ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Addresses Recruiting Trend

Considering the one and done rule will be ending soon I don’t think it’s an issue.

However, I do find it troubling that Cal wasn’t even in the top 4 for one of the nations elite players. I think that should be more concerning than anything else you just tried to convince yourself of.

And to the whole K mimicking Cal with the 1/done, sure. I guess you could look at it that way. K is a genius at adapting to the times. It’s remarkable.

However, the notion that Cal has originated this positionless Basketball notion is a complete lie. He in fact stole that from K.

K has been preaching that his players aren’t defined by number or positions for as far back as I can remember. Hell, Battier still talks about it to this day. But UK and their fans have this notion Cal came up with it. It’s not true BBN, K is the mastermind behind that one.

But Kentucky didn't create the OAD. In fact, they didn't have their first OAD until Cal came. Kentucky isn't the trendsetter, Cal is, since he was having OADs at Memphis. Also, K had a OAD in 1999 and 2004. So Cal followed K.
FWIW, Cal never claimed he invented it. Our friends the media pushed that narrative. Please see post 157.

I agree that the best form of flattery is imitation, which isn't a knock on Duke. K saw it is possible to succeed with OADs, and adopted. Now with 2 schools going after a few great talents, there will be ebb and flow to the trends of where they choose. As for not using the narrative of the state taking care of you when you're done, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all of our fans and haters' perspective. He's probably just not promising anything beyond their career, and really, why should he?

The state would gladly embrace these guys when the ball quits bouncing, but maybe he realizes that a young millionaire shouldn't need state support. Maybe he thinks they'd be unlikely to return to a slower-paced state after being n the spotlight, especially to a place they spent 9 months out of 28 years.. Who knows? I don't think that Calipari not using it automatically means he denies it. I see it more as his desire is to get these kids to the show, "break generational poverty instantly for their families", and then the rest plays out as it plays out. His role is complete.

I don't think K is a genius for using it, and I don't think Cal is an idiot for not. The OAD project is not yet complete. Cal isn't the dunce many portray him to be, and those 8 large/yr speak to that without a doubt, compared to what we Monday morning quarterbacks know.

He's promising them a quick path to the NBA. That's not always true. K is saying, yeah we can get you to the NBA, but you may have set backs that prevent you from playing in the NBA. What else can you do besides basketball? Let us show you what else is available just in case basketball is no longer an option.

Reactions: toonces11
He's promising them a quick path to the NBA. That's not always true. K is saying, yeah we can get you to the NBA, but you may have set backs that prevent you from playing in the NBA. What else can you do besides basketball? Let us show you what else is available just in case basketball is no longer an option.
Oh, I don't disagree with you. And it's a good advantage for the players.. I just think there's probably things that we're not privy to in actuality, so we're quick to make snap judgments. The media requires a savior and a villain for job security. We only know what they want us to know.

If I knew how to remedy or improve things on that scene, I'd have to be an idiot for staying in my current vocation.

Reactions: Quavarius
Set for life doesn't mean you come to Duke and everything will be given to you. Heck, you don't get your jersey retired at Duke unless you meet certain standards that are unique to other schools. So, you have more opportunities and connections at Duke compared to other programs but you have to put in the work as well. Former players are always coming back to Duke and with K being there 40 years, he's created his family (The Brotherhood). That's another built in advantage that he has that Cal doesn't. Former players are on staff and are not assistant coaches with no connections to the program.

Ok I'm going to be serious and write a long post.

Initially I was somewhat concerned about Zion going to Duke. It does suck in the short view.

However, taking a step back, it's validation of Calipari and another example of Kentucky being the trendsetter of college basketball. While jabbing at Duke for emulating Calipari, it's also a tip of the hat to his system.

Secondly, in terms of "taking care of players", what Calipari is saying is 1) Duke is lying and 2) it's an incredible disservice to a recruit to claim they'll be taken care of for life by going to a school. It's the insinuation that because Duke has a good academic reputation that it's alumni are powerful and will take care of players that Calipari is calling out. And he should. Because that is bullshit.

Thirdly, in my opinion Calipari has been backing away from the 100% embrace of one and dones over the past few years. The system has also led to inconsistencies in our roster year over year. Duke is going to have the same issues because the rate of bringing in high caliber super players is not sustainable and is also subject to the talent in the recruiting pool.

So, Duke will have a good team next year most like (even that is not assured). But it's going to bust too. My advice to Duke fans is to enjoy it while it's there.

I don't totally get what you mean by it being a validation of Cal...? K has always recruited the top guys. Always. I remember the Randolph/Burgess/Brand/Battier recruitment... the Barnes recruitment... the Sean Livingston recruitment... the Kris Humphries recruitment... Duke has consistently gone after the top kids. But something HAS changed in that Duke is landing more of these kids. Maybe a change in the pitch? Maybe an increase of marketing through social media and the like? No idea... I don't think we are privy to recruiting to the degree we'd need to be to really understand that element of it.

Duke is lying? Eh, I don't know about that. If you go to Duke and unpack your packs and get what you can from it, you SHOULD be set for life. That isn't a lie. Sure, you have to put in the work and time, but no kidding; everybody knows that. I doubt that Coach K, a guy who is ALL about hard work, is seriously telling recruits "Oh, you never have to work again, you'll be taken care of." That's just stupid wishful thinking based on a single sentence from a recruit who went elsewhere as interpreted by rival fans anxious for a stone to throw. But yes, if you go to Duke, and you take advantage of all that Duke has to offer and use that well, you ARE basically set for life, assuming you put in the work... and I'd imagine that's true of the basketball players as much as it is for the regular students.

I don't think Cal has changed his recruiting or philosophy that much, just as I don't think K has made major changes to his recruiting. Cal was all in on Barrett and Zion. They just went elsewhere. If two 17 year old kids had picked UK instead of Duke, would you then say "Nevermind, Cal is just doing what he normally does!" Fans are just too quick to jump to these conclusions, and certain members of the media feed into it as well because they need to write stories. That doesn't make it true.

I think we CAN rest assured that Duke will have a good team next year. Win a title? Odds are DEFINITELY not. Can depending on freshmen go badly? Sure; just look (in part) at last years Duke team (although I think that was more about injuries than anything, although older guys would have had the chemistry to get through it better.) No kidding. Teams of older kids can suck; teams with younger kids can suck. None of this is some new shocking piece of information to Duke fans.

Oh, I don't disagree with you. And it's a good advantage for the players.. I just think there's probably things that we're not privy to in actuality, so we're quick to make snap judgments. The media requires a savior and a villain for job security. We only know what they want us to know.

If I knew how to remedy or improve things on that scene, I'd have to be an idiot for staying in my current vocation.

No, we're not privy to everything that's said to recruits. That's why I don't understand how some UK fans know for sure that K/Capel are negatively recruiting against Cal/Kentucky. Other programs have beat UK/Cal for recruits, but when it comes to Duke, it has to be negatively recruiting. Then, it turns into K/Capel are promising these kids the world. Not saying anything negative about Cal or Kentucky, but what Duke can do for the recruit. So yeah, we aren't privy to everything that's said on the recruiting trail, which is why it's so facinating to know how UK fans know exactly what's being said to every recruit. Telling recruits you'll be set for life with the vast opportunities Duke offers isn't negatively recruiting against Kentucky; just like Cal telling kids he can get them to the pros quicker than anyone else isn't negatively recruiting against Duke.

Telling recruits you'll be set for life with the vast opportunities Duke offers isn't negatively recruiting against Kentucky; just like Cal telling kids he can get them to the pros quicker than anyone else isn't negatively recruiting against Duke.
I think the irritation all stems from Capel's tweet a couple of seasons ago aimed at Cal or UK (or somebody associated with the program) over a recruit choosing Duke (Bolden?) and quickly removed it. I think many decided at that moment that Capel (Duke, therefor K?) wanted to make it personal.

Reactions: treyforuk
No, we're not privy to everything that's said to recruits. That's why I don't understand how some UK fans know for sure that K/Capel are negatively recruiting against Cal/Kentucky. Other programs have beat UK/Cal for recruits, but when it comes to Duke, it has to be negatively recruiting. Then, it turns into K/Capel are promising these kids the world. Not saying anything negative about Cal or Kentucky, but what Duke can do for the recruit. So yeah, we aren't privy to everything that's said on the recruiting trail, which is why it's so facinating to know how UK fans know exactly what's being said to every recruit. Telling recruits you'll be set for life with the vast opportunities Duke offers isn't negatively recruiting against Kentucky; just like Cal telling kids he can get them to the pros quicker than anyone else isn't negatively recruiting against Duke.

Yeah, I've always been amazed how some nonsense can get repeated so often that it gets accepted as fact. The whole "Capel negatively recruits against UK" thing just blows me away... I've never seen anything, ever, that shows that, and yet it is accepted as gospel by some.

It's like the whole "The kid wanted to go to UK but their parent made them go to Duke" thing that is accepted as 100 percent fact by so many UK fans. It's just random made up stuff based off of, like, a single innocuous comment, like a parent saying "I like what Duke has to offer."

I genuinely do not think there is anything like that that I believe about any other program and their recruiting beyond what the coaches themselves have said.

I think the irritation all stems from Capel's tweet a couple of seasons ago aimed at Cal or UK (or somebody associated with the program) over a recruit choosing Duke (Bolden?) and quickly removed it. I think many decided at that moment that Capel (Duke, therefor K?) wanted to make it personal.

I don't remember Capel's tweet. I know one of the Duke Twitter handles tweeted a pic of the fishing emoji poking fun at Cal about teaching people how to fish and they will eat for life. I think that was removed. But that was in response to Cal's blog when he came at Duke first and then backtracked like he did this week.

Yeah, I've always been amazed how some nonsense can get repeated so often that it gets accepted as fact. The whole "Capel negatively recruits against UK" thing just blows me away... I've never seen anything, ever, that shows that, and yet it is accepted as gospel by some.

It's like the whole "The kid wanted to go to UK but their parent made them go to Duke" thing that is accepted as 100 percent fact by so many UK fans. It's just random made up stuff based off of, like, a single innocuous comment, like a parent saying "I like what Duke has to offer."

I genuinely do not think there is anything like that that I believe about any other program and their recruiting beyond what the coaches themselves have said.

Matt Jones has brainwashed a lot of BBN into believing Capel is always talking trash on UK as well as the parents narrative. In reality, that guy doesn’t have a damn clue about anything regarding recruiting. He’s terrible.

I don't remember Capel's tweet. I know one of the Duke Twitter handles tweeted a pic of the fishing emoji poking fun at Cal about teaching people how to fish and they will eat for life. I think that was removed. But that was in response to Cal's blog when he came at Duke first and then backtracked like he did this week.
Yeah, that was the one. Some fans get a liiittllee too emotionally invested. It all keeps it fun though. Realistically why should any of us take what happens between he two personally anyway?

K is just too smart that he not only tricks the kids, but he has to ability to trick adults as well. Fascinating.

Yeah, that was the one. Some fans get a liiittllee too emotionally invested. It all keeps it fun though. Realistically why should any of us take what happens between he two personally anyway?

A little? Wishing death on K and hoping players get injured is more that little too emotionally invested.

I don't mind spirited ribbings, but some of them cross the line on MANY occasions. It's just basketball.

It is ironic that everything outside of several conference titles and several FF's, Duke's winning is tied to K. He is Duke's living, breathing history regarding championships and modern basketball. Other fans like to use that as a knock against Duke when it comes to all-time stats, but flashing those 5 rings and the culture he's help create at Duke is a huge weapon whereas Cal can only sell his brief time at UK because he knows he's going up against the ghost of Rupp and the times of Joe B. Hall and Pitino. It certainly makes Kentucky a huge weapon, but Cal can't take that much credit for all of Kentucky's success. It's like Cal isn't connected to the past of Kentucky. Again, not saying recruits care about the history of Kentucky, but I would use that and the passionate fan base to my advantage.

I don't get the notion about K being late on the scene for OADs. He has literally been recruiting the most elite talent in the country for 3 decades. Kids don't stay in school as long as they used to (there is a laundry list of guys on his resume that in today's age might not stay more than a year or two - Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, etc.), but he has always actively recruited the best players. People opinion's might be skewed because what was probably K's biggest recruiting lull happened to coincide with the first year's of the OAD rule. But he was "Roying" it then - he was going after those guys (Drummond, Monroe, Wall, etc.) but not getting them.

And if you interpret the "set for life" as anything more than him stating the reality that an affiliation, for however long, with Duke University is a good thing, then you aren't very smart. You can find the idea smug, but that doesn't make it untrue. If you were recruiting to a school like Duke, you would be an idiot not to use the quality of the university as a selling point. Going to Duke classes and being exposed to that environment for two semesters is a hell of a lot better than not at all (and Duke hasn't cornered the market there or anything - there are plenty of universities for whom that is true, including the one Duke will be playing on Saturday).

Wow a real shot storm going on in here. First off congrats on Zion. Capel is really paying off. You guys will be good next yr but this is your yr. next yr you got 3 guys that basically play the same position, to go with your prized center bolden. Good luck with that Gary Trent. My question is since capel did so great coaching last year and when k retires in 25 years does it scare the hell out of you? The guy can recruit but he's a proven failure as a coach. Before you make cracks about cals weight capel could use the treadmill himself
trumpwasphone-4MB.gif

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Wasn't Calipari cleared by the NCAA? That's all that matters right?

Isn’t it great how UNCheat fans use to scream how they didn’t care that Cal was cleared by the NCAA because they still knew he was dirty but now all the sudden that the NCAA cleared UNCheat they swear by it!RollLaugh

Isn’t it great how UNCheat fans use to scream how they didn’t care that Cal was cleared by the NCAA because they still knew he was dirty but now all the sudden that the NCAA cleared UNCheat they swear by it!RollLaugh

You beat me to it......was about to say the same thing. And in this case, "cleared" = getting off on a technicality even though everyone (inlcuding UNC fans) knew they were guilty.

I have said this several times about the UNC scandal.... the most embarrassing part is the UNC fans CELEBRATING that they got away with cheating for so long.

Damn, there you go again. This thread has nothing to do with UNC.Eyeroll

Reactions: uncfan in ky
You beat me to it......was about to say the same thing. And in this case, "cleared" = getting off on a technicality even though everyone (inlcuding UNC fans) knew they were guilty.

I have said this several times about the UNC scandal.... the most embarrassing part is the UNC fans CELEBRATING that they got away with cheating for so long.

Embarrassing to you, not to us and your opinion doesn’t matter.

Because the NCAA said so.
we've been down this road 1,000 times or more, no need for another pissing contest. NCAA cleared you on a technicality, they didn't say UNC is innocent they just said they were cheating but found a loophole to fool both SACs and the NCAA. Bravo, well played UNC, but the NCAA never said you were innocent.

we've been down this road 1,000 times or more, no need for another pissing contest. NCAA cleared you on a technicality, they didn't say UNC is innocent they just said they were cheating but found a loophole to fool both SACs and the NCAA. Bravo, well played UNC, but the NCAA never said you were innocent.
While the NCAA didn’t say UNC was Innocent, they also never said that UNC was cheating but got off on a loophole.

Reactions: AWilli6995
ADVERTISEMENT