ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 College Basketball Draft (Updated Standings)

In my defense I joined late after someone dropped out so yea didn’t read the rules lol, not even the first sentence

Reactions: dukedevilz
In my defense I joined late after someone dropped out so yea didn’t read the rules lol, not even the first sentence

hey man, every year there has to be a newbie who didn't really read the rules and ends up with a team that sucks. I filled that role last year when I mistakenly thought you could stack all conference points and defensive POY points so I loaded my team with mid major defensive wizzes thinking I would end up with a bunch of guys who were first team all conference as well as conference defensive player of the year. Needless to say, it did not end well for me.

I was also high on Wiseman. I'm going to wear that for a month.

How could anyone see that coming?

Happens to the best of us. I can't fault you for Wiseman, though. I don't think anyone saw that coming, especially when we saw guys like DeAndre Ayton play the whole 2018 season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Congrats to @GE Nole on destroying the field this year. 3 All-Americans. Super impressive. I have now finished 2nd place all 3 years of this draft lol. Hoping to match the Buffalo Bills next year.

1st @GE Nole , 75.8
2nd dukedevilz, 64.7
3rd @hailtoyourvictor, 63.7

4th @WeAreDePaul, 60.4
5th @jwill133, 59.6
6th @sdsufan10, 57.4
7th @MGC_07, 56.5
8th @klize17, 52.5
9th @Villain07, 51.5
10th @boilerzz, 50.2
11th @jace4655555, 38.4
12th @imajericho, 37.4

Remember to double-click on the screenshots to expand.

draft-final-standings-2020.png

draft-final-standings1-2020.png

Dang. My drafting wasn’t horrible overall I just had no all Americans. Everyone was kind eh. Crazy that Tillman was my lead point getter, and he was the second best player on his team.

Definitely want to take part again next season. This was really fun and gave me something to root for in a random Oregon State vs. Washington game.

Holy Shit. Obi Toppin went in the 8th round....which means I drafted a whole bunch of stiffs before him. I knew he was a stud. What was I thinking?

1. Thank you so much for doing this @dukedevilz , it’s a lot of fun and seems like a ton of work on your part.

2. I think finishing 2nd three years running is a much more impressive accomplishment compared to one win and then a bunch of bottom tier finishes, especially on a board full of people who really follow this sport.

3. Really cool to see double digit scorers like Toppin, Siddiq Bey, Jared Butler, etc. get picked in the later rounds every year. Part of what makes the sport fun.

4. Next year why don’t we all pick one coach too? They can earn points for conference coach of the year, national coach of the year finalist, NCOY award, etc.

Dang. My drafting wasn’t horrible overall I just had no all Americans. Everyone was kind eh. Crazy that Tillman was my lead point getter, and he was the second best player on his team.

Definitely want to take part again next season. This was really fun and gave me something to root for in a random Oregon State vs. Washington game.

You did a solid job drafting. All-Americans is where you obviously make up the most ground. The numbers looked a bit different this year. We generally have 30-40 Honorable Mention All-Americans. This year, for whatever reason, we only had 6. I was kind of bummed about that cause I was kind of banking on either Jordan Ford or Corey Kispert making HM All-American. I don't know if that trend will continue or not.

Also, I factored being named All Region and All Tournament teams into the scoring system. So no one got credit for that. It's very possible one of your guys may have earned one of those honors.

Reactions: MGC_07
You did a solid job drafting. All-Americans is where you obviously make up the most ground. The numbers looked a bit different this year. We generally have 30-40 Honorable Mention All-Americans. This year, for whatever reason, we only had 6. I was kind of bummed about that cause I was kind of banking on either Jordan Ford or Corey Kispert making HM All-American. I don't know if that trend will continue or not.

Also, I factored being named All Region and All Tournament teams into the scoring system. So no one got credit for that. It's very possible one of your guys may have earned one of those honors.

What about using the NABC All-District first teams as a sub for all tourney/all region teams? Not perfect, but could be something? https://nabc.com/nabc_releases/2020/d1_all_district (and fwiw, nice to see Vassell deservedly on the 1st team here, as opposed to the 2nd team all-acc).

Holy Shit. Obi Toppin went in the 8th round....which means I drafted a whole bunch of stiffs before him. I knew he was a stud. What was I thinking?

Toppin killed it. I had him 90th in my preseason top 150. Expected a big year from him, but he clearly outperformed everyone's expectations. I didn't seriously consider him in the draft, unfortunately. I saw him as someone who would most likely max out as 1st Team All-Conference. And being from a mid-major conference, that only meant 2 postseason award points. Loved watching him, as you may have guessed from my avatar. Sucks that he didn't get to play in the NCAA Tournament.

1. Thank you so much for doing this @dukedevilz , it’s a lot of fun and seems like a ton of work on your part.

2. I think finishing 2nd three years running is a much more impressive accomplishment compared to one win and then a bunch of bottom tier finishes, especially on a board full of people who really follow this sport.

3. Really cool to see double digit scorers like Toppin, Siddiq Bey, Jared Butler, etc. get picked in the later rounds every year. Part of what makes the sport fun.

4. Next year why don’t we all pick one coach too? They can earn points for conference coach of the year, national coach of the year finalist, NCOY award, etc.

Thanks. Yeah, consistency is nice. One of these times I'll get it, perhaps.

I actually had Jared Butler as the 43rd ranked player in my rankings. That's the value of a 4th round pick. And I had him on my radar for a while. But, I'm generally against taking multiple players from the same team, as it generally limits your ceiling, IMO. And I already took Tristan Clark, one of the biggest duds in the draft, with my second round pick. You won by a landslide, though. Every single one of your guys was at least 1st Team All-Conference, with the exception of Diakite.

I do like the idea of drafting a coach. That could be fun a fun element to include.

Reactions: GE Nole and MGC_07
What about using the NABC All-District first teams as a sub for all tourney/all region teams? Not perfect, but could be something? https://nabc.com/nabc_releases/2020/d1_all_district (and fwiw, nice to see Vassell deservedly on the 1st team here, as opposed to the 2nd team all-acc).

Idk. It looks like only a slightly different version of some of the all-conference teams. Might be something to consider for next year. Not really a big fan of using data that wasn't originally discussed. But if the majority thinks this is a suitable replacement, then I'd be okay with it.

Reactions: GE Nole
Idk. It looks like only a slightly different version of some of the all-conference teams. Might be something to consider for next year. Not really a big fan of using data that wasn't originally discussed. But if the majority thinks this is a suitable replacement, then I'd be okay with it.

Yeah, some are basically all conference teams. There just isn't a realistic way that a SoCon player is gonna make 1st team over an ACC player most years. Of course, the same can probably be said for All-Region teams.

I will say, perhaps that would be a good one for the coaches? Conference coach of the year is 5 points. NABC district CoY is 6. National CoY finalist is 7. National CoY is 8?

Congrats to @GE Nole on destroying the field this year. 3 All-Americans. Super impressive. I have now finished 2nd place all 3 years of this draft lol. Hoping to match the Buffalo Bills next year.

The 3 teams in the top 3 all drafted in the top 4 this year. The guy who came in 4th drafted 11th. I think it's pretty clear who the true winner was this year. The guys at the top were gifted AA players to start their rosters as all 3 landed AA players with that pick. Further down, pickings were a lot slimmer,a lot tougher to identify the AA players at that part in the draft.

Also, the guy who finished 4th landed the best player in the country in the 8th round. best pick in the draft.

all things considered, I should be named champion for this season. You don't need a lot of skill to pick Markus Howard, Myles Powell and Jordan Nwora.

Pound for pound, no one improved their position over their draft spot more than me.

The 3 teams in the top 3 all drafted in the top 4 this year. The guy who came in 4th drafted 11th. I think it's pretty clear who the true winner was this year. The guys at the top were gifted AA players to start their rosters as all 3 landed AA players with that pick. Further down, pickings were a lot slimmer,a lot tougher to identify the AA players at that part in the draft.

Also, the guy who finished 4th landed the best player in the country in the 8th round. best pick in the draft.

all things considered, I should be named champion for this season. You don't need a lot of skill to pick Markus Howard, Myles Powell and Jordan Nwora.

Pound for pound, no one improved their position over their draft spot more than me.

Every person in the draft passed on Peyton Pritchard, some passed twice. Why didn't you pick him in the 1st round?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

You had the best pick of the draft. No question. I don't think draft position really determines anything, however. I mean, I drafted Mikal Bridges in the 7th round in 2018. I drafted Jarrett Culver in the 7th round last year. Both were All-Americans. I finished 2nd last year, when I had the second last pick in the 1st round. I think you're being mostly facetious, but the good news is you'll most likely have the 1st or 2nd pick next year. Luka Garza could be your dude next year - and you could have the NPOY two years in a row.

Every person in the draft passed on Peyton Pritchard, some passed twice. Why didn't you pick him in the 1st round?

In my defense I forgot he existed + I went for the shiny object instead (Nico Mannion).

You had the best pick of the draft. No question. I don't think draft position really determines anything, however. I mean, I drafted Mikal Bridges in the 7th round in 2018. I drafted Jarrett Culver in the 7th round last year. Both were All-Americans. I finished 2nd last year, when I had the second last pick in the 1st round. I think you're being mostly facetious, but the good news is you'll most likely have the 1st or 2nd pick next year. Luka Garza could be your dude next year - and you could have the NPOY two years in a row.

No, I'll draft Luka and then he'll shave his unibrow and lose all his powers. Plus, do I really want to spend a whole season sitting next to Gil as we cheer for Iowa???

No, I'll draft Luka and then he'll shave his unibrow and lose all his powers. Plus, do I really want to spend a whole season sitting next to Gil as we cheer for Iowa???

lol that's right. You and Gilligan clashed a bit. Dude is unequivocally the worst poster on this board.

I’m just happy I wasn’t last lol.

Thanks dukedevilz it was fun.

You should actually have an additional point, as Precious Achiuwa was the Conference POY. Feel bad for your team, as I'm sure Wiseman would have been an All-American. And Charles Bassey was the preseason favorite to win Con-USA POY. Two sad endings for those guys. I did get you 3 guys that were 1st Team All-Conference, at least. There's always next year :)

^^^^ that’s not my team. I had tre Jones, Jalen Smith, and a bunch of uk players who weren’t even the first or second best players on their team lol.

yea thanks for doing this again @dukedevilz , lots of fun as always. Very happy with my performance after last year's debacle.

Next year I'm expecting first place or bust. Gonna be drafting top 2 most likely. No reason I shouldn't win this thing!

I feel like finishing last place in a Coronavirus NCAA turned upside down season makes me first. Thanks for participating.

@dukedevilz Even though I didn't join this I always appreciate the amount of work you put into stuff like this. Even though you're a Dukie you're a good dude.

Thanks! I certainly appreciate it!

Would you like me to tag you next year for this draft?

ADVERTISEMENT