooster Stance” – chest protruding out more and arms more away from the body.
  • Disruptive behaviors – Such as yelling, bullying, actively defying or refusing to comply with rules.
So what can you do in order to help de-escalate a conflict situation? Here are some tips, and remember, this isn’t a step by step list, but rather a menu of options that may prove useful...

And remember, without specialized training; never consider the use of physical force as your first response.

• First, calm yourself before interacting with the person.
    • If you’re upset, it’s only going to escalate the situation. Calm down and then begin to look at the situation and how you can intervene safely.
    • Take a deep breath.
    • Use a low, dull tone of voice and don’t get defensive even if the insults are directed at you.
  • Becoming aware of your situation is also critically important. This can include:
    • Other people in the room,
    • Objects; such as chairs, tables, items on a table,
    • and the space around you, like exits or openings, and if you are blocking the person so that they are made to feel trapped.
  • Try to look as non-threatening as possible.
    • Appear calm and self-assured even if you don’t feel it.
    • Maintain limited eye contact and be at the same eye level. Encourage the customer to be seated, but if he/she needs to stand, stand up also.
    • Maintain a neutral facial expression.
    • Place your hands in front of your body in an open and relaxed position.
    • Don’t shrug your shoulders.
    • Don’t point your fingers at the person.
    • Avoid excessive gesturing, pacing, fidgeting, or weight shifting.
    • Maintain a public space distance, which is 12 feet or more.
  • Make a personal connection. Something as simple as asking, “What’s your name?” can diffuse a situation quickly.
    • People respond positively to their own name and can make the dialogue more personal.
  • Listening to the persons concerns. - Acknowledge the other person’s feelings without passing judgment on them.
    • Empathy needs to be shown during conflict situations. Even if you do not agree with the person’s position, expressing an understanding why that person feels a particular way will help resolve the conflict.
    • Clarifying, paraphrasing and open-ended questions all help to ensure that the person is aware you have understood their frustrations completely.
    • Ask to take notes.
    • Ask for their ideas or solutions.
    • Help them talk out angry feelings rather than act on them.
  • Shift the conversation to the future, create hope, and you make yourself less threatening.
    • Using “what” and “we” helps include the person in those future plans.
  • Get them to say yes.
    • It is very hard for someone to stay angry towards you if they are agreeing with you.
No person, group, or set of conditions can guarantee that a conflict will proceed constructively.

If de-escalation is not working, stop!

If the situation feels unsafe, leave and call for help.

Remember to be patient, calm and aware of the situational surroundings should a conflict arise in your workplace.

Most importantly, have a plan to protect yourself if the worst case scenario unfolds; how do you escape, defend your life, or protect other colleagues.

Hindsight is a bitch. I think we all know that the man got shot because he shoved the guy. Some of us don't blame the guy for shoving him. Maybe he should have cold cocked him and knocked his ass out.

Reactions: I am stupid
Hindsight is a bitch. I think we all know that the man got shot because he shoved the guy. Some of us don't blame the guy for shoving him. Maybe he should have cold cocked him and knocked his ass out.
I don't blame the guy. I 100% see why he did. Just a bad situation. To me, the guy who pushed the dude, was probably just as much as a hothead, as the dude who did the shooting; Just a tad bit more mentally stable though.

Anyone else see this video? Apparently this guy hasn’t been and won’t be arrested for shooting and killing the victim.

I’m all for the second amendment and CC, but this is straight murder. No way around it.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand...r-in-deadly-fight-over-parking-space-sheriff/

If you read the background story on the shooter .. he basically stalked that convenience store LOOKING for people who parked illegally in the handicapped space to give them grief. In this instance he escalated it .. and in my opinion at the very least should have been found guilty of some degree of homicide .. if not pre-meditated. That is not what stand-your-ground was established for. He used it as a pre-mediated plan to initiate an instance in which he would kill a guy he was pissed off at.

If you read the background story on the shooter .. he basically stalked that convenience store LOOKING for people who parked illegally in the handicapped space to give them grief. In this instance he escalated it .. and in my opinion at the very least should have been found guilty of some degree of homicide .. if not pre-meditated. That is not what stand-your-ground was established for. He used it as a pre-mediated plan to initiate an instance in which he would kill a guy he was pissed off at.
Most of us echo your sentiments here. The guy is a straight POS.

Yeah, but we can also say "well, if the victim didn’t go to the store that day, he doesn't get shot".
Shoving a guy should never get you killed.

Also, some are saying the shooter was an old man, he was no spring chicken, but he certainly wasn't some gimpy old man either.

All he had to do was show that he had the gun and it's over. But common sense and reading information on the shooters history tells me he was waiting for this to happen.

Shoving the guy was borderline over the top, but to retaliate by shooting the guy, that's well beyond over the top.

I'd like to know what he was saying to the gf in the car, I'd be willing to bet the bf heard some things on his way to the scene that made him shove the shooter like that.

Then that's on you. It's different if you come out and it's a physical altercation..Or if he's trying to get in the car...Or if he's already branded a weapon . But none of that was the case. He was simply yelling. Kids and wife were in the car. As a husband , I get to them ASAP. BUT...i don't put my hands on the guy. Again, that's just me. It's how I am.
I agree with all of that, but the punishment (death), doesn't fit the crime (a push). That's what we're arguing here. The shooter was not in a life or death situation.

ADVERTISEMENT