ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari can't develop talent...

Between 2009 class and 2017 class, Cal has gotten 25 of the 31 (81%) top 20 recruits he has landed drafted.

The top 20 kids that chose other schools are 95 for 149 (64%).

Yup... Cal sucks at development. Lol
Pretty sure this is you, while researching this...

giphy.gif

Between 2009 class and 2017 class, Cal has gotten 25 of the 31 (81%) top 20 recruits he has landed drafted.

The top 20 kids that chose other schools are 95 for 149 (64%).

Yup... Cal sucks at development. Lol

So you're telling me that they're all created equal?

Cal cant develop talent ...signed W.C.S. , Josh Harrellson, Darius Miller, D. Willis, S.G.A, Ulis , Devin Booker, and just this past season Herro......

And yet I’m pretty sure that you’re in the “Self can’t develop” camp, despite his players often showing huge improvement. Including a former Towson commit turning into NPOY.

Go figure.

You are saying top 20 recruits when Cal has a much stronger slant to top 5 recruits then the comparisons. So it's a slanted analysis.

Exactly. Big difference between the average top 5 recruit and the lower end of the top 20.

There’s a reason that Nick Richards isn’t on the Cousins/Davis/Towns/Randle career track.

Reactions: MGC_07
You are saying top 20 recruits when Cal has a much stronger slant to top 5 recruits then the comparisons. So it's a slanted analysis.

I agree that the analysis is pretty incomplete. He may very well be but you can’t necessarily draw that conclusion based on the information provided. There’s a big difference between top 5 versus the back end of the top 20, and a lot of guys don’t have to be developed to get drafted. Some of this also assumes that the rankings are right. I think they can give a good indication of a players abilities but are certainly flawed. Of those that have finished their careers (based on 247 composite because it was easier for me to quickly check), they’ve had:
- 10 top 5 recruits.
- 10 ranked 6 to 10.
- 9 ranked 11 to 15.
- 4 ranked 16 to 20.

Current Roster:
- EJ Montgomery - 9th (Soph).
- Tyrese Maxey - 10th (Fr).
- Ashton Hagans - 12th (Soph).
- Kahlil Whitney - 11th (Fr).
- Nick Richards - 18th (Jr).

Calipari has been a college head for 27 years at Massachusetts, Memphis, and now Kentucky.

We all agree that he can recruit talent. No one can deny that.
We have some evidence that he can develop talent.

But 1 championship in 27 years of head coaching? What's the excuse if he can recruit and develop talent? I guess that means he can't coach talent. At least not when it counts.

It is pretty amazing the perception we have taken on about Championships or bust. Not just for Calipari but all coaches. HOF be damned, Runner up's be damned, FF, Regional Finals, Wins, etc. be damned. There is only one coach/team per year who had a successful season. EVERY ONE ELSE has failed miserably.

UK has only had 8 successful seasons in their entire history. KU has only had 3 in their history,never mind all the tradition, coaches tree, wins, rules etc. All meaningless. Duke 5 in their history, K has been coaching for ~40 years, he's only had 5 succesful seasons, UNC, also rich in tradition only 6 successful seasons, etc. etc. etc.

Nevermind draft picks, wins, graduation rates, all time records broken, etc. It's all meaningless without a title. And, even if you win a title, you should have won more. As fun it was watching Duke play last year. Complete failure of a season. Roy's entire time at KU was a failure. Dean Smith only had two successful season in his entire time at UNC with all his talent.. Nevermind he was once the coach with the most wins. Mark Few, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, on and on, complete failure as coaches. All time winnest percentage, meaningless.

Last edited:
Calipari has been a college head for 27 years at Massachusetts, Memphis, and now Kentucky.

We all agree that he can recruit talent. No one can deny that.
We have some evidence that he can develop talent.

But 1 championship in 27 years of head coaching? What's the excuse if he can recruit and develop talent? I guess that means he can't coach talent. At least not when it counts.

Wait. So you're saying if a coach has had 34 1st-Round picks he should more than 1 national title? Nah. Surely there are others just like that.

It is pretty amazing the perception we have taken on about Championships or bust. Not just for Calipari but all coaches. HOF be damned, Runner up's be damned, FF, Regional Finals, Wins, etc. be damned. There is only one coach/team per year who had a successful season. EVERY ONE ELSE has failed miserably.

UK has only had 8 successful seasons in their entire history. KU has only had 3 in their history,never mind all the tradition, coaches tree, wins, rules etc. All meaningless. Duke 5 in their history, K has been coaching for ~40 years, he's only had 5 succesful seasons, UNC, also rich in tradition only 6 successful seasons, etc. etc. etc.

Nevermind draft picks, wins, graduation rates, all time records broken, etc. It's all meaningless without a title. And, even if you win a title, you should have won more. As fun it was watching Duke play last year. Complete failure of a season. Roy's entire time at KU was a failure. Dean Smith only had two successful season in his entire time at UNC with all his talent.. Nevermind he was once the coach with the most wins. Mark Few, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, on and on, complete failure as coaches. All time winnest percentage, meaningless.

Don’t be so sensitive dude. One of your ***it fans decided to post a home board worthy post on this board taking about how great Cal is at developing talent. If you’re gonna talk about how great Cal is, you also have to be willing to acknowledge he has plenty of flaws. 1 championship in 27 seasons of coaching is definitely less than he should have based on his ability to recruit and develop talent.

Don’t be so sensitive dude. One of your ***it fans decided to post a home board worthy post on this board taking about how great Cal is at developing talent. If you’re gonna talk about how great Cal is, you also have to be willing to acknowledge he has plenty of flaws. 1 championship in 27 seasons of coaching is definitely less than he should have based on his ability to recruit and develop talent.
So I'm wrong about being only one successful coach/team per season? And yes, I'm a huge vagina and super sensitive. The wife tells me daily.

Reactions: UL_1986 and jhmossy
So I'm wrong about being only one successful coach/team per season? And yes, I'm a huge vagina and super sensitive. The wife tells me daily.

Of course not. There are many measures of success. Cal is a successful coach. There’s no doubt about that. But he has also fallen short and failed a lot too.

Of course not. There are many measures of success. Cal is a successful coach. There’s no doubt about that. But he has also fallen short and failed a lot too.

Cal isn’t alone. Roy, Self, K, Wright, Bennett and others have fallen short with talented teams. Hell Dean fell short a lot so it happens.

Cal isn’t alone. Roy, Self, K, Wright, Bennett and others have fallen short with talented teams. Hell Dean fell short a lot so it happens.
Winning titles is hard. The best in the business can rarely accomplish it.

If I'm feeling super negative and need to rely on a crutch, then I can always talk about how they failed more times than succeeded. I try not to be a little bitch like that though. It doesn't take any effort to be negative.

But hey, he's better than my coach in one area, so he must be better in every area. It's a tremendously lazy way of thinking, but that's the best their mind can come up with. So....they take the path of least resistance and hope ppl on message boards won't/don't see through their insecurities. .

*I'm curious to who will be the first on here to defend that stance.

Last edited:
Winning titles is hard. The best in the business can rarely accomplish it.

If I'm feeling super negative and need to rely on a crutch, then I can always talk about how they failed more times than succeeded. I try not to be a little bitch like that though. It doesn't take any effort to be negative.

But hey, he's better than my coach in one area, so he must be better in every area. It's a tremendously lazy way of thinking, but that's the best their mind can come up with. So....they take the path of least resistance and hope ppl on message boards won't/don't see through their insecurities. .

*I'm curious to who will be the first on here to defend that stance.

Yep....those who respond are the insecure ones. Not the creator of an insecure thread or those who get defensive over every remark.Laughing

I also don’t see UNC, Kansas, Duke, Villanova, or UVA fans starting threads about how their coaches can develop talent.
It was clearly bait, I'm surprised how many took it.

We know the usual suspects who will come out if Calipari/UK is brought up. It never fails.It's all in fun though. I'm a little jealous. I wish I was so consumed with another team, that every thread brought up, I needed to have an agenda to sell ppl on.

They have a special purpose. I don't have a special purpose. :(

Reactions: RipThru and jhmossy
I also don’t see UNC, Kansas, Duke, Villanova, or UVA fans starting threads about how their coaches can develop talent.
OK fair enough, but we do see all those fans creating some threads selling their teams. Not long ago was a UNC fan creating a thread about landing another 5* recruit. Shit we can go back to basically everyone. Ever start a thread celebrating UVA?

But, you're right, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning the coaches you said developing talent. I can't recall anyone ever talking about their developmental skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhmossy
It was clearly bait, I'm surprised how many took it.

We know the usual suspects who will come out if Calipari/UK is brought up. It never fails.It's all in fun though. I'm a little jealous. I wish I was so consumed with another team, that every thread brought up, I needed to have an agenda to sell ppl on.

They have a special purpose. I don't have a special purpose. :(

I know it was bait Lurk. So was my original post in this thread lol

OK fair enough, but we do see all those fans creating some threads selling their teams. Not long ago was a UNC fan creating a thread about landing another 5* recruit. Shit we can go back to basically everyone. Ever start a thread celebrating UVA?

But, you're right, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning the coaches you said developing talent. I can't recall anyone ever talking about their developmental skills.

Probably because their development skills speak for themselves and their fans don't need to incessantly attempt to sell it to every other fanbase.

Reactions: anon_65nwv98c2idwc
I feel like when someone makes a crazy thread people should be expected to respond accordingly. It has mainly been that here.

Also, the championship or bust mentality is silly but it has long been UK fans who have promoted it way more than anyone else.

You know who else has 1 championship in as many years coaching?

Bill Self (cheating couldn't help him)
Jim Boeheim
Tom Izzo
Bob Huggins
Mark Few

Basically every really good coach not named K, Roy or Wright.

And K has been by far the best recruiter the past 4 years hauling in 2-3 top 5 players per year and doesn't even have a FF to show for it, much less a championship.

I swear the groupthink on this board is incredible. The smartest posters get called idiots while some of the dumbest arguments ever posited get accepted as truth. If Rivals was a physical place it would put Jonestown to shame.

I feel like when someone makes a crazy thread people should be expected to respond accordingly. It has mainly been that here.

Also, the championship or bust mentality is silly but it has long been UK fans who have promoted it way more than anyone else.

o_O I could have swore it was a way to shit on Cal. Sure UK fans bring up titles, wins, win% basically every stat, but titles seem to be the angle ppl use against Cal.

I guess most fans are hypocrites.

Reactions: catman111

o_O I could have swore it was a way to shit on Cal.

It is definitely a bad way to look at success. Losing that last game sucks every time but that can’t be the only way to measure things. That is why I like hanging banners for accomplishments. Honor the kids who have played there.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Probably because their development skills speak for themselves and their fans don't need to incessantly attempt to sell it to every other fanbase.
I always find it funny how ppl take offense to UK fans talking about their team/accomplishments. They can't stand it. It's not just UK.Some UK fans cannot give UNC, Duke or other teams any credit at all.

Some posters/fans will notice other teams fans doing the same,but once a UK fan does it, they take offense. I'm sure you know some posters here that mainly respond to one fanbase more than anyone else.

Reactions: catman111

o_O I could have swore it was a way to shit on Cal. Sure UK fans bring up titles, wins, win% basically every stat, but titles seem to be the angle ppl use against Cal.

I guess most fans are hypocrites.

People use it against Cal for sure. Did against Roy for a while as well. I have never heard any fan base use the titles are all that matters mantra more than UK fans though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
People use it against Cal for sure. Did against Roy for a while as well. I have never heard any fan base use the titles are all that matters mantra more than UK fans though.
I guess they just stand out to you. Fair enough. Also note the amount of posters who are UK fans compared to other fanbases. I understand UK fans stand out more.

ADVERTISEMENT