ADVERTISEMENT

FBI Wiretaps Revealed today

What I like best of the news yesterday is nothing was specific, it was all the Duke/UNC/UK's of the world did this, nothing substantial.

It’s actually very substantial, even if technically hearsay.

For example, in a separate meeting, on June 20, 2017 in New York, when Code was introduced to Blazer and undercover agents (who he didn't realize were working for the FBI, but rather thought were investors in Dawkins' company), Code discussed the power and influence of some of the biggest schools in the sport.

And it comes in no small part from the big four-letter company.

"Nike schools pay too," Code says on one of the videos. "In some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of those schools are doing something to help their kids."

Code later adds, "it's a mess because there's so much money involved."

When this portion of the video was played, Blazer testified that he understood Code to mean Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky to be schools that had relationships "like the ones we had Arizona … paying assistant coaches to get access to players."

This is not the bluster of an up-and-comer: Code played at Clemson, spent more than a decade at Nike and rose to such a position where he was in charge of the company's most coveted and profitable grassroots basketball operation. While what Code was caught saying on the video is still technically considered hearsay -- and not evidence under oath -- it is nonetheless coming from a man who knows what the hell he's talking about.

Nike schools pay too,” followed by direct mention of Kentucky, Duke, UNC etc is pretty specific, in a broad sense.

(Cue Cat Incognito: “How would Code know anything!!?!!)

Reactions: HRTheCard
Never said KU didn’t have some major talents (even though half of them didn’t play in the tourney). But again...Cal has had more than double the number of NBA players.

So you don’t agree with Calipari’s roster strategy?
I take it you don't understand how this works? The NBA drafts on potential. Do you know what that means?

Fact is, we don't get to see these kids play anywhere near their peak until they are in the NBA. All they need is size, measurables, athletesism and a good shooting ability.

Booker is a great example of this. Had a decent freshman year at UK, but, like so many freshmen, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn or defend elite players in the NCAAT (Sam Decker for 1), but when he got in the NBA, he took off. The NBA is a different game.

If Cal could get these players back for even 1 more season, he would have more titles instead of starting over from scratch every year.

Do you understand how difficult it is to mold a new team every year and turn them into a cohesive unit? I don't think you do judging by your posts.

To me, I don't understand how KU and UNC don't have more titles. Both of those programs consistently return great talent and end up with extremely talented VETERAN teams.

Well, maybe not so much with KU, there seems to be a lot of suspensions and defections over there. But all those BIG12 titles and 1 seeds haven’t done a thing for KU as far as titles go.

But you keep on hating on UK instead of looking at the downfalls of your own program. winning with freshmen is far more difficult than winning with veteran teams.

Take a look at the teams that are winning titles. Why isn't KU winning more? They always have a similar makeup: Talented freshmen mixed in with Great veterans. Yet Calipari and UK have outperformed KU the last 10 years.

You do though. You constantly taking jabs at U of L. Most of you do in fact, you may not be on par with the raftards, but you’re not too far behind. I was almost 9 and I do remember it, youd have to be pretty feeble minded to not remember something at that age, not pointing fingers :eek:....I could see you not being able to remember something at 4-5 years old, but 9? Were you a special case? Do you not have any recollection of grade school or middle school? I guarantee I have a better memory and IQ if you can’t remember an occurrence when you’re in 4th grade, lol. You have called U of L many insults in the past, and thrown plenty of shade. Not sure if your short-term memory is as shoddy as your long-term, but man get it together! :p
Couple things.

You and HRT keep coming on here and seem to immediately go to the "Kentucky fans are obsessed with UL" bit. It's really getting old.

You have HRT that starts bait threads and has a negative UK slant in every one of his posts (but we're obsessed?), then goes running around the board crying wolf.

Secondly, your university has done more than enough shady shit the last 5 years to earn the beating it takes on this board. You guys want everyone to just sweep it under the rug like these scandals and disgusting events were nothing more than stealing bubble gum from your local gas station. Sorry, but these scandals are.much more serious than that.

If these things happened at UK, you guys would never let it go, stop acting like you wouldn't.

This is a daily occurrence with you guys. You take shots at UK and UK fans, then, after we retaliate, you play the "you're obsessed with UL" card.

Trust me, nobody is obsessed with UL, but when your school is consistently mired in a scandal, you're going to get blasted on here.

Shit, you guys bring up the crap that happened at uk in the 80's and sometimes even the point shaving scandal of the 40's, like that's as disgusting as bringing whores in to have sex with underaged recruits and their fathers, ripping off taxpayers or working with a shoe company to bring in mediocre recruits.

Just stop the madness guys, nobody gives a shit about UL until you guys come over here and play your games.

I've tried to have civil discussions with you guys, but it's just not possible, you pull punches every chance you get, then want us to sit there and not retaliate. It's a childish cycle that needs to stop.

You do though. You constantly taking jabs at U of L. Most of you do in fact, you may not be on par with the raftards, but you’re not too far behind. I was almost 9 and I do remember it, youd have to be pretty feeble minded to not remember something at that age, not pointing fingers :eek:....I could see you not being able to remember something at 4-5 years old, but 9? Were you a special case? Do you not have any recollection of grade school or middle school? I guarantee I have a better memory and IQ if you can’t remember an occurrence when you’re in 4th grade, lol. You have called U of L many insults in the past, and thrown plenty of shade. Not sure if your short-term memory is as shoddy as your long-term, but man get it together! :p

really? go back and find the "constantly" you speak of
you have become a true TARD fan (since you have decided we should use childish insults)

in 1988 you were 7,even simple math is too much for you

Reactions: kl40504
Never said KU didn’t have some major talents (even though half of them didn’t play in the tourney). But again...Cal has had more than double the number of NBA players.

So you don’t agree with Calipari’s roster strategy?
Cal is the best college basketball coach. We love him. Much better than Self.

It’s a weak excuse more often than not. He knows that, despite some growing pains early in the season, he will (or can) always be in the conversation with the talent he has. He wouldn’t trade rosters with almost anyone in the country in a given year, so why complain? And why not sprinkle in more recruits who will stay 2-3 years?
Cal is the best. Love you Cal.

You do though. You constantly taking jabs at U of L. Most of you do in fact, you may not be on par with the raftards, but you’re not too far behind. I was almost 9 and I do remember it, youd have to be pretty feeble minded to not remember something at that age, not pointing fingers :eek:....I could see you not being able to remember somethings at 4-5 years old, but 9? Were you a special case? Do you not have any recollection of grade school or middle school? I guarantee I have a better memory and IQ if you can’t remember an occurrence when you’re in 4th grade, lol. You have called U of L many insults in the past, and thrown plenty of shade. Not sure if your short-term memory is as shoddy as your long-term, but man get it together! :p
UofL cheats so much that it is impossible not to take jabs at them. You are the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: JC for 3
Cal is the best college basketball coach. We love him. Much better than Self.

Eh, the best college basketball coach would have more than four Final Fours and a single national title. Maybe "most underachieving college basketball coach" is more accurate?

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Well, again I don’t dislike him. I kind of like him actually. Despite the fact that he comes off as a snake oil salesman who never stops attention whoring.
Cal has done more good for the community and for disaster victims in other countries than almost any other college coach.

Eh, the best college basketball coach would have more than four Final Fours and a single national title. Maybe "most underachieving college basketball coach" is more accurate?
We love Cal. K flamed out with the most talent in college basketball this year.

We love Cal. K flamed out with the most talent in college basketball this year.

Coach K flamed out?

So I suppose Cal in 2015 =

Hindenburg_disaster_800x482.jpg

Reactions: uncfan in ky
(BTW, for the normal UK posters, I'm just trolling this guy. Don't take it seriously. I love me some Swaggy Cal.)

The program that’s been better than yours in the modern era? Kind of, I guess.

Now imagine having NBA rosters every year and half as many titles as Jay Wright. Laughing

Better at what???

Cal era:
  • Most wins
  • Most NCAA Tournament wins
  • Most Sweet 16's
  • Most Final Fours
  • ....and beat KU with the title on the line.

Reactions: kl40504
It’s actually very substantial, even if technically hearsay.

For example, in a separate meeting, on June 20, 2017 in New York, when Code was introduced to Blazer and undercover agents (who he didn't realize were working for the FBI, but rather thought were investors in Dawkins' company), Code discussed the power and influence of some of the biggest schools in the sport.

And it comes in no small part from the big four-letter company.

"Nike schools pay too," Code says on one of the videos. "In some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of those schools are doing something to help their kids."

Code later adds, "it's a mess because there's so much money involved."

When this portion of the video was played, Blazer testified that he understood Code to mean Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Kentucky to be schools that had relationships "like the ones we had Arizona … paying assistant coaches to get access to players."

This is not the bluster of an up-and-comer: Code played at Clemson, spent more than a decade at Nike and rose to such a position where he was in charge of the company's most coveted and profitable grassroots basketball operation. While what Code was caught saying on the video is still technically considered hearsay -- and not evidence under oath -- it is nonetheless coming from a man who knows what the hell he's talking about.

Nike schools pay too,” followed by direct mention of Kentucky, Duke, UNC etc is pretty specific, in a broad sense.

(Cue Cat Incognito: “How would Code know anything!!?!!)
Just like you saying Kentucky or Duke is paying players. Anyone can say anything. Provide the proof. The only proof that is evident is that some Kansas players have been paid because the NCAA has suspended them for receiving pay.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Hm, interesting fact:

Average RSCI rating of 2018-19 UK team, minus Reid Travis (who was #35 in RSCI in high school, but was also a 5th year All Conference big man when he got to UK) = 25

Average RSCI rating of 2018-19 Duke team, minus Jordan Goldwire (who was literally unranked, so if you want to average him in as like #300, go ahead) = 46

(I didn't include walk-ons or guys who basically got no minutes.)

Last edited:
I take it you don't understand how this works? The NBA drafts on potential. Do you know what that means?

Fact is, we don't get to see these kids play anywhere near their peak until they are in the NBA. All they need is size, measurables, athletesism and a good shooting ability.

Booker is a great example of this. Had a decent freshman year at UK, but, like so many freshmen, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn or defend elite players in the NCAAT (Sam Decker for 1), but when he got in the NBA, he took off. The NBA is a different game.

If Cal could get these players back for even 1 more season, he would have more titles instead of starting over from scratch every year.

Do you understand how difficult it is to mold a new team every year and turn them into a cohesive unit? I don't think you do judging by your posts.

To me, I don't understand how KU and UNC don't have more titles. Both of those programs consistently return great talent and end up with extremely talented VETERAN teams.

Well, maybe not so much with KU, there seems to be a lot of suspensions and defections over there. But all those BIG12 titles and 1 seeds haven’t done a thing for KU as far as titles go.

But you keep on hating on UK instead of looking at the downfalls of your own program. winning with freshmen is far more difficult than winning with veteran teams.

Take a look at the teams that are winning titles. Why isn't KU winning more? They always have a similar makeup: Talented freshmen mixed in with Great veterans. Yet Calipari and UK have outperformed KU the last 10 years.
Wow. If I were to post this exact same thing except put Duke in Kentucky's spot, you would laugh at me. Funny how it is difficult to win with freshmen when it's Kentucky. But if it's Duke losing in the elite eight with freshmen, biggest choke job in years.

Wow. If I were to post this exact same thing except put Duke in Kentucky's spot, you would laugh at me. Funny how it is difficult to win with freshmen when it's Kentucky. But if it's Duke losing in the elite eight with freshmen, biggest choke job in years.

To be fair, I think Cal has taken more than his deserved amount of crap for it, especially in his first four or five years at UK.

The media: "Calipari is ruining college basketball with these OADs!!"

.....after K gets involved with OAD's:

"Coach K adapted to the college basketball landscape."

The media: "Calipari is ruining college basketball with these OADs!!"

.....after K gets involved with OAD's:

"Coach K adapted to the college basketball landscape."
You UK fans sure do pay a lot of attention to what the media says. I know you cant read, so do you listen to podcasts or do you have a special puter that reads to you?

Duke didn’t just have run of the mill freshmen. You have to be joking.

Duke had a generational player + a transcendent player + three 5* players, one of which was a junior.

UK had that in 2010, 2012 and 2015. I've already stated multiple times that UK/Cal severely underachieved in 2010. 2015 went 38-0 and lost in the FF.

We may never see a player of Zion's caliber again and the best coach of all time had him, plus the others described above, yet fell well short of expectations.

Defend K all you want, but he underachieved bigtime with what should have been a juggernaut.

Duke had a generational player + a transcendent player + three 5* players, one of which was a junior.

UK had that in 2010, 2012 and 2015. I've already stated multiple times that UK/Cal severely underachieved in 2010. 2015 went 38-0 and lost in the FF.

We may never see a player of Zion's caliber again and the best coach of all time had him, plus the others described above, yet fell well short of expectations.

Defend K all you want, but he underachieved bigtime with what should have been a juggernaut.

U.K. was preseason 1 or 2 and Duke was preseason #4. If Duke underachieved, so did Kentucky!

really? go back and find the "constantly" you speak of
you have become a true TARD fan (since you have decided we should use childish insults)

in 1988 you were 7,even simple math is too much for you
1989 was post season ban I turned 9 in January 90, you’re arguing semantics and something you can’t prove. Weird. Still love you though, @mebeblue2 !!!

Don’t turn into one of those guys!

Reactions: mebeblue2

It just shows how hard it is to win a championship. Especially with 4 fresmen and mediocre role players. That has been your problem from the beginning of this conversation. You don't respect facts, you don't respect circumstances. You only use the part of an argument that helps your narrative. It is so easy to say that because a team had the best player, they should have won the championship. That is you assigning expectations and if they don't meet your expectations, you get to label them a bust. You refuse to look back and reassess how things should have been viewed.

Couple things.

You and HRT keep coming on here and seem to immediately go to the "Kentucky fans are obsessed with UL" bit. It's really getting old.

You have HRT that starts bait threads and has a negative UK slant in every one of his posts (but we're obsessed?), then goes running around the board crying wolf.

Secondly, your university has done more than enough shady shit the last 5 years to earn the beating it takes on this board. You guys want everyone to just sweep it under the rug like these scandals and disgusting events were nothing more than stealing bubble gum from your local gas station. Sorry, but these scandals are.much more serious than that.

If these things happened at UK, you guys would never let it go, stop acting like you wouldn't.

This is a daily occurrence with you guys. You take shots at UK and UK fans, then, after we retaliate, you play the "you're obsessed with UL" card.

Trust me, nobody is obsessed with UL, but when your school is consistently mired in a scandal, you're going to get blasted on here.

Shit, you guys bring up the crap that happened at uk in the 80's and sometimes even the point shaving scandal of the 40's, like that's as disgusting as bringing whores in to have sex with underaged recruits and their fathers, ripping off taxpayers or working with a shoe company to bring in mediocre recruits.

Just stop the madness guys, nobody gives a shit about UL until you guys come over here and play your games.

I've tried to have civil discussions with you guys, but it's just not possible, you pull punches every chance you get, then want us to sit there and not retaliate. It's a childish cycle that needs to stop.
Lol way too long didn’t read. Don’t act innocent, Jeff.

Couple things.

You and mebe and havok for that matter need to realize that most of the shade I throw is in response to the UK trolls that have come out of the woodwork on this board. If you want to take indirect offense to something I probably didn’t even quote you on, that’s on you. I’m not gonna let the likes of kl, ripthru or any of the other mouth breathers continuously throw shade at our program. There will be a response, and I’m sorry if that hurts your feelings. It seems like it does.

What KU "always" has is absence of their top big man (if not multiple key players). Hard for Embiid to carry a team to the final four if he doesn't play.

The "drafting on potential" copout is really weak. I've gone through the list before, and the vast majority of Kentucky's draft picks under Cal were very good college players. Many among the best players in the country. The Skals and Ortons are few and far between.

And it's not as if KU got to see Embiid or Oubre anywhere near their peak.

What do you think about the Merl Code stuff btw? Think he was lying in those secretly recorded conversations?

U.K. was preseason 1 or 2 and Duke was preseason #4. If Duke underachieved, so did Kentucky!
So preseason rankings are better indicators of what a team is than rankings in March??? This is a joke right?

Nobody knew Zion was a generational player when they did their pre season rankings.

So preseason rankings are better indicators of what a team is than rankings in March??? This is a joke right?

Nobody knew Zion was a generational player when they did their pre season rankings.
So you saw how Duke was playing in and leading up to March and that gave you the indication that they were playing championship level basketball?

It just shows how hard it is to win a championship. Especially with 4 fresmen and mediocre role players. That has been your problem from the beginning of this conversation. You don't respect facts, you don't respect circumstances. You only use the part of an argument that helps your narrative. It is so easy to say that because a team had the best player, they should have won the championship. That is you assigning expectations and if they don't meet your expectations, you get to label them a bust. You refuse to look back and reassess how things should have been viewed.
So you don't think Duke had the most talent and the best coach?

Who else had a better starting 5? Who had the better coach in your opinion?

Duke was the #1 overall seed for a reason.

Those are facts.

ADVERTISEMENT