ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari can't develop talent...

Probably because their development skills speak for themselves and their fans don't need to incessantly attempt to sell it to every other fanbase.
I always find it funny how ppl take offense to UK fans talking about their team/accomplishments. They can't stand it.

Some posters/fans will notice other teams fans doing the same,but once a UK fan does it, they take offense. I'm sure you know some posters here that mainly respond to one fanbase more than anyone else.

I think you are letting your fan base off the hook here.

What hook? Passion, show up in numbers, homerism (which every fanbase have hence "fanbase")?

I just find the double standards and sensitivity to certain "rivals"funny.

We all can point out and name shit posters from every fanbase. It's not exclusive and sure a larger fanbase will have more due to law of averages.

What hook? Passion, show up in numbers, homerism (which every fanbase have hence "fanbase")?

I just find the double standards and sensitivity to certain "rivals"funny.

I think the double standard doesn’t exist. Any fan base of a blue blood who started a thread like this by one of their lunatic posters would take some heat.

I think the double standard doesn’t exist. Any fan base of a blue blood who started a thread like this by one of their lunatic posters would take some heat.
Oh no doubt, Shit posters deserve shit. Which is one of the points I tried to touch on with double standards, selective hearing, obsession, and just an overall negative attitude They all deserve being called out.

I think most here cringe each time a certain poster post from their own fanbase.

BTW, I like the back and forth,some would have resulted to personal insults by now.

I think I've made my point.

Last edited:
Oh no doubt, Shit posters deserve shit. Which is one of the points I tried to touch on with double standards, selective hearing, obsession, and just an overall negative attitude They all deserve being called out.

I think most here cringe each time a certain poster post from their own fanbase.

BTW, I like the back and forth.

No doubt. I also hope my first comment was taken for what it was, complete nonsense. There is obviously no way Cal or any coach is responsible for wrecking a kid’s chance to be drafted.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I always find it funny how ppl take offense to UK fans talking about their team/accomplishments. They can't stand it. It's not just UK.Some UK fans cannot give UNC, Duke or other teams any credit at all.

Some posters/fans will notice other teams fans doing the same,but once a UK fan does it, they take offense. I'm sure you know some posters here that mainly respond to one fanbase more than anyone else.

Well, I certainly know some that whine more than others.

Btw, why do you all constantly remind KU fans of their lack of national titles, while defending Calipari's lack of titles?

You were saying something about hypocrisy?

No one thinks cal can’t develop talent.

We just think that most every coach can develop talent, unlike bbn who thinks cal has some magic developmental secrets or secret drills only he knows that no other coach in the history of basketball has ever heard of. Hell look at the success or lack there of, of his former assistants who landed head coaching gigs. Were they not privy to all this developmental magic during practices and drills?

Developing the talent of a player comes down to three things IMO, the players god given talent/size/athleticism, managing the players personality/ego, and the players work ethic.

Like mentioned before on this board, how can Mckillop at Davidson develop steph curry into the greatest shooter in the history of basketball, and not have a single other player drafted in his entire career.

Cal doesn’t have any developmental secrets, or secret developmental practice techniques/drills, or special developmental pixie dust that no other coach in the sport does. He just has recruited and landed more talented players than any other program since he’s been at UK, except duke for the last couple seasons. I will say he does a great job at putting his players in a great position to succeed, but again that’s is also correlated with the fact that most every player he puts on the court is extremely talented so teams can’t just focus on one or two players on defense when everyone 1-5 hell sometimes 1-10 can beat you.

But UK fans believe he must be doing something so revolutionary that no other coach has ever even thought of before, which fans of other programs finds asinine.

And to the guy who asked about him coaching 27 years and only one chip, well it’s more like he’s only been coaching 14-15 years, when he met www, with only one chip.Bc before then he had 1 ff at umass with camby, and then was a middle of the pack coach regularly sending Memphis to the NIT in Conference USA.

But I will say the ncaa tourney is such a crap shoot, the best team doesn’t always win, like in 09, 14, and 15. And last year if u believe Duke was the best team as many do, to me UVA was more than worthy to win the Natty.

But cal has been more successful than anyone since he got to uk as far as winning pct,total wins, final fours, EEs, etc. Honestly his most impressive developmental job he’s done in his career might have been on himself. Na I guess that’s pretty stupid, www should get credit for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtyrock15
Who do you think the best team was in 2009?

Kentucky - wall, cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson

Unless I got my years wrong and that was 2010

Edit: yea my bad y’all beat me to it. That recruiting class was 09 but the champion that season would have been in 2010

And yet I’m pretty sure that you’re in the “Self can’t develop” camp, despite his players often showing huge improvement. Including a former Towson commit turning into NPOY.

Go figure.

that would be stupid to say........ Embiid , Graham , Mason... are just 3 he developed in the last few years.

I always find it funny how ppl take offense to UK fans talking about their team/accomplishments. They can't stand it. It's not just UK.Some UK fans cannot give UNC, Duke or other teams any credit at all.

UK fans were on Rupp's Rafters saying that Kentucky would beat an All Big Ten team last season. I got banned for calling that silly.

All fanbases have homers but Kentucky's fan base is a different breed.

@MdWIldcat55 @stoneycat_20 @gossie21 do you guy still think UK would beat an All Big Ten team last year?

"* G - Carson Edwards, Purdue. * G - Romeo Langford - Ind * G- Cassius WInston MSU * F- Ethan Happ, Wisc. * F - Jordan Murphy Minn. F -Juwan Morgan, Ind. F- Charles Matthews, Mich.

Who did I miss? That "conference all-star" lineup doesn't have the size, athleticism or talent to really scare me."

"Your hand-picked all-conference team wouldn't beat Kentucky by March in a best-of-five series. No one close to Richards' size. No forwards with the size and strength and scoring ability of Travis, Washington, Montgomery. The wing players wouldn't be as quick or athletic, overall, or have more scoring punch, than Johnson, Green, Quickly, Hagans, Baker and Herro."

UK fans were on Rupp's Rafters saying that Kentucky would beat an All Big Ten team last season. I got banned for calling that silly.

All fanbases have homers but Kentucky's fan base is a different breed.

Careful. He’s very sensitive.

I guess they just stand out to you. Fair enough. Also note the amount of posters who are UK fans compared to other fanbases. I understand UK fans stand out more.
You know it's kind of interesting . . . I don't see as many fans of other programs at random locations like I do UK fans. I remember seeing another UK fan on a ship in the Gulf of Lyon off of the coast of France, California, ran into another in Olbia, New York, and a few others. This last week I was in Naples, FL in a convenience store. The guy behind the counter had a UK t-shirt on.

I notice sweatshirts, hats and swag of ALL schools, but for some reason nobody represents in as much abundance as UK fans. Once in a while I'll see some kid with a Duke sweatshirt on, or whatever team is hot at the moment, but those occasions are rare. Not really sure why? They can't all be from here. I'd challenge anybody to go out and find more representation of any school than UK in far away places. It's bizarre.

You know it's kind of interesting . . . I don't see as many fans of other programs at random locations like I do UK fans. I remember seeing another UK fan on a ship in the Gulf of Lyon off of the coast of France, California, ran into another in Olbia, New York, and a few others. This last week I was in Naples, FL in a convenience store. The guy behind the counter had a UK t-shirt on.

I notice sweatshirts, hats and swag of ALL schools, but for some reason nobody represents in as much abundance as UK fans. Once in a while I'll see some kid with a Duke sweatshirt on, or whatever team is hot at the moment, but those occasions are rare. Not really sure why? They can't all be from here. I'd challenge anybody to go out and find more representation of any school than UK in far away places. It's bizarre.

I traveled the world and I can honestly say I seen more people wearing UNC and Duke gear than UK. I been to Europe, Australia, Far East etc and I've seen tourists/fans wearing gear from Notre Dame to Mesa CC and some sporting UK gear but in my travels I seen more people sporting UNC/Duke gear. I guess it boils down to when/where you go.

No one thinks cal can’t develop talent.

We just think that most every coach can develop talent, unlike bbn who thinks cal has some magic developmental secrets or secret drills only he knows that no other coach in the history of basketball has ever heard of.
I remember reading somewhere that a couple of NBA scouts stated that the UK kids come into the league a little more NBA-ready than most. I certainly don't believe that it's all development (any?) on Cal's part. I see it more as he just runs a more NBA-type system which could lend to that observance. That's what I see as Cal doing things differently than most others. That isn't a comparison on talent level of any other team/coach/player. I'm not necessarily glad of that.

I see the UNC's, Duke the optimal college teams, and UK's system doesn't necessarily translate to guarantee automatic success, likely due to a more-individualized system. Reid Travis (grad transfer) said that he learned more about preparing for the pros in one year at UK than he did his previous 3 at Stanford.

Last edited:
Reactions: RipThru
I traveled the world and I can honestly say I seen more people wearing UNC and Duke gear than UK. I been to Europe, Australia, Far East etc and I've seen tourists/fans wearing gear from Notre Dame to Mesa CC and some sporting UK gear but in my travels I seen more people sporting UNC/Duke gear. I guess it boils down to when/where you go.
Maybe I'm only seeing UK gear in the HIGHLY-CIVILIZED countries. jumpingsmile

Calipari has been a college head for 27 years at Massachusetts, Memphis, and now Kentucky.

We all agree that he can recruit talent. No one can deny that.
We have some evidence that he can develop talent.

But 1 championship in 27 years of head coaching? What's the excuse if he can recruit and develop talent? I guess that means he can't coach talent. At least not when it counts.

how many years has JW been a head coach?
how many years has he been at Nova which is a better program then both Umass and Memphis?

It depends on what you consider civilized. I will tell you this that there's a lot of UK fans here in NC. I see a UK sticker on a vehicle, personalized license plate or someone wearing a hat/shirt often.
Well, then . . . N.C. clearly has it's stuff together! :)

Reactions: AWilli6995
@kyjeff1 you're really sticking up for that douchebag over there? You're better than that. When people argue something as stupid as "Kentucky could beat an All B1G team" they deserved to be called out, regardless the thread. Don't stoop to that morons level.

It is pretty amazing the perception we have taken on about Championships or bust. Not just for Calipari but all coaches. HOF be damned, Runner up's be damned, FF, Regional Finals, Wins, etc. be damned. There is only one coach/team per year who had a successful season. EVERY ONE ELSE has failed miserably.

UK has only had 8 successful seasons in their entire history. KU has only had 3 in their history,never mind all the tradition, coaches tree, wins, rules etc. All meaningless. Duke 5 in their history, K has been coaching for ~40 years, he's only had 5 succesful seasons, UNC, also rich in tradition only 6 successful seasons, etc. etc. etc.

Nevermind draft picks, wins, graduation rates, all time records broken, etc. It's all meaningless without a title. And, even if you win a title, you should have won more. As fun it was watching Duke play last year. Complete failure of a season. Roy's entire time at KU was a failure. Dean Smith only had two successful season in his entire time at UNC with all his talent.. Nevermind he was once the coach with the most wins. Mark Few, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, on and on, complete failure as coaches. All time winnest percentage, meaningless.
You guys are toooooooooooo sensitive. Cal is a highly successful coach. A great recruiter. Deserves all the praise he gets. BUT.........He also deserves the criticism he gets. Thing is, when he is criticized, you guys take it personal. Then run off all the great things he's done. Then make post like this. You do this even when a poster of your own, makes such a stupid post. What do expect?

Cal's had a ton of success, and will continue to do so. He has won everywhere he's coached. So its obvious, he can coach. BUT....he has flaws, believe it or not.

I also don’t see UNC, Kansas, Duke, Villanova, or UVA fans starting threads about how their coaches can develop talent.
So much this. Its why BBN gets the shit they get. Then wander why they get such...Then pawn it off on--"Well he's one of our crazy ones....Every fan base has their share..." Yadda-Yadda--Yadda. Instead of just owning up the dumb shit---they defend it, while at the same time denying it....Crazy shit.

Cal is a highly successful coach. A great recruiter. Deserves all the praise he gets. BUT....he has flaws, believe it or not.

monocle-drop-gif-5-1.gif

@kyjeff1 you're really sticking up for that douchebag over there? You're better than that. When people argue something as stupid as "Kentucky could beat an All B1G team" they deserved to be called out, regardless the thread. Don't stoop to that morons level.
I wasn't sticking up for anyone, you jumped into a thread about a secret scrimmage between MSU and Gonzaga, nobody was bashing the BIG or any team in it, but you attacked a guy out of nowhere for a comment he made a year ago, then you said his comment about Michigan Football had nothing to do with the discussion.
My reply to you was about your hypocrisy. Your original comment had nothing to do with the thread. Everyone was being very respectful of MSU's program and nobody made a single crack about the BIG10.

I wasn't sticking up for anyone, you jumped into a thread about a secret scrimmage between MSU and Gonzaga, nobody was bashing the BIG or any team in it, but you attacked a guy out of nowhere for a comment he made a year ago, then you said his comment about Michigan Football had nothing to do with the discussion.
My reply to you was about your hypocrisy. Your original comment had nothing to do with the thread. Everyone was being very respectful of MSU's program and nobody made a single crack about the BIG10.

I searched MDWidcat55 and responded to his most recent post simply asking him how he felt about his ridiculous stance from last year. That seemed more reasonable than bumping a thread about Mega Bemax from last year to ask the same question. Do you think bumping the old thread would've been better?

Regardless, then that guy goes into some weird rant about Michigan football and Harbaugh.

Call him out for his ridiculousness. I shit on Michigan fans that post the way he does so don't let him slide because he is a UK fan. Saying that Kentucky would beat an All Big Ten team is dumber than most of the things you jump on people for in other threads.

I searched MDWidcat55 and responded to his most recent post simply asking him how he felt about his ridiculous stance from last year. That seemed more reasonable than bumping a thread about Mega Bemax from last year to ask the same question. Do you think bumping the old thread would've been better?

Regardless, then that guy goes into some weird rant about Michigan football and Harbaugh.

Call him out for his ridiculousness. I shit on Michigan fans that post the way he does so don't let him slide because he is a UK fan. Saying that Kentucky would beat an All Big Ten team is dumber than most of the things you jump on people for in other threads.
Hail, if I attacked everyone for dumb posts, I would have to quit my job to cover them all.
However, MD is a really good poster that simply posted something a bit over the top.
But your post came out of left field and had nothing at all to do with the thread he was posting in. It was very trollish and honestly came off worse than the post that caused you to do that.
You're a guest on that board, what you did gets people banned on most boards out there. Heck, any UK fan that tries to post on UL's board (sometimes you don't even have to post) gets banned immediately.
Now you're telling me you searched the guy out, basically stalked him, just to give him a piece of your mind on a post that really isn't that big of a deal.
Heck, the SEC takes a beating on here and every non-SEC home board out there, it sucks, especially since the SEC has held its own in the tournament with multiple teams in the modern era. But we're an easy target I guess.

Hail, if I attacked everyone for dumb posts, I would have to quit my job to cover them all.
However, MD is a really good poster that simply posted something a bit over the top.
But your post came out of left field and had nothing at all to do with the thread he was posting in. It was very trollish and honestly came off worse than the post that caused you to do that.
You're a guest on that board, what you did gets people banned on most boards out there. Heck, any UK fan that tries to post on UL's board (sometimes you don't even have to post) gets banned immediately.
Now you're telling me you searched the guy out, basically stalked him, just to give him a piece of your mind on a post that really isn't that big of a deal.
Heck, the SEC takes a beating on here and every non-SEC home board out there, it sucks, especially since the SEC has held its own in the tournament with multiple teams in the modern era. But we're an easy target I guess.

A bit over the top? It was outrageous. You’ve gotten into it with other fanbases for way less.
It wasn’t just that he said something outrageous, though, it’s that he did it with arrogance and now won’t as much as admit it was wrong.

A bit over the top? It was outrageous. You’ve gotten into it with other fanbases for way less.
It wasn’t just that he said something outrageous, though, it’s that he did it with arrogance and now won’t as much as admit it was wrong.
Yeah, but where did he do it? Did he do it here, or on a home board?

I believe it was on RR. If so, that should not be surprising in the least. Those are the types of comments that are posted on home boards. If it was posted on here, hell yeah, pound the dogcrap out of him, but you're over on RR attacking a UK fan for a home board rah rah post. Do you not see the issue? This doesn't compare to my back and forth posylts on here with guys that post home board crap.

I guarantee I could go to a U of M home board and dig up plenty of head shaking comments, many about the SEC and UK, but I'm not going to attack a guy on his home board for his opinion. That's what happens on home boards.

Yeah, but where did he do it? Did he do it here, or on a home board?

I believe it was on RR. If so, that should not be surprising in the least. Those are the types of comments that are posted on home boards. If it was posted on here, hell yeah, pound the dogcrap out of him, but you're over on RR attacking a UK fan for a home board rah rah post. Do you not see the issue? This doesn't compare to my back and forth posylts on here with guys that post home board crap.

I guarantee I could go to a U of M home board and dig up plenty of head shaking comments, many about the SEC and UK, but I'm not going to attack a guy on his home board for his opinion. That's what happens on home boards.

If you came to the U of M home board and dug up a ridiculous statement someone said about Kentucky to you, and that U of M fan went off on you about other stuff and calling you a lunatic and doubling down on his outrageous statements, I’d shit all over that Michigan poster for being an idiot.

And it’s not like I just dug up a random comment from a random poster. He trolled me over this a year ago. I’m just bringing it back up to him now that the season has played it.

If you came to the U of M home board and dug up a ridiculous statement someone said about Kentucky to you, and that U of M fan went off on you about other stuff and calling you a lunatic and doubling down on his outrageous statements, I’d shit all over that Michigan poster for being an idiot.

And it’s not like I just dug up a random comment from a random poster. He trolled me over this a year ago. I’m just bringing it back up to him now that the season has played it.
I get that, but it was a year ago and it was on a home board and you came out of nowhere with an attack on someone elses home board.

Like I said, if it happened here, have at it, but it happened on the craziest home board out there.

ADVERTISEMENT