ADVERTISEMENT

5 teams in 2018-2019 season you are most intrigued by

Exactly. We are on a college forum and you lost a bet about college basketball because you know less than you pretend to.
Lol...Ok. Tell ya what, Hail. I'll put my knowledge versus your's, anytime. I was wrong about Sheehey; He averaged 11.4, instead of 15. Wow....Man. I should just quit watching the game. IU missed the tournament. I said they wouldn't. I also didn't take into account that a Top 50 SG, Curtis Jones, would transfer. Or that our Top 40 center, Davis, would be out for the year. Or that Hartman, a solid contributor from a Big 10 title team, would miss 50% of the season, due to injury. Certainly none of that played a role---Right?

As for Oladipo. Yeah---crazy prediction there, huh? I mean the kid was only the Rupp Trophy Winner, Sporting News NPOY. Big 10 DPOY. A consensus 1st team All-American. Crazy of me to think he possibly also could've been the BPOY, huh?

Just outlandish takes on my part.

Again, just me and you. We will pick games very week. Lets see who knows what. I mean if I remeber correctly, when we did this as a board, I came in first twice; Once winning by a ton.

So lets do it. You can even pick the games.

@SNU0821 Let's revisit part way thorough the season. I'm curious myself to see how he does now that he will get significant minutes.
Lost me on this response???? I'm assuming you are speaking of Cline? Like I said---Like the kid. I just don't see who's minutes, as of NOW, that he would take.

Reactions: SNU0821
Who will you have to stretch the defense this year? If you don’t have any shooters, and you don’t have any returning shooters, won’t the defense just clog the lane and double Juwan? Yep
Lol. You think teams are going to double Juwan? Why didn’t teams do that last year? Did it stop Juwan last year? Fitzner is a shooter. Nobody is going to double Juwan and leave things open for Romeo and Smith.

Are you starting to see how dumb your takes are? Just like we wouldn’t be better last year than we were the year before? Or how IU couldn’t have a top 100 defense a few years ago? Or there was no way IU would win the conference without an experienced big man and Bryant wouldn’t help. Remember those hot takes? Literally worse than MJ18.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Lol. You think teams are going to double Juwan? Why didn’t teams do that last year? Did it stop Juwan last year? Fitzner is a shooter. Nobody is going to double Juwan and leave things open for Romeo and Smith.

Are you starting to see how dumb your takes are? Just like we wouldn’t be better last year than we were the year before? Or how IU couldn’t have a top 100 defense a few years ago? Or there was no way IU would win the conference without an experienced big man and Bryant wouldn’t help. Remember those hot takes? Literally worse than MJ18.
You think IU was better last year than the year before?

You think IU was better last year than the year before?

Looking at Romeos stats, I see he shot 35% from 3...in high school. So, you think he will be your deep threat? Sure Fitz has a good percentage, but do you really want your center out on the perimeter? That will bury your rebounding.
You are quite literally relying on guys who haven’t played a single Bigten game, to carry your team. You also think they are a better choice than a guy who is in the basketball hall of fame?

I can’t wait for the season to start so the IU fans will come back to earth. Happens every year. How about all of your experts that you like to quote. Who do they pick to be better this year, IU or Purdue?

I still argue he wouldn’t see many minutes. Maybe situational, but not a regular rotation guy.

I have to agree. I just don't know who's minutes he would take.
I feel like I'm experiencing some deja vu...

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-20%20at%2011.05.43%20AM_zpsnbwvrfct.png

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-20%20at%2011.05.56%20AM_zpsxt1cukdn.png

Looking at Romeos stats, I see he shot 35% from 3...in high school. So, you think he will be your deep threat? Sure Fitz has a good percentage, but do you really want your center out on the perimeter? That will bury your rebounding.
You are quite literally relying on guys who haven’t played a single Bigten game, to carry your team. You also think they are a better choice than a guy who is in the basketball hall of fame?

I can’t wait for the season to start so the IU fans will come back to earth. Happens every year. How about all of your experts that you like to quote. Who do they pick to be better this year, IU or Purdue?
It’s a mixed bag, really. But I dont think it’s unreasonable to think Purdue, who loses 80% of its production, brings in nobody of significance, and returns only one player with meaningful experience, would slip a good amount. I expect them around 5th or so. IU will be better.

Tell me again how IU couldn’t finish higher in the B10 last year. How’d that hot take work out for you?
That wasn’t my take, I said they wouldn’t be better, which is what you claimed, but I can see how you cling to that.
Once again, do you think last years team was better than the year before?

I think it started off as no way they’d be top 150. Then no way too 100. Then Bk way they’d make the tournament.

I think it was b-westy’s thread not pete’s
I did say they wouldn’t have a top 100 defense and they ended up around 80. Not very impressive, but IU fans have had to cling
to comparing themselves to Purdue for quite some time now.

You are literally starting 3 guys that could not hit a 3 last year. Cline and Edwards are the only proven shooters on your team.

Wasn't that Matt who made that claim?

Oh to be back in the halcyon days of MattJones trolling this board to Boliva talking up Hammons and riling up every single UK fan here before that fateful meltdown.
Nope. It was Pete.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
Eastern, Haarms, and Eifert. Combined they hit 6 3s. Literally probably shouldn't have been used since they did manage to hit a couple 3s, but that doesnt change the fact that Purdue has serious question marks in the 3pt department.

Eastern, Haarms, and Eifert. Combined they hit 6 3s. Literally probably shouldn't have been used since they did manage to hit a couple 3s, but that doesnt change the fact that Purdue has serious question marks in the 3pt department.
It's a question, but not a serious one, yet. If teams are able to scheme the ball out of CE's hands and Eifert and Eastern are forced to win games out on the perimeter I'll start worrying.

Cline and Edwards might be the second- or third-best shooting duo in the conference entering the season. MSU's trio of Winston, Langford, and McQuaid is the league's best. I'm more worried about front-court scoring and rebounding production than shooting at this moment. But that's obviously subject to change.

I did say they wouldn’t have a top 100 defense and they ended up around 80. Not very impressive, but IU fans have had to cling to comparing themselves to Purdue for quite some time now.
Not comparing more just showing your idiotic takes. You only look at the prior year, not forward looking, can’t add context into your analysis of any team and think nobody else in college basketball gets better from one year to the next outside of Purdue. It’s really a pattern of bad takes by you. We’ve come to expect it.

It's a question, but not a serious one, yet. If teams are able to scheme the ball out of CE's hands and Eifert and Eastern are forced to win games out on the perimeter I'll start worrying..
Gotta believe that’s what teams will do, right? I would at least try to.

It's a question, but not a serious one, yet. If teams are able to scheme the ball out of CE's hands and Eifert and Eastern are forced to win games out on the perimeter I'll start worrying.

Cline and Edwards might be the second- or third-best shooting duo in the conference entering the season. MSU's trio of Winston, Langford, and McQuaid is the league's best. I'm more worried about front-court scoring and rebounding production than shooting at this moment. But that's obviously subject to change.
There are certainly a lot of boilers I know worried about 3pt shooting.

Not comparing more just showing your idiotic takes. You only look at the prior year, not forward looking, can’t add context into your analysis of any team and think nobody else in college basketball gets better from one year to the next outside of Purdue. It’s really a pattern of bad takes by you. We’ve come to expect it.
Really? Like how last year you said there was no way Purdue would be better without Biggie, who was “by far” the best player on the team? How did that work out for you?
Once again, do you think last years IU team was better than the year before? You keep dodging that question.

Gotta believe that’s what teams will do, right? I would at least try to.
I know that'd be my strategy, but easier said than done. And I'd be guarding Edwards all 94 feet up the court in the hopes of wearing him down. But again, not sure how many rosters have guys who can do that for the duration of a game. Illinois might have been the best suited for it a year ago, and that ended up being CE's career-best night.

One team beat #3 Kansas and the other lost at home to Indiana State and IPFW.

Which one was better?

There are certainly a lot of boilers I know worried about 3pt shooting.
If they are worried that Purdue won't be a top-10 three point shooting team like the past two seasons, then sure, that makes sense. But if they are worried that three-point shooting is the most glaring weakness on this roster then you need to hang with more intelligent fans.

If they are worried that Purdue won't be a top-10 three point shooting team like the past two seasons, then sure, that makes sense. But if they are worried that three-point shooting is the most glaring weakness on this roster then you need to hang with more intelligent fans.
Lol they dont think it's your most glaring weakness. They think lack of offensive threats in general is the most glaring weakness. Lot of scoring to replace with a lot of unproven guys.

"Carry"? No, more like "help", and or contribute. The guy I expect to carry this team is a candidate for BTPOY: Juwan Morgan.

Yes, Langford shot 35%, in HS. Not great. But decent. Here's what some NBA scouts had to say:

Romeo Langford
Height: 6-6
Weight: 195
College: Indiana
Classification: Freshman
Birthdate: 10/25/1999

Projected Draft Range: Top 5

Pros:

Good scorer off the dribble

Excels at scoring on the move

Decent shooter

Prolific scorer

He's seen as a decent shooter. JMO here, but I do think you have to respect a decent shooter. A lot of his woes via shooting, was at times, his shot selection. Deep, NBA, 30" type of shots. Some were do to desparation. Offense becoming stagnant. Some were due to just plain "bad shots". BUT....when he was within decent range, step or two, off the line? Very good. I think the shot selection issue will be fixed for two reasons: One, Miller won't tolerate it. And two, he'll be surrounded by better players.

As for using Fitzner as a 3-point shooter, hurting rebounds. Nope. He was brought in to SHOOT---Not rebound. Guys like Juwan, Hunter, Smith, Davis, etc, etc...can handle that. And even Romeo: He was also New Albany's all-time leading rebounder. So that won't be an issue.

As for the experts. Most have picked Purdue to finish ahead(of IU). But its not like Purdue is picked 3rd, and IU is 10th. Most have projected those two fairly close. I think a lot of that has to do with what happened last year. Experts do that every year. Purdue was 30-4...IU was 16-15. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Indiana returns Morgan(16ppg), SMith(7ppg), Green(7ppg), Davis(9ppg), Durham(4ppg) and McRoberts(Not a scorer, but an very good defender, glue guy of sorts, who makes "winning plays".). Then we bring in two Top 50 recruits; Langford/Hunter. Solid 4* PG in Phinisee. I just do not see why its so hard to think IU will be better. And possibly better than a team that lost 4 major contributors, off a very good team.

We shall see.

Can you explain? The year before they had a better record and played in the post season. How can you say a .500 team that wasn’t invited to the NIT was better? You literally didn’t beat a single tourney team.
Did you watch IU last year? If you cannot see they were better, then maybe basketball isn't for you. They year before, IU was 18-16. Had a ton more talent: Anunoby, Bryant and JBJ. But they were dysfunctional. That team won 7 Big 10 games; albeit it could have been more had OG not gotten hurt. But not sure about that either. That team was drowning before he got hurt.. Yes they beat KU and UNC. They also lost to Iowa, FW, Nebraska(at home). Lost to Michigan by 30. After beating MSU, IU was 14-6. They went on to lose 10 of their final 14 games(4-10). They finished with an AdjD of 104. 44th overall. In other words, as the year went on, they got worse. Much worse. Same cannot be said about last years team.
IU in 2017-18 had a new coach. Started very rough. AdjD at one time was 175. They finished 66th. Offesnively they struggled. But most of that was due to injuries, transfer, and Robert Johnson really struggling. Not to mention a new coach, with a new system. And a make shift roster. Still, this team won more Big 10 games(9/7), and won just two less games(16/18). And this with much less talent. Opposed to the 2016-17 team, the 2018 team got better as the year went on. As for IU not beating a single NCAAT team...Well, they kinda of did. They beat then #18 Notre Dame, who still had the services of Mr. Colson. That was a really good team, that easily makes the NCAA if Colson doesn't get hurt. Easily. They lost to OSU, on a 30' heave at the buzzer. An OSU team that won 15 Big 10 games. Was a 5-seed, that took eventual Runner-Up Gonzaga to the wire. They also battled Duke, Purdue and MSU, to the wire. Not to mention UL. So no they didn't beat any NCAAT teams---But they certainly showed they could compete. IMO, take away those head scratching, early season losses to FW and ISU, and IU's probably right there, fighting for a bid.

So yes, I think last years Indiana team was better. Better defensively for sure. And by a lot. The offensive weapons wasn't there to be that good. If Crean had coached this team, they don't win 10 games. Maybe less.

Really? Like how last year you said there was no way Purdue would be better without Biggie, who was “by far” the best player on the team? How did that work out for you?
Once again, do you think last years IU team was better than the year before? You keep dodging that question.
Well Purdue finished lower in the B10 and didn’t make it further in the tournament. Doesn’t seem like I was wrong. One thing I was wrong about Purdue last year was the offensive efficiency. I didnt Think they would be as efficient on offense. I was wrong. As for IU, they were better. They finished higher in the B10 than everyone predicted. So I was more right than wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

One team beat #3 Kansas and the other lost at home to Indiana State and IPFW.

Which one was better?
Heck of a sample size, there---Two games?Laughing And BTW, both those teams lost to IPFW. People put to much emphasis on records, who they beat, who they lost to. I mean sure,. it plays a part. But you cannpt just stop at that. Take the ISU/FW losses for example. Those teams shot a combined 34-56 from three: Think about that. That's insane. An outlier for sure. Yeah, it was bad defense Though quite of ew those were from deep, and contested. Shit 3 of them banked in. I could be wrong, but I dthink at one point, IPFW hit 11 straight from three. But stll----34-56? That was versus a bad defensive IU team. But IU vastly improved in that area. Finished 66th overall. I feel confident in saying had that IU team showed up, they pretty much handle both of those squads.

Just feel folks like you are looking at those two early losses, and coming to a conclusion. Instead of looking at the overall picture, and circumstances that went with it.

Yes---I think last years IU team was better than IU's 2016-17 team.

Heck of a sample size, there---Two games?Laughing And BTW, both those teams lost to IPFW. People put to much emphasis on records, who they beat, who they lost to. I mean sure,. it plays a part. But you cannpt just stop at that. Take the ISU/FW losses for example. Those teams shot a combined 34-56 from three: Think about that. That's insane. An outlier for sure. Yeah, it was bad defense Though quite of ew those were from deep, and contested. Shit 3 of them banked in. I could be wrong, but I dthink at one point, IPFW hit 11 straight from three. But stll----34-56? That was versus a bad defensive IU team. But IU vastly improved in that area. Finished 66th overall. I feel confident in saying had that IU team showed up, they pretty much handle both of those squads.

Just feel folks like you are looking at those two early losses, and coming to a conclusion. Instead of looking at the overall picture, and circumstances that went with it.

Yes---I think last years IU team was better than IU's 2016-17 team.
The overall picture is that one team made the post season and one didn’t. Am I missing somthing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT