ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

Well Purdue finished lower in the B10 and didn’t make it further in the tournament. Doesn’t seem like I was wrong. One thing I was wrong about Purdue last year was the offensive efficiency. I didnt Think they would be as efficient on offense. I was wrong. As for IU, they were better. They finished higher in the B10 than everyone predicted. So I was more right than wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
You make fun of my takes and this is what you post? The league those two years were completely different. You finished higher last year because outside of the top 4 teams, the B1G was horrible. Even with a down league, you were only able to pull off 9 wins and none against tourney teams. The Purdue finish was something as simple as one year we played MSU at home and one we played them on the road.
Finish is a horrible way to judge a team and pretty stupid when you try and spin last years finish into an improvement. You finished the year losing 6 of your last 10 games and had no post season play. You know your team was horrible when the NIT refuses to invite you with the fanbase and spending IU has.

You and Borden are Homer’s and pretty bad at making predictions.

Why don’t you grace us with your predictions for this year?

I’ll make it simple for you both.
2017 Indiana final Kenpom 44.
2018 Indiana final Kenpom 71.

Homer’s gonna homer

Reactions: KisteK
You make fun of my takes and this is what you post? The league those two years were completely different. You finished higher last year because outside of the top 4 teams, the B1G was horrible. Even with a down league, you were only able to pull off 9 wins and none against tourney teams. The Purdue finish was something as simple as one year we played MSU at home and one we played them on the road.
Finish is a horrible way to judge a team and pretty stupid when you try and spin last years finish into an improvement. You finished the year losing 6 of your last 10 games and had no post season play. You know your team was horrible when the NIT refuses to invite you with the fanbase and spending IU has.

You and Borden are Homer’s and pretty bad at making predictions.

Ohhhhh, so IU only finished sixth because the league was bad but Purdue finished that high because they were amazing and their role players really gained valuable experience beating those bad teams? Lulz. Not sure it gets any dumber. You keep amazing me with your idiotic posts. You’re like the new MJ18 but worse. Congrats on that.

I think IU will be top four/five in the B10, make the tournament and will be better than Purdue. Simple, really.

I’ll make it simple for you both.
2017 Indiana final Kenpom 44.
2018 Indiana final Kenpom 71.

Homer’s gonna homer
I’ll make it simple for you. IU finished higher in the B10 last year. You said it wasn’t possible.

Idiots gonna idiot.

Pete uses the same logic year in and year out and gets embarrassed each year. One would think he’d change his approach after being exposed so many times. But it is clear he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed...

I mean, you honestly think Eastern and Cline would play at IU. Lulz. So dumb. There isn’t a chance either would.

The overall picture is that one team made the post season and one didn’t. Am I missing somthing?
Yeah, you are. But no matter, your bias won't allow you to see that. I mean you guys lost to WKU and Wisconsin. Neither made the tournament. Is it safe to say they were better than you, even though they missed the NCAAT?

Reactions: SNU0821
Pete uses the same logic year in and year out and gets embarrassed each year. One would think he’d change his approach after being exposed so many times. But it is clear he’s not the sharpest tool in the shed...

I mean, you honestly think Eastern and Cline would play at IU. Lulz. So dumb. There isn’t a chance either would.
You are deflecting again. My predictions last year and the year before were spot on, especially compared to yours.
You say I only look at past results and not ahead. You also say you work in futures, amirite? You may not know this, but if you work in futures, then you use predictive algorithms probably on a daily basis. I work on AI and I use them as well. Kenpom and other services like Kenpom use the same thing to make predictions. Why do you think so many areas use these types of algorithms if they aren’t more accurate than not? Have you ever heard of Bayes? You probably use his therom quite a bit and one would think you would know this if you do indeed work in futures.

Now I have admitted I called the top 100 defense wrong and I called the B1G champions a few years back wrong, but that’s it. I have been right on for the last two years and when compared to your predictions of Purdue dropping odd the map last year after losing Biggie and my favorite, player Z from Purdue wouldn’t get any minutes on an IU team, which you have done three years in a row now, to no avail, one would think you would stop trying to pick against me. You are wrong more often than not and if you plus that into Bayes, you will find that it’s likely that you are wrong again this year. You have nobody on your team who shoots well from deep, so yeah, Cline would play. Eastern is a 6’7” guard who can guard four positions. Archie runs packline and would love to have a guy with his size playing the point for him. I actually thin out of the guys you claim wouldn’t play for IU, Haarms is the guy I know would be a starter for IU. There is no doubt in my mind, bit of course, we shall see how Morgan does as a center while Davis continues to heal. My prediction, he struggles as a five.

Run along now and go google Bayes and maybe learn a little about the reason you make the decisions you make daily, that is, if indeed you really work in the field you claim.

Yeah, you are. But no matter, your bias won't allow you to see that. I mean you guys lost to WKU and Wisconsin. Neither made the tournament. Is it safe to say they were better than you, even though they missed the NCAAT?
I see you avoided the Kenpom numbers. Do you really think your eye test is more accurate than Kenpom? I assume you still think IU was better last year than the year before???

You make fun of my takes and this is what you post? The league those two years were completely different. You finished higher last year because outside of the top 4 teams, the B1G was horrible.
So is that why Purdue finished 3rd?

I see you avoided the Kenpom numbers. Do you really think your eye test is more accurate than Kenpom? I assume you still think IU was better last year than the year before???
Yes, I do. Indiana in 2016-17 was a time ranked 3rd; And as high as 5th in KenPom. They finished unranked, and 44th overall. 2018 IU was never ranked. Was as low as 126th in Kenpom. Finished 71st. So one team dropped 39 spots. The other improved some 50 spots. IU's bad start was just to much to overcome. IU's good start in 2017 is why they made the NIT.

Its not rocket science, brother. But go ahead., let the numbers do your talking. I guess if I had your basketball IQ, i'd leve my opinion out of it as well.

You are deflecting again. My predictions last year and the year before were spot on, especially compared to yours.
You say I only look at past results and not ahead. You also say you work in futures, amirite? You may not know this, but if you work in futures, then you use predictive algorithms probably on a daily basis. I work on AI and I use them as well. Kenpom and other services like Kenpom use the same thing to make predictions. Why do you think so many areas use these types of algorithms if they aren’t more accurate than not? Have you ever heard of Bayes? You probably use his therom quite a bit and one would think you would know this if you do indeed work in futures.

Now I have admitted I called the top 100 defense wrong and I called the B1G champions a few years back wrong, but that’s it. I have been right on for the last two years and when compared to your predictions of Purdue dropping odd the map last year after losing Biggie and my favorite, player Z from Purdue wouldn’t get any minutes on an IU team, which you have done three years in a row now, to no avail, one would think you would stop trying to pick against me. You are wrong more often than not and if you plus that into Bayes, you will find that it’s likely that you are wrong again this year. You have nobody on your team who shoots well from deep, so yeah, Cline would play. Eastern is a 6’7” guard who can guard four positions. Archie runs packline and would love to have a guy with his size playing the point for him. I actually thin out of the guys you claim wouldn’t play for IU, Haarms is the guy I know would be a starter for IU. There is no doubt in my mind, bit of course, we shall see how Morgan does as a center while Davis continues to heal. My prediction, he struggles as a five.

Run along now and go google Bayes and maybe learn a little about the reason you make the decisions you make daily, that is, if indeed you really work in the field you claim.
Never said I work in futures. Not sure where you got that.

Also, as for last year, I said Purdue wouldn’t win the league but would be top three or four. I said IU would be anywhere from 6-9th and would be on the bubble. I ultimately thought they would be on the right side of the bubble but I missed that. Everything else was spot on.

Not sure where you think I was way off. May want to go back and actually look at my predictions. The thing I was most off on, was Purdue’s offensive efficiency. Not wrong on much else.

You on the other hand...

Yeah---Morgan really struggled as a "5" last year. Struggled all the way to 16ppg, and a 2nd team All-Big 10 selection. Tell me---Where was Haas and Haarms located?

Finish is a horrible way to judge a team and pretty stupid when you try and spin last years finish into an improvement. You finished the year losing 6 of your last 10 games and had no post season play.

That 2016-17 teams lost 10 of their final 14.

Prediction? I think IU wins 22-23 games. Top 4-5 Finish. If some frosh produce, i.e. Hunter/Phinisee, that could better. We have some touch OOC games: @ Duke, @ Arkansas, and Marquette.

IU returns 5 of their Top 8 scorers. Borught in the Big 10's best recruiting class. I don't think its a stretch they are going to be pretty good.

Purdue lost 4 starters. Will heavily rely on basically role players to step in and contribute right away. Not sure you have any immediate, impact frosh. IU, IMO, has two: Langford/Hunter.

I feel Indiana finishes ahead of Purdue. Morgan is 1st team All-Big 10. Langford is FOY, and makes one of three teams.

Lost me on this response???? I'm assuming you are speaking of Cline? Like I said---Like the kid. I just don't see who's minutes, as of NOW, that he would take.
I don't know what's to be lost on. I'm saying go ahead and keep your position, I'll keep mine and we will revisit the convo when we have some in game data from this season.

Last edited:
That 2016-17 teams lost 10 of their final 14.

Prediction? I think IU wins 22-23 games. Top 4-5 Finish. If some frosh produce, i.e. Hunter/Phinisee, that could better. We have some touch OOC games: @ Duke, @ Arkansas, and Marquette.

IU returns 5 of their Top 8 scorers. Borught in the Big 10's best recruiting class. I don't think its a stretch they are going to be pretty good.

Purdue lost 4 starters. Will heavily rely on basically role players to step in and contribute right away. Not sure you have any immediate, impact frosh. IU, IMO, has two: Langford/Hunter.

I feel Indiana finishes ahead of Purdue. Morgan is 1st team All-Big 10. Langford is FOY, and makes one of three teams.
The top five scorers averaged 45 points per game last season and Davis was 10 of those points. Is he gonna play? Purdue returns 34 points per game which is basically equal to IU without Davis and McBob added in.

I don’t know who will finish ahead of who as we both have too many question marks. I do know the Purdue players are better defender than the returning IU players. I also know that IU will be playing guys out of position and have two alphas competing for the ball to show the NBA their skills. How that transpires, we don’t know yet. What we do know is that IU doesn’t return any shooters from deep. Fitz avaerged 2 per game and McBob 1 per game and the rest are about 30% shooters. That is an issue I don’t think you are taking into consideration. You can say Cline wouldn’t play, but if IU struggles due to no deep threats, than you may change your mind.

Either way, I see a tougher conference this year, even though we don’t really have any teams that stand out. So, we may see Nebraska or Maryland win their first title and it wouldn’t really be a huge surprise. The way the new schedule plays out will have a lot to do with how many teams finish compared to years past.

I think coaching will also play a huge role in the final standings and because of that, I am not ready to place IU ahead of MSU, Michigan, or Purdue who have coaches who have proven themselves in the league. Once Archie breaks through, I will be more willing to give him the same credit I give to those three coaches, but not this year. Last season was a bad year for the conference, and I felt IU had the players to win more games than they did. Perhaps it’s becuase Archie was new to the conference, but that would mean that this season will still have an IU coach who is new to the league and hasn’t shown he can beat the top coaches.

The top five scorers averaged 45 points per game last season and Davis was 10 of those points. Is he gonna play? Purdue returns 34 points per game which is basically equal to IU without Davis and McBob added in.

I don’t know who will finish ahead of who as we both have too many question marks. I do know the Purdue players are better defender than the returning IU players. I also know that IU will be playing guys out of position and have two alphas competing for the ball to show the NBA their skills. How that transpires, we don’t know yet. What we do know is that IU doesn’t return any shooters from deep. Fitz avaerged 2 per game and McBob 1 per game and the rest are about 30% shooters. That is an issue I don’t think you are taking into consideration. You can say Cline wouldn’t play, but if IU struggles due to no deep threats, than you may change your mind.

Either way, I see a tougher conference this year, even though we don’t really have any teams that stand out. So, we may see Nebraska or Maryland win their first title and it wouldn’t really be a huge surprise. The way the new schedule plays out will have a lot to do with how many teams finish compared to years past.

I think coaching will also play a huge role in the final standings and because of that, I am not ready to place IU ahead of MSU, Michigan, or Purdue who have coaches who have proven themselves in the league. Once Archie breaks through, I will be more willing to give him the same credit I give to those three coaches, but not this year. Last season was a bad year for the conference, and I felt IU had the players to win more games than they did. Perhaps it’s becuase Archie was new to the conference, but that would mean that this season will still have an IU coach who is new to the league and hasn’t shown he can beat the top coaches.
This is such a fanboy Purdue post it’s unreal. If that’s what you were going for, congrats, you succeeded.

Can’t wait to save this one and bring it back out to see your spin....

If you like wasting money that’s up to you. Figured you would avoid admitting you were wrong or giving Michigan credit.... not shocked by your response.
I was wrong. I took a chance on the crappier of the two teams. After my team wiped the floor with Michigan in the first game of the season and they almost lost to a terrible Northwestern team, I figured the risk was worth it.

In the end $100 is absolutely nothing lol.

If you like wasting money that’s up to you. Figured you would avoid admitting you were wrong or giving Michigan credit.... not shocked by your response.
There is potential for a bad betting weekend though. I took OSU at +110 for $500 at the half.

Cline and Edwards might be the second- or third-best shooting duo in the conference entering the season. MSU's trio of Winston, Langford, and McQuaid is the league's best.

Are you thinking they'll be the top trio, or are they currently the top shooting trio?

If this isn’t the dumbest take yet, I dont know what would be.

I dunno. Borden used winning more b1g games last year vs two years ago as a reason why 17/18 IU > 16/17 IU

In 16/17 Northwestern made the Dance.
The b1g was a much better conference, and with imbalanced scheduling it's hard to cross - compare.

In 17/18 injuries were rampant in the B1g and as a result the conference sucked. I mean, only four went dancing.. a team that tied for fourth place went to the NIT.
More wins vs lesser opponents.... uh congrats on not losing?

Are you thinking they'll be the top trio, or are they currently the top shooting trio?

I dunno. Borden used winning more b1g games last year vs two years ago as a reason why 17/18 IU > 16/17 IU

The b1g was a much better conference, and with imbalanced scheduling it's hard to cross - compare.

In 17/18 injuries were rampant in the B1g and as a result the conference sucked. I mean, only four went dancing.. a team that tied for fourth place went to the NIT.
The 16/17 team was definitely better than last years team. OG, TB, and JBJ alone make them a better team.

I think what Borden might have been trying to say is that crean finished 10th in the Big Ten with that team. Crean never got the most ourt of his players. Archie was able to take a team that lost 3 pro players (one an NBA starter on a 2nd place eastern conference team) and finish 4 spots better.

No doubt the Big Ten was down last season. So if you take into account that Crean had the more talented team, but Archie had the easier schedule, it's pretty much a push. So the fact that crean finished 10th and archie finished 6th makes it a better coaching job by archie.

They did. But why keep dismissing the losses of two, Top 50 players? Davis to injury. Curtis Jones to a transfer? Ot the injury riddled season of Colin Hartman? You don't think that played a role?

Archie isn't new to the conference. He's got a year under his belt. Better feel. No he hasn't shown he can beat the top coaches. But he sure as hell showed can compete with them. And that was with a shorthanded roster.

I just don't see how its so hard for you to understand that Indiana has the opportunity to be really good. I thnk you are underestimating how good Langford is. And the impact he's going to have.

I was framing it based on the best returning group. I think Winston is due for some regression from three. But I think that's the group I would bet on being the best trio as well.

Reactions: KisteK

No,no....I used it as PART of the reasoning. Not THE reason. There's a difference. C'mon, sister. You gonna quote me---at least get it right.:D

1 KSU bringing most of last year's team back. Made a good run on last year's tourney

2 Washington also bring back a lot from a decent squad last year

3 LSU recruited a top cla$$. Let's see if they gel

4 Nevada I think they are massively overrated. Borderline top 25 team, most have them top 10

5 Texas homer pick. I think this is the year Shaka puts it all together. Has the gaurd play and depth to wreak havoc. Time to unleash the dogs of war.

Yes, I do. Indiana in 2016-17 was a time ranked 3rd; And as high as 5th in KenPom. They finished unranked, and 44th overall. 2018 IU was never ranked. Was as low as 126th in Kenpom. Finished 71st. So one team dropped 39 spots. The other improved some 50 spots. IU's bad start was just to much to overcome. IU's good start in 2017 is why they made the NIT.
I didn't read what lead up to this post, but I gotta say, this post is hilarious.

So, one team was better than the other even though the computer poll referenced says the opposite?

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Very good player? Yes.

“Best player in the nation”? Not even close. You let coaches have a lottery for picking any player, and Carson Edwards is nowhere near the top of that list.

This Edwards hype train by Purdue fans is comical. He’s a great player. But let’s see how he does when he’s not surrounded by a 30-4 team.
Carsen got the most All American votes of any player in the country this week. the AP voters must all be Purdue fans aboard the Edwards hype train RollLaugh

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I didn't read what lead up to this post, but I gotta say, this post is hilarious.

So, one team was better than the other even though the computer poll referenced says the opposite?
Yeah---Such a huge difference between 18-16 and 16-15. Not to mention, the 2018 team went 9-9 in the Big 10. 2017 team......7-11.

Yeah---hilarious take.

2017 "looks better" via the computer because of where they were in Nov/Dec; ranked 3rd. That team fell apart, losing 10 of their last 14 games.

I'd take last years team, with Miller, all day vs that 2017 team.

I was wrong. I took a chance on the crappier of the two teams. After my team wiped the floor with Michigan in the first game of the season and they almost lost to a terrible Northwestern team, I figured the risk was worth it.

In the end $100 is absolutely nothing lol.

And then lost another $500 betting on Ohio State because you pressed. Sounds like a good day of betting.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Yeah---Such a huge difference between 18-16 and 16-15. Not to mention, the 2018 team went 9-9 in the Big 10. 2017 team......7-11.

Yeah---hilarious take.

2017 "looks better" via the computer because of where they were in Nov/Dec; ranked 3rd. That team fell apart, losing 10 of their last 14 games.

I'd take last years team, with Miller, all day vs that 2017 team.
Well, one team beat Bigten Champ MSU and one didn’t beat a single tourney team.

Edit: MSU didn’t win the B1G. iU did beat them however and they were a tourney team.
Didn’t IU have some injuries late in the season that year as well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT