ADVERTISEMENT

Charges

brooky03

Jan 10, 2012
why can't college refs get them right? I thought they were making an emphasis to fix them this year?

It was a charge from all the angles I saw during the game. Even if he was slightly leaning left to get his shoulder ran over.......... it would only be a make up for the tall center getting a 3pt play at the end of regulation where he used his off arm to create the bucket ...in other words offensive foul.

It was a charge from all the angles I saw during the game. Even if he was slightly leaning left to get his shoulder ran over.......... it would only be a make up for the tall center getting a 3pt play at the end of regulation where he used his off arm to create the bucket ...in other words offensive foul.

It should have been a no call. It was a flop of the highest order. If that amount of contact warrants a foul call, then every contested post shot in history is a foul. He barely touched him... and the defender was leaning.

PS. I'm not blaming the loss on the call. Syracuse's inability to hit open shots and free throws lost the game

Reactions: robamartin

If we're going to talk about all the bad calls, then let's bring up Battle getting karate chopped on the arm 5 feet away from the ref in the open court with no call.

Reactions: robamartin
If we're going to talk about all the bad calls, then let's bring up Battle getting karate chopped on the arm 5 feet away from the ref in the open court with no call.

yeah that was a missed call .... ..but imo Syracuse got away with a lot of contact the last 14 minutes of reg and ot so like you said those arent the reason Cuse lost.... just one of those nights where Cuse took a mid major lightly on top on not being to throw the ball in the ocean..

their confident in how they are going to call them when cals ky team are playing, AGAINST!

The best part about Syracuse losing to St. Bonaventure is reading that Battle is still at Syracuse. I hope he misses the NCAA Tournament again.

Regarding that charge call on brissett late in OT that reversed a plus one that could have given us the lead, i agree with those that say that technically, by the book, it probably was a charge, but that it's just frustrating because it's usually not called a charge in normal game situations, and very rarely called when its likely to determine the outcome of the game. It was the over the top flop that sold it.

But credit to the bonnies, they've got a good team now that their best player is back and healthy after missing 4 games. I don't think syracuse took them lightly. They were expected to be the better NY team coming into the season. Syracuse just had a bad night shooting, and the bonnies did a great job neutralizing battle.

Honestly, it should be a block 95% of the time. It can be difficult, but most are not that close. Always give the benefit of doubt to the offense, IMO.

As a UK fan who likes to gripe about refs. The block versus charge sometimes can go either way. Many that they show on replay can go either way and I honestly don't know what the right call would be. If it works out 50/50 on each team then I guess that they are correct calls.

Perspective is all that matters. A charge from one angle is a block and another angle it is a charge.

I am not smart enough to tell on the 50/50 ones.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
why can't college refs get them right? I thought they were making an emphasis to fix them this year?
Just watched. What did you think was wrong with the call? I will wait for your response, before I say why I think it was "wrong".

As a player I like those plays to be no calls. No real contact, offense is trying jump around the defender, the defender makes the shot more difficult. The art of the no call needs to be taught.

As a player I like those plays to be no calls. No real contact, offense is trying jump around the defender, the defender makes the shot more difficult. The art of the no call needs to be taught.
Terrific answer. And it's the reason I didn't like the call. Now was it the wrong call? Didn't look like it. But IMO, it's a no call. Best advice I was ever given was during my first year of officiating: Old timer who was a great official told me---"The best call in basketball is a no call". I've tried to kinda live by that philosphy when working a game.

Edit: Just saw your last sentence. And man do I agree. I think to many officials are just to god damn eager to make a call. Not all contact is a foul.

Reactions: npreston
Just watched. What did you think was wrong with the call? I will wait for your response, before I say why I think it was "wrong".

My issue is that there was almost zero contact, and certainly not enough to say the shooter gained an advantage (which I always thought was the main criteria for a foul call). The offensive player made every effort to avoid the contact and go around the defender, while the defender leaned his upper body in front of a player already in the air, or on his way up. I don't think a secondary defender should be rewarded for drawing minimal contact and throwing himself to the ground. Should have been a no call, imo.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
My issue is that there was almost zero contact, and certainly not enough to say the shooter gained an advantage (which I always thought was the main criteria for a foul call). The offensive player made every effort to avoid the contact and go around the defender, while the defender leaned his upper body in front of a player already in the air, or on his way up. I don't think a secondary defender should be rewarded for drawing minimal contact and throwing himself to the ground. Should have been a no call, imo.
Agree. Felt a no call was best.

Reactions: brooky03
ADVERTISEMENT