ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

Don't you think there's quite a bit of room between best in the country and a top 10 player?
Yes I do. That’s why I think he’s a great player, but not even close to “the best player in the country”. Doesn’t mean he isn’t high on my list of CBB players.

It sure feels good having carsen Edwards, the best player in the country, on our roster this upcoming season.

Pistol Pete's father, Press Maravich, had one of the greatest recruiting pitches of all-time:

"If you don't sign this ... don't ever come into my house again."

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I'm not sure it's unreasonable to project that Carsen wont be 1st or 2nd team all American. Given Purdue's projected offensive struggles, he will be put in a position where he will have to force a ton of shots. He may score 20 pts/gm, but it also may take him 23 shots/gm to get there.

Reactions: SNU0821
Yes I do. That’s why I think he’s a great player, but not even close to “the best player in the country”. Doesn’t mean he isn’t high on my list of CBB players.
Well, only reason I asked is because it seemed you were saying both. I agree not the best player in the country, but I think he is definitely close if not in top 10. Do you think he isn't either?

I'm not sure it's unreasonable to project that Carsen wont be 1st or 2nd team all American. Given Purdue's projected offensive struggles, he will be put in a position where he will have to force a ton of shots. He may score 20 pts/gm, but it also may take him 23 shots/gm to get there.
I don't think Purdue will struggle on offense as much as you think. They have Edwards and Cline who are high percentage shooters back. Haarms played a lot of minutes and should get the Freshman to Sophomore jump. Same with Eastern. They brought in a decent shooting Juco. Several of the Freshman as supposed to be "shooters". Hey, they might struggle at times, but I don't think it will be awful.

I don't think Purdue will struggle on offense as much as you think. They have Edwards and Cline who are high percentage shooters back. Haarms played a lot of minutes and should get the Freshman to Sophomore jump. Same with Eastern. They brought in a decent shooting Juco. Several of the Freshman as supposed to be "shooters". Hey, they might struggle at times, but I don't think it will be awful.
It may seem like they're going to struggle IMO because of how efficient they were the last couple of years. They don't have four proven guys with Edwards this year. There are question marks with Cline, Eastern, Haarms and Bordeaux (sp?). So even by the numbers they may not be "struggling" they will surely look a lot different than they have the last couple of years. My guess is the offense takes a good step back but I wouldn't think they're going to constantly struggle.

4 of your projected starters (Eastern, Cline, Eifert, Haarms) averaged around 12 combined points. None of your new guys are projected to start over your 6th-9th rotation players from last year.

4 of your projected starters (Eastern, Cline, Eifert, Haarms) averaged around 12 combined points. None of your new guys are projected to start over your 6th-9th rotation players from last year.

I seriously doubt Eifert is starting... Evan Boudreaux would be the likely starter at the 4 spot. He averaged 17.5 ppg and 9.5 reb at Dartmouth.

I seriously doubt Eifert is starting... Evan Boudreaux would be the likely starter at the 4 spot. He averaged 17.5 ppg and 9.5 reb at Dartmouth.
Word from a scrimmage is he isn't as up to speed as they thought (or something to that nature) and may not start. I probably butchered that last statement. @CardinalBoiler can you summarize what you saw/heard about EB at the scrimmage where the fans could come watch?

Word from a scrimmage is he isn't as up to speed as they thought (or something to that nature) and may not start. I probably butchered that last statement. @CardinalBoiler can you summarize what you saw/heard about EB at the scrimmage where the fans could come watch?

Interesting. Wonder if that means he's not good as good as they originally thought... or if he's overcoming injury or rust?

Interesting. Wonder if that means he's not good as good as they originally thought... or if he's overcoming injury or rust?
I want to say it was a rust thing. Like its taking him a minute to get back to game speed or used to the offense or something like that. Nothing to do with how good/not good he's is or is going to be.

It may seem like they're going to struggle IMO because of how efficient they were the last couple of years. They don't have four proven guys with Edwards this year. There are question marks with Cline, Eastern, Haarms and Bordeaux (sp?). So even by the numbers they may not be "struggling" they will surely look a lot different than they have the last couple of years. My guess is the offense takes a good step back but I wouldn't think they're going to constantly struggle.
Well, of course they will take a step back. I think that's a given. I think there is a big difference from taking a few steps back and "struggling".

You can easily argue that happ in college was better than Anthony Davis as a freshman, nba potential is meaningless in this discussion
No, just, no. Ethan Happ is arguably the most overrated player in the last 30 years I'll give him that. Not a good defender, can't shoot at all, decent in the post. He gets a lot of his stats off the bs foul calls he gets at home the same way Nigel hayes did. Not in the same stratosphere as guys like Davis, Anthony, Laettner ect..

Just now seeing this, but yeah, I think that's a fair summation. From what I have read and heard elsewhere, Eifert is likely penciled into that starting spot. It sounds cliche, but Painter really does value a steady, experienced player who knows his role and the system. We've seen it with plenty of guys over the years whose talent and skillset didn't command the minutes they were getting.

I think it's going to be a process for EB, probably more than I expected when he committed, to get back into shape and up to speed of the college game. Moving from the Ivy League to the B1G was going to be a jump regardless, but taking a year off is going to exacerbate that learning curve.

He's going to be a nice mismatch as the backup center and at the 4, but his lateral quickness worries me out on the perimeter guarding some of those stretch 4s in the league. Eifert is no freak athlete, but he's pretty solid in assignment defense (probably analogous to McBob for IU fans).

I do think Boudreaux will be the starter by B1G season, but Eifert is going to probably figure into the rotation all year.

I understand the general point you're making, but I wouldn't bet on him shooting 30% from the field on a regular basis.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I understand the general point you're making, but I wouldn't bet on him shooting 30% from the field on a regular basis.
If I had to guess, I would say his percentages look a lot closer to his freshman year than last year. His per game numbers will look better than last year though.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
Unbelievably bad take. 10/10.

On a 30 win team. Good take. Meanwhile Romeo will light it up on offense and defense.

Homer

Obviously didn’t watch Carsen play basketball . If he takes 23 shots to score 20 I will never post again. You game ?

What's wrong with it? I watched almost every Purdue game last season as I have two roommates that went there.

I saw nothing from Eastern, Cline, Eifert, or Haarms to suggest they will be great offensively. In fact, I would guess there were more games last year where none of those players combined scored 1 point than there were games where ONE of them scored double figures...

Obviously didn’t watch Carsen play basketball . If he takes 23 shots to score 20 I will never post again. You game ?
As I pointed out to @CardinalBoiler , I believe his percentages will be closer to his freshman season, but his per game numbers will be similar to last season. He wont get near as many open shots this year. Haas will be a bigger loss for you guys than most of you realize.

Fyi, there were 6 games last year where one of those 4 players scored double digits (Haarms 4, Cline 2, Nojel 1, Eifert 0).

There were 2 games last year where none of those four scored a point. You can't possibly think you will be good offensively this year.

Fyi, there were 6 games last year where one of those 4 players scored double digits (Haarms 4, Cline 2, Nojel 1, Eifert 0).

There were 2 games last year where none of those four scored a point. You can't possibly think you will be good offensively this year.
If you are making a determination based on last season, how does IU stack up this year?

If you are making a determination based on last season, how does IU stack up this year?
I went ahead and did the work for you. Out of the returning players not named Juwan Morgan or Deron Davis (dont think he will play this season) last season they combined to have 21 games in double figures. (Green, Durham, McBob, Smith)

I went ahead and did the work for you. Out of the returning players not named Juwan Morgan or Deron Davis (dont think he will play this season) last season they combined to have 21 games in double figures. (Green, Durham, McBob, Smith)
Why don’t you compare minutes played and see what you get. None of the four you mentioned for Purdue averaged anywhere near 20 minutes or more.
Haarms 17mpg 4.8ppg
Cline 17mpg 4.0ppg
Eastern 12.6mpg 2.9ppg
Eifert 8.3mpg 1.6ppg

Durham 18.8mpg 6.5ppg
McRoberts 21.9mph 2.8ppg
Smith 14.5mpg 6.5ppg
Davis 18.8mpg 9.6ppg

Seems Durham is a little better than Haarms, McBob, well...Smith doubles Eastern with a little more time and Davis, who is iffy to play much until January is your best returning player not named Juwan.

That shows a difference, yet not much and when you consider the Purdue guys played on a 30 win team and weren’t relied on to score vs the IU guys playing on a .500 that lack scoring, I am not sure there’s much of an argument to say IU will be any better at offense than Purdue. I know they won’t be as good defensively and we all know which team has the best player.

There is nothing in last years performance that points to IU doing anything special this year. You got one really good recruit and lost 3 of your top five scorers, 4 if you count Davis. That doesn’t scream offensively talented team

Why don’t you compare minutes played and see what you get. None of the four you mentioned for Purdue averaged anywhere near 20 minutes or more.
Haarms 17mpg 4.8ppg
Cline 17mpg 4.0ppg
Eastern 12.6mpg 2.9ppg
Eifert 8.3mpg 1.6ppg

Durham 18.8mpg 6.5ppg
McRoberts 21.9mph 2.8ppg
Smith 14.5mpg 6.5ppg
Davis 18.8mpg 9.6ppg

Seems Durham is a little better than Haarms, McBob, well...Smith doubles Eastern with a little more time and Davis, who is iffy to play much until January is your best returning player not named Juwan.

That shows a difference, yet not much and when you consider the Purdue guys played on a 30 win team and weren’t relied on to score vs the IU guys playing on a .500 that lack scoring, I am not sure there’s much of an argument to say IU will be any better at offense than Purdue. I know they won’t be as good defensively and we all know which team has the best player.

There is nothing in last years performance that points to IU doing anything special this year. You got one really good recruit and lost 3 of your top five scorers, 4 if you count Davis. That doesn’t scream offensively talented team

A. You forgot Green.
B. Only 1 good recruit? What about top 50 Jerome Hunter?
C. Romeo is easily our best player not named juwan.
D. Ban bet on who finishes higher between IU and Purdue?

Haarms 17mpg 4.8ppg
Cline 17mpg 4.0ppg
Eastern 12.6mpg 2.9ppg
Eifert 8.3mpg 1.6ppg

Durham 18.8mpg 6.5ppg
McRoberts 21.9mph 2.8ppg
Smith 14.5mpg 6.5ppg
Davis 18.8mpg 9.6ppg

I’m not sure much of this is realistic or even close to the truth. But not sure anyone here expects a ton from you when projecting IU and Purdue. Last year you claimed there wasn’t a chance IU would finish higher than like 10th. You used these same types of arguments and were proven wrong. IU will have a better team. I think we could end up better offensively and defensively. Don’t think that’s a stretch at all.

On a 30 win team. Good take. Meanwhile Romeo will light it up on offense and defense.
What does that have to do with anything? Because they were part of a 30 win team, they're automatically going to make huge impacts?

What does that have to do with anything? Because they were part of a 30 win team, they're automatically going to make huge impacts?
They at the very least have beaten good teams. None of the players on Iu outside of Morgan even knows what it’s like to beat a tourney team.
But yeah, it means a lot. They weren’t expected to score and were playing back up roles to a very good senior class. Huge difference.

Haarms 17mpg 4.8ppg
Cline 17mpg 4.0ppg
Eastern 12.6mpg 2.9ppg
Eifert 8.3mpg 1.6ppg

Durham 18.8mpg 6.5ppg
McRoberts 21.9mph 2.8ppg
Smith 14.5mpg 6.5ppg
Davis 18.8mpg 9.6ppg

1. You forgot Devonte Green: 7.6 ppg

2. One, really good recruit? Jerome Hunter is a Top 50 kid. Maybe not "really good". But, meh, pretty damn good. BTW, how many "really good recruits" you guys bring in?

3. Again, what is it with this, "playing on a 30 win team", shit? What does that have to do with anything?

Reactions: rjpeal and SNU0821
They at the very least have beaten good teams. None of the players on Iu outside of Morgan even knows what it’s like to beat a tourney team.
But yeah, it means a lot. They weren’t expected to score and were playing back up roles to a very good senior class. Huge difference.
Seems like Green, Davis, Fitzner, and McBob have beaten quite a few tournament teams... (they weren't freshman last year).

I’m not sure much of this is realistic or even close to the truth. But not sure anyone here expects a ton from you when projecting IU and Purdue. Last year you claimed there wasn’t a chance IU would finish higher than like 10th. You used these same types of arguments and were proven wrong. IU will have a better team. I think we could end up better offensively and defensively. Don’t think that’s a stretch at all.
Nice reply. Appears you agree with me when you don’t refute my take. I never said a thing about IU finishing 10th it whatever. Ironically, the record you finished with was around 10th place the year before what is now know as the worst Bigten conference ever outside the top 4. Congrats on not being the worst.

Ok. We will see how that helps this year. Lose damn near 80% of your scoring, rebounding, assists, etc, etc...4 starters.

But hey----those reserves? Gonna save the day.

Yep.

I mean, they did play on a 30 win team.

ADVERTISEMENT