ADVERTISEMENT

FBI Wiretaps Revealed today

So you don't think Duke had the most talent and the best coach?

Who else had a better starting 5? Who had the better coach in your opinion?

Duke was the #1 overall seed for a reason.

Those are facts.
Having the best coach or the perceived most talented team does not guarantee championships. This further proves that you don't respect how hard it is to win championships.

Duke was the number one overall seed because the committee gave them the benefit of the doubt that the games they had lost were largely due to not having Zion. Other teams in consideration also lost, helping their decision. Again, this further proves that you refuse to reassess how things should have been viewed and don't respect circumstances.

You are caught up on one player, really. Look at how Duke looked like a fringe top 25 team without him. Look at how they looked like a fringe top 10 team without Jones with the exception of beating Virginia.

It’s actually very substantial, even if technically hearsay.

For example, in a separate meeting, on June 20, 2017 in New York, when Code was introduced to Blazer and undercover agents (who he didn't realize were working for the FBI, but rather thought were investors in Dawkins' company), Code discussed the power and influence of some of the biggest schools in the sport.

And it comes in no small part from the big four-letter company.

"Nike schools pay too," Code says on one of the videos. "In some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of those schools are doing something to help their kids."

Code later adds, "it's a mess because there's so much money involved."

When this portion of the video was played, Blazer testified that he understood Code to mean Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky to be schools that had relationships "like the ones we had Arizona … paying assistant coaches to get access to players."

This is not the bluster of an up-and-comer: Code played at Clemson, spent more than a decade at Nike and rose to such a position where he was in charge of the company's most coveted and profitable grassroots basketball operation. While what Code was caught saying on the video is still technically considered hearsay -- and not evidence under oath -- it is nonetheless coming from a man who knows what the hell he's talking about.

Nike schools pay too,” followed by direct mention of Kentucky, Duke, UNC etc is pretty specific, in a broad sense.

(Cue Cat Incognito: “How would Code know anything!!?!!)

A solid response to your question would be that Code worked for Nike in a similar position as he does with Adidas

So you saw how Duke was playing in and leading up to March and that gave you the indication that they were playing championship level basketball?
I did. They won the ACC and the ACCT.

Going off the numbers, Duke was top 5 in offensive and defensive efficiency ratings. That is taking into account the poor three point shooting, so don't use that excuse.

That team had incredible talent, Zion was the best college player I've ever seen. I know that means I'm saying he is better than AD and Wall, but he was and he had RJ Barrett and "the best on ball perimeter defender" Tre Jones and another top 5 recruit that averaged 13.5ppg.

How much talent does the best coach of all time need?

Reactions: treyforuk
I did. They won the ACC and the ACCT.

Going off the numbers, Duke was top 5 in offensive and defensive efficiency ratings. That is taking into account the poor three point shooting, so don't use that excuse.

That team had incredible talent, Zion was the best college player I've ever seen. I know that means I'm saying he is better than AD and Wall, but he was and he had RJ Barrett and "the best on ball perimeter defender" Tre Jones and another top 5 recruit that averaged 13.5ppg.

How much talent does the best coach of all time need?
They only won the ACCT. They easily could have lost their first or second game of the ACCT. They played like shit going into the tournament. They couldn't take care of the ball, took a step back both defensively and offensively and never became consistent shooting the ball. Poor FT shooting team. All of those things kill you in the tournament. I am glad you think Duke, a team that lost 5 times going into the NCAAT, was the best team ever. Unfortunately you are wrong.

Having the best coach or the perceived most talented team does not guarantee championships. This further proves that you don't respect how hard it is to win championships.

Duke was the number one overall seed because the committee gave them the benefit of the doubt that the games they had lost were largely due to not having Zion. Other teams in consideration also lost, helping their decision. Again, this further proves that you refuse to reassess how things should have been viewed and don't respect circumstances.

You are caught up on one player, really. Look at how Duke looked like a fringe top 25 team without him. Look at how they looked like a fringe top 10 team without Jones with the exception of beating Virginia.
So they looked like a fringe top 25 team without Zion, who's fault is that?

Didn't they beat UVA without Zion?

Still, you had Zion at full strength in the tournament and struggled with Central Florida and Virginia Tech before finally losing to a hobbled Michigan State team that turned around and lost to Texas Tech.

You can make all the excuses you want, but the truth is that team was loaded, had a generational player, a transcendent player and tge "greatest coach that ever lived" and fell way short for the 2nd year in a row.

When these things happent to UK, Cal gets trashed on here, but not K.

They only won the ACCT. They easily could have lost their first or second game of the ACCT. They played like shit going into the tournament. They couldn't take care of the ball, took a step back both defensively and offensively and never became consistent shooting the ball. Poor FT shooting team. All of those things kill you in the tournament. I am glad you think Duke, a team that lost 5 times going into the NCAAT, was the best team ever. Unfortunately you are wrong.
Duke lost 5 times prior to the tournament. You are certainly correct there.

But you conveniently left out the part where they had a key player injured in 4 of those lost games.

Jay Bilas was sure to remind everyone that only one team beat Duke when Duke was at full strength.

I was on here before the tournament defending duke against UNC fans, you saw that I'm sure. I'm not trolling here, I'm calling a spade a spade.

Still, you had Zion at full strength in the tournament and struggled with Central Florida and Virginia Tech before finally losing to a hobbled Michigan State team that turned around and lost to Texas Tech.

You can make all the excuses you want, but the truth is that team was loaded, had a generational player, a transcendent player and tge "greatest coach that ever lived" and fell way short for the 2nd year in a row.

And when shady wiretaps or texts are presented, KU gets trashed, but UK gets a pass.

Stay on topic. What are your thoughts on Code's taped conversations?

And when shady wiretaps or texts are presented, KU gets trashed, but UK gets a pass.

Stay on topic. What are your thoughts on Code's taped conversations?
Seems like you're the one not staying on topic.

KU is getting trashed because members of the coaching staff are being named in the money negotiations. Who on the coaching staffs from UK or Duke have been named in this?

Why is this do.hard for you to understand?

So there's a guy in this trial that made a sweeping statement about Duke, unc and UK having people in positions that make sure players are taken care of. Is that what you are referring to? Is that actual.proof of anything? If so, what?

Also, how does an ADIDAS guy know what is happening at a Nike school.

Use your head.

Good lord. No. They did not beat Virginia without Zion. I am a fvcking ****** for getting back into this with you. You only argue about this because you think that Cal is a victim so you want to flip it around on Krzyzewski without looking at things reasonably. Loaded. Haha.

Good lord. No. They did not beat Virginia without Zion. I am a fvcking ****** for getting back into this with you. You only argue about this because you think that Cal is a victim so you want to flip it around on Krzyzewski without looking at things reasonably. Loaded. Haha.
I was wrong, you had Zion in both games, but you did beat UVA without Tre Jones.

I can see why you would get upset at this, you don't like it when rival fans throw shade at your coach and/or program. Welcome to the club.

The truth is, Duke was fully healthy when they lost. Had the best team and best coach two years in a row and fell short both times.

Can't wait for Duke to get shoved down our throats again in 19/20 only to watch them bow out early again.

If K couldn't get it done with the last two teams, he isn't going to do it with this one.

Wow. If I were to post this exact same thing except put Duke in Kentucky's spot, you would laugh at me. Funny how it is difficult to win with freshmen when it's Kentucky. But if it's Duke losing in the elite eight with freshmen, biggest choke job in years.
Glad you recognize it.

We can settle this pretty easily though. We could put it to a board vote.

I am pretty confident most of this board would say that Duke underachieved.

You probably wouldn't want to do that though, there are too many UK fans that would vote against Duke.

Reactions: kl40504
Seems like you're the one not staying on topic.

KU is getting trashed because members of the coaching staff are being named in the money negotiations. Who on the coaching staffs from UK or Duke have been named in this?

Why is this do.hard for you to understand?

So there's a guy in this trial that made a sweeping statement about Duke, unc and UK having people in positions that make sure players are taken care of. Is that what you are referring to? Is that actual.proof of anything? If so, what?

Also, how does an ADIDAS guy know what is happening at a Nike school.

Use your head.

You're the one struggling to comprehend the point.

There's no actual proof of any of those coaching staffs making payments, including KU.

There's a wiretap of Townsend saying "Zion wants this, Zion wants that." Not proof of anything, but looks bad.

Now they've presented wiretap of a guy who worked for Nike for over a decade stating that Kentucky and other Nike schools pay/cheat. Not proof of anything specific, but looks bad.

Capeesh?

Last edited:
And there’s a difference between Anthony Davis, John Wall, Cousins, Fox and Devonte Graham.

If you’d rather have less talented players with more experience, why doesn’t Cal do it? And why are Kentucky’s freshman-dominant teams always top 3 preseason? Why do your fans print 40-0 t-shirts if you expect your little frosh to struggle?

Think before you post next time.
I love how you mentioned Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embid, and Josh Jackson. Dude, you're a joke. Nobody here is taking you seriously.

UofL in deep trouble.

Wiretap convo of former Nike guy (who didn't know he was being recorded) stating that Kentucky cheats.

So what will your new schtick be? I'm looking forward to seeing which three sentences you'll copy/paste endlessly from now on.

I love how you mentioned Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embid, and Josh Jackson. Dude, you're a joke. Nobody here is taking you seriously.

I believe I've mentioned all three. Embiid didn't play in the tourney, so I'm not sure why he's relevant. But again...the point is that Calipari gets far MORE of these guys. Is it that hard to understand?

Love how you insecure halfwits always think you're in a position to put someone else down.

I was wrong, you had Zion in both games, but you did beat UVA without Tre Jones.

I can see why you would get upset at this, you don't like it when rival fans throw shade at your coach and/or program. Welcome to the club.

The truth is, Duke was fully healthy when they lost. Had the best team and best coach two years in a row and fell short both times.

Can't wait for Duke to get shoved down our throats again in 19/20 only to watch them bow out early again.

If K couldn't get it done with the last two teams, he isn't going to do it with this one.
Saying they underachieved would be basing off of opinion. At one point in the season, I would have had the opinion that not making it to the final four would be an underachievement. Hell, I could still agree with that opinion. I feel like Duke should have beat MSU. But my argument is that Duke was not "loaded" like you keep saying. A loaded team would be able to withstand an injured player or a player(s) having a poor game. Duke was heavily reliant on two guys. And it bit them. Your childish nonsense is all based on your jealousy of the coverage Duke got. I have no control over that and neither does Duke. Find the idiots that crammed Duke and Zion down your throat on Twitter and bitch to them. If you want to have a reasonable discussion using real logic backed by history and common sense. I am here. It is hilarious that you keep saying Duke was the best team two years in a row. One, that's an absolute lie. Two, the best team rarely wins. Again, an example how you don't respect how hard it is to win a championship.

You keep implying that Duke was the overwhelming favorite in 2018. They were a 2 seed and lost 7 games before the tournament. Also, Villanova was the one everybody was picking to win it all. I’m not even sure Duke was favored to win against Kansas?

You're the one struggling to comprehend the point.

There's no actual proof of any of those coaching staffs making payments, including KU.

There's a wiretap of Townsend saying "Zion wants this, Zion wants that." Not proof, but looks bad.

Now they've presented wiretap of a guy who worked for Nike for over a decade stating that Kentucky and other Nike schools pay/cheat. Not proof of anything specific, but looks bad.

Capeesh?
Okay, but two things:

1) I don't know why you keep coming at ME with this stuff. I don't recall stating that Self or KU positively did anything illegal or against NCAA rules. Know why? Because I don't know the facts. I'm not going to play the game you like to play, which is call people cheaters when I don't have proof of it.

2) The trial hasn't ended yet has it? Has the NCAA investigated KU? Will they? I don't know if that's even a possibility.

Truth is, I gain nothing if KU goes down in this thing. I don't really care what happens to KU.

In case you haven't noticed, I simply want programs and coaches to be treated the same. There are two programs that get special treatment from the NCAA and ESPN. Those two programs can do whatever they want and it gets swept under the rug.

Meanwhile, stories break about the ADIDAS thing and, for whatever reason, they put Calipari on the title page of the article. WTF?

That's the shit that bothers me.

Now if it's discovered that UK or anyone on the coaching staff at UK was working with Nike to pay kids, I'll be pissed, but I'm not going to blame others, I'll blame the idiots that brought sanctions to the program.

Reactions: treyforuk
Okay, but two things:

1) I don't know why you keep coming at ME with this stuff. I don't recall stating that Self or KU positively did anything illegal or against NCAA rules. Know why? Because I don't know the facts. I'm not going to play the game you like to play, which is call people cheaters when I don't have proof of it.

2) The trial hasn't ended yet has it? Has the NCAA investigated KU? Will they? I don't know if that's even a possibility.

Truth is, I gain nothing if KU goes down in this thing. I don't really care what happens to KU.

In case you haven't noticed, I simply want programs and coaches to be treated the same. There are two programs that get special treatment from the NCAA and ESPN. Those two programs can do whatever they want and it gets swept under the rug.

Meanwhile, stories break about the ADIDAS thing and, for whatever reason, they put Calipari on the title page of the article. WTF?

That's the shit that bothers me.

Now if it's discovered that UK or anyone on the coaching staff at UK was working with Nike to pay kids, I'll be pissed, but I'm not going to blame others, I'll blame the idiots that brought sanctions to the program.
What Adidas article had Cal on the title page? What was the context? Just curious which one you’re referring to.

It just shows how hard it is to win a championship. Especially with 4 fresmen and mediocre role players. That has been your problem from the beginning of this conversation. You don't respect facts, you don't respect circumstances. You only use the part of an argument that helps your narrative. It is so easy to say that because a team had the best player, they should have won the championship. That is you assigning expectations and if they don't meet your expectations, you get to label them a bust. You refuse to look back and reassess how things should have been viewed.

There is so much attention paid to star players, but it isn't just star players you need... basketball is a TEAM sport, and if you don't have the team, you won't win a title. This is FAR more true in college ball, where it is a one and out format, than the NBA, where individual talents can win some games.

And I see that you are deep into a useful and intellectual discussion with someone, although I don't know who. I think my Rivals experience today has been way better than yours, and I bet I know why;) Do yourself a favor!

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Saying they underachieved would be basing off of opinion. At one point in the season, I would have had the opinion that not making it to the final four would be an underachievement. Hell, I could still agree with that opinion. I feel like Duke should have beat MSU. But my argument is that Duke was not "loaded" like you keep saying. A loaded team would be able to withstand an injured player or a player(s) having a poor game. Duke was heavily reliant on two guys. And it bit them. Your childish nonsense is all based on your jealousy of the coverage Duke got. I have no control over that and neither does Duke. Find the idiots that crammed Duke and Zion down your throat on Twitter and bitch to them. If you want to have a reasonable discussion using real logic backed by history and common sense. I am here. It is hilarious that you keep saying Duke was the best team two years in a row. One, that's an absolute lie. Two, the best team rarely wins. Again, an example how you don't respect how hard it is to win a championship.
You’re getting the definition of "loaded" confused with "deep".

Duke's starting 5 was loaded, but duke was not deep at all.

Man for man, Duke had the best starting 5 and two of duke's players were far better than anyone else you faced.

It is what it is, we are both arguining our points, I'm not trying to get under your skin, I just feel like K had the team best suited to win the whole thing and he fell short again.

On top of that, I called Calipari out for the way both 2010 and 2015 ended. I like Cal, I think he's a perfect fit for UK, but he got outcoached in those losses and I'm sick of the one and done. It needs to go away. I think Cal would kill it if he had veteran rosters, but instead, he has to start over from scratch every year.

So it's not like I'm just throwing shade at K to be a troll, I call it how I see it.

Maybe I'm thinking too highly of K, Zion and RJ, I just thought they were the best combination going into the tournament and I didn't see a single duke fan on here tempering expectations before the tournament.

Anybody that thinks Duke hasn't been loaded the past few years is just being a ridiculous homer. Best teams money could buy.

Anybody that thinks Duke hasn't been loaded the past few years is just being a ridiculous homer. Best teams money could buy.
Who do you think was the most expensive out of this group?

1) John Wall and Demarcus Cousins
2) Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett
3) Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid
4) Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

It’s a tough one.

It’s a tough one.

We can rule out #3. Embiid was considered a project before he got to KU.

But yeah, among the others, that's tough.....

We can rule out #3. Embiid was considered a project before he got to KU.

But yeah, among the others, that's tough.....
True but Bill Self did say that he had #1 overall pick potential within the first 15 minutes of watching him play. I would assume that everybody going after him saw the same thing, making him a lot more valuable than other guys considered better than him in the class.

Wiretap convo of former Nike guy (who didn't know he was being recorded) stating that Kentucky cheats.

So what will your new schtick be? I'm looking forward to seeing which three sentences you'll copy/paste endlessly from now on.
I said Duke cheats What does that prove. It has been proven Self is on wire tap asking for help in recruiting from a convicted felon representing .your shoe company. Provide that kind of evidence on Duke or UK. You can"t because K and Cal was not involved like Self.

It’s a tough one.
Definitely a tough choice. Considering Zion's demands, I'm going to go with curtain #2. Especially when you throw in Cam Reddish.

Definitely a tough choice. Considering Zion's demands, I'm going to go with curtain #2. Especially when you throw in Cam Reddish.
Paying for Reddish would be like paying for a porn movie through your cable network. It is a 2 hour flick that you only get 3 minutes of use out of. It has good parts, but mostly gross. You feel mostly shame afterwards because it didn't do anything for you and you could have got a better product free on the internet.

I don't think Duke was involved like Kansas. No coach like Self on wire tap. I think it is the shoe company mostly involved except a few like UofL and Kansas.
Yeah, like I said in the other thread. The teams with coaches on tape are sweating. The rest of us are just sitting back waiting to see where it goes. I do wonder what the number of ineligible players ends up being. Chances are, it is mind blowing.

I doubt if
Yeah, like I said in the other thread. The teams with coaches on tape are sweating. The rest of us are just sitting back waiting to see where it goes. I do wonder what the number of ineligible players ends up being. Chances are, it is mind blowing.
I doubt if the NCAA has the balls to do anything. Maybe do something like in the Cam Newton case. Just pass something that affects future cases.

ADVERTISEMENT