ADVERTISEMENT

Florida stand your ground law

I did watch the video. Verbal altercation has absolutely nothing to do with it, nor does it grant someone the right to inflict physical violence. Like I said, don't want to get shot? Don't go assaulting people. He could have just as easily gotten into the car with his girlfriend and left without doing anything. Crisis averted.
So when you walk out and see a stranger verbally harassing your wife/gf/daughter you’d just politely ask him to leave?

Also, based on your logic, don’t threaten a woman and you won’t get pushed to the ground. Don’t start nothing and there won’t be nothing, right?

Yeah, once I read about his past (if true) it really makes you think. Like he was looking for an "excuse" to use it. I am not sure you can impose a law that decides who can and can't have a gun though. It's got to be a case by case basis. Even most people that are effed up in the head would have no problem lying their way through a mental exam. That is my question. How do you determine who can and can't own and carry a firearm? Look at most of the crazy school shooters. They had no prior criminal history or documented mental illness. So they would've had no issues getting guns legally. On the other side of the coin, if someone wants a gun no law is going to stop them from having it and/or using it. Just like laws don't mean shit to illegal drug dealers/users. One thing is certain, the black market is salivating over the idea of stricter gun laws.
That’s because people don’t trust clinical psychologists in this country. There is a stigma around therapy. You can’t fake a ‘mental exam’ especially as a child. Professionals can recognize warning signs at an early age and get involved. But 99/100 parents won’t believe their little Johnny needs help

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Trial set to begin. Hope this guy get life.

Straight up murdered in front of his children.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/us/michael-drejka-stand-your-ground.html

Yeah, they need to get rid of that law. Too many people are going to use it as a reason to shoot someone.

Or… . maybe they'll see, from this case, that you better actually be in danger before you shoot.

Hopefully this guy goes away for the full 30 years.

From what I remember, he was a guy that harassed people at that gas station all the time. I get it, I hate people that park in handicap spots or in front of gas pumps with no intention of fueling up, but if I recall correctly, this guy was a real ass hat about it.

No, I am saying exactly what I said. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. The dude that died instigated the physical assault. That is on him. You would hope any man would "defend" his wife or girlfriend by shoving an old man aggressively to the ground? RollLaughAn old man that isn't doing anything but verbally bitching about some asshole parking in a handicapped spot? OK...
Gotta say, I agree with this. Yelling never killed anyone. Somebody puts their hands on you, all bets are off. You wanna be a tough guy and push somebody down over a difference of opinion then you are enlisting for trouble. Every disagreement in our society doesn't justify pushing someone to the ground, punching someone. The pusher overreacted. The shooter overreacted. The shooting was a reaction to getting pushed. Before the push they were just words.

Bottom line is "If you don't want to get shot over an argument by someone you don't know what their mental stability is then keep your hands in your pockets." Everybody leaves irritated, but everybody leaves. Both parties hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

Gotta say, I agree with this. Yelling never killed anyone. Somebody puts their hands on you, all bets are off. You wanna be a tough guy and push somebody down over a difference of opinion then you are enlisting for trouble. Every disagreement in our society doesn't justify pushing someone to the ground, punching someone. The pusher overreacted. The shooter overreacted. The shooting was a reaction to getting pushed. Before the push they were just words.

Bottom line is "If you don't want to get shot over an argument by someone you don't know what their mental stability is then keep your hands in your pockets." Everybody leaves irritated, but everybody leaves. Both parties hopefully learned a valuable lesson.

Agree w/ the underlined. and I'm sure the guy in heaven is saying, "god damn it, I should have never pushed that guy". o_O

The guy in jail got his feeling hurt by being emasculated while trying to be the tough guy. F'ing coward. Lets see what happens when he gets "pushed on" in prison.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
btw, mods, I like how this thread is a catch-all for random stuff. Instead of the board drowning in random topic threads. It's great the ongoing conversation about everything is here. Super Convenient.

I would ask when the season starts to maybe let this stay up. All the other threads won't be bothered by political/off topic nonsense. JMO.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Bet that dude wouldn't even have berated that woman had he not had a gun.

With his history of gun events (if true), old dude was basically lying in wait. Itching to finally "get" to use his piece.

Sure had she not parked there...
Sure had the young man not shoved him...

Sure sure, but someday, somebody was gonna die via this "old" dude.

There wasn't ever an If, only a When.
Demonstrating the importance of "Keep your hands to yourself".

Last edited:
Agree w/ the underlined. and I'm sure the guy in heaven is saying, "god damn it, I should have never pushed that guy". o_O

The guy in jail got his feeling hurt by being emasculated while trying to be the tough guy. F'ing coward. Lets see what happens when he gets "pushed on" in prison.

tenor.gif
Both played stupid games. Both won stupid prizes. They both won by finally getting the cred for who they portrayed themselves to be; "badasses".

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Pushing a guy should never result in a bullet to the chest. The shooter was just waiting fir the opportunity to use that gun. That wasn't it, ye wasn't in any danger.

Also, he isn't some crippled old man. Open the link I pasted earlier today.
Yea, almost like he gets off trying to get people to start stuff so he can shoot at them. Dude is a POS and should be in jail for life

Saying “all bets are off” when someone shoves you and you automatically decide to shoot someone with a gun? That’s absurd. What a coward, better not drop the soap in jail!

My bet would be that if the guy that got shot had the opportunity to do it over, his actions would be different. I could be wrong though. If it's worth putting your hands on someone over, then you should just expect the unexpected.

Just a couple of dummies trying to puff up. Nature's way of taking two off the streets simultaneously. Society doesn't need benefit from either of their type.

Last edited:
I have zero sympathy for people who park in HC spaces. You can serve some time in jail for doing it once as far as I'm concerned. That dude was looking to shot someone though.

I have zero sympathy for people who park in HC spaces. You can serve some time in jail for doing it once as far as I'm concerned. That dude was looking to shot someone though.
Are you saying jail time over a parking spot?

My bet would be that if the guy that got shot had the opportunity to do it over, his actions would be different. I could be wrong though. If it's worth putting your hands on someone over, then you should just expect the unexpected.

Just a couple of dummies trying to puff up. Nature's way of taking two off the streets simultaneously. Society doesn't need benefit from either of their type.
Tell that to that guys kid. I’m sure he/she would understand..

Yea, almost like he gets off trying to get people to start stuff so he can shoot at them. Dude is a POS and should be in jail for life
Yeah, I read up on this story when it first happened. A bunch of people that had encountered that guy at that gas station had a lot to say (edited to add a video I just found where a guy talks about past run ins with the shooter). He's a real asshole and loves to start shit.

I get it, they parked in a handicap spot, they shouldn't do it and I hate it too, but you.just don’t pull that gun unless absolutely necessary.

Now he's going to pay the price, but it won't bring the victim back.

Last edited:

Looking at the situation, there were two very young kids snd a woman in the car. If that guy was saying nasty things to them and berating them, I can't blame the guy for coming out and shoving him. That shouldn't land hm in a grave, it's not like he was coming after the shooter with a weapon.

Looking at the situation, there were two very young kids snd a woman in the car. If that guy was saying nasty things to them and berating them, I can't blame the guy for coming out and shoving him. That shouldn't land hm in a grave, it's not like he was coming after the shooter with a weapon.
I don't disagree. But for every badass, there's going to be somebody that tries to dethrone him.

Reactions: sound slave
I don't disagree. But for every badass, there's going to be somebody that tries to dethrone him.
So you think it's okay to end someones life over a shove?

When the shooter pulled his gun, the victim backed up. It should have ended there.

The shooter is a known racist and had threatened to shoot others in the past. People like that should never own a gun.

There was a lot of non oks here. It is not ok to park in a HC spot. It may be ok to say something to someone who does but not to go off on some lady with her kids in the car. It isn't ok to shove some dude down to the ground like that. It certainly isn't ok to shoot someone over it. All of those things kind of fall into things crappy people do until the last one, which falls into the sort of thing that lands you in jail for a long time. That's on him. His consequence is much less severe than the dead guy for a worse infraction.

Saying “all bets are off” when someone shoves you and you automatically decide to shoot someone with a gun? That’s absurd. What a coward, better not drop the soap in jail!
I don't think he's agreeing with it being ok to shoot someone, because they shove you. More like, all bets are off, because youndont know the mental stability of the person you are shoving.

So when you walk out and see a stranger verbally harassing your wife/gf/daughter you’d just politely ask him to leave?

Also, based on your logic, don’t threaten a woman and you won’t get pushed to the ground. Don’t start nothing and there won’t be nothing, right?

You cannot put your hands on someone over an argument. Even if the assh*le is being rude, to a woman, over a parking space.

He's a real asshole and loves to start shit.

I get it, they parked in a handicap spot, they shouldn't do it and I hate it too, but you.just don’t pull that gun unless absolutely necessary.

Now he's going to pay the price, but it won't bring the victim back.

It doesn't matter what people had to say about this guy; being an asshole doesn't make someone a criminal.(I'm still a free man)

He didn't pull his weapon because she parked illegally. The gun was drawn because he had a legitimate reason/threat to do so. Firing his weapon is where he went wrong and broke the law b/c the threat had been removed from the situation.

It doesn't matter what people had to say about this guy; being an asshole doesn't make someone a criminal.(I'm still a free man)

He didn't pull his weapon because she parked illegally. The gun was drawn because he had a legitimate reason/threat to do so. Firing his weapon is where he went wrong and broke the law b/c the threat had been removed from the situation.
Well, I think you misread my post.
Yes, I know he didn't kill the guy because he parked in a handicap spot. We all understand that.

His excuse for firing the gun was because he felt threatened. He said the other guy stepped toward him, which was a lie.

Also, my other comments about the shooter being an asshole and threatening to shoot others, is very relevant here. It shows his character and proves that you can't just give out guns to everyone. Too many people make really bad decisions and this was a prime example of it.

However, you do bring up a good point. So many people believe that you "don't pull a gun unless you plan to use it", "don't ever just pull it to threaten". Well, I've always questioned that, because there are many situations where just pulling the gun would end a confrontation. This was one of those occasions.

Well, I think you misread my post.
Yes, I know he didn't kill the guy because he parked in a handicap spot. We all understand that.

His excuse for firing the gun was because he felt threatened. He said the other guy stepped toward him, which was a lie.

Also, my other comments about the shooter being an asshole and threatening to shoot others, is very relevant here. It shows his character and proves that you can't just give out guns to everyone. Too many people make really bad decisions and this was a prime example of it.

However, you do bring up a good point. So many people believe that you "don't pull a gun unless you plan to use it", "don't ever just pull it to threaten". Well, I've always questioned that, because there are many situations where just pulling the gun would end a confrontation. This was one of those occasions.
This is a good post. It would be nice if there was a way to determine who can have a gun. Not sure there is a real solution to it. Pulling the weapon might have stopped the escalation. Not sure why the dispute had to become physical in the first place.

This is a good post. It would be nice if there was a way to determine who can have a gun. Not sure there is a real solution to it. Pulling the weapon might have stopped the escalation. Not sure why the dispute had to become physical in the first place.
Some guy who thought he was the handicap police started screaming at the guys girlfriend. Do you know how many people use handicapped spots who aren’t actually handicapped? It’s a lot, man. Old guy should have just minded his own business. Now he’s in jail.

Pushing the guy is definitely what got the man shot. But no doubt that if I came outside to see a stranger berating my wife, I would do the same thing. No way to paint the shooter as anything but a worthless piece of shit.

Some guy who thought he was the handicap police started screaming at the guys girlfriend. Do you know how many people use handicapped spots who aren’t actually handicapped? It’s a lot, man. Old guy should have just minded his own business. Now he’s in jail.

Pushing the guy is definitely what got the man shot. But no doubt that if I came outside to see a stranger berating my wife, I would do the same thing. No way to paint the shooter as anything but a worthless piece of shit.

Haven't watched the video for a while. Trying to remember; did the guy come out of the store and go directly to push the shooter down, or did they exchange words for a minute?

ADVERTISEMENT