ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

Yah if there was a college draft.

You seem like a level-headed Purdue fan, which is refreshing. I think your team last year wasn’t overly skilled, but had a ton of highly experienced smart players. They are now gone. I think Carson Edwards can help, but in no way shape or form do I think your team is even close to the team it was last year. If Carson Edwards is “the best player in the nation”, then you should be pretty damn good and win the B1G.

It’s being discussed somewhere on the forums that a Purdue fan thought Eastern is better than Romeo. I know it doesn’t represent stable people, just having fun.
I think our team will be decent. If things fall into place then a potential top 25 at some point is a possibility. Definitely don't have the skill we had last year, but we will still have several shooters. Should hopefully be a little more athletic than last years team. Defensively I think we could be better because of that. Overall I figured we'd finish around 4th or 5th in the B10.

Very good player? Yes.

“Best player in the nation”? Not even close. You let coaches have a lottery for picking any player, and Carson Edwards is nowhere near the top of that list.

This Edwards hype train by Purdue fans is comical. He’s a great player. But let’s see how he does when he’s not surrounded by a 30-4 team.

Yah if there was a college draft.

You seem like a level-headed Purdue fan, which is refreshing. I think your team last year wasn’t overly skilled, but had a ton of highly experienced smart players. They are now gone. I think Carson Edwards can help, but in no way shape or form do I think your team is even close to the team it was last year. If Carson Edwards is “the best player in the nation”, then you should be pretty damn good and win the B1G.
The team with the second best offensive efficiency and three-point shooting percentage in the nation last year "wasn't overly skilled" and one of the three returning All-Americans and Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year award winner from a year ago is "nowhere near the top of [the] list" for best player in the country.

ok-then.gif

The team with the second best offensive efficiency and three-point shooting percentage in the nation last year "wasn't overly skilled" and one of the three returning All-Americans and Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year award winner from a year ago is "nowhere near the top of [the] list" for best player in the country.

ok-then.gif
we will see how you do this year. ill eat crow if need be.

What does that have to do with whether Carsen Edwards is one of the best players in the nation? Or your ridiculous assertion that one of the nation's best offenses "wasn't overly skilled?"
Was it "very skilled" players, or a product of the system---Or both? I'd say both. Carsen and Vince were "overly skilled". Mathias and Haas, not so much.

And yes, Carsen Edwards is and will be one of the best players in CBB. Very good player. But I'm not sure I'd call him the best player. Gonna be a lot of very, very good freshman..i.e. Wiliamson, Barrett, Langford, Little, Reddish, Johnson, etc, etc..And some soph's----Norvel, Hunter , etc, etc...Juniors and seniors(Paschall, Maye, Martin).

Ton of good ones. But make no mistake, I do think Carsen is one of them.

Why fortunate to make the final four? They had an excellent team. Trae Young would have played had he gone to KU but he would not have had the free hand he had at OU. I don't know how he will do as a pro, but in college he was a stud. But KU's guard tandem won back to back POY both in conference and out of conference. Young did not even get poy in the Big 12.

Fortunate because with (far) better teams, Kansas has done (far) worse.

Zfg about Young. He didn't pick Kansas so everything's speculation.
Besides, if I were allowed to add another viable body to 2017-18 Kansas, I would've picked a big.
Preferably one without a bunch of red flags.

Was it "very skilled" players, or a product of the system---Or both? I'd say both. Carsen and Vince were "overly skilled". Mathias and Haas, not so much.
What are you defining as "skilled?" Mathias was among the league leaders in three-point shooting, assists, steals, and assist-to-turnover ratio last year. What a bizarre argument.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
I had a discussion yesterday about that shot. Has to be a dagger in your soul.

It's crazy how amazingly close that shot almost went down. In-and-out... twice. The other painful thing to recollect is the fact that Wendell Carter air-balled a 5-foot hook shot with 50 seconds left. That would have put us up by 5. Oh well... at least we have 5 titles already.

grayson-kansas.jpg

It's crazy how amazingly close that shot almost went down. In-and-out... twice. The other painful thing to recollect is the fact that Wendell Carter air-balled a 5-foot hook shot with 50 seconds left. That would have put us up by 5. Oh well... at least we have 5 titles already.

grayson-kansas.jpg
This was the Grayson Allen floater that me he missed with a few seconds, right? Svi did a really good job of blocking out Bagley who was going for the rebound. Had he not positioned himself the way he did Bagley likely tips that ball in and game over.

Even if KU loses that still goes down as one of my favorite games ever to watch. I can honestly say I hadn't been that emotional during a game since the 2008 Elite Eight against Davidson. It's a shame that somebody had to lose.

This was the Grayson Allen floater that me he missed with a few seconds, right? Svi did a really good job of blocking out Bagley who was going for the rebound. Had he not positioned himself the way he did Bagley likely tips that ball in and game over.

Even if KU loses that still goes down as one of my favorite games ever to watch. I can honestly say I hadn't been that emotional during a game since the 2008 Elite Eight against Davidson. It's a shame that somebody had to lose.

Yep. Svi did a fantastic job at bodying Bagley. When I saw it live, I really thought Bagley was going to tip-it in without too much difficulty. Definitely one of the best games of the tournament. I actually didn't delete it from my DVR recordings until just last month.

I remember watching Davidson play Duke in person earlier that season. It was pretty evident to me that Steph Curry was easily the best player on the court.. They gave Kansas a good run, no doubt.

What does that have to do with whether Carsen Edwards is one of the best players in the nation? Or your ridiculous assertion that one of the nation's best offenses "wasn't overly skilled?"
Your beloved Cardenas edwards, I repeat, is not even close to the best player in the country IMO. To me that means Top 10 player in the country. You best hope he’s 1st team All American (at the very least second team) before we come back to this.

Do I think it’s possible? Of course. Do I think it happens? No.

Last edited:
Your beloved Cardenas edwards, I repeat, is not even close to the best player in the country IMO. To me that means Top 10 player in the country. You best hope he’s 1st team All American (at the very least second team) before we come back to this.
Link: Bob Cousy Watch List
Link: Blue Ribbon Preseason NPOY
Link: Preseason B1G POY
Link: NBC Sports Preseason All-American
Link: BustingBrackets No. 3 NPOY Candidate

Trust me when I say I'm not "fan-boying" Purdue here. I think Purdue's likely ceiling is a fringe top-25 ranking and a win (or two) in the NCAA tournament.

But I'd love to know who are the 10 college basketball players you would draft ahead of Carsen Edwards. He's going to be a consensus first-team All-American in the preseason, and in all likelihood will be an All-American at season's end. I don't understand how he "is not even close to the best player in the country." I'm not even saying he is the best. But he's a top-10 player in the country.

What does that list look like?

Trust me when I say I'm not "fan-boying" Purdue here. I think Purdue's likely ceiling is a fringe top-25 ranking and a win (or two) in the NCAA tournament.

But I'd love to know who are the 10 college basketball players you would draft ahead of Carsen Edwards. He's going to be a consensus first-team All-American in the preseason, and in all likelihood will be an All-American at season's end. I don't understand how he "is not even close to the best player in the country." I'm not even saying he is the best. But he's a top-10 player in the country.

I wouldn't go with "who are the 10 college basketball players you would draft ahead of Carsen Edwards" because I think that's an easy question to answer. Now, if you said name 10 college basketball players who are better/more impactful than Carsen Edwards, I think that's a totally different story. I would bet a lot of money Casen Edwards won't get drafted in the Lottery or close to it. Not a knock on him. Just look at Frank Mason or Yogi Ferrell. Dominant college players not drafted in the lottery or close to it.

Time will tell. If you want a look at other good players, just look up “top college B.B. players list” on google. There’s a handful of freshmen coming in I would take over him. There’s a handful of seniors as well.

Your compadre literally said he’s “the best player in the country”. That’s a helluva statement.

I think he’s a good player who benefited from a great experienced team. If you can’t understand that, we will just have to wait and see what happens this year with a lesser team. He will get his numbers, but will he be efficient when he’s the focus of the opposing team? That’s my question. I’m not a fortune teller, but I have my opinion. It’s probably biased from DA Purdue fan posters overhyping player after player each year.

I wouldn't go with "who are the 10 college basketball players you would draft ahead of Carsen Edwards" because I think that's an easy question to answer. Now, if you said name 10 college basketball players who are better/more impactful than Carsen Edwards, I think that's a totally different story. I would bet a lot of money Casen Edwards won't get drafted in the Lottery or close to it. Not a knock on him. Just look at Frank Mason or Yogi Ferrell. Dominant college players not drafted in the lottery or close to it.

You're missing the point big time. The question wasn't who would get drafted fro the NBA, the question was who would get drafted if there was a draft for this season of college basketball.

You're missing the point big time. The question wasn't who would get drafted fro the NBA, the question was who would get drafted if there was a draft for this season of college basketball.
Ah. Didn't read the whole thread. If that's the case, then it's basically my second point of the 10 more impactful/better college players than Edwards. I conceded he's likely to start and end up in the top 10.

I was referring to a college basketball draft - as that was what they had been debating earlier ITT. I don't see him as more than a late first round NBA pick, even if he has a NPOY-type season.

Reactions: KisteK and SNU0821
Time will tell. If you want a look at other good players, just look up “top college B.B. players list” on google. There’s a handful of freshmen coming in I would take over him. There’s a handful of seniors as well.

Your compadre literally said he’s “the best player in the country”. That’s a helluva statement.

I think he’s a good player who benefited from a great experienced team. If you can’t understand that, we will just have to wait and see what happens this year with a lesser team. He will get his numbers, but will he be efficient when he’s the focus of the opposing team? That’s my question. I’m not a fortune teller, but I have my opinion. It’s probably biased from DA Purdue fan posters overhyping player after player each year.
Can you name the 10 college basketball players who are better than Carsen Edwards heading into this season?

I was referring to a college basketball draft - as that was what they had been debating earlier ITT. I don't see him as more than a late first round NBA pick, even if he has a NPOY-type season.
Yeah, didn't see that part of the convo. Knowing that, I agree with you that he's likely to be a top 10 type guy. There's always a chance he won't but odds are he will. I could see late first round with the right team and depending on the year, but I would think second round is more likely. Is he 100% gone after this year?

Yeah, didn't see that part of the convo. Knowing that, I agree with you that he's likely to be a top 10 type guy. There's always a chance he won't but odds are he will. I could see late first round with the right team and depending on the year, but I would think second round is more likely. Is he 100% gone after this year?
The pragmatist in me says he probably has to go - similar to Swanigan two years ago. His physical profile isn't going to change, and it seems like the longer guys stick in college, the more their draft evaluations become about picking holes in their game rather than emphasizing the upside (similar to Doncic this year, IMO). Even if he doesn't get first-round grades, second-rounders are getting guaranteed deals and I think he could fight his way onto a roster.

But I'd really like to see him as a senior with a more veteran roster in 19-20, especially if Purdue can lock up a guy like Malik Hall.

Can you name the 10 college basketball players who are better than Carsen Edwards heading into this season?

He's going to try and continue to move the goalposts. Earlier he already started backtracking when he said that what he meant by Edwards "not even being close to the best player in the country" was that he wouldn't be first team AA.

I think the rest of us can all agree that he had a much different tone to his argument earlier and was clearly saying that Edwards wouldn't be anywhere near anyone's top 10 list at season's end. I think we can all agree that being a top 10 player in the country puts you pretty close to being the best player.

He's going to try and continue to move the goalposts. Earlier he already started backtracking when he said that what he meant by Edwards "not even being close to the best player in the country" was that he wouldn't be first team AA.

I think the rest of us can all agree that he had a much different tone to his argument earlier and was clearly saying that Edwards wouldn't be anywhere near anyone's top 10 list at season's end. I think we can all agree that being a top 10 player in the country puts you pretty close to being the best player.
Turdue gonna blow.

The point is you made an indefensible hot take and got called on it.
Not indefensible, I just don’t have to defend it. Look at the Top 6 freshmen and some notable seniors throughout the ACC/B1G/SEC and you’ll find players I would take over CE.

I could not care less what you think. You obviously care what I do. By all means keep thinking CE is the best player in the country. I don’t agree, at all.

I to didn't see this. Changes things a ton.

Heading into the season---Probably not. By the end, or even midway---probably so. Again, freshman. I mean it's really hard for me to put a kid like Zion, Barret, Langford,Reddish, Johnson, Bol Bol, etc, etc...in front of him. But by mid-season, or at the end---Meh, won't be as hard. Couple that with plyers like Luke Maye, Cody Martin, Ethan Happ, Tyus Battle, etc, etc...I mean, it's a ton closer than you think.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
Are you really unable to distinguish between skill and size/athleticism?

Was Damon Bailey overly skilled?
If Mathias or even Haas, was as skilled as Bailey, they'd be millionaires. Bailey's knees kept him form the NBA...Not his skill set.

Do I think it’s possible? Of course. Do I think it happens? No.
I believe Carsen Edwards is a top 10 college basketball player this season.
But, I also believe that others might not believe.
I think those non-believers are somewhat crazy, but in the preseason it's okay to be nuts.

Just curious, what do you do for a living?
I hope wherever he works they allow him a vessel to blow off some of that hot air.

For now, someone give that shitbreath a tic-tac.
My eyes are burning.

I believe Carsen Edwards is a top 10 college basketball player this season.
But, I also believe that others might not believe.
I think those non-believers are somewhat crazy, but in the preseason it's okay to be nuts.

I hope wherever he works they allow him a vessel to blow off some of that hot air.

For now, someone give that shitbreath a tic-tac.
My eyes are burning.
Thats fair. People are acting like me thinking he might be outside the Top 10 players in all of CBB is some sort of huge knock on him. He's a great player. That being said, no way do I believe he is "the best player in the country".

No offense but I am 64 years old and seen a lot of good basketball players.

I saw Pete Maravich's first bball game as a college player in Austin and will never forget it.
The guy was magic with the ball. Not saying he was the best college basketball player ever but he was by far better than Ethan Happ.

I don't think anyone in 50 years will be still talking about him and remembering him playing.
Highly doubt any player will ever come close to Pete's scoring record either especially with the 1 and done going on.

Thats fair. People are acting like me thinking he might be outside the Top 10 players in all of CBB is some sort of huge knock on him. He's a great player. That being said, no way do I believe he is "the best player in the country".
Don't you think there's quite a bit of room between best in the country and a top 10 player?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT