ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk a little bit about LSU?

Ironic how that turned out...
It is what it is but to be honest LSU is usually on the other end of that stick.

UK in all reality should have never put themselves in that position to begin with. They really have nobody to blame but themselves. Here's another angle that clearly shows ball was off the rim.
9043381.jpg

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
It is what it is but to be honest LSU is usually on the other end of that stick.

UK in all reality should have never put themselves in that position to begin with. They really have nobody to blame but themselves. Here's another angle that clearly shows ball was off the rim.
9043381.jpg

“Off the rim” and “not inside the cylinder” are two different things.

You’re right though, UK lost that game with poor play long before that FIBA tip.

9043381.jpg

I'm not sure you understand. The ball doesn't have to be touching the rim. The ball was with in the cylinder, therefore the goal shouldn't have counted. And if we shouldn't have been in that position is a different discussion. But one I would agree with you on...

Reactions: Tigerocker
If LSU is able to knock off Tennessee next week, they would be in the driver's seat. Still a lot of games to play, obviously. They could still lose a road game to say Alabama or Florida. But they should feel good where they are.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Now if we can get UK to knock out UT then LSU can control their own destiny into taking over the SEC division. Could be 1st place and get a really good seed in NCAA Tourney.
LSU can control their own destiny right now. You don't need to UK to beat UT, you just need to do it and then win out.

Until last night Kentucky controlled their own destiny. Beat LSU and UT both time and they win the SEC. Now they have to beat UT twice to tie and pray that someone knocks off LSU.
Yeah, y'all are behind the 8 ball as far as the SEC title is concerned, but you still have a great team and who knows what can happen. Y'all are capable of contending for the NCAA title, not many can make that claim with a straight face.

I'm not sure you understand. The ball doesn't have to be touching the rim. The ball was with in the cylinder, therefore the goal shouldn't have counted. And if we shouldn't have been in that position is a different discussion. But one I would agree with you on...
... as posted on another board:

CBS showed the instances when they can review the instant replay. Those are:
Free Throws, Scoring, Timing, Fouls, and Violations. I guess someone needs to explain how goal-tending is not a violation. Just don't understand.

That shot clearly shows the ball is on the outter part of the cylinder and not in the cylinder.

LSU can control their own destiny right now. You don't need to UK to beat UT, you just need to do it and then win out.

True but it will help in the long run. Don't expect them to win out in the SEC.

I am not sure this is a great UK team and I don't see them contending for any title.
Bert, this is pretty straight talk. You have the pieces, we have both seen y'all play lights out and seen ya lay an egg. If you put it together at the right time, y'all can win it all.

Of course I hope a certain team in Orange does that instead of UK.:)

^^
It's like people don't know what goaltending is. Reminds me of the evidence conversation a few days ago.
This argument is clearly started by cry baby fans that choose to blame losses on BS things. The play was legal and LSU won a tight battle against a very good UK team.

Page 87, NCAA Men’s Basketball 2018-19 Rules

Section 15. Basket Interference and Goaltending

Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.

Art. 2. Basket interference

a. Basket interference occurs when a player:

1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;

2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;

3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder;

4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position, and

5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.

b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.

c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.

d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.

---------------------------------------------------

The official rules, posted above. It's clearly to me that Bigby-Williams was guilty of basket interference (see #2 and 2 (b) ), as the ball was in the cylinder.

However, I'm wondering if there was an infraction on Montgomery's part? His hand did go through the net while the ball was slightly above his hand. Look at subsection a (1) which says that a player cannot touch the basket while the ball is within the basket. What constitutes as"within"?

Also, how do you read Article 2, section d (last bolded portion). The language is hard to follow.

"However, I'm wondering if there was an infraction on Montgomery's part?"

Per Seth Greenberg, no because Montgomery's hand was not in the basket or on the rim when the ball hit the rim

Page 87, NCAA Men’s Basketball 2018-19 Rules

Section 15. Basket Interference and Goaltending

Art. 1. It is a violation to commit basket interference or goaltending.

Art. 2. Basket interference

a. Basket interference occurs when a player:

1. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket;

2. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base;

3. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder;

4. Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position, and

5. Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder.

b. The cylinder is the imaginary geometric figure that has the ring as its base and is formed by the upward extension of that ring.

c. The ball shall be considered to be within the basket when any part of the ball is below the cylinder and the level of the ring.

d. A player may have a hand legally in contact with the ball, when this contact continues after the ball enters the cylinder or when, during such action, the player touches or grabs the basket.

---------------------------------------------------

The official rules, posted above. It's clearly to me that Bigby-Williams was guilty of basket interference (see #2 and 2 (b) ), as the ball was in the cylinder.

However, I'm wondering if there was an infraction on Montgomery's part? His hand did go through the net while the ball was slightly above his hand. Look at subsection a (1) which says that a player cannot touch the basket while the ball is within the basket. What constitutes as"within"?

Also, how do you read Article 2, section d (last bolded portion). The language is hard to follow.
You really kinda need to show video of the play to make an argument. Otherwise you're just quoting the rule book.

That shot clearly shows the ball is on the outter part of the cylinder and not in the cylinder.

True but it will help in the long run. Don't expect them to win out in the SEC.

Seth Davis‏Verified account@SethDavisHoops 15h15 hours ago

There is literally no disputing that that was basket interference. Very difficult call to make especially in that situation and not reviewable.

6:09 PM - 12 Feb 2019

Seth Davis‏Verified account@SethDavisHoops 15h15 hours ago

There is literally no disputing that that was basket interference. Very difficult call to make especially in that situation and not reviewable.

6:09 PM - 12 Feb 2019

The shot above the rim clearly showed the ball WITHIN THE CYLINDER.

I actually thought we would get beat by LSU. But I also think we win Sat vs UT.

LSU has some fine players and a good coach. We had about a 10 minute stretch where some really bad playing and decision making took place. That cost us the game. Those will be corrected.

I actually thought we would get beat by LSU. But I also think we win Sat vs UT.

LSU has some fine players and a good coach. We had about a 10 minute stretch where some really bad playing and decision making took place. That cost us the game. Those will be corrected.
Well, at least you'll be batting 1000 after the Vols finish y'all off.:)

You really kinda need to show video of the play to make an argument. Otherwise you're just quoting the rule book.

No, the ESPN God's have spoken. Seth G and Co all said he removed his hand out in time

Haha, Greenberg. He has a very nice way of stating opinions as facts. I don't claim to be an expert on this rule, certainly I wouldn't expect a ref to call it if the ball isn't anywhere near the goal. But the ball was directly above Montgomery's hand, albeit a good 2 feet or so. I don't think it could have altered the shot, but I don't know how you interpret no touching the basket when the ball is within the basket. If it said within the cylinder, that would be pretty clear. But the rules don't specify.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT