ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

sdsufan10

Apr 11, 2013
That you have no connection/fandom to, my list:
Oregon-Pretty much a lock to be best shot blocking team in the country unless injuries have intriguing pieces and a good coach but how do they fit together?
Marquette- Maybe secretly the most offensive potential in the country, but will they defend?
LSU- Naz Reid and one of the best PG's in the country Tremont Waters intrigue me
Auburn-Lot of good pieces here, Austin Wiley returns-Anfernee McLemore is very talented and poised for a breakout year.
St Johns-Shamorie Ponds gets all the headlines but swiss army knife Justin Simon has big talent and Heron maybe eligible to play right away

That you have no connection/fandom to, my list:
Oregon-Pretty much a lock to be best shot blocking team in the country unless injuries have intriguing pieces and a good coach but how do they fit together?
Marquette- Maybe secretly the most offensive potential in the country, but will they defend?
LSU- Naz Reid and one of the best PG's in the country Tremont Waters intrigue me
Auburn-Lot of good pieces here, Austin Wiley returns-Anfernee McLemore is very talented and poised for a breakout year.
St Johns-Shamorie Ponds gets all the headlines but swiss army knife Justin Simon has big talent and Heron maybe eligible to play right away
Also get back Purifoy. Auburn is my pick as FF contender. Possible title winner. They havae a ton of pieces. And Pearl can coach.

Illinois - theyll constantly have 3 guards on the floor at all times who can handle, pass, and either get into the lane or shoot (or both). Add in they have budding star Kipper Nichols at the 4 and the sheer pace theyll play with the pressure they can put on ball handlers is going to overwhelm teams on defense to go along with those matchup nightmares. I have them as a surprise NCAA tournament team if they remain healthy.

Nebraska - their teams starting lineup is loaded. Isaiah Roby, Glynn Watson, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland. They can switch screens, have defensive versatility, and score in a number of ways.

Maryland - Anthony Cowan is the best pure point guard in the nation. 2 way player who is great on both sides. BRUNO is a budding star who is flat out too explosive physically for most teams. Throw in a recruiting clasd that fits perfectly with a guy who can play stretch 4 in Jalen Smith, a combo guard that reminds you of Carsen Edwards in Eric Ayala, and a really, really good scoring wing in Aaron Wiggins and we have something there.

Iowa - they return everyone from a team that had the 19th best Adj offense in the nation last year, per KenPom. They simply need to improve on defense (they certainly will, just how much is the key) and Fran needs to quit playing 3 bigs together at once(remains to be seen).

Wisconsin - They have one of the best college basketball players in the past 20-30 years or so (or maybe of all time)in Ethan Happ. Kobe King and Dmitrik Trice return from injury. Breakout freshman from last year Brad Davison now has 2 healthy shoulders instead of one. They bruned a redshirt on Nathan Reuvers who, after starting horribly, flashed D potential as a center who blocks shots and can hopefully space the floor for Happ to dominate inside with a higher 3 point % this season. Aleem Ford is a 3 and D player who fits perfectly with Happ. Khalil Iverson is amongst the most versatile defensive players in the nation.

Reactions: bigassmoney
Illinois - theyll constantly have 3 guards on the floor at all times who can handle, pass, and either get into the lane or shoot (or both). Add in they have budding star Kipper Nichols at the 4 and the sheer pace theyll play with the pressure they can put on ball handlers is going to overwhelm teams on defense to go along with those matchup nightmares. I have them as a surprise NCAA tournament team if they remain healthy.

Nebraska - their teams starting lineup is loaded. Isaiah Roby, Glynn Watson, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland. They can switch screens, have defensive versatility, and score in a number of ways.

Maryland - Anthony Cowan is the best pure point guard in the nation. 2 way player who is great on both sides. BRUNO is a budding star who is flat out too explosive physically for most teams. Throw in a recruiting clasd that fits perfectly with a guy who can play stretch 4 in Jalen Smith, a combo guard that reminds you of Carsen Edwards in Eric Ayala, and a really, really good scoring wing in Aaron Wiggins and we have something there.

Iowa - they return everyone from a team that had the 19th best Adj offense in the nation last year, per KenPom. They simply need to improve on defense (they certainly will, just how much is the key) and Fran needs to quit playing 3 bigs together at once(remains to be seen).

Wisconsin - They have one of the best college basketball players in the past 20-30 years or so (or maybe of all time)in Ethan Happ. Kobe King and Dmitrik Trice return from injury. Breakout freshman from last year Brad Davison now has 2 healthy shoulders instead of one. They bruned a redshirt on Nathan Reuvers who, after starting horribly, flashed D potential as a center who blocks shots and can hopefully space the floor for Happ to dominate inside with a higher 3 point % this season. Aleem Ford is a 3 and D player who fits perfectly with Happ. Khalil Iverson is amongst the most versatile defensive players in the nation.
I’m intrigued by Illinois for no other reason than someone calling it the dildo shaped state. Still kills me.

Ethan Haap, maybe the best player of all-time? One of the best in the past 20-30 years? I mean when you say, "one of the best", are you compiling a list of the Top 100 players, and listing Haap somewhere around 99?

I mean, why do you say this type of stuff? Do you really believe Haap might be the best CBB of All-time? And spare me stats...OK? I don't care what his eFG% is...Or his Per...Or his TS%....Blah, blah and blah...

I mean c'mon, man.

I mean you give really good insight----Then say that?

Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: herrli
I will give you one.

Nevada- The way they can switch on D is crazy plus their ability to all shoot and create.
They added some size so I think at times they can play with a 5.

I truthfully think they can win the whole thing. At the least be for sure an Elite 8 team.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Do you really believe Haap might be the best CBB of All-time? And spare me stats...OK? I don't care what his eFG% is...Or his Per...Or his TS%....Blah, blah and blah...

"Tell me why you think Happ is as good as you do but spare me evidence why you think that."

Ok? What else am I supposed to use here Borden.

Reactions: AUnit
Happ is statistically one of the best CBB players in recent memory, but his lack of shooting probably takes away a bit of his statistical value (not as much of a gravity/spacing pull)

Reactions: KisteK
"Tell me why you think Happ is as good as you do but spare me evidence why you think that."

Ok? What else am I supposed to use here Borden.
Maybe use your eyes----instead of Kenpom? Something like, "He's a dominant low post presence, with great skills. Great footwork. Reminds me of...............

Instead of...........

His career win share is 15.6...His per 40 numbers are better than such and such..

Stats are great, man. They are. But they don't tell all. Ethan Haap's stats ,PPG/Rebounds, are better than AD's. Are you telling me those two are on par? That's why I said spare me the stats. Instead of giving your opinion of a player, i.e. good shooter, dominant post moves, smooth, etc, etc...You give shooting percentages. That's why stats are not a tell all.

BTW.....

On NO planet is Ethan Haap possibly the best CBB player of all-time. Or one of the best the past 20-30 years. Just no, man. He's had a fantastic career. But dude can't hit a shot outside of 6-feet, and or a free throw.

Jesus.

Happ is statistically one of the best CBB players in recent memory, but his lack of shooting probably takes away a bit of his statistical value (not as much of a gravity/spacing pull)
Sure he is, statistically. Hell I can list a ton of players with great stats. Doesn't make them quite possibly the best CBB player of ALL-time.

THink about that----Greatest CBB player ever is possibly Ethan Haap?

Laughing

I laugh my ass off typing that.

Nice list, OP
Fun teams

I'll go
UNC
LSU
Michigan
Syracuse
Virginia

I usually (always) have a preseason list of about 20 teams that I'll mostly follow throughout the season. I watched so many SJU games last season, so much talent.. couldn't win late. Coaching and chemistry..
Agree about Justin Simon and really hope they get Heron pushed through. Too bad Owens moved on.

Reactions: shun1
Maybe use your eyes----instead of Kenpom? Something like, "He's a dominant low post presence, with great skills. Great footwork. Reminds me of...............

Instead of...........

His career win share is 15.6...His per 40 numbers are better than such and such..

Stats are great, man. They are. But they don't tell all. Ethan Haap's stats ,PPG/Rebounds, are better than AD's. Are you telling me those two are on par? That's why I said spare me the stats. Instead of giving your opinion of a player, i.e. good shooter, dominant post moves, smooth, etc, etc...You give shooting percentages. That's why stats are not a tell all.

BTW.....

On NO planet is Ethan Haap possibly the best CBB player of all-time. Or one of the best the past 20-30 years. Just no, man. He's had a fantastic career. But dude can't hit a shot outside of 6-feet, and or a free throw.

Jesus.

You can easily argue that happ in college was better than Anthony Davis as a freshman, nba potential is meaningless in this discussion

Reactions: BabaySharkk
You can easily argue that happ in college was better than Anthony Davis as a freshman, nba potential is meaningless in this discussion
Better than the national player of the year (AP, Naismith, Robertson, Rupp, Sporting News, Wooden), defensive player of the year, and NCAA tourney most outstanding player....as a freshman. Interesting take.

No offense but I am 64 years old and seen a lot of good basketball players.

I saw Pete Maravich's first bball game as a college player in Austin and will never forget it.
The guy was magic with the ball. Not saying he was the best college basketball player ever but he was by far better than Ethan Happ.

I don't think anyone in 50 years will be still talking about him and remembering him playing.

Better than the national player of the year (AP, Naismith, Robertson, Rupp, Sporting News, Wooden), defensive player of the year, and NCAA tourney most outstanding player....as a freshman. Interesting take.
Yah... this Ethan Happ argument is the dumbest take here in a while. Almost as bad as Illinois being an interesting team to watch this year.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
He really did have just about the most perfect season in recent CBB history. But I think the argument for Happ is like the who had the better career, Issel or Davis argument.

He really did have just about the most perfect season in recent CBB history. But I think the argument for Happ is like the who had the better career, Issel or Davis argument.
Davis vs Issel debate will continue with UK fans for decades to come.

Definitely going to watch a lot of Gonzaga and Nevada games. Both teams are crazy, crazy stacked. Martin twins are both All-American candidates. Jordan Brown should provide a lot of versatility... Hachumura for the Zags is expected to breakout this year as a star. Killian Tillie is arguably the best-shooting big man in the country... I'm curious to see how Brandon Clarke, 1st Team All-Mountain West transfer, will fit into rotation. He's supposed to be a freak athlete.

A few other teams:

LSU- Waters is a National POY Candidate. I'm really excited to see Naz Reid and Emmitt Williams in the post. Those are some serious bruisers in the post.

West Virginia- Konate!! Seriously, he's enough reason for me to watch. I'll never forget his block on Mikal Bridges. Full-court press is fun, too!

TCU- I think they're going to surprise a lot of people. Their top 3 returning scorers (Bane, Fisher, Noi) all shot north of 43% from 3. Throw in Alex Robinson and 4 Redshirt Freshmen and you got yourself a very solid team.

Washington- I'm fully on the Washington bandwagon this year. They have just about everyone back - and I think Jaylen Nowell could explode this year with potential Pac-12 POY honors, maybe even All-American status.

Western Kentucky- I know Rick Stansbury has a bit of a shady reputation, but it's hard for me to root against mid-majors that are successful. Auburn grad transfer, Desean Murray, should provide an immediate spark. Throw in top-10 recruit Charles Bassey and returning scorer from last year, Taveion Hollingsworth. They will make some noise, no doubt in my mind.

Lastly, I'm gonna give some love to NC State. I think they have an obscene amount of talent in the backcourt. I fully believe guards are the difference makers between a good season and a great season. CJ Bryce and Torin Dorn are good enough to make 1st or 2nd Team All-ACC. Markell Johnson led the nation in assists per 40 minutes. Devon Daniels shot 57% from the floor, as a 6'5 wing (Utah transfer). Braxton Beverly and Blake Harris should also be solid... My only concern is the post. Manny Bates is out for the season. Not sure how good Wyatt Walker (Samford Grad transfer) or DJ Funderburk (formerly at Ohio State) will be.

nc_state_zpsyby3yd4a.jpg

Definitely going to watch a lot of Gonzaga and Nevada games. Both teams are crazy, crazy stacked. Martin twins are both All-American candidates. Jordan Brown should provide a lot of versatility... Hachumura for the Zags is expected to breakout this year as a star. Killian Tillie is arguably the best-shooting big man in the country... I'm curious to see how Brandon Clarke, 1st Team All-Mountain West transfer, will fit into rotation. He's supposed to be a freak athlete.

A few other teams:

LSU- Waters is a National POY Candidate. I'm really excited to see Naz Reid and Emmitt Williams in the post. Those are some serious bruisers in the post.

West Virginia- Konate!! Seriously, he's enough reason for me to watch. I'll never forget his block on Mikal Bridges. Full-court press is fun, too!

TCU- I think they're going to surprise a lot of people. Their top 3 returning scorers (Bane, Fisher, Noi) all shot north of 43% from 3. Throw in Alex Robinson and 4 Redshirt Freshmen and you got yourself a very solid team.

Washington- I'm fully on the Washington bandwagon this year. They have just about everyone back - and I think Jaylen Nowell could explode this year with potential Pac-12 POY honors, maybe even All-American status.

Western Kentucky- I know Rick Stansbury has a bit of a shady reputation, but it's hard for me to root against mid-majors that are successful. Auburn grad transfer, Desean Murray, should provide an immediate spark. Throw in top-10 recruit Charles Bassey and returning scorer from last year, Taveion Hollingsworth. They will make some noise, no doubt in my mind.

Lastly, I'm gonna give some love to NC State. I think they have an obscene amount of talent in the backcourt. I fully believe guards are the difference makers between a good season and a great season. CJ Bryce and Torin Dorn are good enough to make 1st or 2nd Team All-ACC. Markell Johnson led the nation in assists per 40 minutes. Devon Daniels shot 57% from the floor, as a 6'5 wing (Utah transfer). Braxton Beverly and Blake Harris should also be solid... My only concern is the post. Manny Bates is out for the season. Not sure how good Wyatt Walker (Samford Grad transfer) or DJ Funderburk (formerly at Ohio State) will be.

nc_state_zpsyby3yd4a.jpg
Gonzaga
Nevada
Washington

You're gonna be staying up until 1:00 AM a bunch this year, buddy.

shit like this is why I know I'm going to be ok in the long run having no clue about advanced stats.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
so many to choose from. Can't pick LSU since that's one of my two teams. Nevada is a great choice. They are F4 loaded. Surprised no one has listed Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. They may be obvious, but as a neutral those 3 teams intrigue me more than just about any team out there. All those new faces to go along with top 5 rankings? Very interested to see who develops as the top players on those teams.

Yup! I actually stay up til 1 AM on most nights, to be honest.

Also, I DVR 30-40 games a week, so I don't always watch everything live. DVR is the way to go, for sure. I can watch a complete game in 45-50 minutes.

We're like CBB fan twins. Except for the staying up late part, we do the same thing.

But, I take it one step further. Invented what I call the Sports Ticker Blocker, basically just a long piece of 3 inch thick black ribbon that I Velcro to the back of my TV. When a game is on and I'm taping other games at the same time I pull the ribbon out from behind the tv and cover up the sports ticker on the bottom of the page. Velcro attaches to other side of tv. Now I can watch 20 games on a Saturday and never get the results spoiled.

We're like CBB fan twins. Except for the staying up late part, we do the same thing.

But, I take it one step further. Invented what I call the Sports Ticker Blocker, basically just a long piece of 3 inch thick black ribbon that I Velcro to the back of my TV. When a game is on and I'm taping other games at the same time I pull the ribbon out from behind the tv and cover up the sports ticker on the bottom of the page. Velcro attaches to other side of tv. Now I can watch 20 games on a Saturday and never get the results spoiled.

I sometimes tape a long strip of paper across my tv to avoid the ticker. I don't do that often, but it's certainly necessary when you have multiple games you want to watch from start to finish.

I like the velcro idea, though. That's a nice touch.

Yup! I actually stay up til 1 AM on most nights, to be honest.

Also, I DVR 30-40 games a week, so I don't always watch everything live. DVR is the way to go, for sure. I can watch a complete game in 45-50 minutes.

DVR is like, the 3rd greatest invention of all time. Not having to watch mind numbing commercials like the "doctor" from the Addiction Network is key to max enjoyment during TV time.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I sometimes tape a long strip of paper across my tv to avoid the ticker. I don't do that often, but it's certainly necessary when you have multiple games you want to watch from start to finish.

I like the velcro idea, though. That's a nice touch.

Really easy and you'll wish you did it sooner. Just go to craft store and buy the ribbon and the double sided Velcro. I put the Velcro on the top and bottom of the back of the tv because during the tourney CBS likes to run a ticker on the top of the tv.

DVR is like, the 3rd greatest invention of all time. Not having to watch mind numbing commercials like the "doctor" from the Addiction Network is key to max enjoyment during TV time.

I'll do you one better. you can also eliminate mind numbing free throws or the times between the whistles and the ball being in play again for all stoppages. after stoppages I fast forward until the shot clock is under 20.

I can watch a full NCAA game in 30 minutes with selective use of the fast forward button.

I'll do you one better. you can also eliminate mind numbing free throws or the times between the whistles and the ball being in play again for all stoppages. after stoppages I fast forward until the shot clock is under 20.

I can watch a full NCAA game in 30 minutes with selective use of the fast forward button.

I'm with you on all the stoppage time. I only watch free throws if it's a truly meaningful foul shot in the closing minute.

Ha, I use Netflix return envelopes. Laughing Just line them up along the bottom.
^That's in my room^
In the bedroom tho (wall mount), I tend to mostly listen to games vs watch them anyway.
Will have to look into a *checks post* Sports Ticker Blocker.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Ha, I use Netflix return envelopes. Laughing Just line them up along the bottom.
^That's in my room^
In the bedroom tho (wall mount), I tend to mostly listen to games vs watch them anyway.
Will have to look into a *checks post* Sports Ticker Blocker.

yea I used to stack things up along the bottom of the tv as well. Get yourself a Sports Ticker Blocker, takes less than 5 minutes to make and your only regret will be that you didn't think of it yourself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT