ADVERTISEMENT

As of Today, Rank Your Top 5 Teams Most Likely to Win the Tourney

Can I ask why? Stats aren’t damn good. Not a great shooter. Looks a step slow.

What makes him “damn good?”

Example:

Simpson: 8.9 PPG (43.2%), 5.9 APG, 1.7 TOPG

Jordan Bone: 13.4 PPG (44.8%), 6.4 APG, 1.9 TOPG

Assuming what you say is true, they’re both very good defenders.

So is Bone an All-American, or is Simpson a mediocre PG?

Here is John Gassaway's answer in a column where he just put Simpson in his top 25 players in the country.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...5888810/the-top-25-players-college-basketball

19. Zavier Simpson, Michigan Wolverines

Simpson is the most Michigan player on the Michigan roster, and when a team is 20-1 a year after a run to the national title game, that's quite a compliment. He's going to make your 40 minutes miserable if you happen to be an opposing player with the effrontery to try to run an offense. The junior has been named to the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year midseason watch list, but let's do that honor one better. Simpson is one of the best 25 players in the nation -- period. Ask Ohio State: 12 assists and 10 rebounds to go with 11 points gave the sky-hooking, 6-foot point guard just the sixth triple-double in UM history.

Not defense, but I like UVA more than Michigan due mostly to PG play. I just don’t think Simpson is a championship level PG.

He could prove me wrong, though.

He is the best defensive player in the country. Plays lock down on any elite PG

1. Virginia
2. Duke (if Barrett starts giving Zion a few more shots, they could be 1)
3. Gonzaga
4. Tennessee
5. Kentucky

Last edited:
I think Hagans is well on his way to being a star at point guard. He's not going to have the stats of Tre Jones or Simpson, just due to not playing nearly as much as those guys have. They have been starters since day one, Hagans took over full time only after Quade left.

I wouldn't trade Ashton for any PG in the country right now. He's getting better and better with every game.

I think Hagans is well on his way to being a star at point guard. He's not going to have the stats of Tre Jones or Simpson, just due to not playing nearly as much as those guys have. They have been starters since day one, Hagans took over full time only after Quade left.

I wouldn't trade Ashton for any PG in the country right now. He's getting better and better with every game.
You wouldn't trade him for Cassius Winston? Seriously?

You wouldn't trade him for Cassius Winston? Seriously?
For our team, no. I'm not claiming Ashton is the best talent wise or anything, but he does exactly what UK needs him to do. Be a crazy good defender, be a vocal leader, and make plays when our offense stalls. He's probably the best defender UK's had at point guard in 15 years.

For our team, no. I'm not claiming Ashton is the best talent wise or anything, but he does exactly what UK needs him to do. Be a crazy good defender, be a vocal leader, and make plays when our offense stalls. He's probably the best defender UK's had at point guard in 15 years.
I think you are seriously underestimating the impact of a what will be a junior first team all american. I'd rather have that in the tournament than a freshman, especially for a team like Kentucky. Hagans has been good, but there's a large gap there IMO

I think you are seriously underestimating the impact of a what will be a junior first team all american. I'd rather have that in the tournament than a freshman, especially for a team like Kentucky. Hagans has been good, but there's a large gap there IMO
I really don't know much about the kid TBH, I'll take your word for it though. I'm happy with you we have.

Look, if you people voting for UNC, PURDUE KANSAS hell put TEXAS in they beat all three yes I kn ow we lost some head scrachers LOL.:mad:.

Cassius Winston is not being talked about enough. He is the straw that stirs the drink with State.
I've seen him just step into too many three point shots on the break and hit nothing but the bottom of the net constantly.
He also seems to get easy buckets in the paint at will.
Every time I think MSU is on the ropes, he makes a string of plays in a row that puts the game out of reach.
I would actually rather play duke than this Michigan State team TBH.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Cassius Winston is not being talked about enough. He is the straw that stirs the drink with State.
I've seen him just step into too many three point shots on the break and hit nothing but the bottom of the net constantly.
He also seems to get easy buckets in the paint at will.
Every time I think MSU is on the ropes, he makes a string of plays in a row that puts the game out of reach.
I would actually rather play duke than this Michigan State team TBH.

Biggest issue is that we don't really have a backup PG, so if Winston is in foul trouble / hurt / tired, we stagnate.

Ashton should be a senior in HS. He's exactly what UK needs. I'm not dissing any other point guards, but he meshes well with this team. I like Quickley as well. Better outside shooting, but less aggressive as Hagans. There's not 1 player on this team that I dislike. We may not win it all, but these guys will go down fighting. Good group of players.That's all you can ask...

Reactions: JC for 3
So he played bad in one of his 21 games? lol that's what you're going with? I'm sure i could point out games where Hagans (or anyone) played bad but I'm not a fvcking idiot
He didn't score in double-figures until game number 12 for UK. Also, five of his first six games this year had an ORtg below 70.

But Cassius Winston went for 13 & 6 on the road once. So it's basically a wash.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
He didn't score in double-figures until game number 12 for UK. Also, five of his first six games this year had an ORtg below 70.

But Cassius Winston went for 13 & 6 on the road once. So it's basically a wash.
Laughing

after UK beats ut how many of you non believers are going to put UK on your list

Biggest issue is that we don't really have a backup PG, so if Winston is in foul trouble / hurt / tired, we stagnate.
That would be more of a concern if CW was your only big, it's so easy to get a big in foul trouble, but CW is a veteran guard, he knows he can't get into foul trouble.

You'd rather play a team that beat you by 38 already? Damn, MSU must be nasty!!
Duke's November win was a combination of a great performance by duke and complete incompetence by UK. They played scared and uncoached.
We're in February now and this isn't the same UK team by a long shot.
But when I watch MSU, they shoot the 3 ball >>>>>>Duke and that has been an achilles heel for this UK team, they're better at defending the 3 ball now, but MSU creates open 3's better than most teams in the country. Plus, they have two damn good bigs that have some beef, talent and experience.
Lastly, I used to live near East Lansing, MI and the people I worked with, in Lansing, are huge Michigan State fans, my daughter and niece both went to MSU. I would rather not square off with MSU in this tournament. Maybe next year MSU will be a bad 12 seed and UK smokes them by fitty and I get big scoreboard bragging rights.

Duke's November win was a combination of a great performance by duke and complete incompetence by UK. They played scared and uncoached.
We're in February now and this isn't the same UK team by a long shot.
But when I watch MSU, they shoot the 3 ball >>>>>>Duke and that has been an achilles heel for this UK team, they're better at defending the 3 ball now, but MSU creates open 3's better than most teams in the country. Plus, they have two damn good bigs that have some beef, talent and experience.
Lastly, I used to live near East Lansing, MI and the people I worked with, in Lansing, are huge Michigan State fans, my daughter and niece both went to MSU. I would rather not square off with MSU in this tournament. Maybe next year MSU will be a bad 12 seed and UK smokes them by fitty and I get big scoreboard bragging rights.

if duke uk played tonight on neutral court duke would likely still roll. probably not by 30+ again, but i don't think it would be very competitive. duke has matchup problems galore for uk and they also have the advantage of being in their head from the first monumental beatdown. right now the uk players are wondering if they can be competitive. a good head coach, and i believe cal is one, can negate the psychology of that to a certain degree, but it still plays a role.

if duke uk played tonight on neutral court duke would likely still roll. probably not by 30+ again, but i don't think it would be very competitive. duke has matchup problems galore for uk and they also have the advantage of being in their head from the first monumental beatdown. right now the uk players are wondering if they can be competitive. a good head coach, and i believe cal is one, can negate the psychology of that to a certain degree, but it still plays a role.
Keep believing that. If Duke can lose to Syracuse, they can easily lose to UK.
The improvements UK has made since November can't be matched by any other team.

Keep believing that. If Duke can lose to Syracuse, they can easily lose to UK.
The improvements UK has made since November can't be matched by any other team.

always love when the transitive property is used. it's like because cuse beat them we definitely will. keep living that dream buddy. they outclass you at almost every position. uk can beat them. probably give them 1 in a 7 game series.

always love when the transitive property is used. it's like because cuse beat them we definitely will. keep living that dream buddy. they outclass you at almost every position. uk can beat them. probably give them 1 in a 7 game series.
Too bad for you this is a team game. If it just came down to talent, Duke would have won the title each of the last 3 years, but that's not what happened.

UK has a better defense and UK can shoot better (by a mile).

But hey, keep on believing that individual talent wins titles.

Too bad for you this is a team game. If it just came down to talent, Duke would have won the title each of the last 3 years, but that's not what happened.

yea, and the koolaid they are serving in lexington must be on par with jonestown's.

Duke is a better defensive team than UK.

https://kenpom.com/index.php

UK would be lucky to win 1 game out of 5 games vs this Duke team due to the matchup problems.

Duke is essentially just a better version of UK if you compare the rosters.

Tre > Hagans
Reddish > Herro
RJ > Keldon
Zion > PJ
Bolden and Travis is a wash (Reid struggles against athletic bigs)

What's the realistic pathway to a UK victory here? I just don't see it.

UK would be lucky to win 1 game out of 5 games vs this Duke team due to the matchup problems.

Tre > Hagans
Reddish > Herro
RJ > Keldon
Zion > PJ

This is pretty homerish, but consider the source ;)

Just without looking at stats, I'd bet my left nut Duke hasn't shot like they did against UK one other time this year. 46 percent from three against the Cats, what are you guys the rest of the year? Just north of 30? Duke is one of the worst shooting teams in the country. People who want to use the November game as a reference for the next possible matchup have their heads buried in the sand.

Please continue to tell me how there is no possible way UK beats Duke if they play again. That's even bad for you.

Tre > Hagans
Reddish > Herro
RJ > Keldon
Zion > PJ

Tre > Hagans.... certainly not on defense.
Reddish > Herro ....depends whose hitting shots that day
RJ >Keldon ... no argument from me
Zion >PJ.... ok
Bolden and Travis a wash? No. Bolden is a 'OAD' that didn't work out and calling him 'athletic' is a stretch.

The Cats have done a 180 since the first game of the year. The defense alone (now ranked in Top 10) is a stark difference from the beginning of the year.

UK's Shooting %'s have also improved quite a bit.

Path to victory? go heavy right at Zion, get him in foul trouble or just throw as many bodies at him as possible and wear him down. UK's defense at the other positions will make it a winnable game.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Tre > Hagans.... certainly not on defense.
Reddish > Herro ....depends whose hitting shots that day
RJ >Keldon ... no argument from me
Zion >PJ.... ok
Bolden and Travis a wash? No. Bolden is a 'OAD' that didn't work out and calling him 'athletic' is a stretch.

The Cats have done a 180 since the first game of the year. The defense alone (now ranked in Top 10) is a stark difference from the beginning of the year.

UK's Shooting %'s have also improved quite a bit.

Path to victory? go heavy right at Zion, get him in foul trouble or just throw as many bodies at him as possible and wear him down. UK's defense at the other positions will make it a winnable game.
Its not like UK fans are predicting a win if we played again. I think Duke would be a 5 or 6 point favorite on a neutral floor and win 70 percent of the games probably. But to say there's no path to victory for a top 5 squad with arguably the second most talent in the country is beyond ridiculous.

Of course there is a path to victory vs Duke. Syracuse did it perfectly. Take out their best defender. Who isn't only their best defender, but makes everyone else's job on defense easier. It also helps to be without Reddish as well. As poor as his offense can be, he is an underrated defender.

That's mostly sarcasm. But you're right. Nobody should be over confident going into a tournament game between Kentucky and Duke. On either side. I have the right amount of confidence that if Duke plays their A game, they should win.

ADVERTISEMENT