ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Staff Scares Off Kentucky on Recruiting Trail

Damn. But it's ok for Duke recruits to have lunch with Rich Paul?

Wasn’t aware of that. But one lunch doesn’t exactly equal sitting behind the bench for big games. Especially if the lunch was just a one time thing. Also rich Paul, as successful as he has become, has never been talked about in the same light as www as far as steering recruits or operating in the shadows or however u wanna phrase it. And I have no idea what www did, does, didn’t, or doesn’t do, but like I said in reference to wooden and Gilbert I don’t think it’s a crazy coincidence that cal started recruiting at an unprecedented level right after he formed a relationship with www.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that Derrick Rose’s fraudulent act was taken in www’s backyard. But I’ll save that tin foil hat for another day.

True, but no one’s been pulling in the talent that Duke has for a decade plus other than Kentucky. And it’s not as if Kentucky is standing in their way every year or winning the NC every year. They haven’t faced each other in the tourney in over 20 years.

Again, it’s hard to compare the eras due to the different format and a number of factors, but you can’t just omit Wooden from the conversation because it was a different era.

The big difference, UK and Duke have the one and dones. Wooden was keeping that talent for 4 years. Different era different rules. Wooden had a huge advantage landing the talent and keeping them.

Wasn’t aware of that. But one lunch doesn’t exactly equal sitting behind the bench for big games. Especially if the lunch was just a one time thing. Also rich Paul, as successful as he has become, has never been talked about in the same light as www as far as steering recruits or operating in the shadows or however u wanna phrase it. And I have no idea what www did, does, didn’t, or doesn’t do, but like I said in reference to wooden and Gilbert I don’t think it’s a crazy coincidence that cal started recruiting at an unprecedented level right after he formed a relationship with www.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that Derrick Rose’s fraudulent act was taken in www’s backyard. But I’ll save that tin foil hat for another day.

Rich Paul IS an agent; he's LBJ's agent.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2017/08/lebron_james_rich_paul_meet_wi.html

I know who he is and that he’s lebron and ad’s agent among others.

What I don’t know is what www does. Is he an agent too.
He's the man of mystery, who's been know to be around a lot of schools incl. UK, Duke, UL, Memphis etc. I think he's the boogie man.

Maybe we haven’t seen www in a while bc someone had the balls to tell him it’s not a good look for the players to be celebrating with their bag man/runner/agent/shoe salesman IMMEDIATELY after winnin the national championship.

I know who he is and that he’s lebron and ad’s agent among others.

What I don’t know is what www does. Is he an agent too.

According to you he is, among other things, an agent.

Is Rich Paul a certified agent by the NBA? Honestly, not sure but I thought under the new rules that HS kids could meet with an NBA certified agent. Unless I'm misunderstanding the new rules that have been set up for kids to talk with agents at some point.

According The the article he is “agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports...”. This was in regard to his lunch with a senior Cam Reddish. Not sure when the new rule took effect.

According to you he is, among other things, an agent.

That’s was my obvious sarcasm bc no one really knows what he does, unless he did indeed become and agent.

And he was close to the UL program, when he was a college aged kid because he grew up with walls and Wagner who played for U of L, which was in the 80’s where he developed a beef with Denny crimson how walls and milt were utilizes despite us winning a NC in that span. Then he carved himself out a nice career selling shoes using his connections. Since he quit selling shoes I have no idea what he’s done to be named the most powerful man in basketball by sports illustrated some years back. Nor do I know what he’s up to now.

Last edited:
That’s was my obvious sarcasm bc no one really knows what he does, unless he did indeed become and agent.
He did. Once he did, UK higher ups said, he can't be around. too lazy to look up link, but the story is there. Truth be told, he still sits behind the bench a lot in our NCAAT games. :eek:

wait, shouldn't we be lashing out to your school on how we're jealous and trying to tear down your success. No.....makes sense. Who cares. I feel like Im back in 2010.

According The the article he is “agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports...”. This was in regard to his lunch with a senior Cam Reddish. Not sure when the new rule took effect.

I'm aware of the article and aware of Cam having lunch with he and James. I just know there is a rule now that allows amateur athletes to talk with agents before they turn professional. Perhaps this was one of those meetings.

He did. Once he did, UK higher ups said, he can't be around. too lazy to look up link, but the story is there. Truth be told, he still sits behind the bench a lot in our NCAAT games. :eek:

wait, shouldn't we be lashing out to your school on how we're jealous and trying to tear down your success. No.....makes sense. Who cares. I feel like Im back in 2010.

I know U keep saying 2010, but The time frame was more like 2010-15, and after he wasn’t allowed around the program anymore or as much is around the same time K started getting the better of cal on the recruiting trail, for the most part cals recruiting has been extremely good as well.

And to be honest I respect www, bc even in the shady world of recruiting, I know/knew he was never looking to leech onto players for money bc he already had his own. I was/am mainly jealous at how good his nephews were and how they ended up at uk whether he “steered them or not”. I believe he’s a genuinely good dude looking out for the kids and their families, he’s just the enemy bc of his hate boner for U of L and love for cal. (I would say Uk, but it’s not its KP and cal, he accompanied johnnwall on his Official visit to Memphis bc I remember memphiabfans saying wall was in the bag bc ppl saw him on campus with www) Plus he’s Nike through and through. Glad he’s an agent though now, impeccable timing. I forgot to mention he’s also good friends with Kenny Payne since Payne played at Louisville with Wagner and walls.

I know U keep saying 2010, but The time frame was more like 2010-15, and after he wasn’t allowed around the program anymore or as much is around the same time K started getting the better of cal on the recruiting trail, for the most part cals recruiting has been extremely good as well.

And to be honest I respect www, bc even in the shady world of recruiting, I know/knew he was never looking to leech onto players for money bc he already had his own. I was/am mainly jealous at how good his nephews were and how they ended up at uk whether he “steered them or not”. I believe he’s a genuinely good dude looking out for the kids and their families, he’s just the enemy bc of his hate boner for U of L and love for cal. (I would say Uk, but it’s not its KP and cal, he accompanied johnnwall on his Official visit to Memphis bc I remember memphiabfans saying wall was in the bag bc ppl saw him on campus with www) Plus he’s Nike through and through. Glad he’s an agent though now, impeccable timing. I forgot to mention he’s also good friends with Kenny Payne since Payne played at Louisville with Wagner and walls.

Did he really stop associating with Kentucky in 2015? Hmmm....

Did he really stop associating with Kentucky in 2015? Hmmm....

That’s when his last known nephew (KAT) played there. I know he was around in 2012 bc of the victory celebration I’ve mentioned. I know he was around in 2013 bc pitinos dumbass made sure security wouldn’t let him in the building for one of our tourney games bc pitino was a butthurt egomaniac, and then again in 2014 when we lost to uk in the tourney. Then of course his “nephew” played on the 2015 teamAnyone that doesn’t think www had a huge hand in cals success has their head wayyy in the sand.

I don’t know the exact date of when he became an official agent nor when the uk higher ups said he couldn’t be so closely associated with the program. He wasn’t around just one year in 2010, that I do know.

Ps: I put nephew in quotes bc he’s not genetically kin to kat or mkg but he was close with the families and they called him uncle Wes, not that that really matters or means anything.

That’s when his last known nephew (KAT) played there. I know he was around in 2012 bc of the victory celebration I’ve mentioned. I know he was around in 2013 bc pitinos dumbass made sure security wouldn’t let him in the building for one of our tourney games bc pitino was a butthurt egomaniac, and then again in 2014 when we lost to uk in the tourney. Then of course his “nephew” played on the 2015 teamAnyone that doesn’t think www had a huge hand in cals success has their head wayyy in the sand.

I don’t know the exact date of when he became an official agent nor when the uk higher ups said he couldn’t be so closely associated with the program. He wasn’t around just one year in 2010, that I do know.

Ps: I put nephew in quotes bc he’s not genetically kin to kat or mkg but he was close with the families and they called him uncle Wes, not that that really matters or means anything.

Half the players in the NBA probably call him "Uncle Wes."Laughing

I wished we had him around more. His nephews were great players for UK and nothing shady ever was mentioned with them. The only negative about having him around is message board fodder with someone using as him being negative somehow.

Reactions: RipThru
He was operating in gray areas, aau stuff, like I mentioned SI didn’t call him the most powerful man in basketball a few years back bc he had a couple of nephews who were really good and hung around the program.

I do agree mkg and kat are all class

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He was operating in gray areas, aau stuff, like I mentioned SI didn’t call him the most powerful man in basketball a few years back bc he had a couple of nephews who were really good and hung around the program.

I do agree mkg and kat are all class

Who doesn't?

Five-star Duke basketball target ‘really high on Kentucky’

by Matt Giles1 hour ago Follow @MattGilesBD
  • A familiar foe may stand in the way of the Duke basketball coaches snagging a commitment from the No. 1 big man in the 2021 class.
    When O’Dea High School (Wash.) power forward Paolo Banchero takes his Duke basketball official visit the weekend of Oct. 17 — coinciding with Countdown to Craziness — the Cameron Crazies should have their work cut out in convincing the 6-foot-9, 235-pound five-star to forget about Kentucky.

Banchero, who ranks No. 4 on the 247Sports 2021 Composite with a frame and inside-out game sparking comparisons to former Duke basketball star Jabari Parker, will arrive in Durham fresh off his visit to Lexington — during which he will attend the Wildcats’ Big Blue Madness.

• “I’ve been watching Kentucky for a while, since John Wall was playing, watching Coach Cal on TV…Hearing Coach Cal’s voice and him saying they were offering me was surreal.”

Far less glowing and specific were Banchero’s comments about the Blue Devils — who extended him an offer in July, a month after his Wildcats offer — which came in response to a question about the vision Mike Krzyzewski has for him. In fact, he seemed to need an extra second just to rehash said vision:

“Umm…just kind of put the ball in my hands, allow me to make plays, just make plays for my teammates, just kind of be put all over the floor.”

Add to that issue the tight bonds the 16-year-old and his mom apparently have already formed with Kentucky head coach John Calipari.

“I’m really high on Kentucky,” Banchero said, with an undeniable positive inflection in his voice, as a guest this week on Kentucky Sports Radio’s Sources Say Podcast. “I’m looking forward to my visit…Coach Cal talks to my mom all the time. Him and my mom have a great relationship. He talks to me…

“Actually, he just texted me a couple of minutes ago, wants to talk to me tonight.”

“I mean, obviously Washington is under consideration, but they are nowhere near the favorite,” Banchero disclosed during the interview. “No one is the favorite. I’m open to every school — even though both my parents went [to Washington].

“My mom went through this whole recruiting process, and I mean, she chose Washington, but that was a different Washington than it is now.”

Banchero has never been on so much as an unofficial visit to Washington — only 20 minutes from his house — and, at least from his comments during the podcast, doesn’t sound overly anxious to ever do so. Meanwhile, he has scheduled three official visits on top of the ones to Kentucky and Duke: to North Carolina the weekend of Sept. 27, to Tennessee the weekend of Oct. 25, and to Gonzaga the weekend of Jan. 17.

As for when to expect a final decision from Banchero, who recently shut down the idea of reclassing to 2020, he said, “If it was ideal, I would want it to be before my senior year of high school.”

So it sounds like Coach K and his assistants should still have a year or more to make their pitch. And, on a possibly related note, their trip to Memphis next week to see five-star point guard Kennedy Chandler could ultimately work in their favor when pursuing Banchero.

ALSO READ: Duke offer ‘likely coming’ for 2021 PG Kennedy Chandler

“[Chandler] is really the only one I’ve ever talked to [about teaming up with in college],” Banchero recalled just before signing out of the podcast.

Rivals’ Corey Evans may have best summed up the current status of the battle for Banchero during his chat this week with Lexington Herald-Leader’s Ben Roberts:

“I think if he does leave Washington, it’s going to be Kentucky or Duke. And, right now, I think he’s feeling Kentucky a little more.”

ADVERTISEMENT