ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Staff Scares Off Kentucky on Recruiting Trail

I think it is safe to say that Duke would be the betting favorite in a best of series with anyone last year. Including the Spartans.

Are you willing to argue that the best team always wins in a one and done format?

As we all know the tournament doesn’t work like that. Experienced talent IMO will trump inexperienced talent. Duke in 2015 and UK in 2012 are the exceptions. I never seen a Duke team that couldn’t shoot like last years team. I said this before Tre Jones coming back was huge for you guys.

Reactions: tw3301 and Mac9192
As we all know the tournament doesn’t work like that. Experienced talent IMO will trump inexperienced talent. Duke in 2015 and UK in 2012 are the exceptions. I never seen a Duke team that couldn’t shoot like last years team. I said this before Tre Jones coming back was huge for you guys.
Those 2 title teams aren’t like the Duke/Kentucky teams of the last few seasons. Their veterans were really big down the stretch. That’s what Duke fans are hoping for this season with Delaurier, White, and O’Connell. Not to mention we have a pretty good point guard that is a sophomore.

Been quite a while since Duke can say they have a good returning point guard. Not hyped as much as the last 3 seasons, but it may be the one to get to the final 4.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Those 2 title teams aren’t like the Duke/Kentucky teams of the last few seasons. Their veterans were really big down the stretch. That’s what Duke fans are hoping for this season with Delaurier, White, and O’Connell. Not to mention we have a pretty good point guard that is a sophomore.

Been quite a while since Duke can say they have a good returning point guard. Not hyped as much as the last 3 seasons, but it may be the one to get to the final 4.
I'm curious to see what UK and Duke will do with returning PGs.

The thing at the end of the year is a one and done tournament and teams can get upset in that format despite being clearly the better team? Something along those lines maybe?

TL:DR = CoachK sucks balls at everything except recruiting.

I don't think Cal is going to be scared off Duke per se. But, I think you could argue maybe he'd rather not go head-to-head as often. Coach K doesn't offer that many scholarships. From the 2018 and 2019 classes, he's only offered 26 scholies - and he signed 9 of those kids. That's a heck of a yield.

Head-to-head from the 2020, 2019, 2018 classes:

2020:
BJ Boston- Kentucky
Jalen Johnson- Duke
Jeremy Roach- Duke

2019:
Vernon Carey- Duke
Matthew Hurt- Duke

2018:
RJ Barrett- Duke
Zion Williamson- Duke
Cam Reddish- Duke
EJ Montgomery- Kentucky

I remember reading on the DI that the Duke staff backed off of EJ late in the game, too. I presume because they knew Bolden and DeLaurier were returning.
We did not back off of Boston until he made it clear he was going to UK.Cal or K are not scared of recruiting against anyone but both will switch their efforts to someone else when they realize that they cannot get a particular player.To quote K “ next play”

We did not back off of Boston until he made it clear he was going to UK.Cal or K are not scared of recruiting against anyone but both will switch their efforts to someone else when they realize that they cannot get a particular player.To quote K “ next play”

"who's next" for UK.

But yeah, UK and Duke are going to get theirs. Someone mentioned earlier about the lack of scholarships offered by K/Duke. Same way with UK/Cal. He doesn't offer many. Some teams offer a lot of players. Reading through the recruiting rankings and players, it's surprising how many some blue bloods offer.

*just got home and already being picked on by a mosquito. :mad:

Reactions: topps coach
Is Duke still recruiting Terrence Clarke? Just checking.

With decision date coming, you should back off now to save face. :D

I'm a near perfect jinx.

*Im hearing Jon scheyer is leaving. Is that true?

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I think it's safe to say that money talks. Because results in the NBA and ncaa tourney since 2015 don't bear out at all that any recruits should be choosing duke over kentucky.

Yeah, he is.
John Wooden and Bob Knight were both better basketball coaches than K, he's a great for sure but not the goat.

K in the last 10-20 years has gotten by with ESPN draining his nuts, and running pretty much a nonstop Duke infomercial that has done wonders for his recruiting.

They get every single call down the stretch in tournament games and have for years. They also ALWAYS have the easiest road.

Last edited:
John Wooden and Bob Knight were both better basketball coaches than K, he's a great for sure but not the goat.
Wooden has an argument. Bob Knights accolades put him behind K, Wooden, Dean, Roy and Rupp. He may have a better basketball mind but he didn’t do more than those guys.

Wooden has an argument. Bob Knights accolades put him behind K, Wooden, Dean, Roy and Rupp. He may have a better basketball mind but he didn’t do more than those guys.
I don't care about accolades, they aren't everything. You also have to factor in the ridiculous amount of talent he's had at Duke along with the calls he gets at the end of tournament games.

He also ALWAYS has the easiest road in the tournament, great sure but not the goat.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I don't care about accolades, they aren't everything. You also have to factor in the ridiculous amount of talent he's had at Duke.
It’s a coaches job to get that talent there. His prime was in a more difficult era to win than any other top coach except for Roy. He’s definitely 1 or 2.

Accolades are the only thing we can use to compare top coaches in history. Otherwise it’s all subjective.

TL:DR = CoachK sucks balls at everything except recruiting.

He's not the goat

Yeah, he is.

Keep in mind that John Wooden was at UCLA for 16 years before he won his first title, then Sam Gilbert got involved with the program...
Don't forget to take your thoughts to the poll I started about this very topic. Just trying to get a general consensus. It's certainly not unanimous.

Keep in mind that John Wooden was at UCLA for 16 years before he won his first title, then Sam Gilbert got involved with the program...

I think this is a lame argument.

I mean, of course UCLA was paying. But there aren’t impermissible benefits going around at Duke?

The bottom line here is who did more with what they had? Wooden did nothing but win titles when he had talent, while K often loses in the first weekend with great talent. Granted, it was a different era.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

I mean, of course UCLA was paying. But there aren’t impermissible benefits going around at Duke?

The bottom line here is who did more with what they had? Wooden did nothing but win titles when he had talent, while K often loses in the first weekend with great talent. Granted, it was a different era.
We're talking about the 60s and 70s, before shoe companies ran things. Nobody else was pulling in the talent UCLA had.

Reactions: tw3301

K in the last 10-20 years has gotten by with ESPN draining his nuts, and running pretty much a nonstop Duke infomercial that has done wonders for his recruiting.

Not to mention they get every single call down the stretch in tournament games and have for years. They also ALWAYS have the easiest road.
Pretty obvious you are somehow biased. And secondly, obvious you don’t w@tch much Duke basketball.

Really can’t compare Wooden and K. Differ t eras. And you want to talk about recruiting advantages. Wooden is the poster child.

How about that. Baraxus shedding negative light on Duke and K. Shocking.

I don't care about accolades, they aren't everything. You also have to factor in the ridiculous amount of talent he's had at Duke along with the calls he gets at the end of tournament games.

He also ALWAYS has the easiest road in the tournament, great sure but not the goat.
You are so full of shit I can smell it through the computer.

It's funny when you look at the players Cal has backed off of and the players linked to the recruiting scandals. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Truer words have never been spoken. Post on rafters more often with posts like this

Reactions: SIhoosier26

How long was Cal taking Memphis to NITs before www got involved?

It was around the same time they hired milt Wagner to do something you don’t need a degree to do, so they could land his son Dejuan. Milt and www were friends growing up.

I will say www is one smart dude. The guy seemingly disappeared off the map for the past 4-5 years for no reason then boom it comes out the feds are looking into the cesspool that is recruiting. It wasn’t so long ago AD and company were goin into the stands to celebrate with him after they won it all in 2012.

Last edited:
How long was Cal taking Memphis to NITs before www got involved?

It was around the same time they hired milt Wagner to do something you don’t need a degree to do, so they could land his son Dejuan. Milt and www were friends growing up.

I will say www is one smart dude. The guy seemingly disappeared off the map for the past 4-5 years for no reason then boom it comes out the feds are looking into the cesspool that is recruiting. It wasn’t so long ago AD and company were goin into the stands to celebrate with him after they won it all in 2012.
The same WWW that is tight with K and Boeheim?

Reactions: RipThru
Yea that’s the one. I just don’t remember him sitting courtside at any of their games. I also don’t remember any of his “nephews” playing for either school. Is he an “ambassador” in Syracuse and Durham as well

I certainly don’t remember any duke players running past their coaching staff to give him high fives and hugs after they won it all in 2015.

Seriously tho, wonder what dudes been up to. Were mkg and kat the last of his many nephews? Like I said earlier, he went ghost at the right time, coincidence or not, brilliant move.

It's funny when you look at the players Cal has backed off of and the players linked to the recruiting scandals. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not.

Maybe KP was getting texts to stay away bc of the small ransoms they/the families were looking for on the eybl circuit.

We're talking about the 60s and 70s, before shoe companies ran things. Nobody else was pulling in the talent UCLA had.

True, but no one’s been pulling in the talent that Duke has for a decade plus other than Kentucky. And it’s not as if Kentucky is standing in their way every year or winning the NC every year. They haven’t faced each other in the tourney in over 20 years.

Again, it’s hard to compare the eras due to the different format and a number of factors, but you can’t just omit Wooden from the conversation because it was a different era.

True, but no one’s been pulling in the talent that Duke has for a decade plus other than Kentucky. And it’s not as if Kentucky is standing in their way every year or winning the NC every year. They haven’t faced each other in the tourney in over 20 years.

Again, it’s hard to compare the eras due to the different format and a number of factors, but you can’t just omit Wooden from the conversation because it was a different era.
I'm not omitting Wooden, I'm just saying I don't think it's just some crazy coincidence that he started his career with zero titles in 15 years (didn't even get close to sniffing one) then won 10 in his last 12 years.

I'm not omitting Wooden, I'm just saying I don't think it's just some crazy coincidence that he started his career with zero titles in 15 years (didn't even get close to sniffing one) then won 10 in his last 12 years.

And I don’t think it’s a crazy coincidence that before www, cal was a middle of the pack conf USA coach who had one nice run at umass with camby, then he gets in the door with www through Dejuan and milt Wagner and becomes the best recruiter in history and rakes in top 2 classes every year.

Eerily similar circumstances besides the fact that wooden lead his Uber talented teams to cut down the nets TEN TIMES, but in fairness he didn’t have to deal with all the one and done stuff so he was able to build his rosters over a few years not rebuild every year like the one and done model forces some coaches to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
And I don’t think it’s a crazy coincidence that before www, cal was a middle of the pack conf USA coach who had one nice run at umass with camby, then he gets in the door with www through Dejuan and milt Wagner and becomes the best recruiter in history and rakes in top 2 classes every year.

Eerily similar circumstances besides the fact that wooden lead his Uber talented teams to cut down the nets TEN TIMES, but in fairness he didn’t have to deal with all the one and done stuff so he was able to build his rosters over a few years not rebuild every year like the one and done model forces some coaches to do.
Laughing That's great.

Maybe we haven’t seen www in a while bc someone had the balls to tell him it’s not a good look for the players to be celebrating with their bag man/runner/agent/shoe salesman IMMEDIATELY after winnin the national championship.

Maybe we haven’t seen www in a while bc someone had the balls to tell him it’s not a good look for the players to be celebrating with their bag man/runner/agent/shoe salesman IMMEDIATELY after winnin the national championship.

Damn. But it's ok for Duke recruits to have lunch with Rich Paul?

ADVERTISEMENT