ADVERTISEMENT

Florida stand your ground law

I was attacked while walking to a Circle K and it was atleast 5 guys. As I walked past them they decided to surround me and beat the hell out of me.

No words were spoken to those guys but I would have shot everyone of those guys. Don’t mess with people especially in a concealed carry state.

I was attacked while walking to a Circle K and it was atleast 5 guys. As I walked past them they decided to surround me and beat the hell out of me.

No words were spoken to those guys but I would have shot everyone of those guys. Don’t mess with people especially in a concealed carry state.
Very different. Did you watch the video? The shooter was in his girlfriends face, he was the one that started the confrontation. The victim just shoved the guy to the ground and started walking away. Then the guy shot him. Two different scenarios, very different. I would never blame someone being jumped like in your case for pulling out a gun for protection. I’m guessing you didn’t watch the video.

Florida needs to modify that law. The shooter clearly overreacted. He was shoved to the ground, but the other guy wasn't persistent on continuing the assault. If McGlockton continued to attack him, then maybe, maybe you could justify that. But that clearly wasn't the case.

Anyone else see this video? Apparently this guy hasn’t been and won’t be arrested for shooting and killing the victim.

I’m all for the second amendment and CC, but this is straight murder. No way around it.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand...r-in-deadly-fight-over-parking-space-sheriff/
Dang man. That’s messed up. To me, that doesn’t seem like he’s in any real danger. That ones is certainly messed up. To me, the stand your ground law should be reserved for situations where there is a real threat to your life. Getting pushed to the ground doesn’t even come close to that, IMO. He should go to jail.

I don't see the need to shoot the guy, I mean he was backing off once he saw the gun. that could have and should have ended it. I don't believe the guy that got pushed down was fearing for his life either so I don't want to hear that shit.

On a side note, people should stop parking in handicap parking spots unless they are handicapped. Obviously you shouldn't be shot for it but that shit does annoy me.

Murder or manslaughter. Either way, what the shooter did was criminal and should not be protected by stand your ground laws.

The victim was backing up when he was shot. IMO, as soon as that happens, you no longer get 'stand your ground' protection. The shooter's life was not in imminent danger.

That was not a case of stand your ground. That was a case of a pussy who didn't like getting pushed down.

He should have been charged and let a grand jury decide whether or not it qualified for standing his ground.
He still might be charged, depends on what the State's Attorney decides.

Reactions: brooky03
Murder or manslaughter. Either way, what the shooter did was criminal and should not be protected by stand your ground laws.

The victim was backing up when he was shot. IMO, as soon as that happens, you no longer get 'stand your ground' protection. The shooter's life was not in imminent danger.
They just need to change the law so that stuff like this doesn’t happen. That guy should be in jail for life.

Reactions: brooky03
He still might be charged, depends on what the State's Attorney decides.
He needs to be. Police should not be the ones deciding whether stand your ground applies. This man was shot from 8 feet away and not in a threatening stance at all. That is at the very least manslaughter, watching the video, I could see 2nd degree murder.

btw, what are the merits of concealed carry over open carry? I tried to think of situations where it's better to (legally) have a gun that nobody knows you have than to have a gun everybody knows you have, but I came up empty. The only benefit I could come up with its that the likelihood of somebody taking your gun would be lower.

A few things. First, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the girl getting yelled at. Parking in a HC spot should land you in jail IMO. It's lazy and disrespectful. Regardless, The dude was certainly too aggressive with her. Then the boyfriend, who should have told her not to park there so is just as much to blame for that shouldn't have just leveled the dude. However, he clearly did not deserve to die. It is absurd that a law says you can just shoot someone because you are scared. Once he pulls the gun and the guy backs off that changes the situation. I mean, he just shot them in front of his kids and everything. Dude should be in jail.

btw, what are the merits of concealed carry over open carry? I tried to think of situations where it's better to (legally) have a gun that nobody knows you have than to have a gun everybody knows you have, but I came up empty. The only benefit I could come up with its that the likelihood of somebody taking your gun would be lower.

Not sure about legal reasons, but...

You will not be targeted first. Someone taking your gun. Getting all kinds of odd/omg he's got a gun looks, getting asked to leave stores because you have a gun, etc..

This is definitely a bad shoot. He backed up after pulling the gun. So he shouldn't have shot.

Unfortunately, once things get physical, unless you are trained, it is very easy for emotions to take over (the emotion of feeling threatened, the emotion of feeling embarrassed, whatever) and then people pull guns and people get shot:( Hell, even people who are TRAINED sometimes struggle with this stuff.

Yea shooter wanted to shoot the victim. He might not get murder charges but I would be pushing for manslaughter or 1st degree assault with a deadly weapon. There will be a loop hole to get this dude once the transcripts and evidence get amassed.

I want to know what the shooters deal was? That didn't seem like a guy that just happened to be there.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
The main reason I have not pursued a carry permit is because once you introduce a firearm into a physical "situation", it then thrusts all parties into a split second "kill or be killed" decision. I think many imagine a scenario in which they have the opportunity to defend themselves against a robber, an armed attacker, or stop an active shooter from committing further harm. But the more likely situation is a physical confrontation that suddenly becomes deadly. As this example illustrates, it's simply too easy to pull out a gun out of anger in an attempt to intimidate or stop an aggressor in a physical confrontation you are losing. Once you pull out that gun in an already heated physical exchange, somebody is likely going to die, instead of someone possibly suffering only an ass beating.

The main reason I have not pursued a carry permit is because once you introduce a firearm into a physical "situation", it then thrusts all parties into a split second "kill or be killed" decision. I think many imagine a scenario in which they have the opportunity to defend themselves against a robber, an armed attacker, or stop an active shooter from committing further harm. But the more likely situation is a physical confrontation that suddenly becomes deadly. As this example illustrates, it's simply too easy to pull out a gun out of anger in an attempt to intimidate or stop an aggressor in a physical confrontation you are losing. Once you pull out that gun in an already heated physical exchange, somebody is likely going to die, instead of someone possibly suffering only an ass beating.

Good post.

I have a CCW and rarely carry, I've never felt the need to pull my gun when I've been carrying either. With all that being said, if you were in the same class I was in and saw the morons who were getting their CCW you'd probably want one too.

The "victim" assaulted the dude first. That is what stand your ground is all about. Don't go assaulting people and you probably won't get shot. I would certainly perceive being aggressively shoved to the ground a serious threat, especially to an old man like that. He could've split his head open right there and been the dead one in this case. Happens all the time. Matter of fact, happened right outside a bar I frequent. Dude came up behind another guy in the parking lot and sucker punched him. The guy was knocked out instantly and smacked his head on a concrete curb, boom....dead. That is as much a "threat" as anything else.

I have a CCW and rarely carry, I've never felt the need to pull my gun when I've been carrying either. With all that being said, if you were in the same class I was in and saw the morons who were getting their CCW you'd probably want one too.
I have mine and have never carried. Good to know I could if I wanted to though.

The "victim" assaulted the dude first. That is what stand your ground is all about. Don't go assaulting people and you probably won't get shot. I would certainly perceive being shoved to the ground like that a serious threat. That old dude could've split his head open right there and been dead one in this case. Happens all the time. Matter of fact, happened right outside a bar I frequent. Dude came up behind another guy and sucker punched him. Dude was knocked out instantly and smacked his head on a concrete curb, boom....dead. That is as much a "threat" as anything else.
This is nonsense and you obviously didn’t watch the video. Guy was yelling at the victims girlfriend, so the victim shoves the guy down and begins to back away. No threat at all. He is then shot dead. Unless you’re telling me parking in a handicapped space is cause to be shot, because that’s pretty much what happened. Old guy should be in jail for a long time. This is coming from a pretty conservative dude.

This is nonsense and you obviously didn’t watch the video. Guy was yelling at the victims girlfriend, so the victim shoves the guy down and begins to back away. No threat at all. He is then shot dead. Unless you’re telling me parking in a handicapped space is cause to be shot, because that’s pretty much what happened. Old guy should be in jail for a long time. This is coming from a pretty conservative dude.
I did watch the video. Verbal altercation has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does it grant someone the right to inflict physical violence. Like I said, don't want to get shot? Don't go assaulting people. He could have just as easily gotten into the car with his girlfriend and left without doing anything. Crisis averted.

I did watch the video. Verbal altercation has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does it grant someone the right to inflict physical violence. Like I said, don't want to get shot? Don't go assaulting people. He could have just as easily gotten into the car with his girlfriend and left without doing anything. Crisis averted.
So you are saying parking in a handicap spot = deserve to be shot dead. Understood. I would hope any man would defend his girlfriend or wife in that situation. The coward got embarrassed and then killed the guy.

I just want to point out he didnt just push the man then walk away. He was walking towards him/standing over him until the gun came out.

Again. He shouldn't have shot, but it wasnt like he just shot him out of the blue.

I just want to point out he didnt just push the man then walk away. He was walking towards him/standing over him until the gun came out.

Again. He shouldn't have shot, but it wasnt like he just shot him out of the blue.
Exactly, the dude was hovering over him and didn't even flinch until the gun was pulled. The lady exits the car as soon as she sees her boyfriend come out of the store, too. Why? Certainly seems like an aggressive situation to me. Proven by the fact the the old man is shoved to the ground immediately after that.

Reactions: mailman85
So you are saying parking in a handicap spot = deserve to be shot dead. Understood. I would hope any man would defend his girlfriend or wife in that situation. The coward got embarrassed and then killed the guy.
No, I am saying exactly what I said. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. The dude that died instigated the physical assault. That is on him. You would hope any man would "defend" his wife or girlfriend by shoving an old man aggressively to the ground? RollLaughAn old man that isn't doing anything but verbally bitching about some asshole parking in a handicapped spot? OK...

No one should get shot for being an asshole and shoving someone down, but you’re ass just might get shot. That’s the lesson here. Dude was a dick, and paid the ultimate price, even though he obviously didn’t deserve to.

No one should get shot for being an asshole and shoving someone down, but you’re ass just might get shot. That’s the lesson here. Dude was a dick, and paid the ultimate price, even though he obviously didn’t deserve to.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Likely didn't deserve to die, but it is justified. Shoved violently to the ground, hovered over, lady gets out to join the confrontation too, etc. It's a split second decision. Dude that got shot had his hands down by his pockets the whole time too. Is he pulling up his shorts or does he have a gun as well? Would you be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt? It's easy for the armchair quarterbacks like us to pass judgement on this after seeing a video multiple times. The reality is from the time the dude was shoved to the ground until the shot was fired took 3 seconds.

Reactions: 829305
No, I am saying exactly what I said. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. The dude that died instigated the physical assault. That is on him. You would hope any man would "defend" his wife or girlfriend by shoving an old man aggressively to the ground? RollLaughAn old man that isn't doing anything but verbally bitching about some asshole parking in a handicapped spot? OK...
Agree to disagree. Nothing about that was justified imo

I don't know what you're talking about, that video looks like the entire first season of Justified.
8tn6.gif

Reactions: tw3301
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Likely didn't deserve to die, but it is justified. Shoved violently to the ground, hovered over, lady gets out to join the confrontation too, etc. It's a split second decision. Dude that got shot had his hands down by his pockets the whole time too. Is he pulling up his shorts or does he have a gun as well? Would you be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt? It's easy for the armchair quarterbacks like us to pass judgement on this after seeing a video multiple times. The reality is from the time the dude was shoved to the ground until the shot was fired took 3 seconds.
That’s the thing. Be a dick, and be prepared. If I’m the guy coming out of the store I probably open w an apology and then lie and say I’m just in a hurry, that my kid is sick or some shit, if they’re with me. And guess what? I don’t get shot. Of course I’d never be an asshole and park handicap, but that’s just me.

I don't know how anyone can watch this video and think "yea, it is completely fine that this man killed another dude because he got pushed, over an argument about a handicapped parking spot"

Seriously? Pushed to the ground or not, just because we have these stupid ass laws that justify one's "right to self defense" doesn't mean you should kill someone.

I don't know how anyone can watch this video and think "yea, it is completely fine that this man killed another dude because he got pushed, over an argument about a handicapped parking spot"

Seriously? Pushed to the ground or not, just because we have these stupid ass laws that justify one's "right to self defense" doesn't mean you should kill someone.
Self defense is a different story than stand your ground. I don't think anyone would argue using deadly force to protect your own life from an attacker. This does not qualify in the least as self defense. It is fringing on stand your ground.

I don’t think it’s a clear case. Just because you can notice the guy backing up on tape doesn’t mean the shooter saw it the same way. He must have still felt threatened and there’s no way to prove otherwise. If the guy would have turned his back it would be a different story.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I don’t think it’s a clear case. Just because you can notice the guy backing up on tape doesn’t mean the shooter saw it the same way. He must have still felt threatened and there’s no way to prove otherwise. If the guy would have turned his back it would be a different story.

It's sad that we even partially justify someone dying because someone else felt "threatened" after HE instigated the altercation.

If the old man would have minded his own business in the first place, then none of this even happens. Now a father of 3 is dead. Because of a parking spot.

Obviously that doesn’t justify murder, but they park in a handicap spot and then commit a battery against the guy that says something.

The pusher deserved an ass kicking, but not death.

It's sad that we even partially justify someone dying because someone else felt "threatened" after HE instigated the altercation.

If the old man would have minded his own business in the first place, then none of this even happens. Now a father of 3 is dead. Because of a parking spot.
It is a tragic situation. And I agree that it is sad that there is even the slightest bit of justification here. But the what if goes many ways. If we learned something from this, it is that no matter how justified we feel in physically confronting someone, you never know who you are confronting. Right or wrong, had he not pushed the guy down, this probably wouldn't be a story. Even though I think the guy should have minded his own business.

Agreed let go. They shouldn't have parked in handicap, guy shouldn't have stood there berating her, guy shouldn't have pushed him, and he shouldn't have shot him.

A whole lot of things should have happened differently, but sometimes all the wrong decisions are made.

Ps- it I think taking the gun out was the right choice, but after he backed you obviously dont shoot.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
ADVERTISEMENT