ADVERTISEMENT

Florida stand your ground law

I don’t think it’s a clear case. Just because you can notice the guy backing up on tape doesn’t mean the shooter saw it the same way. He must have still felt threatened and there’s no way to prove otherwise. If the guy would have turned his back it would be a different story.
The lady that got out of the car (again, why?) was also approaching the man as he was on the ground, until she noticed the gun.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It's sad that we even partially justify someone dying because someone else felt "threatened" after HE instigated the altercation.

If the old man would have minded his own business in the first place, then none of this even happens. Now a father of 3 is dead. Because of a parking spot.
Wrong. That guy didn't instigate a physical altercation. Verbal means nothing. That isn't what gets someone hurt/killed. Good for him, calling someone out that is parked where they shoudn't be. She's probably the same lazy ass person that just leaves a grocery cart when she's done with it instead of walking it 20 feet to put it in the cart corral. As the lady said, she parked there because there was nowhere else to park. You can see from the video that's a load of shit. But, all in all, what the verbal argument was over makes no difference. Physical violence, however, does.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It's sad that we even partially justify someone dying because someone else felt "threatened" after HE instigated the altercation.

If the old man would have minded his own business in the first place, then none of this even happens. Now a father of 3 is dead. Because of a parking spot.
I can’t agree with you if you think the dead guy played zero role in what happened. I don’t think he should have been killed, but he assaulted the wrong dude in the wrong state.

The stand your ground laws should have a stipulation that you can only meet violence or the threat of imminent violence 'in kind', more or less. If you're armed and the attacker is not, you should be allowed to draw your weapon and aim, but no more, until there is an additional act of aggression. I'd say showing/aiming a deadly weapon is just about equal to getting pushed to the ground or punched in the face or hit with a bat. If showing/aiming the weapon doesn't stop the assault, or you see the attacker pull a weapon, then fire away. Pretty freaking simple, in my mind.

You shouldn't be allowed to murder people because you're a scared little bitch. If officers aren't allowed to shoot unarmed assailants who are backing away (well, they're not supposed to be allowed to), then punk ass citizens shouldn't be allowed to either.

If a concealed carry permit holding friend or family member of the man who was shot decided to verbally confront the shooter, to the point that the shooter reached for his weapon again, they'd be allowed to shoot him in the face. I'd be hard pressed to fault them for doing this if this scumbag walks away without charges and a jail sentence. Not saying it's right, but I wouldn't feel any remorse. Two wrongs do make a right, I guess.

The stand your ground laws should have a stipulation that you can only meet violence or the threat of imminent violence 'in kind', more or less. If you're armed and the attacker is not, you should be allowed to draw your weapon and aim, but no more, until there is an additional act of aggression. I'd say showing/aiming a deadly weapon is just about equal to getting pushed to the ground or punched in the face or hit with a bat. If showing/aiming the weapon doesn't stop the assault, or you see the attacker pull a weapon, then fire away. Pretty freaking simple, in my mind.

You shouldn't be allowed to murder people because you're a scared little bitch. If officers aren't allowed to shoot unarmed assailants who are backing away (well, they're not supposed to be allowed to), then punk ass citizens shouldn't be allowed to either.

If a concealed carry permit holding friend or family member of the man who was shot decided to verbally confront the shooter, to the point that the shooter reached for his weapon again, they'd be allowed to shoot him in the face. I'd be hard pressed to fault them for doing this if this scumbag walks away without charges and a jail sentence. Not saying it's right, but I wouldn't feel any remorse. Two wrongs do make a right, I guess.
If somebody does that to a cop you better believe they are getting shot 99.99999% of the time.

How many of them were blindsided and shoved to the ground, full force?

A few? Idk.

If you get blindsided and shoved to the ground, it's going to take a second to figure out what just happened. A decently trained officer would pull his weapon, for sure, but he wouldn't shoot a guy backing up with his hands visible/not reaching for anything.

A few? Idk.

If you get blindsided and shoved to the ground, it's going to take a second to figure out what just happened. A decently trained officer would pull his weapon, for sure, but he wouldn't shoot a guy backing up with his hands visible/not reaching for anything.
Moral of the story is, your chances of dying decrease drastically when you resist the urge to physically assault someone. Whether you believe it is justified or not, the law does.

"defendants can "stand their ground" and use force without retreating, in order to protect and defend themselves or others against threats or perceived threats. An example is where there is no duty to retreat from any place where they have a lawful right to be, and that they may use any level of force if they reasonably believe the threat rises to the level of being an imminent and immediate threat of serious bodily harm and/or death. One case describes "the 'stand your ground' law... a person has a right to expect absolute safety in a place they have a right to be, and may use deadly force to repel an unlawful intruder."

That threat of serious bodily harm occurred when his head nearly bounced off the pavement.

Wrong. That guy didn't instigate a physical altercation. Verbal means nothing. That isn't what gets someone hurt/killed. Good for him, calling someone out that is parked where they shoudn't be. She's probably the same lazy ass person that just leaves a grocery cart when she's done with it instead of walking it 20 feet to put it in the cart corral. As the lady said, she parked there because there was nowhere else to park. You can see from the video that's a load of shit. But, all in all, what the verbal argument was over makes no difference. Physical violence, however, does.
No successful person in the history of man fails to return the cart to the bin.

The shooter didn't pull his weapon and fire in one motion. He pulled his weapon, waited a sec to see who pushed him, saw him backing away, and shot. Time slows down when your adrenaline is pumping, it doesn't speed up. He was more than aware that the guy who pushed him was not still coming at him. He wanted to shoot that guy and did.

I was in a fight in middle school. As soon a the kid swung at me to start the fight, the adrenaline was going; there's zero delay. The fight felt like it took 30 seconds and I could see every punch practically in slow motion. The fight actually lasted less than 10 seconds before we were pulled apart. If the kid I was fighting randomly decided to stop fighting and stepped back, any person would recognize it immediately.

Moral of the story is, your chances of dying decrease drastically when you resist the urge to physically assault someone. Whether you believe it is justified or not, the law does.

Then the law is wrong. It wouldn't be the first law that is ill-defined. You should be allowed to push people berating your significant other without fear that they're going to kill you as you walk away.

The shooter didn't pull his weapon and fire in one motion. He pulled his weapon, waited a sec to see who pushed him, saw him backing away, and shot. Time slows down when your adrenaline is pumping, it doesn't speed up. He was more than aware that the guy who pushed him was not still coming at him. He wanted to shoot that guy and did.

I was in a fight in middle school. As soon a the kid swung at me to start the fight, the adrenaline was going; there's zero delay. The fight felt like it took 30 seconds and I could see every punch practically in slow motion. The fight actually lasted less than 10 seconds before we were pulled apart. If the kid I was fighting randomly decided to stop fighting and stepped back, any person would recognize it immediately.
Doesn't matter. This isn't the same as "self defense". That is what you aren't getting.

Reactions: RipThru
Then the law is wrong. It wouldn't be the first law that is ill-defined. You should be allowed to push people berating your significant other without fear that they're going to kill you as you walk away.
Ahh, assault should be legal. Gotcha.

Doesn't matter. This isn't the same as "self defense". That is what you aren't getting.

'Stand your ground' laws are self-defense laws. In the absence of these laws, you have to run away if you can. In the presence of these laws, you're allowed to fight. In my example, an argument turned into a kid trying to punch me and I fought instead of running away. What am I missing?

Also, complying with police orders
Exactly. I hear about all these cops shooting people left and right, everyone is outraged!!! Well, was the "victim" complying with what the officer was telling them to do? LOL...no, of course they weren't.

Reactions: toonces11
'Stand your ground' laws are self-defense laws. In the absence of these laws, you have to run away if you can. In the presence of these laws, you're allowed to fight. In my example, an argument turned into a kid trying to punch me and I fought instead of running away. What am I missing?
You stood your ground... good on ya! You should've smashed that little punk's head into the merry-go-round.

Your conclusion is illogical. I don't mean that in an inflammatory way; the connection between what I posted and your conclusion just doesn't connect.
You said if someone is verbally bitching at your old lady you should be allowed to physically assault that person, didn't you? A guy that is likely handicapped was bitching at a person that shouldn't have been parked in that space, by the way. It is also obvious that the lady called her boyfriend while he was in the store, causing him to come out in a rage for something she was at fault for. She's the one to blame for his death.

You said if someone is verbally bitching at your old lady you should be allowed to physically assault that person, didn't you? A guy that is likely handicapped was bitching at a person that shouldn't have been parked in that space, by the way. It is also obvious that the lady called her boyfriend while he was in the store, causing him to come out in a rage for something she was at fault for. She's the one to blame for his death.
Could be a Larry David type scenario “pig Parker” but instead of being a comedic Jew, he was a hostile redneck with a handgun.

Haha yep, there’s a reason why Clearwater/Tampa and Broward County are constantly featured on Cops.
I am so used to hearing the redneck/hillbilly jokes being a Kentuckian. Let me tell you, Kentucky isn't 10% as redneck as Florida.

I said you should be allowed to assault them without the fear of being murdered as you walk away. That's different than saying assault should be legal. If you shove somebody to the ground, you should be charged with a crime.

The guy who decided to kill a guy who was not even trying to hurt him anymore, which the shooter was aware of, is squarely at fault.

Reactions: treyforuk
I can see both sides of this, but I wish this law didn't exist. It opens the door for people to just fire at will and kill people, then say they felt threatened when they actually weren't in any danger.

The victim went too far, he was in the wrong, he parked in a handicap spot (yes, it was the victim that parked there, not the gf) and violently shoved a guy who was calling them out. He should have handled that situation differently, but the old man didn't have to shoot him. All he had to do was pull the gun out and aim it. But no, everyone feels like they need to live by the "don't draw it unless you intend to use it" rule. I disagree with that thought.

One other thing I found when I read a different story about this. This wasn't that guys first time hasseling someone about that very parking spot and it's at least the third time he flashed the gun in a threatening manner. He seems to get off on having that gun. He needs to be evaluated, seems to me he thinks he's a local Dirty Harry.

Bottom line, this law needs to go, the way it is now, it's too easy to justify just about any shooting/killing. But it definitely should make everyone think twice before they roll up their sleeves and decide to square up with someone.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want to be a shooter in this scenario. The last thing I want to do is put my fate in the hands of attorney's, judges, a jury and lawmakers. That law can be interpreted many different ways and my tight butt has no business being in prison, it wouldn't survive.

But this is a tough one for me, @Kevin Bryan makes a strong argument for the shooter, but I'm going to say the shooter was in the wrong. He went too far. He definitely saw everyone back off as soon as he pulled the gun (heck, the other guy that walked out of the store bolted as soon as he saw the gun). It was over at that point, but he decided to fire anyway. IMO, that was not a justified shooting, but I can see why someone would have the opposite opinion.

PS: I can only post once a week, so I won't be able to respond to anyone for a while. If I do respond, I'll edit this post and tag the person I'm responding to.

@Kevin Bryan @brooky03 @MileHighSpartan
Here is a quote from the other article I found about this incident:

"Another Circle A customer, Rick Kelly, told NBC affiliate WFLA that he encountered Drejka in a similar situation a couple of months ago. Kelly said he had pulled into that same handicap spot and Drejka began inspecting his decals to see if he had the right to be there. The situation escalated.

"He was basically threatening to shoot me that day," Kelly said.

And in 2012, Tyler Smith, 18, accused a driver later identified as Drejka of hanging a gun outside of his truck window during a road rage incident in Palm Harbor, northwest of Tampa, according to law enforcement documents obtained by NBC News.

Smith, whose account was corroborated by his passenger, told a Pinellas County sheriff’s deputy that Drejka began yelling and honking at him when he stopped at a yellow traffic light, the documents say.
Smith said Drejka then dangled a black handgun from his driver’s side window and placed two magazines on his truck’s dashboard. After Drejka followed the car, the passenger told the deputy, Smith called the sheriff’s office to report him — though he didn’t want to press charges, according to the documents.

During an interview with deputies, Drejka said he’d yelled at Smith and honked his horn after the car cut him off, the documents say. Drejka denied following the vehicle or displaying a Glock that he kept in his truck’s center console.

No charges were filed in the case and the documents say Drejka’s concealed weapon’s license was valid."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna893646

That guy needs to lose his gun carrying privileges.

Last edited:
I said you should be allowed to assault them without the fear of being murdered as you walk away. That's different than saying assault should be legal. If you shove somebody to the ground, you should be charged with a crime.

The guy who decided to kill a guy who was not even trying to hurt him anymore, which the shooter was aware of, is squarely at fault.
"I said you should be allowed to assault them without the fear of being murdered as you walk away." Think about that sentence for a second and how ridiculous it sounds. Like I said, people get shoved to the ground all the time, smack their head on the pavement, and they are the ones that end up dead.

Moral of the story, Florida is a piece of shit state that really doesn't have any justification for existing.

edit: Disney seems okay

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
"I said you should be allowed to assault them without the fear of being murdered as you walk away." Think about that sentence for a second and how ridiculous it sounds. Like I said, people get shoved to the ground all the time, smack their head on the pavement, and they are the ones that end up dead.

.00000000000000000000000000000000001% of people die from being shoved to the ground. It is not a life threatening situation.

Sometimes people die when they walk down stairs. I guess anybody using stairs is attempting suicide.

I can see both sides of this, but I wish this law didn't exist. It opens the door for people to just fire at will and kill people, then say they felt threatened when they actually weren't in any danger.

The victim went too far, he was in the wrong, he parked in a handicap spot (yes, it was the victim that parked there, not the gf) and violently shoved a guy who was calling them out. He should have handled that situation differently, but the old man didn't have to shoot him. All he had to do was pull the gun out and aim it. But no, everyone feels like they need to live by the "don't draw it unless you intend to use it" rule. I disagree with that thought.

One other thing I found when I read a different story about this. This wasn't that guys first time hasseling someone about that very parking spot and it's at least the third time he flashed the gun in a threatening manner. He seems to get off on having that gun. He needs to be evaluated, seems to me he thinks he's a local Dirty Harry.

Bottom line, this law needs to go, the way it is now, it's too easy to justify just about any shooting/killing. But it definitely should make everyone think twice before they roll up their sleeves and decide to square up with someone.

On the flip side, I wouldn't want to be a shooter in this scenario. The last thing I want to do is put my fate in the hands of attorney's, judges, a jury and lawmakers. That law can be interpreted many different ways and my tight butt has no business being in prison, it wouldn't survive.

But this is a tough one for me, @Kevin Bryan makes a strong argument for the shooter, but I'm going to say the shooter was in the wrong. He went too far. He definitely saw everyone back off as soon as he pulled the gun (heck, the other guy that walked out of the store bolted as soon as he saw the gun). It was over at that point, but he decided to fire anyway. IMO, that was not a justified shooting, but I can see why someone would have the opposite opinion.

PS: I can only post once a week, so I won't be able to respond to anyone for a while. If I do respond, I'll edit this post and tag the person I'm responding to.
I hadn't heard that about his past, definitely sounds like a blowhard. I don't agree with his action either, just saying I can see why he is vindicated the way the law reads. I don't know what the deal is with once a week posting. I will look into it and see what's up.

Reactions: kyjeff1
.00000000000000000000000000000000001% of people die from being shoved to the ground. It is not a life threatening situation.

Sometimes people die when they walk down stairs. I guess anybody using stairs is attempting suicide.
False.

ADVERTISEMENT