ADVERTISEMENT

big12

Da_Bull

Jun 29, 2011
Team
Indiana
Why do the shit themselves in the tournament year in and year out? Their best program only has 3 titles, even the big east and aac has teams as good or better than that.

Why do the shit themselves in the tournament year in and year out? Their best program only has 3 titles, even the big east and aac has teams as good or better than that.
I've said it for years. The BIG12 is a good conference from top to bottom and KU is a great program. But there is a reason KU won that conference for 5000 straight years.

The rest of the conference is a bunch of teams that are essentially the same on the "good" scale. They have different styles, but they're all bottom of the top 15 to 30 teams that don't do anything all that special.

Buddy Heild and Tre Young gave Oklahoma a couple if good runs and K-STATE looked promising this year, but, like always, they fizzled out.

So this will probably turn into a conference strength thread and I'll be the first to say that you rank these conferences based on what you value. The B12 is the best across the board, but if you value top end strength and title contenders, it falls behind the rest more times than not.

I hope that doesn't upset anyone, it is what it is.

I don’t know. Why can’t Indiana find a halfway decent coach? Some things are difficult to explain.
We're going to be saying the same thing to you KU fans here in a bit.

Last edited:
I've said it for years. The BIG12 is a good conference from top to bottom and KU is a great program. But there is a reason KU won that conference for 5000 straight years.

The rest of the conference is a bunch of teams that are essentially the same on the "good" scale. They have different styles, but they're all bottom of the top 15 to 30 teams that don't do anything all that special.

Buddy Heild and Tre Young gave Oklahoma a couple if good runs and K-STATE looked promising this year, but, like always, they fizzled out.

So this will probably turn into a conference strength thread and I'll be the first to say that you rank these conferences based on what you value. The B12 is the best across the board, but if you value top end strength and title contenders, it falls behind the rest more times than not.

Used to think they were good top to bottom but not as much any more even with only 10 teams.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
You know the style of ball that makes me want to gouge my eyes out? The type that gets you beat down by Auburn, lololol. That was not a fun game to watch.

The only league that consistently has multiple title contenders is the ACC. Last I checked, none of you are ACC fans.

You know the style of ball that makes me want to gouge my eyes out? The type that gets you beat down by Auburn, lololol. That was not a fun game to watch.

Imagine if Iowa lost 3 of their top 4 players. You wouldn’t make the NIT field.Laughing

Fun? I would say winning games is fun. That is just me though.

An Iowa fan telling a KU fan that winning games is fun. Damn, that’s good stuff. Laughing

Btw, bash on the B12 all you want, but the fact remains that none of your teams could have won 14 straight in that league. Duke is the only program that would have even had a shot.

An Iowa fan telling a KU fan that winning games is fun. Damn, that’s good stuff. Laughing

Btw, bash on the B12 all you want, but the fact remains that none of your teams could have won 14 straight in that league. Duke is the only program that would have even had a shot.

So do you just think KU is snake bit?

. Two questions. Would Kansas have won 14 straight in any other conference:No. Would Uk, duke, Unc have won the big 12 14 times in a row during that stretch : No

I just think the league lacks good coaches and big time programs. When Iowa St is your second strongest program, it's not a good league.

Reactions: Da_Bull
KU and OU just need to join the BIG 10. Kansas would be a stronger program and well prepared for March

Reactions: Da_Bull
So do you just think KU is snake bit?

The only number KU falls behind in relative to other bluebloods is record in national title games.

But yes, they’ve had some shitty luck. The tourney requires luck (for instance, Auburn advancing from the 1st round due to a good FT shooter clanking two free throws) and more often than not, it’s not been in their favor.

But...on the other hand, they’re incredibly lucky that they aren’t Iowa.

The only number KU falls behind in relative to other bluebloods is record in national title games.

But yes, they’ve had some shitty luck. The tourney requires luck (for instance, Auburn advancing from the 1st round due to a good FT shooter clanking two free throws) and more often than not, it’s not been in their favor.

But...on the other hand, they’re incredibly lucky that they aren’t Iowa.

3-0 vs KU in my lifetime. Lol.

All you could come up with is oklahoma and k-state?

Wvu has been better than both of those programs... outside this terrible season. We've been one of the few programs in the league that had consistently played to, or above our seed in the tourney. If our 3 sweet 16 opponents the past 4 years didn't have a combined record of 105-4 we'd probably have another Final Four.

We'll be back to being a top 15 team next year.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Wvu has been better than both of those programs... outside this terrible season. We've been one of the few programs in the league that had consistently played to, or above our seed in the tourney. If our 3 sweet 16 opponents the past 4 years didn't have a combined record of 105-4 we'd probably have another Final Four.

105-4? Damn, I thought KU had bad luck in the tournament. That’s just not fair for West Virginia.

Reactions: doogie503
105-4? Damn, I thought KU had bad luck in the tournament. That’s just not fair for West Virginia.

Pretty sure...

2015 UK
2017 Gonzaga
2018 Nova

Had Nova and Gonzaga beat, let it slip away late. UK not so much.

Considering UVA has won the ACC more times than not lately, I would say you're wrong. I bet Virginia would own the BIG12 just as KU has.

But there are no guarantees. You can't say nobody else can do what KU has done. I don't understand why, it's not like KU is doing anything all that great outside the B12.

When 1 team owns a conference like KU has the B12, it indicates the conference just really isn't that good.

. Two questions. Would Kansas have won 14 straight in any other conference:No. Would Uk, duke, Unc have won the big 12 14 times in a row during that stretch : No
If KU can run off 14 straight B12 titles, why couldn't Virginia, Duke, UNC, Michigan, Michigan State or UK do it?

To be honest, I don't think UK could do it, they're always too young. KU has better player retention, but if KU can do it, there are other programs that certainly could.

Considering UVA has won the ACC more times than not lately, I would say you're wrong. I bet Virginia would own the BIG12 just as KU has.

But there are no guarantees. You can't say nobody else can do what KU has done. I don't understand why, it's not like KU is doing anything all that great outside the B12.

When 1 team owns a conference like KU has the B12, it indicates the conference just really isn't that good.

Wvu smacked uva in the mouth in 2017 and 2018... home and away. We still haven't won in Lawrence.

Just saying...

Reactions: KisteK

If KU can run off 14 straight B12 titles, why couldn't Virginia, Duke, UNC, Michigan, Michigan State or UK do it?

To be honest, I don't think UK could do it, they're always too young. KU has better player retention, but if KU can do it, there are other programs that certainly could.
I think what he’s saying is Duke would be the only other school from 2005-2018 that could’ve won the Big 12 every year. All of those other schools had some down years during that timeframe. The Big 12 may not always be as good as the computer metrics claim they are but Kansas has been an elite program pretty much every year since. 1 title, 3 Final Fours, #2 overall in tournament wins (maybe?), 29-30 wins per season average prove that.

Would you like me to add West Virginia to my list Doog? I can certainly do that.

I brought up the Buddy Hield team because they made it to the FF in 2016. That was a good look for the B12.

The Tre Young team got off to a hot start and challenged KU, but faded. But they were at least exciting to watch for some of the season.

Wvu smacked uva in the mouth in 2017 and 2018... home and away. We still haven't won in Lawrence.

Just saying...
Just because a team loses a game or two doesn't mean they can't win the league.

Virginia got swept by Duke this year, but still easily won the conference.

Matchups matter.

I think what he’s saying is Duke would be the only other school from 2005-2018 that could’ve won the Big 12 every year. All of those other schools had some down years during that timeframe. The Big 12 may not always be as good as the computer metrics claim they are but Kansas has been an elite program pretty much every year since. 1 title, 3 Final Fours, #2 overall in tournament wins (maybe?), 29-30 wins per season average prove that.
I know what he's saying, but it appears as though you can have a down year and still win the B12. That's what all of us are saying.

KU has won that league going away with teams that really weren't that strong in the past.

Heck, this season was by far the most competitive it has been in a really long time. KU was down and you had 3 really good teams (KSU, TT, ISU) battling it out for the league crown. Kansas had injuries and players I eave the team and stay suspended, yet they STILL almost took first place in the league. That shouldn't have happened.

Oklahoma does have 3 sweet sixteens and a Final Four under Lon Kruger, along with 2 NPOY award winners in the last 10 years and very damn near a 3rd one in Trae Young last year. Not to mention Buddy Hield's record against WVU in Norman was pretty one-sided. I agree on K-State though. WVU has definitely out-performed K-State. WVU and Oklahoma are the 2 main tournament winners outside of KU in the Big 12 of late.

Reactions: doogie503
Oklahoma does have 3 sweet sixteens and a Final Four under Lon Kruger, along with 2 NPOY award winners in the last 10 years and very damn near a 3rd one in Trae Young last year. Not to mention Buddy Hield's record against WVU in Norman was pretty one-sided. I agree on K-State though. WVU has definitely out-performed K-State. WVU and Oklahoma are the 2 main tournament winners outside of KU in the Big 12 of late.

We were one of only a hand full of teams to have 4 straight 25+ win seasons and had the nation's 2nd longest streak in the top 25. A slightly luckier draw in the tourney and who knows... wvu could have 2 or 3 Final Fours in an 8 year span.

As far as OU goes, We've won 6 of the last 8 against them. Including 2 out of 3 this year even though we were awful and destroyed by injuries and suspensions. Buddy did beat up on us a few times though. Thankfully his half court shot against us in the Big 12 semifinals was after the buzzer or i would hate him even more.

I just want next season to get here asap. Our young guards grew up late and we might have Konate, Culver and Tshiebwe next year. That's a scary front court.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Yet again you struggle with very simple logic.

Give me a list of teams who could have won the Big 12 from 2005-2018.

Lack of top tier players?

OU and Lon Kruger got to the Final 4 in 2016 with Buddy Hield. Texas ran off Rick Barnes who was their best coach in history and got them to the Final 4 in 2003 with TJ Ford. Will be interesting to see if Shaka can keep his job. KSU has had some good coaches Frank Martin and Bruce Weber reaching the Elite 8 with both of them. Injuries have hurt KSU these last two seasons though.

West Virginia had a horrible season. They lost their floor general to graduation and Konate was injured. Kicked Esa Ahmad and Wesley Harris off the team. They found something in Culver this season but need better guard play. Huggins is a good coach though and they went to the Final 4 in 2010 with Da'Sean Butler.

Iowa St is a good program but people always want their coaches. Things were going well under Fred Hoiberg and he left for the NBA. Now people are looking to poach Steve Prohm.

Oklahoma St has fallen after Eddie Sutton stepped down. They have only been to the round of 32 once since. Hopefully Boynton can right the ship after getting rid of half the team this season.

Texas Tech had been bad since Bobby Knight stepped down. Pat Knight and Gillispie killed the program. Tubby Smith help revitalize it and got it to a better place before Beard and Co. Who have us on a upward trajectory.

Scott Drew has improved the Baylor program. Jamie Dixon is trying his best to improve the TCU program which was awful.

At this point, the PAC was the better league

No.

I just think the league lacks good coaches and big time programs. When Iowa St is your second strongest program, it's not a good league.

Bill Self, Lon Kruger, Bruce Weber, Bob Huggins, Steve Prohm, Chris Beard, Jamie Dixon, Scott Drew. Are all good coaches.

I do think on the outside nobody respects any of the programs not named Kansas. So teams need to keep their coaches, get some talented recruits, get to the tournament, and win games. We are trying to do that at Texas Tech.

Last edited:
Lack of top tier players?

OU and Lon Kruger got to the Final 4 in 2016 with Buddy Hield. Texas ran off Rick Barnes who was their best coach in history and got them to the Final 4 in 2003 with TJ Ford. Will be interesting to see if Shaka can keep his job. KSU has had some good coaches Frank Martin and Bruce Weber reaching the Elite 8 with both of them. Injuries have hurt KSU these last two seasons though.

West Virginia had a horrible season. They lost their floor general to graduation and Konate was injured. Kicked Esa Ahmad and Wesley Harris off the team. They found something in Culver this season but need better guard play. Huggins is a good coach though and they went to the Final 4 in 2010 with Da'Sean Butler.

Iowa St is a good program but people always want their coaches. Things were going well under Fred Hoiberg and he left for the NBA. Now people are looking to poach Steve Prohm.

Oklahoma St has fallen after Eddie Sutton stepped down. They have only been to the round of 32 once since. Hopefully Boynton can right the ship after getting rid of half the team this season.

Texas Tech had been bad since Bobby Knight stepped down. Pat Knight and Gillispie killed the program. Tubby Smith help revitalize it and got it to a better place before Beard and Co. Who have us on a upward trajectory.

Scott Drew has improved the Baylor competitive. Jamie Dixon is trying his best to improve the TCU program which was awful.

No.

Bill Self, Lon Kruger, Bruce Weber, Bob Huggins, Steve Prohm, Chris Beard, Jamie Dixon, Scott Drew. Are all good coaches.

I do think on the outside nobody respects any of the programs not named Kansas. So that means teams need to keep their coaches, get some talented recruits, get to the tournament, and win games. We are trying to do that at Texas Tech.

And yet, the Big 10 and SEC each have one consistently elite program. Which is exactly what they knock the Big 12 for. Laughing

Oh, but S Carolina made a fluke final four once and Florida had some good years under a different coach. Cool, dude.

Can you stop being ******ed for a minute and give me a list please?
Oh, so you don't like it when the tables are turned huh?

Here's one for you: I heard a rumour that any team not in the B12 can win it 14 years in a row.

Hey, it's an internet rumor, so it must be true .

ADVERTISEMENT