ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk a little bit about LSU?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Along with being a DePaul fan I've always had a special place in my heart for LSU. Started when I was an impressionable 16 year old and I spent the whole weekend at the Rosemont Horizon for the opening round of the NCAA in 1987. LSU was there and I fell in with their fans and ended up spending the whole weekend hanging with them cause they were so fun. Ever since then I've been an LSU fan.

Being an LSU bball fan isn't really that dissimilar from being a DePaul fan. You get to appreciate decades of coaching incompetence and watch a program get run into the ground before your very eyes. I got to watch Ray Meyer and Dale Brown, quite possibly two of the worst in game coaches in the history of CBB.

But, after over a decade of what can best be described as apathy, it appears as if LSU might finally be on to something and ready to turn the corner. I really like this new young coach Wade and the energy he brings to the program. It's exactly what a program like LSU needed. And throw in the combo of Wade and a really nice looking freshman PG in Waters (who looks like a 4 year guy) and I can definitely see this team becoming a factor in the SEC in the next year or so.

I'm really excited about what Wade is going to do for this program. Especially after watching Jones coach the team 2 years ago with Ben Simmons in what can only be described as the worst season long exhibition in head coaching in the history of CBB.

GEAUX TIGERS!

Along with being a DePaul fan I've always had a special place in my heart for LSU. Started when I was an impressionable 16 year old and I spent the whole weekend at the Rosemont Horizon for the opening round of the NCAA in 1987. LSU was there and I fell in with their fans and ended up spending the whole weekend hanging with them cause they were so fun. Ever since then I've been an LSU fan.

Being an LSU bball fan isn't really that dissimilar from being a DePaul fan. You get to appreciate decades of coaching incompetence and watch a program get run into the ground before your very eyes. I got to watch Ray Meyer and Dale Brown, quite possibly two of the worst in game coaches in the history of CBB.

But, after over a decade of what can best be described as apathy, it appears as if LSU might finally be on to something and ready to turn the corner. I really like this new young coach Wade and the energy he brings to the program. It's exactly what a program like LSU needed. And throw in the combo of Wade and a really nice looking freshman PG in Waters (who looks like a 4 year guy) and I can definitely see this team becoming a factor in the SEC in the next year or so.

I'm really excited about what Wade is going to do for this program. Especially after watching Jones coach the team 2 years ago with Ben Simmons in what can only be described as the worst season long exhibition in head coaching in the history of CBB.

GEAUX TIGERS!
This board needs more enthusiastic people like you, keep posting.

Very nice win last night for LSU on the road vs Memphis. Waters is a helluva freshman PG, almost like a very poor man's version of Trae Young. One difference in Waters "favor" is that at 5'11 I imagine he is a 4 year guy so LSU will get the benefit of having him around a long time vs OU only getting one year of Trae.

With next year's top 10 recruiting class combined with Waters and the new young coach, this team's future over the next few years is looking more promising than it has in a very long time.

Reactions: ReturnOfOakboy
I was rooting for the Tigers last night (winky)..
How tiny is Waters?! Yikes, he's small, but looks incredibly fun.
LSU def on the rise with Will Wade.

Also, that Rivers kid on Memphis will be fun to keep an eye on.
Fun game last night, even tho it wasn't that close in the final few minutes.

That was a fun game yesterday. Great to see some progress in the program.

GEAUX TIGERS!
Geaux tigers

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tremont Waters is a poor man
's/mini version of Trae Young.

Nothing wrong with being that.

Massive and dominant road win vs Arkansas for the Tigers last night. Wire to wire domination.

If they beat Alabama on Saturday it's time to stat putting them in the top 25.

LSU was definitely tough for us. Hard nosed ball, something they haven't been doing really since Brady. Waters is obviously a tremendous talent. Duop seemed like a solid big man too. We got out of there lucky to get a W frankly. Gotta say...Wade has impressed me so far with what he's done there.

8422760.png

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
That's friggen awesome! Thanks for posting.

So fired up for LSU next couple seasons, could be best team they've ever had.

Honestly, I’m not sold on Wade. He’s enthusiastic, but a lot of young guys are enthusiastic. I have a feeling he’ll end up a bit of a flop at the high major level—just like previous VCU coaches.

But we will see. Never a shortage of talent for LSU.

I'm glad Wade left VCU and we were able to land Samir Doughty.

Both Tigers in the west will be fun to watch over the next few years.

As a Kentucky fan, I like when LSU is good. LSU and Florida are the only programs that have the ability to consistently reel in elite talent, and the SEC (and UK) are better off when they're good.

LSU is a legitimate Final Four candidate, and Tremont Waters is a legitimate National Player of the Year candidate. Should be a fun year for LSU.

I don't know if I share quite that level of optimism, but man do I hope you're right!

Hopefully Tremont actually gets some attention this year unlike last season when he wasn't selected for 1st or 2nd team all SEC and lost out to Freshman of the year honors to Sexton and Knox. He as arguably just as good as Sexton last year and he was definitely better than Knox.

GEAUX TIGERS!
It would be nice to see LSU competitive in Basketball after being a doormat for years. They are definitely recruiting better players. LSU just got a commitment from a top 150 player. Wow.

Last edited:

GEAUX TIGERS!
I have always had a special place in my heart for Crayfish Etouffee. However, I don't think LSU CBB is anything special this year.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Great win last night. Tremont started like shit and even got pulled from the game early, but he dominated the 2nd half and carried the team to a win.

I think that's 6 in a row for the Tigers.

Had the pleasure of meeting and tailgating with them at the 05 Cap One Bowl. Great people.

I got separated from my group in Orlando one of the nights, and had no clue where I was. Two LSU fans drove me to all the hotels in the area until we found it.

Salt of the earth people.

The freshman Smart is really pissing me off lately. Black hole who turns it over on drives more often than he even gets a shot off. Did hit a nice 3 last night from a catch and shoot in the 2nd half.

He really needs to stop dribbling the air out of the ball when he's running the point. He should be moving the ball up to Mays on the wing before he even crosses half court, but instead he dribbles it up and then dribbles some more until there is 10 seconds left on the clock and then he puts his head down and drives into the teeth of the defense with predictable results.

Reactions: Tigerocker
The freshman Smart is really pissing me off lately. Black hole who turns it over on drives more often than he even gets a shot off. Did hit a nice 3 last night from a catch and shoot in the 2nd half.

He really needs to stop dribbling the air out of the ball when he's running the point. He should be moving the ball up to Mays on the wing before he even crosses half court, but instead he dribbles it up and then dribbles some more until there is 10 seconds left on the clock and then he puts his head down and drives into the teeth of the defense with predictable results.
Can't agree more on Smart and he really tries to take it to the land of giants and it's just not there then forces the issue and loses it. Wade pulled him right after he made that poor play but he did come back and make some nice 3's. He's a good player but has lots to learn about forcing the issue at crucial times.

Fwiw I have always been a big Depaul fan and pull for them when they aren't playing LSU which is a rare game. You guys have great history in CBB and I'm a little older so I remember some of those great teams you guys have had in the past.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I have always had a special place in my heart for Crayfish Etouffee. However, I don't think LSU CBB is anything special this year.
Tell me that after the game in BR this year. You will get a good taste of the talent on this team.

ADVERTISEMENT