ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

I think the IU guys here are making valid points. IU will definitely be much improved this year. Where some of you continue to fail is to give Painter credit where it's due. He won the B10 two years ago and had a 30 win team this year with three 3*'s and one 4* player. He tends to get more out of less. Painter as a coach needs to become a better recruiter and his X's and O's need to get better IMO, but typically he gets his guys to play over their ranking. He does have higher rated talent on this team now than he has in nearly a decade. They are young though so there will be a learning curve. Defensively this team should be pretty good. Our weakest point on D last year was Haas trying to switch on screens and he wasn't exactly a shot blocker. That's completely different with Haarms. Mathias will be missed on the perimeter, but Eastern has shown he could be a really good defender. The IU/PU matchup this year could be a very interesting one. I'd give the edge to IU offensively and the edge to PU defensively.
I agree that Painter generally gets more out of his recruits than most coaches. I dont necessarily agree that your current team has higher rated talent than it has in a decade. If I'm seeing this correctly, Purdue has 1 top 100 recruit on the team (Eastern). Of the 6 new guys, there are five 3* players with one 100+ ranked 4*. By my calculation, that means Purdue has a total of three 4* guys on the team (Eastern, Edwards, and Wheeler). I wouldn't exactly call that Painters highest rated team in a decade.

Reactions: SNU0821
Nah. Neither would, IMO. Who would Eastern play over? Romeo? Hardly. Smith? No chance. Hunter? Maybe but not a given. McRoberts? I’d personally take McRoberts over Eastern as well. At least McRoberts can hit some outside shots. Cline? A catch and shoot guard that doesn’t play great defense isn’t something I think we need. And again, who’s he gonna play over? Romeo? Lol...
So a 6'6 point guard that can defend and rebound wouldn't play at all. Gotcha

I'll agree with Cline as of right now based on what we've seen so far from him. He's been injured quite a bit though so we don't know how he will do. I'm going to wait and see. Some seem to forget that Cline was the runner up for Mr Basketball in Indiana his senior year.

Last edited:
So a 6'6 point guard that can defend and rebound wouldn't play at all. Gotcha
Not at IU this year. Certainly not as a starter. Maybe some backup minutes, but how much would be debatable.

And look, the same size from Eastern is pretty small. But from what I did see, his terrible shot and average AT ratio, it's not something that would generate a ton of minutes at IU. He may be better this year, but based on what I saw last year, no chance he would play a lot.

Hell, we're hearing great things about Phinese.

I agree that Painter generally gets more out of his recruits than most coaches. I dont necessarily agree that your current team has higher rated talent than it has in a decade. If I'm seeing this correctly, Purdue has 1 top 100 recruit on the team (Eastern). Of the 6 new guys, there are five 3* players with one 100+ ranked 4*. By my calculation, that means Purdue has a total of three 4* guys on the team (Eastern, Edwards, and Wheeler). I wouldn't exactly call that Painters highest rated team in a decade.
We have 4 4* players. Haarms was a 3* mostly because he wasn't available as much to be evaluated properly. I think after seeing how he did his Freshman year he had the potential to also have been a 4*. Until the class with Haas, Edwards, Thompson and Mathias Purdue has some struggles. So my assessment may have been off a tad, but it's not far off.

We have 4 4* players. Haarms was a 3* mostly because he wasn't available as much to be evaluated properly. I think after seeing how he did his Freshman year he had the potential to also have been a 4*. Until the class with Haas, Edwards, Thompson and Mathias Purdue has some struggles. So my assessment may have been off a tad, but it's not far off.
So now we're adjusting the rankings of players based on your opinion?

Not at IU this year. Certainly not as a starter. Maybe some backup minutes, but how much would be debatable.

And look, the same size from Eastern is pretty small. But from what I did see, his terrible shot and average AT ratio, it's not something that would generate a ton of minutes at IU. He may be better this year, but based on what I saw last year, no chance he would play a lot.

Hell, we're hearing great things about Phinese.
I wasn't saying he'd start. Just that he would play.

You cant just place a 4* tag on Haarms haha. He was a 350+ rated recruit. With your logic, after seeing how Eastern and Wheeler played last year, you can downgrade them to 3* status haha.

Just to be clear. 4 4* guys. Eastern, Edwards, Hunter and Williams. Haarms was an honorable mention, lol. Haarms would have made it 5 so I didn't say he WAS a 4 star.

Last edited:
You cant just place a 4* tag on Haarms haha. He was a 350+ rated recruit. With your logic, after seeing how Eastern and Wheeler played last year, you can downgrade them to 3* status haha.
I didn't. I said you could make the argument, but I didn't say he was. I don't even remember seeing Wheeler play at all. Based on Eastern's FT form I'd make him a 2* lol.

Last edited:
Just to be clear. 4 4* guys. Eastern, Edwards, Wheeler and Williams. Haarms was an honorable mention, lol. Haarms would have made it 5 so I didn't say he WAS a 4 star.
According to 247 composite, Williams is a 3*. That seems to lineup since it's being said that he wont play much this season...

Just to be clear. 4 4* guys. Eastern, Edwards, Wheeler and Williams. Haarms was an honorable mention, lol. Haarms would have made it 5 so I didn't say he WAS a 4 star.
Eastern and Edwards are the only 4* players. Wheeler and Williams both weren't 4* recruits.

Eastern and Edwards are the only 4* players. Wheeler and Williams both weren't 4* recruits.
Based off of one site. The other says they are. In the end, I think we are splitting hairs. Ratings aren't the end all of determining production. Again, look at how the prior senior class performed. Only 1 4*.

I'm looking right off of Purdue's website. Rivals has him as a 4*.
247 composite takes into account all recruiting services. That makes it the most accurate for how a player is perceived.

Also, if you want to use Rivals, then Wheeler isnt a 4* haha.

247 composite takes into account all recruiting services. That makes it the most accurate for how a player is perceived.

Also, if you want to use Rivals, then Wheeler isnt a 4* haha.
Know what, you're right. I made a mistake. I wrote Wheeler and meant Hunter. Hunter is the other 4*. I corrected that in my post above.

Based off of one site. The other says they are. In the end, I think we are splitting hairs. Ratings aren't the end all of determining production. Again, look at how the prior senior class performed. Only 1 4*.
The composite rankings don't have either Williams or Wheeler as 4* recruits. One site may have them but overall, they're not 4* overall.

Know what, you're right. I made a mistake. I wrote Wheeler and meant Hunter. Hunter is the other 4*. I corrected that in my post above.
That would make more sense. Either way, I think you would agree that this team is not as talented as last years team.

PJ = Eastern (PJ better offensively and fundamentally, Eastern better defensively and rebounding)
Carsen = Carsen
Mathias > Cline
Vince >>>>>> Eifert
Haas > Haarms

Had he not redshirted, yeah
Well...Vince is gone now, and he isnt a redshirt anymore. Why is he still not going to play ahead of Eifert?

To me that says that last year not only was he playing behind Vince, but that he wasnt good enough to take minutes from Eifert either. Not a great look.

Well...Vince is gone now, and he isnt a redshirt anymore. Why is he still not going to play ahead of Eifert?

To me that says that last year not only was he playing behind Vince, but that he wasnt good enough to take minutes from Eifert either. Not a great look.
Same reason McBob will be playing more minutes than guys who are more talented than him this year.

Reactions: KisteK
That would make more sense. Either way, I think you would agree that this team is not as talented as last years team.

PJ = Eastern (PJ better offensively and fundamentally, Eastern better defensively and rebounding)
Carsen = Carsen
Mathias > Cline
Vince >>>>>> Eifert
Haas > Haarms
I guess it depends on how you define talent. If you mean current ability and skill level yes. If by potential, that's yet to be determined.

Steals aren't always an accurate metric to judge defense by, especially when he plays half his games in the Kohl Center where he never gets called for fouls.
In conference games last year, Happ was called for 24 fouls in home games and 25 fouls in road games.

Not taking any stance on any of the other issues being discussed, but thought those were germane stats to the debate.

In conference games last year, Happ was called for 24 fouls in home games and 25 fouls in road games.

Not taking any stance on any of the other issues being discussed, but thought those were germane stats to the debate.
I'm going to make it short, Mgkbb made a comment about Happ being one of the top 20-30 college players all time. I simply don't think he is. That isn't to say he isn't a good player, but to me that statement is absurd.

From a metric standpoint Happ is fantastic.

Most people know you need more than metrics to crown a Best In Show, but it's his circus.

He may not have a sexy name or be on a sexy team (Sorry Wisky fans), but Ethan Happ is a really, really good college basketball player. But, borderline hilarious to think him as best ever when the dude can't hit much of anything outside the paint (spare me the video of him hitting that three last season).

I'll save my "Best Player Ever" for another.

1. You forgot Devonte Green: 7.6 ppg

2. One, really good recruit? Jerome Hunter is a Top 50 kid. Maybe not "really good". But, meh, pretty damn good. BTW, how many "really good recruits" you guys bring in?

3. Again, what is it with this, "playing on a 30 win team", shit? What does that have to do with anything?

Riding the bench on a 16 win team is usually less encouraging than riding the bench on a 30 win team.

Uh, again, not agreeing with you. You absolutely claimed that we lost so many points prior to last year and lost so many guys. Weren’t bringing in any major contributors, blah blah blah. You said there wasn’t any reason to believe we would be any better than we were the prior year. We were projected by most to finish 10th or so. You claimed we wouldn’t finish higher than the prior year. We finished 6th. You were wrong, shocker. Not surprised you don’t remember. I wouldnt Want to remember that garbage take either.
No I claimed you wouldn’t be any better and you weren’t.

Cline, Lol. Eastern? Lulz. Eifert? LOL! None of those guys would see any minutes, none, on IU’s team this year.
What a homer statement. Haarms would start for IU as you don’t have a center. You also don’t have a projected starter over Green at point and I can assure you that Nojel is better defensively than anyone on your team.

Nah. Neither would, IMO. Who would Eastern play over? Romeo? Hardly. Smith? No chance. Hunter? Maybe but not a given. McRoberts? I’d personally take McRoberts over Eastern as well. At least McRoberts can hit some outside shots. Cline? A catch and shoot guard that doesn’t play great defense isn’t something I think we need. And again, who’s he gonna play over? Romeo? Come on man. You know they wouldn't play much.
Clone would start as well. You have no deep threats. You’re just being a homer now.

ADVERTISEMENT