ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 thread

So is developing depth on your bench more difficult when dollar bill isn't able to plead with Adidas to buy you players? Huh... Fascinating. You mean maybe we're all finally playing on a Level Playing Field?

Excuse me while I cry for you😪😪😪
Lol, no

Developing local 4stars into NBA players did this cycle in. Thanks for your tears.

CB on this team would have helped tremendously. Would still be a big man shy, tho.

Bill trusting his boy that the D2 Martin can play with the big dogs didn't help, either. Bill trusting Yesufu is certainly another choice.

It is easy to be a fan of someone that has won big. It requires a truer heart to be a fan and someone that has not.

While your Hallmark opinion on truer hearts is adorable..

As someone who's watched Kentucky fans melt, Tennessee football fans melt & Nebraska fans continue to robotically show up on Fall Saturdays..

My opinion differs from yours.

While your Hallmark opinion on truer hearts is adorable..

As someone who's watched Kentucky fans melt, Tennessee football fans melt & Nebraska fans continue to robotically show up on Fall Saturdays..

My opinion differs from yours.
My was based on the individual and not on a entire fan group. Having said that, Neyland stadium is a huge stadium and it has had large attendance numbers throughout UT's football woes.

He actually thinks ISU has integrity.

More like despite being offered money like any other program, recruits still realize that they want to win. And they realize that if they go to ISU they’ll be stuck in the middle of a corn field at a school populated by fat farm girls.

Besides which I know he’s wrong. My bud who went to KState to play for Wooldridge had plenty of stories to tell, ISU involved in at least one. At least I’m not naive. I know what goes on.
Yep, same old coping mechanism…..”but everyone else is doing it. A friend of my girlfriend’s cousin heard that he was involved”. It becomes pathological with the fans of programs that have ZERO integrity. I heard that KU lobbied the B10 for an invite but the door was slammed in their face due to lack of integrity. See, I can do it too.

Yep, same old coping mechanism…..”but everyone else is doing it. A friend of my girlfriend’s cousin heard that he was involved”. It becomes pathological with the fans of programs that have ZERO integrity. I heard that KU lobbied the B10 for an invite but the door was slammed in their face due to lack of integrity. See, I can do it too.
Honestly I've never really been super hard on Dollar Bill for doing what he did with Adidas.. even with Jayhawk fans trying to trot out the "we were a victim of Adidas... a lawyer told us so" defense🤣🤣🤣. As if any of us who have followed it at all haven't read the text messages and seen the voicemails. How KU responded was sleazy for sure, and re-upping with Adidas while crying foul on Adidas is just, well.. you can't make up this stuff. 🤣🤣😀

Truth be told, KU has/had its work cut out trying to compete with sleazy Calipari and Krzyzewski, UNC, etc. KU wasn't necessarily trying to keep up with the Big XII as much as it was trying to keep up with Duke and UNC. Crushing the rest of us was just a bonus for KU, we were pawns in the game. And Bill has done a commendable job, honestly more then commendable. He's been masterful even surpassing UK. he just got caught with his hand in the jar.

IT won't matter a whole lot because , well, technically you still can't buy players and coaches are legally supposed to not be involved or a middleman for their players and boosters. But that is about the most unlikely thing to ever get enforced and NIL has ultimately leveled the playing field for all of us. It's just that the coaches and fans that were used to walking all over the rest of us are now dealing with an environment that has leveled the playing field. So far it appears NIL has been the best thing to happen to programs like Oklahoma State, K-State, ISU, KU, etc when it comes to football. And to those of us who are not basketball blue bloods as well.

Last edited:

Let me guess…you buy Monte Morris’s mommy’s story about the “chance encounter” with Dawkins? 🤣 😂

Damn. Even your players’ parents have no integrity!

I won't deny that big 12 teams ramp up the intensity when KU is in town. That is absolutely true. And it's easy to have a down game the week after you play The Jayhawks. Football teams were doing it with OU as well. Not only has the coaching improved in this league, but more so KU's weapons it had its disposal to create an imbalance in the Big 12 all those years has dried up substantially. Certainly the NCAA investigation to put a halt on things at KU, but also NIL has leveled the playing field. Bill Self is.... Probably the best coach in the league though if I could pick any coach to lead a team Scott Drew could edge him slightly. Maybe... but certainly one of those two. KU's blue blood status will always give it an advantage. And all the rest of us will be fighting against that From Here to Eternity. But at least now the rest of us have a real chance. I'm guessing Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky they're all feeling the effects of NIL.
Coaching has absolutely ramped up. I’d say the Big XII has the best coaching top to bottom if any league.

Reactions: gocats5611
Honestly I've never really been super hard on Dollar Bill for doing what he did with Adidas.. even with Jayhawk fans trying to trot out the "we were a victim of Adidas... a lawyer told us so" defense🤣🤣🤣. As if any of us who have followed it at all haven't read the text messages and seen the voicemails. How KU responded was sleazy for sure, and re-upping with Adidas while crying foul on Adidas is just, well.. you can't make up this stuff. 🤣🤣😀

Truth be told, KU has/had its work cut out trying to compete with sleazy Calipari and Krzyzewski, UNC, etc. KU wasn't necessarily trying to keep up with the Big XII as much as it was trying to keep up with Duke and UNC. Crushing the rest of us was just a bonus for KU, we were pawns in the game. And Bill has done a commendable job, honestly more then commendable. He's been masterful even surpassing UK. he just got caught with his hand in the jar.

IT won't matter a whole lot because , well, technically you still can't buy players and coaches are legally supposed to not be involved or a middleman for their players and boosters. But that is about the most unlikely thing to ever get enforced and NIL has ultimately leveled the playing field for all of us. It's just that the coaches and fans that were used to walking all over the rest of us are now dealing with an environment that has leveled the playing field. So far it appears NIL has been the best thing to happen to programs like Oklahoma State, K-State, ISU, KU, etc when it comes to football. And to those of us who are not basketball blue bloods as well.
Paying players is and has been rampant. Do you really think Beasley and Walker were good old boys who went to KSU for the family atmosphere?

As I mentioned, I had a good friend who played at KState for Wooldridge in the early 00s. He received a bag, distributed by a booster network. If it’s happening at a bad program as KSU was under Wooldridge for average recruits, you can’t tell me it isn’t happening everywhere.

The difference is KU, Duke, UK, etc had Adidas and NIKE funneling big money, which gave them deeper pockets. And those companies are going to funnel the players to their top brands. It wasn’t for lack of wanting or trying that other schools didn’t have that benefit. Not was it integrity on the part of those programs. They’d have all taken the help if given. If they’re willing to look the other way for alumni/boosters, they’d be willing to look the other way for Adidas/NIKE.

I also think it’s hard to say that. NIL has leveled the playing field. KU has deep donor pockets and an enthusiastic donor base with regards to basketball. And when you say it like that, it makes it sound like KU has fallen off the map. KU literally won a National title last year and signed 3 McDonald’s All Americans. Unfortunately one of them has been a non-factor due to back issues and the other is not ready. So only Dick had lived up to the billing.

Clonewhocomplains thinks ISU was some bastion of integrity. My bud who played for Wooldridge took a trip to ISU. Oh he never mentioned anything about being offered money by ISU, but he did mention being offered something else. You can use your imagination to figure out what might peak a young man’s interest.

Last edited:
Paying players is and has been rampant. Do you really think Beasley and Walker were good old boys who went to KSU for the family atmosphere?

As I mentioned, I had a good friend who played at KState for Wooldridge in the early 00s. He received a bag, distributed by a booster network. If it’s happening at a bad program as KSU was under Wooldridge for average recruits, you can’t tell me it isn’t happening everywhere.

The difference is KU, Duke, UK, etc had Adidas and NIKE funneling big money, which gave them deeper pockets. And those companies are going to funnel the players to their top brands. It wasn’t for lack of wanting or trying that other schools didn’t have that benefit. Not was it integrity on the part of those programs. They’d have all taken the help if given. If they’re willing to look the other way for alumni/boosters, they’d be willing to look the other way for Adidas/NIKE.

I also think it’s hard to say that. NIL has leveled the playing field. KU has deep donor pockets and an enthusiastic donor base with regards to basketball. And when you say it like that, it makes it sound like KU has fallen off the map. KU literally won a National title last year and signed 3 McDonald’s All Americans. Unfortunately one of them has been a non-factor due to back issues and the other is not ready. So only Dick had lived up to the billing.
As long as you understand the imbalance (and it sounds like you do) that has created the streak of Big XII titles, etc. Money was always involved everywhere, but that is not a sound defense for Adidas and Nike favoring programs which created a completely unfair playing field for everybody else. You can't equate your argument for a grab bag of gifts vs Bill Self telling an Adidas middle man "get me guys" with a straight face and you know it.

Time will tell on the NIL front. The impact on basketball could be huge because all it takes is just a guy or two and it completely changes things for a program. Football impact overall might be less, but even then it is huge with news of the big time Florida State running back transfer Treshaun Ward to KSU and the highly coveted CB transfer from LSU that KU picked up. I thought NIL was going to be a disaster. But so far it really has allowed programs to compete for players in a way they couldn't before. It's likely going to weaken the strength of the second string for a place like Alabama and Georgia cause those guys are going to go to KSU and Oklahoma State to start. I never had any friends who were starters on the football team when I was at K-State in the 90's, but I did know some of the practice squad guys on scholly. And a couple of them never had a pot to piss in cause they were so busy with football, parents weren't loaded, and they couldn't work. It really sucked for them, even if their educations were paid for. I'm hoping NIL takes care of these boys too.

KU did win a NC.. but I'd argue that had everything to do with Bill Self who along with Scott Drew are easily the two best proven coaches in the Big XII. But hell.. for once Bill is up against coaches who are matching his wits, and even maybe he's getting out-coached a game or two. Plus the rest of the league has created an environment finally that is going to battle test the Big XII champion and ready them for March Madness. The NCAA Tourney is all about matchups and getting hot. Self, even without the advantages, is still going to get his. But he's had more talented squads then last years that did far less. This league is just gonna make Bill Self, Scott Drew, and every other coach in this league better. Or.. they might get run out of town like.. gasp.. even Huggs is at risk of.

As long as you understand the imbalance (and it sounds like you do) that has created the streak of Big XII titles, etc. Money was always involved everywhere, but that is not a sound defense for Adidas and Nike favoring programs which created a completely unfair playing field for everybody else. You can't equate your argument for a grab bag of gifts vs Bill Self telling an Adidas middle man "get me guys" with a straight face and you know it.

Time will tell on the NIL front. The impact on basketball could be huge because all it takes is just a guy or two and it completely changes things for a program. Football impact overall might be less, but even then it is huge with news of the big time Florida State running back transfer Treshaun Ward to KSU and the highly coveted CB transfer from LSU that KU picked up. I thought NIL was going to be a disaster. But so far it really has allowed programs to compete for players in a way they couldn't before. It's likely going to weaken the strength of the second string for a place like Alabama and Georgia cause those guys are going to go to KSU and Oklahoma State to start. I never had any friends who were starters on the football team when I was at K-State in the 90's, but I did know some of the practice squad guys on scholly. And a couple of them never had a pot to piss in cause they were so busy with football, parents weren't loaded, and they couldn't work. It really sucked for them, even if their educations were paid for. I'm hoping NIL takes care of these boys too.

KU did win a NC.. but I'd argue that had everything to do with Bill Self who along with Scott Drew are easily the two best proven coaches in the Big XII. But hell.. for once Bill is up against coaches who are matching his wits, and even maybe he's getting out-coached a game or two. Plus the rest of the league has created an environment finally that is going to battle test the Big XII champion and ready them for March Madness. The NCAA Tourney is all about matchups and getting hot. Self, even without the advantages, is still going to get his. But he's had more talented squads then last years that did far less. This league is just gonna make Bill Self, Scott Drew, and every other coach in this league better. Or.. they might get run out of town like.. gasp.. even Huggs is at risk of.

Like Mike Brey said, everybody has relationships with shoe companies. He specifically said that what Self did was nothing out of the ordinary. They all look to shoe reps for help in securing guys.

Big 12 fans are so delusional. You actually think that KU is what they are because of the "Adidas advantage." Sure.....has nothing to do with having the top coach in the game or being one of the most storied programs with a great venue and great exposure. Nah, couldn't be that. On a "level playing field," all the recruits would flock to Manhattan. 🤣

Yes, they do.

And what did they win with them again?

"If only we could get talent like KU's!"

KU just won the national title with 2 top 100 players in their rotation and zero 5 stars.

Like Mike Brey said, everybody has relationships with shoe companies. He specifically said that what Self did was nothing out of the ordinary. They all look to shoe reps for help in securing guys.

Big 12 fans are so delusional. You actually think that KU is what they are because of the "Adidas advantage." Sure.....has nothing to do with having the top coach in the game or being one of the most storied programs with a great venue and great exposure. Nah, couldn't be that. On a "level playing field," all the recruits would flock to Manhattan. 🤣
I don't think I said anything of the sort. What I did insinuate was that string of Big XII titles was not exactly a huge surprise when you know what was going on behind the scenes.

But it's not like KU needed that advantage because even with that advantage I also said Bill Self is gonna get his like he did last year. In fact, with this league getting better and Self having to actually coach his team to wins it's probably going to make Self a better coach come March Madness. Weren't you the ones whining the Big XII was at fault for KU always losing in March? Well.. looks like that isn't a concern anymore. And lo and behold KU and Baylor have been the biggest names in college basketball the last 4 years.

5 KSU
9 KU
10 Texas
11 TCU
12 ISU
17 Baylor

That’s ridiculous
Seems like Baylor should win tonight, but KU losing again seems almost impossible. That is gonna be so much fun to watch tonight.

I think Iowa State wins tomorrow against KSU unfortunately. Nobody is safe in first place.

I don't think I said anything of the sort. What I did insinuate was that string of Big XII titles was not exactly a huge surprise when you know what was going on behind the scenes.

But it's not like KU needed that advantage because even with that advantage I also said Bill Self is gonna get his like he did last year. In fact, with this league getting better and Self having to actually coach his team to wins it's probably going to make Self a better coach come March Madness. Weren't you the ones whining the Big XII was at fault for KU always losing in March? Well.. looks like that isn't a concern anymore. And lo and behold KU and Baylor have been the biggest names in college basketball the last 4 years.

KU's had to contend with other top 10 teams in the Big 12 pretty much every year in the Self era. Sometimes multiple. Plenty had similar talent to KU's if not better. Texas has been loaded with talent virtually every year in that span. Baylor's had a ton of talent over the years, the Oklahoma schools have had some really talented teams, WV, etc. They've all had their moments. Yet Bill's come out on top every year except his first season in '04, 2019 when he lost Azubuike and Vick, and two years ago when he just flat didn't have the horses to compete with Baylor (yet still finished 2nd and split w/ Baylor head to head.

But sure, sure....14 straight was expected, and now he's going to finally have to start coaching. Love it. 😂

Last edited:
KU's had to contend with other top 10 teams in the Big 12 pretty much every year in the Self era. Sometimes multiple. Plenty had similar talent to KU's better. Texas has been loaded with talent virtually every year in that span. Baylor's had a ton of talent over the years, the Oklahoma schools have had some really talented teams, WV, etc. They've all had their moments. Yet Bill's come out on top every year except his first season in '04, 2019 when he lost Azubuike and Vick, and two years ago when he just flat didn't have the horses to compete with Baylor (yet still finished 2nd and split w/ Baylor head to head.

But sure, sure....14 straight was expected, and now he's going to finally have to start coaching. Love it. 😂
I'm pretty sure I've heard a ton of whining from KU fans side that they kept crashing and burning in the Dance because the Big XII sucked. Yep.. definitely heard that a few times.

But you know, whatever argument works for you right now is okay.

I'm pretty sure I've heard a ton of whining from KU fans side that they kept crashing and burning in the Dance because the Big XII sucked. Yep.. definitely heard that a few times.

Well, if you heard it from a few KU fans, then I must have said it too, right?

I call it a perk. KU and other programs may be the programs that they funnel players to, but it’s because those schools were already name programs. Stringing together successive great coaching hires that out KU near the top are what for them there and Adidas/NIKE is what keeps them there. Of course you still need good coaching, as we’ve seen other programs fall from grace.

NIL does change things a bit in both sports. In basketball it could be beneficial if you find some good transfers, but ultimately it will come down to who has the richest and/or most enthusiastic alumni. KU has plenty of wealthy alumni and many of whom are willing to spend a pretty penny to keep a top notch basketball program going. But Kentucky on the other hand has rich alumni and a bad that would sell their own mother to win titles. I don’t think KU’s donor base is as eager. On the flip side there are schools on the west coast who have rich alumni, but many of whom care little to nothing about sports.

In football it has definitely has a lot of impact on schools trying to turn a program around. There are a lot of talented guys riding the bench in the SEC that would rather chase an opportunity elsewhere. Those guys can be solid starters in the Big XII or elsewhere. Basketball recruits have been transferring in large numbers for quite some time to chase playing time since it just takes one breakout year to make a pro roster. It’s ramped up for sure but it’s been happening for a long time. Football though has seen transfers go from a trickle to a flood. Good players will always see the court in bball even if behind other talented guys, but good football players disappear on a depth chart all the time due to roster numbers and lack of need to go down the depth chart other than in case of injury. So now that transfer is open and NIL is in play, a guy will try to get his opportunity where he can. This will help turn programs around faster. Probably put KU a year ahead of where they would have been in the rebuild.

KU’s improvement in the tourney is in part due to the improvement of the league for sure.

It’s also the change in style. We’ve done better in the tourney since we went small. Having a traditional 5 may win you more games in the regular season, but guard heavy lineups seem to work out better in the tourney. Less prone to bad shooting nights in pressure situations.

Game over. With Dick on the bench early with two fouls(one very questionable) KU has no offense outside of Wilson. And Baylor of course can’t miss.

Last edited:
KU gets all the calls!!

Dumbasses.
KU clawed all the way back into this game and Sirmon just took over. They lower a shoulder it’s a block, we lower a shoulder it’s an offensive foul. We breath on Flagler and it’s free throws. Wilson gets hammered and no call. Then Self complains about it and he gets a T.

Somehow a team that has shot 28 threes and a bunch of mid range jump shots has been fouled 20 times and the team that is shooting everything in the paint isn’t getting fouled.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
KU isn’t going to win another game until McCullar can get out of this funk. He’s a non factor. Has missed his last 20 threes, all of them wide open.

Reactions: forsh_21
KU isn’t going to win another game until McCullar can get out of this funk. He’s a non factor. Has missed his last 20 threes, all of them wide open.

Time to bench Harris and McCullar and let them see the game from the different perspective. The 2 of them are just an absolute mess right now. They make simple plays look much harder than they should be.

Pay your players more then, dumbass.

Harris has just killed KU tonight. KJ hasn’t been much better. McCullar is a mess anytime he touches the ball on the offensive end.

Harris has just killed KU tonight. KJ hasn’t been much better. McCullar is a mess anytime he touches the ball on the offensive end.
Harris is going through a funk.
But so is KJ and McCullar.
McCullar there a couple times had Dick open on the wing and turned it down. He’s so desperate to get it going that he isn’t seeing the floor.

KU clawed all the way back into this game and Sirmon just took over. They lower a shoulder it’s a block, we lower a shoulder it’s an offensive foul. We breath on Flagler and it’s free throws. Wilson gets hammered and no call. Then Self complains about it and he gets a T.

Somehow a team that has shot 28 threes and a bunch of mid range jump shots has been fouled 20 times and the team that is shooting everything in the paint isn’t getting fouled.
You know it's funny you say that. Home cooking is an issue everywhere. It has probably always been a little worse at AFH historically but that is a function of the fans and crowds as much as anything. Fill up your Arena and it's going to help you with the officials. Plain and simple. That more than anything is probably why the perception is that KU has always gotten more than a fair share of calls at AFH.

But I actually kind of agree the officials have been hard on Bill Self this year. Almost makes you wonder if so many people have been in Yormarks ears about Bill and officiating. I don't really know how to feel about it. I know officiating against KU always infuriated Rick Barnes and he was not afraid to call them out so i feel like there has to be a little something to it. But Self won the National Championship without Big 12 officials and I don't really believe that officiating has that much of an impact on the final record at the end of the season for any specific team.

I always knew you liked timeframing. When it works in your favor of course. 😆

Yep…looks like he does have the edge there now. Of course, Bill won all three before he arrived, by an average of 15 per. And kicked his ass in the 08 title game for good measure.

Since you’re on board with timeframing, KU leads Kentucky in everything in the modern era, including head to head.
Self lost his only game outside of KU resources.

It's kind of interesting.

Since Cal has been at UK it's 3 games for UK then 3 games for KU.

UK has 2 out of 3 in the trilogy.

I really hope we continue to play. Y'all win on Saturday and we're tied with a current coach with current schools.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
You know it's funny you say that. Home cooking is an issue everywhere. It has probably always been a little worse at AFH historically but that is a function of the fans and crowds as much as anything. Fill up your Arena and it's going to help you with the officials. Plain and simple. That more than anything is probably why the perception is that KU has always gotten more than a fair share of calls at AFH.

But I actually kind of agree the officials have been hard on Bill Self this year. Almost makes you wonder if so many people have been in Yormarks ears about Bill and officiating. I don't really know how to feel about it. I know officiating against KU always infuriated Rick Barnes and he was not afraid to call them out so i feel like there has to be a little something to it. But Self won the National Championship without Big 12 officials and I don't really believe that officiating has that much of an impact on the final record at the end of the season for any specific team.
It has always been an issue at AFH. But officiating is swayed by the crowd, more with some officials than others. The thing non-KU fans fail to realize is that everywhere we go we play in packed buildings. We do get favorable calls at home, but we get bad whistles on the road. Once in a while the two things flip-flop, but for the most part, as good of a whistle as we get at home, we get an equally bad one on the road.

I like Barnes, but of course he's going to notice a bad whistle in AFH, but he's not going to notice a favorable whistle at home. No coaches are going to acknowledge that. It's a classic response bias. He's going to notice a bad whistle at AFH, because AFH is always packed. But he isn't going to notice as bad of a whistle elsewhere on the road, because most places are half empty, so they aren't playing the same atmosphere.

IMO it's natural and understandable that officials get swayed by loud crowds. Some officials though like to get involved in the game. You know the type. The type who give overly flamboyant charge signals and are quick to call a T on the visiting coach. Sirmon has a knack for this. As does Higgins.

The Big 12 is fabulous this year. Most entertaining conference in America, by far. Bilas said something last night like, "You don't really have bottom teams in this conference. There are top-level teams, and middle teams." That assessment seems about right. Texas Tech is 0-7 in league play, yet 6 of those 7 losses were within 10 points or less.

Baylor started conference play off 0-3... Kansas has lost their last 3. Winning in this league is crazy tough.

Last edited:
Also got to appreciate fans like this...

FmuA1D9aAAErB-q

TCU on a tear!
KSU/ISU locked in a battle!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT