ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self signs lifetime contract

Interesting timing to offer him a lifetime contract. Sounds like a PR move to bolster recruiting.

This is clearly the reasoning. Removes any concern recruits have about Self leaving because of either a show cause or to the NBA. That’s been one of the biggest negative recruiting aspects against KU the last few years. Lifetime contracts are stupid though.

This is clearly the reasoning. Removes any concern recruits have about Self leaving because of either a show cause or to the NBA. That’s been one of the biggest negative recruiting aspects against KU the last few years. Lifetime contracts are stupid though.
I feel your pain. 😆

I’m not sure he’d get 5. At least not if it’s the disaster some of us would expect. We were pretty quick to get rid of Doherty.
I just read the ESPN article in which Larry Brown said he hopes Roy gets to choose his successor, but it doesn't necessarily sound like that will be the case. I know Roy has already given his input and he likely said Davis. The AD said he prefers someone with head coaching experience but it's not required. He also said it's important to keep it in the family, "but it's not the only factor."

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I like the part of the contract that says, "The parties agree that Athletics will not terminate Head Coach for cause due to any current infractions matter that involves conduct that occurred on or prior to the date of full execution of this Agreement."

F you, NCAA. 😆

How much is Self set to make and what’s the buyout? Those are the issues with Cal’s contract. His buyout is so crazy he’s basically his own boss at this point.

Self has been much more consistent than Cal. Cal seems like he got complacent after that run from 2006-2015. Guess I can’t blame him. But that doesn’t seem like it’s happened with Self.

I just read the ESPN article in which Larry Brown said he hopes Roy gets to choose his successor, but it doesn't necessarily sound like that will be the case. I know Roy has already given his input and he likely said Davis. The AD said he prefers someone with head coaching experience but it's not required. He also said it's important to keep it in the family, "but it's not the only factor."

I’m okay with Roy having input but that’s about it. It’s really the AD‘s call and I’m hoping he doesn’t settle for in-family until better options are exhausted.

Interesting timing to offer him a lifetime contract. Sounds like a PR move to bolster recruiting.
Exactly. Grandstanding in liew of the NCAA sanctions to come. Just Kansas way of showing additional defiance in their beliefs that they did nothing wrong.
Hope the powers that be can see by this charade.

Reactions: Watson2Coleman
Exactly. Grandstanding in liew of the NCAA sanctions to come. Just Kansas way of showing additional defiance in their beliefs that they did nothing wrong.
Hope the powers that be can see by this charade.

They're just not going to bend over and take it from a selectively-punishing group of clowns. All parties involved understand the recruiting landscape and are happy to benefit from it, but the NCAA wants to make a public example of KU while not even glancing in the direction of others.

Getting hammered for discussing the demands of a player that went to Duke? Nah. Eff that.

How much is Self set to make and what’s the buyout? Those are the issues with Cal’s contract. His buyout is so crazy he’s basically his own boss at this point.

Self has been much more consistent than Cal. Cal seems like he got complacent after that run from 2006-2015. Guess I can’t blame him. But that doesn’t seem like it’s happened with Self.

He wanted to make a statement last year. Said before the season that he was motivated to do his best coaching ever. Lost the opportunity obviously.

This year he just didn't have the horses.

Reactions: bern1955
They're just not going to bend over and take it from a selectively-punishing group of clowns. All parties involved understand the recruiting landscape and are happy to benefit from it, but the NCAA wants to make a public example of KU while not even glancing in the direction of others.

Getting hammered for discussing the demands of a player that went to Duke? Nah. Eff that.
And the NCAA not even sniffing in Duke's direction. "We bow to almighty K." 😆

*Self signs lifetime contract*

*NCAA sees this*
*NCAA punishes Arkansas Little Rock/Warns Kansas and Self to not break the rules again*

Also Kansas: *Breaks the rules again.........*
Kansas fans responding to everyone else, knowing that their program is guilty:

tenor.gif

Are you bashing Self's recruiting?

Never really thought about UK being #1 with the wrong reason, but we sucked way more than KU;
The NCAA cloud over our head has hurt our recruiting the last few years and will have been more severe than the actual sanctions (should we even get any).

Self's class last year was terrible. He went for the moon with top prospects and was left holding the bag. Some of them would have came to KU had the cloud not been over our head. He is starting to do a better job on identifying kids that the sanctions wont affect (kids that aren't 1 and done).

Looks like recruiting is starting to turn for the better for us though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The NCAA cloud over our head has hurt our recruiting the last few years and will have been more severe than the actual sanctions (should we even get any).

Self's class last year was terrible. He went for the moon with top prospects and was left holding the bag. Some of them would have came to KU had the cloud not been over our head. He is starting to do a better job on identifying kids that the sanctions wont affect (kids that aren't 1 and done).

Looks like recruiting is starting to turn for the better for us though.
Honestly, can't blame him for trying. Like the rest of us, we just we had better results.

Yeah we are terrible. It makes sense we had the worst season of all blue-bloods and our roster had the least amount of talent.

At least Roy was man enough to admit he didn’t have it anymore.

Lifetime Bill should offer Calipari an opportunity to return to Lawrence as an assistant when he’s canned in a year or two. Would be a nice gesture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT