ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Addresses Recruiting Trend

What a coward. Hahaha. Talking out both sides of his mouth. Duke is so deep in his brain Cal isn’t sure what to do.

K and Capel are ruining Cal on the trail and it’s giving him nightmares.

Be a man. Own it. Cal won’t though.

If his classes are ruined, then I'd hate to see what other schools think of their classes. Winking

Is there a more self righteous, entitled and completely lacking in self awareness group of people than college basketball coaches? The crap that comes out of their mouths on a regular basis is almost onion-esque.

From Tom Izzo talking about how the Larry Nasser trial has caused him to have a very hard week to Pitino's weekly trips down the Denial river to this whoa is me crap from Calipari, its like they are all in on some sick bet to see who can say the dumbest thing and they keep topping each other.

Is there a more self righteous, entitled and completely lacking in self awareness group of people than college basketball coaches? The crap that comes out of their mouths on a regular basis is almost onion-esque.

From Tom Izzo talking about how the Larry Nasser trial has caused him to have a very hard week to Pitino's weekly trips down the Denial river to this whoa is me crap from Calipari, its like they are all in on some sick bet to see who can say the dumbest thing and they keep topping each other.
Didn't Williams write something about a player in a book, and K denied saying something to an Oregon player in a post game conference, only to retract when he found out there was a video?

Yes, they all say and do some dumb stuff.

Reactions: treyforuk
Duke fans.. Duke fans...Duke fans

You can act like Kentucky but you will never be Kentucky. Duke is now the Carlos Mencia of college basketball.

Reactions: UNC71-00
What does that have to do w anything?

Look, I get it. You’re upset. And I would be too, if K walked into Roy’s house and left with his bread AND his butter.
Haha, You're silly. I just asked if Chaney won that game?

Getting flack for everything UK does is what comes with the territory of being #1 all time. I've been used to it for a long time and have learned to relish the attention.

BTW, how's the series going between Roy and K?

Huh?

The only stat K leads Cal in?

*does a quick google*

K leads Cal in overall # of wins, wins at a single school, conference tournament titles, regular season conference titles, # of weeks at #1 in the country, Final Fours, title games reached, gold medals... oh, and national titles, by like 500%.

Cal leads K in number of Final Fours vacated.

Facts are fun.

Oh no, don’t bring up those Final Fours. That’s a touchy subject for some of them.

Ive never met a Duke fan... EVER... who would trade places with Kentucky. Ever. Certainly not an alumni.
Just making conversation, but why would anyone wish they were a fan of another school? Couldn't they just become a fan of another school?

I think it would be fair to wish the school they cheer for eventually gets the stats another school has. I hope one day we reach UCLA in titles. Doesn't mean I'd trade places with their fans. That's silly.

This thread is great, but I wish it was some of the RR boners going back and forth with everyone else b/c lurker is actually a reasonable poster.

Duke fans.. Duke fans...Duke fans

You can act like Kentucky but you will never be Kentucky. Duke is now the Carlos Mencia of college basketball.
I have no desire for Duke to be anything like Kentucky. Kentucky has great history and is especially great for fans who are in their 80's and 90's that enjoyed the meat of Kentucky's success. But I am just fine being a Duke fan. The only thing the two have in common is the current OAD era where Duke has leapfrogged ahead of Kentucky on the recruiting end, so no need to be like Kentucky there.

Reactions: tw3301
I have no desire for Duke to be anything like Kentucky. Kentucky has great history and is especially great for fans who are in their 80's and 90's that enjoyed the meat of Kentucky's success. But I am just fine being a Duke fan. The only thing the two have in common is the current OAD era where Duke has leapfrogged ahead of Kentucky on the recruiting end, so no need to be like Kentucky there.

You're welcome on turning Duke on to the multiple OAD era. It was genius of K to let someone else do it, take all the backlash, and then improve upon it to where it's now ok.

This thread is great, but I wish it was some of the RR boners going back and forth with everyone else b/c lurker is actually a reasonable poster.

Yeah, that would be more fun.
There's a way to make that happen, but once you lift the lid it may never go back to the way it once was.

Just let me know.

images

Reactions: tw3301 and TheDude1
You're welcome on turning Duke on to the multiple OAD era. It was genius of K to let someone else do it, take all the backlash, and then improve upon it to where it's now ok.
If I am being honest. I am about over the OAD era. It is fun during the offseason and it's always nice to see Duke get top guys. But I am getting tired of the 40-0, championship or bust and how does a team with this many five stars lose to Boston College talk.

But either way K >>>>>> Calapari.

If I am being honest. I am about over the OAD era. It is fun during the offseason and it's always nice to see Duke get top guys. But I am getting tired of the 40-0, championship or bust and how does a team with this many five stars lose to Boston College talk.

But either way K >>>>>> Calapari.
The Championship or bust talk does get old. I get why some fans use it as a way to tear down great teams and I get how expectations from homers get way out of control, but MM is such a crap shoot.

The two latest teams that have went undefeated during the regular seasons are not remember for all the games they won and how great of a run/season it was, but only the last game which ended in a loss.

BTW, Shouldn't it only be 4 >'s?

Mencia fans...

If you don't want to be like Kentucky then don't try acting like Kentucky

Unfortunately, the scroll clearly states that those who desire the act - @toonces11 , @TheDude1 - must give the order.

I'll only need a slight nod . . .

tenor.gif

So it's great in theory, but not something they want to deal with in reality.

@toonces11 @TheDude1

"I want to say we'd deal with them, but not really"

"I really meant, I want others to deal with them but not me"

UK fans are the beast. Some don't want to deal with them. They'd rather visit RR and never engage. It's easy to mock from afar.

"We'll stay over here and make fun"

Last edited:
Reactions: KYtotheCore
Anybody that thinks Cal doesn’t “sell” UK to recruits only needs to listen to one of his speeches during BBM. He’s so butthurt at K he can’t see straight.

Does it not embarrass you that everyone can see you have a hard on for UK and Cal? Talk about rent free!Laughing

Last edited:
Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Wow a real shot storm going on in here. First off congrats on Zion. Capel is really paying off. You guys will be good next yr but this is your yr. next yr you got 3 guys that basically play the same position, to go with your prized center bolden. Good luck with that Gary Trent. My question is since capel did so great coaching last year and when k retires in 25 years does it scare the hell out of you? The guy can recruit but he's a proven failure as a coach. Before you make cracks about cals weight capel could use the treadmill himself

[
Wow a real shot storm going on in here. First off congrats on Zion. Capel is really paying off. You guys will be good next yr but this is your yr. next yr you got 3 guys that basically play the same position, to go with your prized center bolden. Good luck with that Gary Trent. My question is since capel did so great coaching last year and when k retires in 25 years does it scare the hell out of you? The guy can recruit but he's a proven failure as a coach. Before you make cracks about cals weight capel could use the treadmill himself

Could a post be any more passive aggressive?

"Paying off." Good one.

Yes, three guys who play "basically the same position..." That position being the 2-3-4?

"Prized center." Well, Cal certainly prized him. So did you guys, judging by the million posts.

Gary Trent will likely be in the league.

No, we don't care that K is going to retire. Not even worried a bit. F that guy.

Proven failure. Yeah.

And I don't remember planning to make cracks about Cals weight. I think you made that up to try to take a shot at Capel, because you guys seem obsessed with checking out his body. I guess that's easier than facing the fact that he is going balls deep in Kentuckys recruiting.

Good post. I DO miss you over on DI, though, W2B;)

So it's great in theory, but not something they want to deal with in reality.

@toonces11 @TheDude1

"I want to say we'd deal with them, but not really"

"I really meant, I want others to deal with them but not me"

UK fans are the beast. Some don't want to deal with them. They'd rather visit RR and never engage. It's easy to mock from afar.

"We'll stay over here and make fun"

Uhh... I have more posts at Rafters than I have here. Unfortunately someone got a bit thin skinned and I got banned for making fun of Jay Bilas. Yes, a Duke fan got banned for mocking a Duke grad and player on a U.K. forum. Go figure. In some ways a shame... I enjoyed some of the better posters and stuff there (BKO, JPScotts history lessons, BrianPoes excellent wife, TheOtherDude84, and of course the Charlie Manson of message boards, Willy4UK.). Personally I welcome more posters... but I think the majority of people are worried random noise clogging up the board.

Last edited:
K/Duke living rent free in Cal's head.
Extreme butt hurt. I really don't think he thought there was a chance other coaches would be willing to adopt his one and done recruiting philosophy. It's seemingly caught him off guard. And he can't quite figure out a counter. I'm sure it's frustrating.

He makes 8 large a year to figure it out though. So hard to feel sorry for him.

Extreme butt hurt. I really don't think he thought there was a chance other coaches would be willing to adopt his one and done recruiting philosophy. It's seemingly caught him off guard. And he can't quite figure out a counter. I'm sure it's frustrating.

He makes 8 large a year to figure it out though. So hard to feel sorry for him.

Exactly. Also, he stated that the program and the state won't take care of you. I have a lot of disagreements with a lot of Kentucky fans, but one thing I won't say is the state/school won't take care of you after you've done playing. UK fans obsess over former players and stick up for them no matter what. Your history and passion is unmatched. Why wouldn't he use that in his recruiting pitch? He has access to a wealth of history to use on the recruiting trail. Not saying recruits care about what happened in the 30's, but he would be a fool to not use the built in advantages the program and state offer when it comes to basketball. He can't get mad if Duke is selling it's built in advantages to recruits and it's resonating with recruits.

I feel he has to sell more than NBA. There are a lot of elite recruits who aren't hurting for money and aren't looking for a quick pay day.

Cal has to adjust. He also may want to tone down some of the arrogance and humble himself. It seem like after the 30 for 30, things haven't been going right on the recruiting trail and Sandy Bell isn't going to allow him to break any NCAA rules.

But trust me I get it. K was used to getting whoever he wanted at one point and then Cal came onto the scene. K didn't bash Cal or his style. He just adapted. Cal can do the same because OAD will probably be done very soon anyway.

Ok I'm going to be serious and write a long post.

Initially I was somewhat concerned about Zion going to Duke. It does suck in the short view.

However, taking a step back, it's validation of Calipari and another example of Kentucky being the trendsetter of college basketball. While jabbing at Duke for emulating Calipari, it's also a tip of the hat to his system.

Secondly, in terms of "taking care of players", what Calipari is saying is 1) Duke is lying and 2) it's an incredible disservice to a recruit to claim they'll be taken care of for life by going to a school. It's the insinuation that because Duke has a good academic reputation that it's alumni are powerful and will take care of players that Calipari is calling out. And he should. Because that is bullshit.

Thirdly, in my opinion Calipari has been backing away from the 100% embrace of one and dones over the past few years. The system has also led to inconsistencies in our roster year over year. Duke is going to have the same issues because the rate of bringing in high caliber super players is not sustainable and is also subject to the talent in the recruiting pool.

So, Duke will have a good team next year most like (even that is not assured). But it's going to bust too. My advice to Duke fans is to enjoy it while it's there.

Initially I was somewhat concerned about Zion going to Duke. It does suck in the short view.

However, taking a step back, it's validation of Calipari and another example of Kentucky being the trendsetter of college basketball. While jabbing at Duke for emulating Calipari, it's also a tip of the hat to his system.

Secondly, in terms of "taking care of players", what Calipari is saying is 1) Duke is lying and 2) it's an incredible disservice to a recruit to claim they'll be taken care of for life by going to a school. It's the insinuation that because Duke has a good academic reputation that it's alumni are powerful and will take care of players that Calipari is calling out. And he should. Because that is bullshit.

Thirdly, in my opinion Calipari has been backing away from the 100% embrace of one and dones over the past few years. The system has also led to inconsistencies in our roster year over year. Duke is going to have the same issues because the rate of bringing in high caliber super players is not sustainable and is also subject to the talent in the recruiting pool.

So, Duke will have a good team next year most like (even that is not assured). But it's going to bust too. My advice to Duke fans is to enjoy it while it's there.
I agree that the best form of flattery is imitation, which isn't a knock on Duke. K saw it is possible to succeed with OADs, and adopted. Now with 2 schools going after a few great talents, there will be ebb and flow to the trends of where they choose. As for not using the narrative of the state taking care of you when you're done, I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of all of our fans and haters' perspective. He's probably just not promising anything beyond their career, and really, why should he?

The state would gladly embrace these guys when the ball quits bouncing, but maybe he realizes that a young millionaire shouldn't need state support. Maybe he thinks they'd be unlikely to return to a slower-paced state after being in the spotlight, especially to a place they spent 9 months out of 28 years.. Who knows? I don't think that Calipari not using it automatically means he denies it. I see it more as his desire is to get these kids to the show, "break generational poverty instantly for their families", and then the rest plays out as it plays out. His role is complete.

I don't think K is a genius for using it, and I don't think Cal is an idiot for not. The OAD project is not yet complete. Cal isn't the dunce many portray him to be, and those 8 large/yr speak to that without a doubt, compared to what we Monday morning quarterbacks know and earn.

Last edited:

Considering the one and done rule will be ending soon I don’t think it’s an issue.

However, I do find it troubling that Cal wasn’t even in the top 4 for one of the nations elite players. I think that should be more concerning than anything else you just tried to convince yourself of.

Reactions: Quavarius
And to the whole K mimicking Cal with the 1/done, sure. I guess you could look at it that way. K is a genius at adapting to the times. It’s remarkable.

However, the notion that Cal has originated this positionless Basketball notion is a complete lie. He in fact stole that from K.

K has been preaching that his players aren’t defined by number or positions for as far back as I can remember. Hell, Battier still talks about it to this day. But UK and their fans have this notion Cal came up with it. It’s not true BBN, K is the mastermind behind that one.

But Kentucky didn't create the OAD. In fact, they didn't have their first OAD until Cal came. Kentucky isn't the trendsetter, Cal is, since he was having OADs at Memphis. Also, K had a OAD in 1999 and 2004. So Cal followed K.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
ADVERTISEMENT