ADVERTISEMENT

Corruption

please explain how Trump meeting with Putin is making our country suffer
how has he alienated our allies other then telling them we are no longer the piggy bank of the world

i agree with Trump on making fair and equal trade
no one wants to pay their fair share but as taxpayers we do every day, why should our allies get a free pass on paying their fair share
How do you think we are the richest nation in the world if all of these countries are ripping us off so readily? Anyone who thinks we are being ripped off by the world does not understand economics. A trade deficit does not mean you are "losing". That is not how the economy works.

If you don't believe me, from the Koch brothers (who I'm sure you know and love): https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/are-trade-deficits-really-bad-news

How do you think we are the richest nation in the world if all of these countries are ripping us off so readily? Anyone who thinks we are being ripped off by the world does not understand economics. A trade deficit does not mean you are "losing". That is not how the economy works.
Some trade deals were put in place a long time ago when the other side of the deal from us was struggling or needed the help. Many of those scenarios aren't necessary any longer. Nobody hear has implied (to my knowledge) that a trade deficit means we're losing. More people have said fair trade is something they want or agree with. We can still have a trade deficit with a country and have a fair agreement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/its...-to-start-caring-about-trumps-legal-woes.html

Good article to read.

Reactions: mebeblue2
From the White House press conference, happening right now:

Reporter: Did President Trump commit a crime?

Sarah Sanders: As the President said, we stated many times, he did nothing wrong. There are no charges against him and we have commented on this extensively.

Reporter: Why not report the payments?

Sarah Sanders: Again, I'm not getting into the back and forth details. I can tell you as the President has stated on numerous occasions, he did nothing wrong. There are no charges against him in this. Just because Michael Cohen made a plea deal doesn't mean that implicates the President on anything.

Reporter: Can you say the President has never lied to the American people? So many look back at the tape of him on Air Force One saying he knew nothing about the payments, when in fact we now know he knew everything about the payments. So has he lied?

Sarah Sanders: I think that's a ridiculous accusation. The President in this matter has done nothing wrong. There are no charges against him.

Read that last part again:)

Reporter: Can you say the President has never lied to the American people? So many look back at the tape of him on Air Force One saying he knew nothing about the payments, when in fact we now know he knew everything about the payments. So has he lied?

Sarah Sanders: I think that's a ridiculous accusation.

o_O

She DID make sure to say "He did nothing wrong, there are no charges against him" every single time she spoke.

Reactions: Jaycg15
Some trade deals were put in place a long time ago when the other side of the deal from us was struggling or needed the help. Many of those scenarios aren't necessary any longer. Nobody hear has implied (to my knowledge) that a trade deficit means we're losing. More people have said fair trade is something they want or agree with. We can still have a trade deficit with a country and have a fair agreement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/22/its...-to-start-caring-about-trumps-legal-woes.html

Good article to read.
Trump has absolutely stated we are losing because of trade deficits. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/26/us/politics/trump-trade-deficit-fact-check.html

The idiot that doesn't even understand trade deficits is the guy you are hitching your wagon to, hoping he fixes the economy? RollLaugh

please explain how Trump meeting with Putin is making our country suffer
how has he alienated our allies other then telling them we are no longer the piggy bank of the world

i agree with Trump on making fair and equal trade
no one wants to pay their fair share but as taxpayers we do every day, why should our allies get a free pass on paying their fair share

Trump is Putins lap dog, everyone sees it and like I said earlier I bet his tax returns can explain alot.. He talks to our allies like kids and lies so much he doesn't know what lie he told to who or when. Your second paragraph I agree with but as a whole no one did this to Trump, he's doing this all to himself and now he's damage control mode.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Trump is Putins lap dog, everyone sees it and like I said earlier I bet his tax returns can explain alot.. He talks to our allies like kids and lies so much he doesn't know what lie he told to who or when. Your second paragraph I agree with but as a whole no one did this to Trump, he's doing this all to himself and now he's damage control mode.
HAHAHAHAHA! The good old tax return conspiracy. Keep that tin foil hat on little guy.

Read my post again. It quite clearly states "nobody hear" and doesn't mention Trump. I'm going to stop responding to you if I have to explain my posts every time because you can't read.
And where did I single out anyone here as believing that? Quit moving the goalposts.

Edit: You replied to my previous post prior to my edit... so I'll put it below.

The idiot that doesn't even understand trade deficits is the guy you are hitching your wagon to, hoping he fixes the economy? RollLaugh

And where did I single out anyone here as believing that? Quit moving the goalposts.

Edit: You replied to my previous post prior to my edit... so I'll put it below.

Well it's clear tariffs and trade deficits alone aren't required to fix the economy. It's a piece, but clearly a small one in the grand scheme of things. Bernstein had an interesting piece out that calc'd the impact of tariffs and trade deals on the broader economy. I don't recall the exact figures, but they were very small. Smaller than I would have guessed in terms of the impact on GDP and the broader economy.

Well it's clear tariffs and trade deficits alone aren't required to fix the economy. It's a piece, but clearly a small one in the grand scheme of things. Bernstein had an interesting piece out that calc'd the impact of tariffs and trade deals on the broader economy. I don't recall the exact figures, but they were very small. Smaller than I would have guessed in terms of the impact on GDP and the broader economy.
"They aren't destroying the economy completely." Is this really your stance in arguing for support of tariffs? Hopefully most Americans have higher standards for economic policy.

I’m fairly certain just about all tariffs will be rolled back when Trump loses White House on election.

For maybe the first time in a long time, I'm beginning to wonder if he will make it to the next election, or if the GOP will cut its losses and go elsewhere.

BTW, nice to see new "faces" in this sort of convo. Gets boring with the same people all the time.

BTW, because I'm afraid folks missed this pretty important tidbit...

Uh... that's a pretty big thing, if it all plays out like that...?

Just getting back to the topic of the thread:)

Well, that is pretty much the only defense you have offered up for the tariffs in the last 3 pages. So....
Uh, if that's what you've gotten then your comprehension is as bad as your reading skills. I've said this entire time that I believe and the people I've talked with believe it's better for the long run while we will likely see some short term pain. Oh, and what about the potential trade deal with Mexico that's rumored to be announced soon? Probably just more of a bad thing, huh?

Uh, if that's what you've gotten then your comprehension is as bad as your reading skills. I've said this entire time that I believe and the people I've talked with believe it's better for the long run while we will likely see some short term pain. Oh, and what about the potential trade deal with Mexico that's rumored to be announced soon? Probably just more of a bad thing, huh?
"Long term gains" is such an abstract idea that it can't be argued against. I already asked you to clarify, and you decided not to.

Do you want a return to a manufacturing based economy? Countries to send their goods to us cheaper than they already are? Countries to spend more on our products that already cost more than products produced elsewhere? What possible outcome are you looking for here?

PS: "People I've talked to" is not a source.

For maybe the first time in a long time, I'm beginning to wonder if he will make it to the next election, or if the GOP will cut its losses and go elsewhere.

Getting impeached is probably the only way Republicans will retain Presidency. McConnell is too conservative to do something radical like abandon support.

Assuming is one thing. Having a lawyer publically say that Trump conspired with Russia and Trump's personal attorney has proof that he will share with Bob Mueller...? That's pretty crazy.
Agreed, its a legal bombshell. The court of public opinion had already reached that obvious conclusion once the story on the Russia meeting changed for the 76th time.

Getting impeached is probably the only way Republicans will retain Presidency. McConnell is too conservative to do something radical like abandon support.

As I said earlier, what sucks is that I don't think most Republican politicians want Trump; they know he is a moron, and you can find a million stories about them saying so off the record.

But the base... they are so worried about dumping Trump, because they worry that the die hard Trump Republicans will punish them for being adults.

As I said earlier, what sucks is that I don't think most Republican politicians want Trump; they know he is a moron, and you can find a million stories about them saying so off the record.

But the base... they are so worried about dumping Trump, because they worry that the die hard Trump Republicans will punish them for being adults.
I couldn't feel less sorry for them. Country over party.

The countless traders I work with and talk to. They count? I've stated that several times now.
As a source, no they don't. Try linking to the opinion or polls of actually respected economists if you want people to give any weight to your argument. I'm sure you can find some that will say the tariffs are good (the vast majority of economists would disagree).

For example, here are sources supporting my claim:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2018/05/04/1100-economists-no-trump-tariffs/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...p-tariffs-wont-help-the-economy-idUSKCN1GQ02G
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/business/economy/trump-economists.html
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tariffs-trade-war-bad-for-economy-poll-2018-6

Notice how I didn't have to anecdotally bring up day traders I know to support my argument?

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
From the White House press conference, happening right now:

Reporter: Did President Trump commit a crime?

Sarah Sanders: As the President said, we stated many times, he did nothing wrong. There are no charges against him and we have commented on this extensively.

Reporter: Why not report the payments?

Sarah Sanders: Again, I'm not getting into the back and forth details. I can tell you as the President has stated on numerous occasions, he did nothing wrong. There are no charges against him in this. Just because Michael Cohen made a plea deal doesn't mean that implicates the President on anything.

Sarah Sanders: I think that's a ridiculous accusation. The President in this matter has done nothing wrong. There are no charges against him.

Read that last part again:)

Sarah Sanders: I think that's a ridiculous accusation.

o_O

She DID make sure to say "He did nothing wrong, there are no charges against him" every single time she spoke.
In my opinion...this is the kinda stuff that really pisses me off. He did obviously know. He stated he didn't. How can anyone dance around something like this is absurd. The thing is--what happens next? Why can politicians get away with this stuff. How does someone in this position not have to field the question and then answer it?

In my opinion...this is the kinda stuff that really pisses me off. He did obviously know. He stated he didn't. How can anyone dance around something like this is absurd. The thing is--what happens next? Why can politicians get away with this stuff. How does someone in this position not have to field the question and then answer it?
Because his base eats that shit up, and sane republicans won't speak up about it. That is literally the only reason.

Every single republican member of congress is complicit. Especially in the senate, where their majority is tiny. If one or two of them had spines that would be that.

Because his base eats that shit up, and sane republicans won't speak up about it. That is literally the only reason.

Unfortunately we’ve reached this crazy spot where people literally will ignore reality if it goes against what they WANT to believe. Trump was the ringleader of what I think was the worst one... the whole “Obama is a Muslim foreigner” thing. There was literally zero evidence of this... in fact, there was famous evidence AGAINST it (that Obama had a pastor) and yet nearly two thirds of Trump backers belief that Obama is a Muslim. And there is no talking them out of it... they’ll just say “Well, that’s my opinion, and I’m allowed to have an opinion” or something inane like that. People (and this isn’t limited to right wing folks) just believe what they want to believe, evidence or facts be damned.

Our country is in a really scary place right now, in some ways.

Reactions: keith37
Unfortunately we’ve reached this crazy spot where people literally will ignore reality if it goes against what they WANT to believe. Trump was the ringleader of what I think was the worst one... the whole “Obama is a Muslim foreigner” thing. There was literally zero evidence of this... in fact, there was famous evidence AGAINST it (that Obama had a pastor) and yet nearly two thirds of Trump backers belief that Obama is a Muslim. And there is no talking them out of it... they’ll just say “Well, that’s my opinion, and I’m allowed to have an opinion” or something inane like that. People (and this isn’t limited to right wing folks) just believe what they want to believe, evidence or facts be damned.

Our country is in a really scary place right now, in some ways.
Facts are fake news, and wild baseless conspiracy theories are facts.

Capital markets, yes, not just futures specifically. I don't think the bottom will drop out, but then again my definition of that may be different than your own. I could see a pullback of 10% or so at some point. The yield curve is relatively flat which is an indicator that a recession could be on the horizon (not guaranteed). Overall, I think it's clear the markets are in favor of Trump's pro-growth policies which is why you see muted responses to some of the political headlines from the markets. Given how strong corporate earnings have been this cycle along, dampened fears on tariffs/trade and the recent GDP growth number, I don't anticipate any significant pullback without a major catalyst.

Also, it goes further on policies than just tax cuts and a Supreme Court nominee for Republicans like myself. I'm sure you were just generalizing, but wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't just those two things for me.
I am sure you are aware of the rise in buybacks due to the tax cuts. The wealthy are indeed seeing huge gains and profiting off of policies in place. The general public however is spending more by borrowing more. The wealth gap grows and is a very real pr Been for many people and creates more divide. With regulations being eased, my fear would be one like the housing crisis in 2007-08. These tax cuts have morning made it to the everyday American, nor has it created much in the way of companies investing in infrastructure. The tariffs being added only add fuel to the situation as NOW, investing in infrastructure has become more costly.

I am sure you know more about the market than I, but it really isn’t tough to look at what is happening and find precedents like 2007 that point to a problem if things continue as is. Fuel prices are going up again, housing has stalled, fricking Zickerburg lost 10 fortunes in one day. We are a consumer society now, tariffs won’t change that, therefore they become a tax on consumers as manufacturers and importers pass the increase in doing business onto the consumer. If you believe that Americans demanding lower prices is part of the issue in the trade imbalance, which I do, I hate unions by the way, than you can see how the tariffs can actually lose jobs as well as leave less expendable income for people to spend. Americans won’t work for the pay it takes to make these consumable items, therefore we see jobs going elsewhere.

I don’t know, I have way more to say, but o do know we aren’t going back to factory jobs out of high school and middle class neighborhoods being affordable to the majority. I do believe in capitalism, but it must be regulated and right now, I can see all kinds of signs that what we are seeing is Trump manipulating the market with tweets, investors taking advantage of lower prices and then a retraction that brings the value of the orIginal stock back up, thus funneling money to unscrupulous investors.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can not see why Russia would want Trump to be president. He has unilaterally acted against long held policies that would be advantageous to Russia. He has created devise and his connections to and placement of criminals at high leveled has created mistrust and confusion at the highest level of government. I don’t think Trump is a Russian infiltrator, but I believe he is dirty enough and dumb enough to let Russia help him win the election, even if all they did was stir up mistrust and confusion to help him win.

People may not see the long term damage being done, but you would have to ignore the past 85 years of foreign policy to not see a problem here.

Reactions: SNU0821
ADVERTISEMENT