ADVERTISEMENT

As of Today, Rank Your Top 5 Teams Most Likely to Win the Tourney

If there are 5 teams to be considered for some sort of 'spot', how on earth could UNC be chosen over UK, given the head-to-head result?
Said person had both Kentucky and unc in his 5. Don't think he said who was better than who. You are too caught up on comparing unc to Kentucky.

Just curious. Would Kentucky's game against Seton Hall impact your opinion of who would win if those two teams played again today?

Well. I am feeling dirty for somewhat defending unc. So I am moving on from that.

I am torn on whether or not I would want to see Duke go up against Kentucky. The basketball fan in me says absolutely. The Duke fan in me says too storybook for Kentucky.
I actually can relate to that.

Duke's worst nightmare would be for a team to beat them in the NCAA after an ass whopping 34 point beat-down in November.

Well. I am feeling dirty for somewhat defending unc. So I am moving on from that.

I am torn on whether or not I would want to see Duke go up against Kentucky. The basketball fan in me says absolutely. The Duke fan in me says too storybook for Kentucky.
Want no part of Duke again. Not because I don't think we'd fair better, because we would. I'd rather avoid the better teams in the country if possible.

Said person had both Kentucky and unc in his 5. Don't think he said who was better than who. You are too caught up on comparing unc to Kentucky.

Just curious. Would Kentucky's game against Seton Hall impact your opinion of who would win if those two teams played again today?

Given the vast improvements that UK has shown since being 10-3 early in the season, (especially defensively)....nope.

Want no part of Duke again. Not because I don't think we'd fair better, because we would. I'd rather avoid the better teams in the country if possible.

That's fair, but I'd still love to see them play again...with the title on the line. It worked out for UK once before. Pissed off Feinstein so much he wrote a book about it.

That's fair, but I'd still love to see them play again...with the title on the line. It worked out for UK once before. Pissed off Feinstein so much he wrote a book about it.
I think we could definitely win, we'd have a huge chip on our shoulders. I just see more favorable match ups. Duke is probably one of 3 teams I want nothing to do with in the tournament, for one reason or another.

Duke, Tennessee, Michigan, Kentucky, and Virginia. Carolina has an outside shot, simply because they shoot the 3 and rebound so well.

Head to head matchups in November aren't an indicator. The heels beat Michigan easily in last season's acc/big challenge, but would have lost to them in March. I'm a Duke fan that's not crazy about playing Kentucky again, simply for the reason that they have plenty of motivation for wanting another shot at them.

Duke, Tennessee, Michigan, Kentucky, and Virginia. Carolina has an outside shot, simply because they shoot the 3 and rebound so well.

Head to head matchups in November aren't an indicator. The heels beat Michigan easily in last season's acc/big challenge, but would have lost to them in March. I'm a Duke fan that's not crazy about playing Kentucky again, simply for the reason that they have plenty of motivation for wanting another shot at them.
I could never put my finger on who you were a fan of. I enjoy a lot of your takes and for the most part they are completely unbiased, which is where my confusion came from. Good post.

Reactions: Mac9192
Who are the other 2?
Virginia and Tennessee. Virginia because our half court offense is our biggest weakness at this point IMO. They will slow us down and make us play half court for a huge part of the game. Would be a tough match up.

Tennessee because of familiarity. I guess this argument could work in our favor too. Lets say We sweep Tennessee in the regular season/SEC tournament. They're a talented bunch, if we meet them 2-0 or 3-0 in the tournament, I think it could be too much to ask of us to beat them again. Again, completely hypothetical. And I love where UK is trending. We will be a favorite by the time March gets here.

Reactions: JC for 3
Yeah it was, in fact, you've been on that kick lately, you've been running all over this board sticking your finger in as many cheated as you can acting like you're some sort of freaking hall monitor.
Someone piss in your cheerios last week or something?
I missed this somehow. I am curious how many people, and who agree with this take. I don't see it, other than calling JC out for ruining every thread. Which I have done with Duke fans who obsess over the unc scandal as well. What I did with you was engage in a basketball discussion, which appears to have upset you. My apologies .

Given the vast improvements that UK has shown since being 10-3 early in the season, (especially defensively)....nope.
That would be a reasonable take. Roy Williams typically has a better product in March than he has in November and December. That is why they would be in my top 7. Which I think 7 or 8 teams have a reasonable chance to win 6 games in March. Some more reasonable than others.

That would be a reasonable take. Roy Williams typically has a better product in March than he has in November and December. That is why they would be in my top 7. Which I think 7 or 8 teams have a reasonable chance to win 6 games in March. Some more reasonable than others.
If I gave you...

Duke
Michigan
Michigan State
Gonzaga
Kentucky
Tennessee

Do you take those 6 or the field? I would take those teams and not think twice.

That's a solid 6. Would be too easy of a choice though. Make me think harder. Haha.
Ha! Fair enough. I think our champion comes from one of those. I'm not sure I would give many other teams reasonable chances, but like you said, some more reasonable than others. Carolina could make a run, maybe Nevada? Kansas? I just don't see many capable teams winning the tournament after those 6.

Virginia and Tennessee. Virginia because our half court offense is our biggest weakness at this point IMO. They will slow us down and make us play half court for a huge part of the game. Would be a tough match up.

Tennessee because of familiarity. I guess this argument could work in our favor too. Lets say We sweep Tennessee in the regular season/SEC tournament. They're a talented bunch, if we meet them 2-0 or 3-0 in the tournament, I think it could be too much to ask of us to beat them again. Again, completely hypothetical. And I love where UK is trending. We will be a favorite by the time March gets here.

Why does Virginia’s defense scare you so much more than Michigan’s?

Why does Virginia’s defense scare you so much more than Michigan’s?
Not defense, but I like UVA more than Michigan due mostly to PG play. I just don’t think Simpson is a championship level PG.

He could prove me wrong, though.

Not much. Michigan pushes in transition but slows it down otherwise.
Hail I haven’t watched enough of Michigan to give them a fair assessment definitely. Virginia is known to slow the game down and it’s hurts transition teams. Michigan could very well be a handful on defense for us, especially in the half court

Not defense, but I like UVA more than Michigan due mostly to PG play. I just don’t think Simpson is a championship level PG.

He could prove me wrong, though.

The dude just had a triple double with zero turnovers. He’s pretty good. Aruagbly the best on ball defender in the country and not terrible offensively.

Also, Sophomore Simpson was literally our PG last season when we made the national championship game. He’s better this year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Hail I haven’t watched enough of Michigan to give them a fair assessment definitely. Virginia is known to slow the game down and it’s hurts transition teams. Michigan could very well be a handful on defense for us, especially in the half court

Michigan’s defense is pretty consistent and travels well. It will keep us in most games. Our matchup problem comes when a team can force us to play terrible offense because we aren’t great on that end of the court.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Michigan’s defense is pretty consistent and travels well. It will keep us in most games. Our matchup problem comes when a team can force us to play terrible offense because we aren’t great on that end of the court.
Sounds like you guys have the same problems we do. Would probably be a low scoring game

Michigan lost 3 of their top 4 scorers from last year. Simpson wasn’t one of those four. Not sure he had much to do with it.

The fact they lost 3 of their top 4 players, yet are 19-1 and have one of the best defenses in the country should let you know that he had something to do with their success.

The fact they lost 3 of their top 4 players, yet are 19-1 and have one of the best defenses in the country should let you know that he had something to do with their success.
Agree to disagree. I’ve watched them play 4-5 times and he seems like one of the poorer players on the acourt each time.

They certainly have some very good talent at other spots, and I think they’re a clear top 4-7 team. I just don’t think he can lead them there this year.

Now if they get lucky again and only have to beat a 14, 6, 7, 9, and 11 seed to get to the Final, they’ll likely be there again.

Michigan lost 3 of their top 4 scorers from last year. Simpson wasn’t one of those four. Not sure he had much to do with it.

Wut

Michigan was and is where they are because of elite defense and Simpson is the best defensive player on our team.

The dude just had a triple double with zero turnovers. He’s pretty good. Aruagbly the best on ball defender in the country and not terrible offensively.

Also, Sophomore Simpson was literally our PG last season when we made the national championship game. He’s better this year.
Tennessee fans don't understand the final four. They ain't never been there. ;)

Agree to disagree. I’ve watched them play 4-5 times and he seems like one of the poorer players on the acourt each time.

They certainly have some very good talent at other spots, and I think they’re a clear top 4-7 team. I just don’t think he can lead them there this year.

Now if they get lucky again and only have to beat a 14, 6, 7, 9, and 11 seed to get to the Final, they’ll likely be there again.

What games?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I’m ok with people thinking Michigan won’t win a title but his reasoning as to why they aren’t a contender is so odd. Simpson is damn good.
Can I ask why? Stats aren’t damn good. Not a great shooter. Looks a step slow.

What makes him “damn good?”

Example:

Simpson: 8.9 PPG (43.2%), 5.9 APG, 1.7 TOPG

Jordan Bone: 13.4 PPG (44.8%), 6.4 APG, 1.9 TOPG

Assuming what you say is true, they’re both very good defenders.

So is Bone an All-American, or is Simpson a mediocre PG?

Can I ask why? Stats aren’t damn good. Not a great shooter. Looks a step slow.

What makes him “damn good?”

Example:

Simpson: 8.9 PPG (43.2%), 5.9 APG, 1.7 TOPG

Jordan Bone: 13.4 PPG (44.8%), 6.4 APG, 1.9 TOPG

Assuming what you say is true, they’re both very good defenders.

So is Bone an All-American, or is Simpson a mediocre PG?

Simpson isn't just a "very good defender". He is an elite defender. He is the best defender on the best defensive team in the country.

We've got a Michigan State fan in here calling out your opinion on Simpson. Think about that for a second.

ADVERTISEMENT