ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout Small Forwards this upcoming season (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)

UL_1986

Sep 13, 2018
Discuss.

Homer pick: Sam Williamson, I think he’s gonna have a breakout year.

Baylor's Matthew Mayer is primed.
He's got a nice amount of talent around him, no excuses damnit..

Reactions: UL_1986
Since Wendell Moore is listed as SF, I am going with him. He got shit on last year for some reason. I thought he had a solid year.

Homer pick of course.

Ill go anti homer and say obi toppin (assuming he plays the 3 with brooks and O at the 4/5)

I thought he was UKs second best player last year behind jackson, and hes obv got some good genetics. Plus he has the ability to make tough shots. If he improves from 3, the sky is the limit imo.

But idk who is even gonna play the 3 for them tbh. Toppin is prolly more of a 4 but they got like 4-5 pfs and 2-4 SGs and no true sf imo. But not like its that big of a stretch for either a 2 or a 4 to play some at the 3. And UKs so deep it might be hard for him to be a “breakout” player from a stats perspective.

I am also very excited to see if sam can take that next step on offense to give us someone that can go get a bucket when we need one. Also excited to see cross play, didnt watch much of miami when he was still there last year to see what kind of player he is. And i hope to goodness we find somewhere to get dre davis some mins as well. Love his poise and toughness.

Mayer is more of a 4. His defensive game needs to improve.
Vidal was as important as any player at times. They switched off.
Baylor likes 3 guards.

Mayer was energy off the bench. Everyone has energy to begin the game. Two different things. But even without that energy he is a very efficient offensive player. Automatically improves that team. Just matters if the guards can take advantage of the space.

Ill go anti homer and say obi toppin (assuming he plays the 3 with brooks and O at the 4/5)

I thought he was UKs second best player last year behind jackson, and hes obv got some good genetics. Plus he has the ability to make tough shots. If he improves from 3, the sky is the limit imo.

But idk who is even gonna play the 3 for them tbh. Toppin is prolly more of a 4 but they got like 4-5 pfs and 2-4 SGs and no true sf imo. But not like its that big of a stretch for either a 2 or a 4 to play some at the 3. And UKs so deep it might be hard for him to be a “breakout” player from a stats perspective.

I am also very excited to see if sam can take that next step on offense to give us someone that can go get a bucket when we need one. Also excited to see cross play, didnt watch much of miami when he was still there last year to see what kind of player he is. And i hope to goodness we find somewhere to get dre davis some mins as well. Love his poise and toughness.
The toppin kid is definitely a good get for the cats. Kid played hard, and has nice mobility and a decent stroke. Good call.

Reactions: JC for 3
There's going to be a lot of shooters on the team this year, so a breakout year might hard to judge. Brooks and Toppin are both going to be solid this year. Brooks was injured for much of last year, and I've heard is looking really good so far. Toppin has been working his butt off and is becoming more alpha. I expect both to have solid good years, which would be a break out of sorts I guess.

And both are interchangeable at the 3-4.

Keon Ellis has a chance to show out this year at Bama. He was a Juco transfer last year and really played well in 2nd half of the season. I think he is a Herb Jones type defensive player.

• Haha
Reactions: olsonab
Fill me in, I haven’t followed this recruiting class very closely yet.

Caleb Houstan. 5* top 10 prospect. Should really help with the losses we had from Wagner/Livers. Doesn’t have elite athleticism but above average for this level. Most scouting reports have him as one of the best shooters in the class. Will see if it translates.

Kellen Grady will be at the 3.

Reactions: Villian07
Most obvious answer is Colorado's Jabari Walker. He'll easily lead the team in scoring; and he could very well lead the Pac-12 in scoring. Just not sure how good CU will be after losing 5 of their top 7 scorers + Mason Faulkner (reneged on his transfer commitment).

I think Arizona's Bennedict Mathurin is a relatively safe bet for 1st Team All-Conference. Good enough to contend for All-American honors.

I believe Tennessee's Justin Powell will see most of his minutes at the 3 position. He has the skillset to be a star. Great shooter and passer. Quality rebounder. Not an elite athlete, and might need to tighten his handle a bit, but I believe he'll be incredibly productive next season.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

Random list

Yikes. This guy needs to completely re-do his list.

Joe Wieskamp was drafted. He talks about Jermaine Samuels playing alongside Saddiq Bey, a wing who is already in the NBA. And Samuels plays the majority of his minutes at the 4 position. As do Matthew Meyer, Jalen Wilson, and Jaime Jaquez. Wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Baldwin sees most of his minutes at the 4, as well. Not a great list, IMO.

I'll probably do a poll once a week for each position. Here's who I'm currently considering for the SFs:

Armaan Franklin, Virginia (Clark at the 1, Beekman at the 2)
Anthony Polite, Florida State
AJ Griffin, Duke
Julian Champagne, St.John's
Terrence Shannon, Texas Tech
Timmy Allen, Texas
Taz Sherman, West Virginia
Kendall Brown, Baylor
Caleb Houstan, Michigan
Justice Sueing, Ohio State
Jonathan Davis, Wisconsin
Jules Bernard/Peyton Watson, UCLA (Juzang at the 2)
Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona
Drew Peterson, USC
Jabari Walker, Colorado
Kellan Grady, Kentucky
Stanley Umude, Arkansas
Justin Powell, Tennessee
Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
Landers Nolley, Memphis
Taevion Kinsey, Marshall
AJ Bramah, Nevada
Hunter Sallis, Gonzaga

Reactions: RichardMassive

Joe Wieskamp was drafted. He talks about Jermaine Samuels playing alongside Saddiq Bey, a wing who is already in the NBA. And Samuels plays the majority of his minutes at the 4 position. As do Matthew Meyer, Jalen Wilson, and Jaime Jaquez. Wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Baldwin sees most of his minutes at the 4, as well. Not a great list, IMO.

I'll probably do a poll once a week for each position. Here's who I'm currently considering for the SFs:

AJ Griffin, Duke
Timmy Allen, Texas
Kendall Brown, Baylor
Caleb Houstan, Michigan
Drew Peterson, USC
Jabari Walker, Colorado
Kellan Grady, Kentucky
Stanley Umude, Arkansas
Justin Powell, Tennessee
Landers Nolley, Memphis
Taevion Kinsey, Marshall
AJ Bramah, Nevada
Hunter Sallis, Gonzaga
That was probably an outdated list and my bad.

Your lists are better than links anyway looking forward to it.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Let me know if you guys think I'm missing anyone that needs to be considered for the top 10 SFs. I'm listing Boeheim as a SG, FWIW.

He won't improve his PPG but he will be on a bigger stage. I will say Umude for Ark

Timmy Allen is a scorer. Everything is to the basket
That mindset doesn’t exist that much anymore. Crazy thing is Beard promotes that
But Allen can’t shoot.
People like Huggins at WVU will play different zone defenses against Texas.

Guys like Jase Febres could be important in those games

We will see with Jaylon Tyson. Some are real high on him.
Learning a lot from Timmy Allen.
Best case would be to pick up some of those moves and add the shot. Tyson has a NBA future. He can shoot from distance
His impact will be March and April

AJ Griffin, Duke
Timmy Allen, Texas
Kendall Brown, Baylor
Caleb Houstan, Michigan
Drew Peterson, USC
Jabari Walker, Colorado
Kellan Grady, Kentucky
Stanley Umude, Arkansas
Justin Powell, Tennessee
Landers Nolley, Memphis
Taevion Kinsey, Marshall
AJ Bramah, Nevada
Hunter Sallis, Gonzaga

I’m not sure I’d have Polite at SF. Honestly, I don’t know what I’d call him but SF isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. He often defends an opposing team’s best ball handler and on offense he’s like a combo guard with a knock down corner three and some playmaking ability.

Matt Cleveland is probably the FSU small forward to watch this year.

Elsewhere on your list, I think Terrence Shannon is gonna bust out big time.

I’m not sure I’d have Polite at SF. Honestly, I don’t know what I’d call him but SF isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. He often defends an opposing team’s best ball handler and on offense he’s like a combo guard with a knock down corner three and some playmaking ability.

Matt Cleveland is probably the FSU small forward to watch this year.

Elsewhere on your list, I think Terrence Shannon is gonna bust out big time.

Hah yeah, I actually wrote Matt Cleveland first. Then I thought an efficient 5th year senior in Polite would make more sense.

I was asking about Caleb Mills running the point the other day because I saw some site list him as the point guard. I thought that was odd, since I never considered him a one, so I was asking for clarification. Guess my rationale for Polite at the 3 was: Evans/Warley at the 1, with Mills at the 2. Most likely Osborne at the 4. Seemed like the 3 spot would be the clearest spot for him.

I often see 2s and 3s as interchangeable, and by default I frequently list the bigger/taller guy as the 3. Obviously you would know more about those details than I would. Maybe FSU is closer to being a position-less basketball team since you guys tend to be taller than most teams - and can switch with relative ease.

Shannon definitely has All-American potential. He should be the go-to scorer for Texas Tech.

Hah yeah, I actually wrote Matt Cleveland first. Then I thought an efficient 5th year senior in Polite would make more sense.

I was asking about Caleb Mills running the point the other day because I saw some site list him as the point guard. I thought that was odd, since I never considered him a one, so I was asking for clarification. Guess my rationale for Polite at the 3 was: Evans/Warley at the 1, with Mills at the 2. Most likely Osborne at the 4. Seemed like the 3 spot would be the clearest spot for him.

I often see 2s and 3s as interchangeable, and by default I frequently list the bigger/taller guy as the 3. Obviously you would know more about those details than I would. Maybe FSU is closer to being a position-less basketball team since you guys tend to be taller than most teams - and can switch with relative ease.

Shannon definitely has All-American potential. He should be the go-to scorer for Texas Tech.

Yeah we are pretty positionless except for the true 5s. Look at guys like Scottie and RaiQuan Gray last year. Basically played 1, 3, and 4, with Gray playing the 5 at times.

The starting 5 doesn’t matter for FSU. We will start someone like Tanor Ngom because Ham likes to win the tip. But he won’t play more than 12-15 minutes a game.

That said, I would be a bit surprised if Mills starts. I think he’d have to have an exceptional fall camp to start. I think he’s gonna be more of the Lou Williams, instant offense off the bench role. I talked to someone who has seen some of the summer 5 on 5s that have been taking place (a ton of FSU pros come back to Tally and work out over the summer) and the three primary initiators on offense have been Evans, Warley, and Polite.

But Polite is also such a good C&S guy that my guess is when Evans and/or Warley are on the court, Polite stands in the corner and rains threes. But when those guys sit, Polite runs point.

Yeah we are pretty positionless except for the true 5s. Look at guys like Scottie and RaiQuan Gray last year. Basically played 1, 3, and 4, with Gray playing the 5 at times.

The starting 5 doesn’t matter for FSU. We will start someone like Tanor Ngom because Ham likes to win the tip. But he won’t play more than 12-15 minutes a game.

That said, I would be a bit surprised if Mills starts. I think he’d have to have an exceptional fall camp to start. I think he’s gonna be more of the Lou Williams, instant offense off the bench role. I talked to someone who has seen some of the summer 5 on 5s that have been taking place (a ton of FSU pros come back to Tally and work out over the summer) and the three primary initiators on offense have been Evans, Warley, and Polite.

But Polite is also such a good C&S guy that my guess is when Evans and/or Warley are on the court, Polite stands in the corner and rains threes. But when those guys sit, Polite runs point.

Ham is all about winning those 6th Man of the Year Awards lol. Kabengele, Pat Williams, Scottie Barnes. If Mills isn't starting, might as well pencil him in for that.

Always nice to have a plethora of quality guards and wings. Should be a fun team. Feel like Cam'Ron Fletcher could be a really valuable asset, too.

Ham is all about winning those 6th Man of the Year Awards lol. Kabengele, Pat Williams, Scottie Barnes. If Mills isn't starting, might as well pencil him in for that.

Always nice to have a plethora of quality guards and wings. Should be a fun team. Feel like Cam'Ron Fletcher could be a really valuable asset, too.

He definitely likes to have a legit talent come off the bench…even if he plays 28 minutes a game lol.

I think Fletcher will thrive in our pace and space offense. Word out of summer is that his athleticism in transition is impressive even at FSU. But I think it might be year two before he really learns our defensive principles.

Last edited:
Baylor's Matthew Mayer is primed.
He's got a nice amount of talent around him, no excuses damnit..
I alway enjoyed when Matthew Mayer came in. You could count on him taking bad shots.

Gabe Brown could be a breakout SF. The coaches seem to say he’s taken a huge step forward. He’s a great athlete, really long, and a great 3 point shooter. A consistent aggression out of him could lead to some good results.

Reactions: Ingersol

Idk why i find this so funny, but does ham really care about winning the tip? That seems to be one of the most irrelevant parts of the game imo. Maybe if there wasnt a single tie/jump ball all game it would be a benefit.

idk just never heard of a coach that makes out his lineup with winning the opening tip in mind 😂. And im not saying ur wrong, bc u know nore about fsu than anyone here, just humorous to me none the less

He definitely likes to have a legit talent come off the bench…even if he plays 28 minutes a game lol.

I think Fletcher will thrive in our pace and space offense. Word out of summer is that his athleticism in transition is impressive even at FSU. But I think it might be year two before he really learns our defensive principles.
Cam's first game at UK he was a defensive monster with a strong engine. I thought at first MKG version 2. Then something happened and he was never the same. He had problems, wasn't a team guy. Hopefully he's got all that behind him because he has a lot of upside.

Reactions: GE Nole
Idk why i find this so funny, but does ham really care about winning the tip? That seems to be one of the most irrelevant parts of the game imo. Maybe if there wasnt a single tie/jump ball all game it would be a benefit.

idk just never heard of a coach that makes out his lineup with winning the opening tip in mind 😂. And im not saying ur wrong, bc u know nore about fsu than anyone here, just humorous to me none the less

Yeah he does, lol. I heard him say one time that teams who win the tip finish with an extra possession like 55% of games. But I don’t know that I’ve actually seen a stat to show that. Maybe he tracked it one season, idk.

Cam's first game at UK he was a defensive monster with a strong engine. I thought at first MKG version 2. Then something happened and he was never the same. He had problems, wasn't a team guy. Hopefully he's got all that behind him because he has a lot of upside.

Great to hear, thanks!

I alway enjoyed when Matthew Mayer came in. You could count on him taking bad shots.
And Baylor could afford it.
He'll be better, or he'll need to be..
Less room for error this season.

Reactions: wesr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT