ADVERTISEMENT

Between Duke, IU, KU, UConn

Iowa:

artur-kornakov-EUhn2h-FgZc-unsplash.jpg

Come take a seat next to us on the non Blue Blood bus, lol

Winning when it matters most is most important. Uconn has won titles now in 4 straight decades. You going to still be bragging about regular season titles if uconn gets to 8 and you are still at 4 in the future to?
Does IU's 11 tournament misses from 2000 to present count, compared to KU losing to lower seeds when KU has made 32 straight NCAA Tournaments....?

Does IU's 11 tournament misses from 2000 to present count, compared to KU losing to lower seeds when KU has made 32 straight NCAA Tournaments....?

He thinks it's better to have a losing record than to not play to seed.

These poor bastards are so desperate. 🤣

My All-Time Table will look like this, when factoring in this season's results:

4. Kansas - 1176
5. Duke - 1152
6. Louisville - 720
7. Indiana - 708
8. UConn - 707

Kansas and Duke are battling for 4th. And Louisville, Indiana, and UConn are battling for 6th. The gap between 5th and 6th is significant.

Does this include UL's title from 2013? Interesting that they are over teams with more titles. I'd have Uconn over IU if only because of recency bias.

1 pt difference between Indiana and Uconn. Yeah, when it's that close, you have to give it to the program that's done it recently.

4. Kansas - 1176
5. Duke - 1152
6. Louisville - 720
7. Indiana - 708
8. UConn - 707

Kansas and Duke are battling for 4th. And Louisville, Indiana, and UConn are battling for 6th. The gap between 5th and 6th is significant.
Pretty much in line with what I’d expect. Big drop off after 5. Maybe I assumed IU would be above Louisville but it’s really close from 6 to 8.

Pretty much in line with what I’d expect. Big drop off after 5. Maybe I assumed IU would be above Louisville but it’s really close from 6 to 8.

The gap between 5 and 6 is massive. It really is. I don't think anyone here will see the #6 team catch up to the #5 team in their lifetime. It's going to take many, many years for anyone to be within striking distance.

I think most would expect Indiana to be at #6 in the all-time ranks. They've actually been very UConn-esque themselves. 5 titles in only 8 Final Four appearances - and they failed in their last two FFs in 1992 and 2002. So, at one point they had actually been 5 for 6, just like UConn.

The only things that should count is all time wins and titles. It doesn't matter if you got your ass kicked 3 or 4 games away from a title.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Same reason that UCLA isn’t considered the GOAT (and why some don’t even consider them a blueblood). But if a lot of UCLA’s success happened in the modern era, everyone would have them #1.

Staying relevant matters.
It shouldn't, not when discussing one's accomplishments. What you achieved at the any point is equal importance to the other. People don't consider UCLA the goat because it was one coach in one time frame, not because it's not recent.

I just realized that Indiana has NEVER won the Big 10 tourney and they've only played in the championship game once. They are 15-25 all time (tourney started in 1998). That's even more embarrassing than I imagined, TBH.

• Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
I just realized that Indiana has NEVER won the Big 10 tourney and they've only played in the championship game once. They are 15-25 all time (tourney started in 1998). That's even more embarrassing than I imagined, TBH.
Knight despised the big ten tourney. Routinely sat starters for it. Since him IU hasn’t been near as good obviously

Knight despised the big ten tourney. Routinely sat starters for it. Since him IU hasn’t been near as good obviously
He was only there for the first 3 Big Ten tournaments and Indiana wasn't very good his last 3 years anyway.

4. Kansas - 1176
5. Duke - 1152
6. Louisville - 720
7. Indiana - 708
8. UConn - 707

Whoa, Louisville?

How would you stack rank them in terms of respect for their accomplishments?
1: Kansas---they lead all the others in everything but titles. 33 straight NCAAT's. TBH, I could stop right there.

2- Duke---Same amount of titles of IU, but more NCAAT appearances, NCAAT wins, FF's...

3--Indiana: tied with UCOnn for titles...but more NCAAT wins, appearances, FF's than UConn.

4- UConn....Like IU they disappeared. All their success in last 25 years, basically. hard to dismiss that. But success is success. I just think simply being tied with IU and Duke is not enough to overcomes trailing in every other single stat.

1: Kansas---they lead all the others in everything but titles. 33 straight NCAAT's. TBH, I could stop right there.

2- Duke---Same amount of titles of IU, but more NCAAT appearances, NCAAT wins, FF's...

3--Indiana: tied with UCOnn for titles...but more NCAAT wins, appearances, FF's than UConn.

4- UConn....Like IU they disappeared. All their success in last 25 years, basically. hard to dismiss that. But success is success. I just think simply being tied with IU and Duke is not enough to overcomes trailing in every other single stat.
I bet your wife don't read " everything" you post, if so she has been beating your butt with a bat when you are asleep. 🤣 🤣 🤣 😜

Titles are important, but they aren’t the only metric. Additionally, while modern results might be more impressive than results in the 1970s or whatever, I also think a program like UConn exploding onto the scene as late as 1999 is kind of an odd case to judge. Order seems obvious to me:

Kansas

Duke

Indiana
UConn

I bet your wife don't read " everything" you post, if so she has been beating your butt with a bat when you are asleep. 🤣 🤣 🤣 😜
As we tlaked about earlier---probably the reason for all my surgeries...I mean who da fuk has three surgeries in 8 months...

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Titles are important, but they aren’t the only metric. Additionally, while modern results might be more impressive than results in the 1970s or whatever, I also think a program like UConn exploding onto the scene as late as 1999 is kind of an odd case to judge. Order seems obvious to me:

Kansas

Duke

Indiana
UConn
Not sure the gap between IU/Duke is that far. Especially when placing IU/UConn so close. IMO, IU is closer to Duke than UConn is. As you said, titles are important, but they are not everything.

Whoa, Louisville?

50-Greatest-Programs.png

Louisville beats Indiana on 10 of my 15 metrics. Of the 7 that involve the NCAA Tournament, Louisville wins in 5 of those metrics. The only two tournament metrics where they're not ahead of Indiana are the two that stand the most, title game appearances and championships.

Not sure the gap between IU/Duke is that far. Especially when placing IU/UConn so close. IMO, IU is closer to Duke than UConn is. As you said, titles are important, but they are not everything.

Absolutely not. UConn/Indiana are pretty darn close across the board. UConn beat Indiana on 7/13 metrics, and they tied on a few.

The gap between Duke and Indiana is enormous. Indiana beats Duke on nothing, tied in titles, and gets crushed in quite a few categories.

Tournament Appearances
Duke- 45
Indiana- 41

Round of 32 (obviously some of the tournaments didn't have the Round of 32)
Duke- 38
Indiana 22

Sweet 16
Duke- 32
Indiana- 22

Elite Eight
Duke- 23
Indiana- 11

Final Four
Duke- 17
Indiana- 8

Title Games
Duke- 11
Indiana- 6

Conference Reg. Season Championships (Since 1939)
Duke- 23
Indiana- 19

Conference Tournament Championships (Since 2002)
Duke- 9
Indiana- 0

AP Top 10 Finishes
Duke- 39
Indiana- 17

AP Top 25 Finishes
Duke- 51
Indiana- 29

Seasons with .800+ Winning Percentage
Duke- 29
Indiana- 17

Sub .500 Winning Percentage
Duke- 6
Indiana- 14

Sub .300 Winning Percentage
Duke- 0
Indiana- 4

As we tlaked about earlier---probably the reason for all my surgeries...I mean who da fuk has three surgeries in 8 months...
Just saying bud, just leave a UK fan alone, (your wife). 🤣 🤣

Edit: Another saying that I haven't preached to you yet, "Happy wife Happy life"

• Haha
Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yeah, if I meant to do that while posting on my phone, I shouldn’t have. 😂 I’d definitely have IU clearly above UConn. However, after yet another NC run, I’ll need to take a look at UConn’s stats again to really know, lol … they’re such a weird case to judge.

50-Greatest-Programs.png

Louisville beats Indiana on 10 of my 15 metrics. Of the 7 that involve the NCAA Tournament, Louisville wins in 5 of those metrics. The only two tournament metrics where they're not ahead of Indiana are the two that stand the most, title game appearances and championships.

Absolutely not. UConn/Indiana are pretty darn close across the board. UConn beat Indiana on 7/13 metrics, and they tied on a few.

The gap between Duke and Indiana is enormous. Indiana beats Duke on nothing, tied in titles, and gets crushed in quite a few categories.

Tournament Appearances
Duke- 45
Indiana- 41

Duke- 38
Indiana 22

Sweet 16
Duke- 32
Indiana- 22

Elite Eight
Duke- 23
Indiana- 11

Final Four
Duke- 17
Indiana- 8

Title Games
Duke- 11
Indiana- 6

Duke- 23
Indiana- 19

Duke- 9
Indiana- 0

AP Top 10 Finishes
Duke- 39
Indiana- 17

AP Top 25 Finishes
Duke- 51
Indiana- 29

Duke- 29
Indiana- 17

Duke- 6
Indiana- 14

Duke- 0
Indiana- 4
Facts

Reactions: dukedevilz
50-Greatest-Programs.png

Tournament Appearances
Duke- 45
Indiana- 41

Duke- 38
Indiana 22

Sweet 16
Duke- 32
Indiana- 22

Elite Eight
Duke- 23
Indiana- 11

Final Four
Duke- 17
Indiana- 8

Title Games
Duke- 11
Indiana- 6

Duke- 23
Indiana- 19

Duke- 9
Indiana- 0

AP Top 10 Finishes
Duke- 39
Indiana- 17

AP Top 25 Finishes
Duke- 51
Indiana- 29

Duke- 29
Indiana- 17

Duke- 6
Indiana- 14

Duke- 0
Indiana- 4
Solid stats---gap is bigger when you use 420 statistics...

Lousiville trails Indiana in titles(5-3)...tied in FF's.....NCAAT appearances....and NCAAT wins.

Keep in mind IU has kept this edge all the while being a pile of stinking shit since 1994. And trailing of Duke has came within the same parameters...

I don't have an issue with Duke. But Louisville---Yes. We can count all the 20 win seasons, conference titles, sub .400 this or that---Its not apples to oranges. Different conference's for one.

Keep in mind as well, IU is on a short list of having coaches win multiple titles: McCracken won 2---Knight won 3. If I am not mistaken, only UNC can say this?

Duke---All titles under K
KU--Self has 2 of their 4. Allen and Brown the other two
UK--Rupp has 4 of their 8. Hall, Smith, Pitino and Cal
UCLA---Wooden and Harrick

Call me biased, that is fine---But overall history, I'll take Indiana over Louisville.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

Kansas

Duke

Indiana
UConn

Just FYI, UConn really came onto the scene in 1990 - big east regular season and tournament champions with a #1 seed and lost on a last second shot in the elite 8. Tourney in 91 (sweet 16), 92 (round of 32), 94 ( big east reg season champ, 2 seed sweet 16), 95 (big east regular season champ, 2 seed, elite 8 loss to eventual national champ UCLA in effing Oakland), 1996 (big east regular season and conference tourney champs, 1 seed, sweet 16), 98 ( big east regular season and tourney champs, 2 seed loss to unc in greensboro), 99 (big east regular season and tourney champs, 1 seed, title).

In the 90s uconn won the big east conference regular season 6 times, conference tourney 4 times, had 3 #1 seeds, and 3 # 2 seeds. Some would call uconn’s tournament record from 1990-1998, “kansasing.”

The gap between 5 and 6 is massive. It really is. I don't think anyone here will see the #6 team catch up to the #5 team in their lifetime. It's going to take many, many years for anyone to be within striking distance.

I think most would expect Indiana to be at #6 in the all-time ranks. They've actually been very UConn-esque themselves. 5 titles in only 8 Final Four appearances - and they failed in their last two FFs in 1992 and 2002. So, at one point they had actually been 5 for 6, just like UConn.
As usual you make a lot of sense.

HOW IN HELL ARE YOU A DUKE FAN? :D

Solid stats---gap is bigger when you use 420 statistics...

Lousiville trails Indiana in titles(5-3)...tied in FF's.....NCAAT appearances....and NCAAT wins.

Keep in mind IU has kept this edge all the while being a pile of stinking shit since 1994. And trailing of Duke has came within the same parameters...

I don't have an issue with Duke. But Louisville---Yes. We can count all the 20 win seasons, conference titles, sub .400 this or that---Its not apples to oranges. Different conference's for one.

Keep in mind as well, IU is on a short list of having coaches win multiple titles: McCracken won 2---Knight won 3. If I am not mistaken, only UNC can say this?

Duke---All titles under K
KU--Self has 2 of their 4. Allen and Brown the other two
UK--Rupp has 4 of their 8. Hall, Smith, Pitino and Cal
UCLA---Wooden and Harrick

Call me biased, that is fine---But overall history, I'll take Indiana over Louisville.
I never want to agree with a Hoosier; however, I totally agree with Borden here.

UL is a good program; however, I remember when Louisville (I went there) was in the OVC. I remember when UL was in the Missouri Valley. I remember when UL was in whatever flavor of the week conference that they happened to fall into. I went to many UL games where there were fewer than 3,000 in Freedom Hall. You could go in on your student pass and sit in the best seats.

Where has Indiana been? Big Ten. The hate is thick in the Big Ten because many of the teams have been playing each other for decades. Same as the SEC.

Indiana before the NCAA Tourney expansion had to live with some really good teams in their own conference. Only one would go to the NCAA. If they went to the NCAA the second game would be against usually the best of the SEC or the very good independents that they put against the SEC in the first round. That region had the dominant teams in that era; whereas the West, MidWest and East were push overs with a few exception. In the UCLA era they usually played one top 20 team before they got to the final four. The West sucked swamp water based on talent.

Young punks don't remember how tough it was to come out of the Regional that the Big Ten and SEC played.

Hell in 1975 Kentucky beat an IU team that would have won the NCAA had UK not won. The only reason that UK lost to UCLA in the final game was because John Wooden announced his retirement and the NCAA would not let him go out a loser. Indiana's closest contest in the 1976 undefeated season was Kentucky. Benson hit a luck shot to tilt the tide.

So Borden, you own me. I am defending you.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I never want to agree with a Hoosier; however, I totally agree with Borden here.

UL is a good program; however, I remember when Louisville (I went there) was in the OVC. I remember when UL was in the Missouri Valley. I remember when UL was in whatever flavor of the week conference that they happened to fall into. I went to many UL games where there were fewer than 3,000 in Freedom Hall. You could go in on your student pass and sit in the best seats.

Where has Indiana been? Big Ten. The hate is thick in the Big Ten because many of the teams have been playing each other for decades. Same as the SEC.

Indiana before the NCAA Tourney expansion had to live with some really good teams in their own conference. Only one would go to the NCAA. If they went to the NCAA the second game would be against usually the best of the SEC or the very good independents that they put against the SEC in the first round. That region had the dominant teams in that era; whereas the West, MidWest and East were push overs with a few exception. In the UCLA era they usually played one top 20 team before they got to the final four. The West sucked swamp water based on talent.

Young punks don't remember how tough it was to come out of the Regional that the Big Ten and SEC played.

Hell in 1975 Kentucky beat an IU team that would have won the NCAA had UK not won. The only reason that UK lost to UCLA in the final game was because John Wooden announced his retirement and the NCAA would not let him go out a loser. Indiana's closest contest in the 1976 undefeated season was Kentucky. Benson hit a luck shot to tilt the tide.

So Borden, you own me. I am defending you.
giphy.gif

The only reason that UK lost to UCLA in the final game was because John Wooden announced his retirement and the NCAA would not let him go out a loser.

Man....the NCAA was plotting against you even back then? Wow. A story of perseverance against all odds.

Do you think Kentucky has ever actually lost a game or were they all stolen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT