ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Addresses Recruiting Trend

So the tantrums only occur every other moment of the day? This is good. I like the progress. We can work with this.
I’ve got to go throw Batting practice to my son. I’ll be a good pimp & let my bitch have the last word.
Have at it.

I’ve got to go throw Batting practice to my son. I’ll be a good pimp & let my bitch have the last word.
Have at it.

tenor.gif

Cal taking the "set for life" waaaaaaay out of context. It has obviously hit a nerve. FTR, I see not a thing wrong with "selling" a kid on that. Where is the harm? It is no different than Cal pointing to all his draft picks, when "selling " a kid to come to UK.

Point is----Kids who go to Duke, UK, IU, etc, etc....gain certain advantages. You are forever tied in with a huge, huge fraternity, so to speak. It opens up many doors that wouldn't be an option say had you gone to another school. If basketball doesn't work out, then having that UK, IU, Duke, UNC, "connection" will certainly help you. And help you a lot.

That^^^^^is how I interpreted Duke's comment of, "Come here and you'll be set for life".

JMO.

Cal taking the "set for life" waaaaaaay out of context. It has obviously hit a nerve. FTR, I see not a thing wrong with "selling" a kid on that. Where is the harm? It is no different than Cal pointing to all his draft picks, when "selling " a kid to come to UK.

Point is----Kids who go to Duke, UK, IU, etc, etc....gain certain advantages. You are forever tied in with a huge, huge fraternity, so to speak. It opens up many doors that wouldn't be an option say had you gone to another school. If basketball doesn't work out, then having that UK, IU, Duke, UNC, "connection" will certainly help you. And help you a lot.

That^^^^^is how I interpreted Duke's comment of, "Come here and you'll be set for life".

JMO.

Most secure individuals see it that way as well.

Duke has its advantages. Kentucky has advantages. Kansas has advantages. IU, UNC, UCLA. All of the top schools sell on their strengths. Why wouldn't you?

I think Cal is looking for a distraction. Cal read RR and saw that the fans were mad at him. He has to throw the heat off of him.

Also, per Zion, UK wasn't even in his top 4. So this wasn't a Duke vs. UK battle.

RollLaugh

Yeah they're really setting the world on fire, Borden
Being a UK fan, I totally expected you to look at this from solely a basketball standpoint. SO I'll help you out. I'm talking about not only basketbal, but opportunities outside of basketball, i.e. buisness ventures, radio, coaching, etc, etc....A ton of former IU playes who weren't able to continue their careers in the NBA, etc, etc...have gone onto to have very, very successful careers in other areas. And having that "IU connection" certainly plays a big role. Same with former UK players. Duke, UNC, etc, etc...Being a part of that type of program, who have the reach they do, is a huge advantage to have.

But like I said------Being a UK'er, I totally expected you to only affiliate my comment with basketball. After all, Draft Night is now King of the Bluegrass.

Most secure individuals see it that way as well.

Duke has its advantages. Kentucky has advantages. Kansas has advantages. IU, UNC, UCLA. All of the top schools sell on their strengths. Why wouldn't you?

I think Cal is looking for a distraction. Cal read RR and saw that the fans were mad at him. He has to throw the heat off of him.

Also, per Zion, UK wasn't even in his top 4. So this wasn't a Duke vs. UK battle.
No reason not to. If you don't---you're not doing your job.

I don’t sell, like, ‘When you come here, the university and the state will take care of you the rest of your life,’ ” he said. “You may buy that, and I’ve got some great property in some swampland down in Florida to sell you, too.”

Perfect example of Cal taking the comment of "Come to Duke and you'll be set for life", waaaaaaaay out of context. Look, had Cal said this, and this were K calling out those comments.........Seesh. He'd(Cal) would be saying the same thing I am saying.

By saying set for life, I'm implying by coming here, you will gain opportunities that not many other schools can offer.

Guarantee you that would be his reply. Or something along those lines.

Nowhere did Gabriel say Duke would take care of him(for the rest of his life). So why is it Cal is trying to push it as they did? IDK. Maybe b/c K and Duke is whooping his ass in recruiting? Possibly, huh?

Jesus.

I don’t sell, like, ‘When you come here, the university and the state will take care of you the rest of your life,’ ” he said.

Well, ummm, maybe you should. I mean why would you NOT sell the state, the connections and the program? By not doing so is what I think is hurting him. Why not sell what the program and the connections that go along with that program, can do for you in life?

I don’t sell, like, ‘When you come here, the university and the state will take care of you the rest of your life,’ ” he said. “You may buy that, and I’ve got some great property in some swampland down in Florida to sell you, too.”

Perfect example of Cal taking the comment of "Come to Duke and you'll be set for life", waaaaaaaay out of context. Look, had Cal said this, and this were K calling out those comments.........Seesh. He'd(Cal) would be saying the same thing I am saying.

By saying set for life, I'm implying by coming here, you will gain opportunities that not many other schools can offer.

Guarantee you that would be his reply. Or something along those lines.

Nowhere did Gabriel say Duke would take care of him(for the rest of his life). So why is it Cal is trying to push it as they did? IDK. Maybe b/c K and Duke is whooping his ass in recruiting? Possibly, huh?

Jesus.
Gabriel? Lance Thomas knows what's up. SmokinSmile

Jesus.
Hamidou Diallo said that's exactly what Duke pitched to him.

Being a UK fan, I totally expected you to look at this from solely a basketball standpoint. SO I'll help you out. I'm talking about not only basketbal, but opportunities outside of basketball, i.e. buisness ventures, radio, coaching, etc, etc....A ton of former IU playes who weren't able to continue their careers in the NBA, etc, etc...have gone onto to have very, very successful careers in other areas. And having that "IU connection" certainly plays a big role. Same with former UK players. Duke, UNC, etc, etc...Being a part of that type of program, who have the reach they do, is a huge advantage to have.

But like I said------Being a UK'er, I totally expected you to only affiliate my comment with basketball. After all, Draft Night is now King of the Bluegrass.
You listed the 2 biggest brands in the sport currently, and then shamelessly plugged IU into the same recruiting discussion. It was funny.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
You listed the 2 biggest brands in the sport currently, and then shamelessly plugged IU into the same recruiting discussion. It was funny.
What is funny is you still don't get why I included IU. If you don't think IU's "brand" helps former players, then I dunno what to tell ya, brother.

Hamidou Diallo said that's exactly what Duke pitched to him.
No. He said-------"Duke said i would be set for life". He never said he was told "Duke would take care of me". There is a difference. But your not going to see that.

It's such a strange comment, anyway... the state? The state of North Carolina is going to hook up Duke players? Most Duke players don't stay in NC, and frankly our best connections are likely outside of NC. Maybe Cal should sell the state of Kentucky? I suppose not many former players stay in KY either.

Reactions: Quavarius
What'd you guys expect. Cal is the excuse machine. He blames youth way too much when that's his own doing and something that can be changed. Im sure you'll see 3-5 or more leave this year whether they are ready or not. That's what he sells the program on. Seems to me like he should've not come out publicly and said something about it. Makes him look like he's conceded and/or reaching for something that's not there. Some Uk fans are tired of his system. And TBH, it's only gonna get worse with him not being able to get the top dogs.

Knox, Diallo, Alexander, Vanderbilt - Gone
Gabriel - Wanted to leave last year so probably gone
Washington 50/50 - Sees an opportunity, probably gone

You've got to remember that he has sold Uk's program as a players first, draft night program. These kids may not be showing it on the court, but all were very highly rated. So they see themselves leaving after 1-2 years bc that's what Cal sold them on, whether they look like they should leave or not.

Just like Humphries leaving last year. If he had stayed he wouldnt see the court at all, but SHOULD he? He'd probably be their best big man right now. But, with Cal's system, he saw that no matter what, Richards, Washington, whoever would get most of the minutes solely because of potential.

And until he sells a different pitch, that's not going to change. Some thought Briscoe, Humphries, whoever would stay another year. They don't see themselves doing that and they never did because of the recruiting pitch. It's the same with these kids this year. Any Uk player who has potential is probably gone.

Some thought Briscoe, Humphries, whoever would stay another year. They don't see themselves doing that and they never did because of the recruiting pitch. It's the same with these kids this year. Any Uk player who has potential is probably gone.

I'm not commenting on all the opinions in your post, because it silly to debate opinions, but no one thought Briscoe was coming back. He decided before the fall semester even started he was leaving.

Pretty piss poor display of integrity and class from Cal. Didn’t the Courier Journal Show him as a baby in a diaper a few years ago? I guess with stunts like the one he pulled, he is a big baby!

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT