Eric Paschall- Villanova
John Konchar- Fort Wayne
Ja Morant- Murray State
Tookie Brown- Georgia Southern
Dylan Windler- Belmont
Brandon Clarke- Gonzaga
Josh Reaves- Penn State
Jalen McDaniels- San Diego State

He has a handful of mid-major superstars. Couple that in with 3 very reliable players from power conferences, all who have legit shots at making one of the All-American teams, and you have yourself a heckuva team.

Maybe next year we can limit our draft where we can only take 1 mid-major player. That might make it a little more intriguing where we're swinging for the fences, instead of taking safe picks.

I have a very comprehensive list of prospects to draft. I still have a 100+ on my board, except I do my rankings by conference. I'm constantly changing my mind as far as best available. So sometimes I like to look at the best 2-3 in each of the big conferences...

Right now I'm liking Juwan Morgan. He had 5.0 win shares last year and Indiana only won 16 games. Indiana should be better this year, which means he's likely to earn more win shares. Among returning B1G players, only Edwards- 6.1 (Purdue), Winston- 5.8 (MSU), and Cowan- 5.2 (Maryland) had more win shares.

So here are the picks:

48. Juwan Morgan- Indiana
49. McKinley Wright- Colorado

Feel free to revise this pick if you're not a fan of it.

@Big_C_KU has back-to-back picks.
Almost 50 picks before somebody took Juwan. You guys are clueless. lol

Almost 50 picks before somebody took Juwan. You guys are clueless. lol

He certainly could have gone higher. But the scoring system is a bit nuanced, where you have to incorporate advanced statistics and projected win totals. See page 5 of this thread where we discuss why Charles Matthews fell all the way to 50th in this draft.

We had 80 picks in the draft last year, and Mo Wagner composite score at the end of the season was 33rd out of 80. Most would agree that Wagner had an incredible season in 2018. But he didn't fare too well in this scoring system. He probably would have been 35th overall, had Bonzie Colson and Michael Porter not been injured. Point is, it's not cut-and-dry like you might think it is.

I’m not going to go back and look at who, but **** whoever took James Thompson

@GE Nole was out, and I made a proxy selection for him. Interesting thing about Eastern Michigan is their #2 and #3 guys are back this year (Minnie averaged 17 ppg, Jackson averaged 15 ppg), as well. EMU is certainly a team that could win 25+ games. Having the talent back should help bolster Thompson's composite score.

Going to finish this off by adding yet another reigning conference DPOY to my stable.

James Dickey/ UNCG

I now have 6/10 players on my roster who are reigning DPOY for their conferences.

Reactions: jhmossy
Sucks I missed this this year, but I have been having a lot of trouble regularly posting on this board due to errors. Good luck to you all.

@dukedevilz

I will whenever I can post again. Can't post again as of now. I can't post in the thread yinz linked right now because I still can't post. (My fault for posting here when my restrictions went off. I thought the @Kevin Bryan moderator might have fixed it. Guess not.)

Last edited:
I feel like I drafted a really strong team with the strategy of loading up on guys projected to win DPOY as well as be on an all conference team. Only took one freshman, going to let others try and play that speculative game.

@dukedevilz , give me an honest breakdown of my roster.

Tremont Waters/LSU
Sagaba Konate/WVA (DPOY, 2nd team all conf)
Cody Martin/Nevada (DPOY, 2nd team)
Chris Silva/USC (DPOY, 1st team)
Kellan Grady/Davidson (2nd team)
Naz Reid (Mcdonalds AA)
Chris Clemons/ Campbell (2x 1st team)
Marlain Veal/SE Lousiana (DPOY, 1st team)
Michael Oguine/Montana (DPOY, 2nd team)
James Dickey/UNCG (DPOY, 2nd team)

Only guy on my roster who didn't get points last year is my top pick Tremont. And the freshman Reid.

6 guys were DPOY, it can be argued that Konate is the favorite for NDPOY. I could see Waters, Konate, Martin, Grady and maybe even Silva all catching a piece of AA honors.

Sucks I missed this this year, but I have been having a lot of trouble regularly posting on this board due to errors. Good luck to you all.

I'll tag you for next year.

As far as posting errors, that seems to be a common issue. The admins on this thread are usually good about correcting that hiccup.

You should pick 10 players that weren’t selected in the draft just to see how it ends up comparing to everybody else. I think @dukedevilz said Trae Young and some other top guys went undrafted last year so there could be some promise in doing well. He’d probably go for that.

I feel like I drafted a really strong team with the strategy of loading up on guys projected to win DPOY as well as be on an all conference team. Only took one freshman, going to let others try and play that speculative game.

@dukedevilz , give me an honest breakdown of my roster.

Tremont Waters/LSU
Sagaba Konate/WVA (DPOY, 2nd team all conf)
Cody Martin/Nevada (DPOY, 2nd team)
Chris Silva/USC (DPOY, 1st team)
Kellan Grady/Davidson (2nd team)
Naz Reid (Mcdonalds AA)
Chris Clemons/ Campbell (2x 1st team)
Marlain Veal/SE Lousiana (DPOY, 1st team)
Michael Oguine/Montana (DPOY, 2nd team)
James Dickey/UNCG (DPOY, 2nd team)

Only guy on my roster who didn't get points last year is my top pick Tremont. And the freshman Reid.

6 guys were DPOY, it can be argued that Konate is the favorite for NDPOY. I could see Waters, Konate, Martin, Grady and maybe even Silva all catching a piece of AA honors.

Pretty solid picks, I would say.

Tremont Waters would be on my 1st Team Preseason All-American team.

Konate is the likely leader for National Defensive Player of the Year.

Cody Martin actually has a much better all-around game than Caleb. If he can improve his shooting a little, he has a chance at making one of the All-American teams.. only problem with this pick is he's competing with his twin and Jordan Caroline for postseason accolades. I would say it's a safe pick,

Chris Silva is a great player. But I think the 4th round is too high, personally. The SEC is incredibly deep. So while he was DPOY (technically Co-DPOY as Robert Williams also shared the honors), repeating in this league won't be easy. Anfernee McLemore, Austin Wiley, Daniel Gafford, Kevarrius Hayes, Donta Hall, Aric Holman, Kyle Alexander, Jontay Porter, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Admiral Schofield are capable defenders. And then there's the freshmen, who knows who good they'll be defensively (Semi Shittu, EJ Montgomery, Emmitt Williams, etc).

I love Kellan Grady. I think he's worth the 5th round pick. I would guess he makes Honorable Mention All-American. Great prospect.

Naz Reid- This is a tough one. I'm never crazy about picking freshmen because you're dealing with the element of the unknown. In the limited time that I've seen Reid play, he looks like he has a great skillset. I expect Reid to be LSU's #2 guy, so if they can win 25+ games, then this pick could pay out well. It's a home-run or single type pick, IMO.

Rounds 7-10: Clemons is a scoring machine. I would expect Honorable Mention All-American. The other 3 guys were DPOY in their respective conferences. I never considered that strategy. Seems pretty smart. Good chance you might want to utilize all 4 of these guys in your 8-man rotation.

I'd say you have a good chance at winning. I still like @sdsufan10 's team the most.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Pretty solid picks, I would say.

Tremont Waters would be on my 1st Team Preseason All-American team.

Konate is the likely leader for National Defensive Player of the Year.

Cody Martin actually has a much better all-around game than Caleb. If he can improve his shooting a little, he has a chance at making one of the All-American teams.. only problem with this pick is he's competing with his twin and Jordan Caroline for postseason accolades. I would say it's a safe pick,

Chris Silva is a great player. But I think the 4th round is too high, personally. The SEC is incredibly deep. So while he was DPOY (technically Co-DPOY as Robert Williams also shared the honors), repeating in this league won't be easy. Anfernee McLemore, Austin Wiley, Daniel Gafford, Kevarrius Hayes, Donta Hall, Aric Holman, Kyle Alexander, Jontay Porter, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Admiral Schofield are capable defenders. And then there's the freshmen, who knows who good they'll be defensively (Semi Shittu, EJ Montgomery, Emmitt Williams, etc).

I love Kellan Grady. I think he's worth the 5th round pick. I would guess he makes Honorable Mention All-American. Great prospect.

Naz Reid- This is a tough one. I'm never crazy about picking freshmen because you're dealing with the element of the unknown. In the limited time that I've seen Reid play, he looks like he has a great skillset. I expect Reid to be LSU's #2 guy, so if they can win 25+ games, then this pick could pay out well. It's a home-run or single type pick, IMO.

Rounds 7-10: Clemons is a scoring machine. I would expect Honorable Mention All-American. The other 3 guys were DPOY in their respective conferences. I never considered that strategy. Seems pretty smart. Good chance you might want to utilize all 4 of these guys in your 8-man rotation.

I'd say you have a good chance at winning. I still like @sdsufan10 's team the most.
I would put up a bet Naz Reid is freshman of the year in SEC.

I have a serious man crush on him,.

You should pick 10 players that weren’t selected in the draft just to see how it ends up comparing to everybody else. I think @dukedevilz said Trae Young and some other top guys went undrafted last year so there could be some promise in doing well. He’d probably go for that.

Crazy thing is, that might work. I actually posted a backup team after last season's draft. If you took out my original team, my backup team (completely undrafted players) would have been in 2nd place.

Here was my breakdown for my JV Squad:

Brandon Goodwin, Florida Gulf Coast, HM All-American
Chris Clemons, Campbell, 1st Team All-Conference
Amir Coffey, Minnesota, None (only miss)
Johnathan Williams, Gonzaga, HM All-American
Thomas Welsh, UCLA, 1st Team All-Conference
Shamorie Ponds, St.John's, HM All-American
Keenan Evans, Texas Tech, 3rd Team All-American
Peyton Aldridge, Davidson, HM All-American

I had 1 All-American (Keenan Evans) and 4 guys that were Honorable Mention All-American. Give it a try, @imajericho

Reactions: schoonerwest
I would put up a bet Naz Reid is freshman of the year in SEC.

I have a serious man crush on him,.

There's a good chance he is, but there aren't any points for freshmen of the year honors. Reid has a high ceiling, no doubt. And I think LSU has a high ceiling, too. So the pick could pay off. But at the end of the day, Waters is still ahead of him, which makes it harder for me to love the pick since teammates often knock each other out of competition for postseason accolades.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Thanks for the write up. Only thing I'll say in defense of Silva pick is that he was first team SEC and co-DPOY (Williams in NBA now) last year which is 9 points right there. I know SEC is deep, but it's also a conference that puts 10 players on first team. I factored that in. Assuming no freshman comes in and Bamba's him I'd say he's a good bet to repeat as DPOY. If he does what he did last year that's 9 points which seems great for 4th round. Also, an outside shot at AA honorable mention which would push him into double figures.

Reactions: dukedevilz
There's a good chance he is, but there aren't any points for freshmen of the year honors. Reid has a high ceiling, no doubt. And I think LSU has a high ceiling, too. So the pick could pay off. But at the end of the day, Waters is still ahead of him, which makes it harder for me to love the pick since teammates often knock each other out of competition for postseason accolades.

I wanted to get on the freshman train at least once and I figured if I'm that high on Tremont he has to be passing to someone, might as well be Reid??

Thanks for the write up. Only thing I'll say in defense of Silva pick is that he was first team SEC and co-DPOY (Williams in NBA now) last year which is 9 points right there. I know SEC is deep, but it's also a conference that puts 10 players on first team. I factored that in. Assuming no freshman comes in and Bamba's him I'd say he's a good bet to repeat as DPOY. If he does what he did last year that's 9 points which seems great for 4th round. Also, an outside shot at AA honorable mention which would push him into double figures.

It's not a multi-tiered scoring system for postseason accolades. You only receive points for your highest accolade. Last year, Jalen Brunson would have received 29 points after being named NPOY, 1st Team All-American, Big East POY, and 1st Team All-Big East. Mo Wagner received only 3 points for being 2nd Team All-Big 10. The discrepancy between the two in that scenario would be wildly excessive. I think 10 points total is fair, though, for NPOY .

Silva would have received 4 points, either way, as 1st Team or DPOY. But, he is a good player, no doubt. And I suppose the SEC has a little bit of a margin for error because they allow 8 players on their 1st team.

It's not a multi-tiered scoring system for postseason accolades. You only receive points for your highest accolade. Last year, Jalen Brunson would have received 29 points after being named NPOY, 1st Team All-American, Big East POY, and 1st Team All-Big East. Mo Wagner received only 3 points for being 2nd Team All-Big 10. The discrepancy between the two in that scenario would be wildly excessive. I think 10 points total is fair, though, for NPOY .

Silva would have received 4 points, either way, as 1st Team or DPOY. But, he is a good player, no doubt. And I suppose the SEC has a little bit of a margin for error because they allow 8 players on their 1st team.

wait, seriously?? You don't get extra points for being DPOY in addition to making an all conference team? That seems odd. Not to mention I based my whole draft strategy on that lol.

Reactions: jhmossy
wait, seriously?? You don't get extra points for being DPOY in addition to making an all conference team? That seems odd. Not to mention I based my whole draft strategy on that lol.

We haven't talked about it a whole lot, but I have referenced it a few times. You can revise your picks, if you like. Also, I posted the results from last year. Only 10 players exceeded a composite score of 13. The scenario you're presenting blows the scores out of proportion. Rewarding multiple awards would unreasonably inflate the scores, IMO. I'm not a fan of that because like the scenario I presented earlier, Jalen Brunson gets 29 points and Mo Wagner gets 3 points. A 26 point spread is ridiculous, when you consider the fact that Brunson was only +2 in win shares.

2018 Results if players are rewarded only for one postseason accolade:

-Jalen Brunson: 7.7 win shares + 10 points for NPOY = 17.7 composite score
-Mo Wagner: 5.7 win shares + 3 points for 2nd Team All-Big 10 = 8.7 composite score

If players are rewarded for multiple accolades:

-Jalen Brunson: 7.7 win shares + 10 points for NPOY + 9 points for 1st Team All-American + 5 points for Big East POY + 4 points for 1st Team All Big East = 36.7 composite score
- Mo Wagner: composite score remains at 8.7

Brunson and Wagner were the #1 guys for title contenders. There's a big difference between being -9 and -28. I don't want to excessively reward subjectivity. It should be a 50/50 split between production and awards. My posts below reference this idea. But as I mentioned, feel free to revise your picks, if you'd like.

Nope. You only get points for whatever is the highest accolade. Off of that scenario, Jalen Brunson would have received 29 points alone, just from postseason awards. 10 for NCAA POY, 9 for 1st Team AA, 5 for Big East POY, and 4 for 1st Team All-Big East. That seems a bit excessive to me.

Also, the Win Shares and Postseason accolades are supposed to be close to a 50-50 distribution. If you look at the highest win shares per season, only 9 players have reached 10 win shares or higher. Essentially, 20 would be the perfect score - 10 points in win shares and 10 points for being National Player of the Year.

...Each player should only receive points for one award - whichever award grants him the most points, of course. If we allow multiple scoring points for multiple awards, I think we would be unnecessarily inflating players' values according to subjective opinions.

10 points- National Player of the Year (AP for All-American Teams)
9 points- 1st Team All-American
8 points- 2nd Team All-American
7 points- 3rd Team All-American; NABC Defensive POY
6 points- Honorable Mention All-American
5 points- Conference Player of the Year
4 points- 1st Team All-Conference; Conference Defensive POY
3 points- 2nd Team All-Conference
2 points- 3rd Team All-Conference; All-Conference Defense
1 point- Honorable Mention All-Conference

I really love the Win Share/Awards combo, because essentially the highest ranking you can get for Win Shares is a 10. Shane Battier had 10.1 win shares in 2001, Brand had 10.0 in 1999, and Anthony Davis was at 9.9 in 2012. It's a perfect mixture where 10 is essentially he highest score on both sides.

I have the beet lineup. Multiple returning 20 point scorers from last season. Seniors. Get on board guys

We haven't talked about it a whole lot, but I have referenced it a few times. You can revise your picks, if you like. Also, I posted the results from last year. Only 10 players exceeded a composite score of 13. The scenario you're presenting blows the scores out of proportion. Rewarding multiple awards would unreasonably inflate the scores, IMO. I'm not a fan of that because like the scenario I presented earlier, Jalen Brunson gets 29 points and Mo Wagner gets 3 points. A 26 point spread is ridiculous, when you consider the fact that Brunson was only +2 in win shares.

2018 Results if players are rewarded only for one postseason accolade:

-Jalen Brunson: 7.7 win shares + 10 points for NPOY = 17.7 composite score
-Mo Wagner: 5.7 win shares + 3 points for 2nd Team All-Big 10 = 8.7 composite score

If players are rewarded for multiple accolades:

-Jalen Brunson: 7.7 win shares + 10 points for NPOY + 9 points for 1st Team All-American + 5 points for Big East POY + 4 points for 1st Team All Big East = 36.7 composite score
- Mo Wagner: composite score remains at 8.7

Brunson and Wagner were the #1 guys for title contenders. There's a big difference between being -9 and -28. I don't want to excessively reward subjectivity. It should be a 50/50 split between production and awards. My posts below reference this idea. But as I mentioned, feel free to revise your picks, if you'd like.

It's no big deal, just playing for fun.

But, I think DPOY is different from being on an all conference or AA team and should be awarded separately. I understand the point of not doubling down on points, but that should only affect national and conference honors, I.e. if you win NPOY you can't get AA points as well and if you win Conference POY you can't get all conf points as well. I just feel that DPOY is a unique award that doesn't guarantee points from other categories and should be treated as something different.

Afterall, there's only 1 DPOY per conference. Seems like we should reward people who were able to pick the guys who win that award.

But like I said, doesn't matter since this is all for fun. maybe something to think about for next year.

It's no big deal, just playing for fun.

But, I think DPOY is different from being on an all conference or AA team and should be awarded separately. I understand the point of not doubling down on points, but that should only affect national and conference honors, I.e. if you win NPOY you can't get AA points as well and if you win Conference POY you can't get all conf points as well. I just feel that DPOY is a unique award that doesn't guarantee points from other categories and should be treated as something different.

Afterall, there's only 1 DPOY per conference. Seems like we should reward people who were able to pick the guys who win that award.

But like I said, doesn't matter since this is all for fun. maybe something to think about for next year.

Most of the guys that win DPOY end up on one of the All-Conference teams. On a larger scale, just take a look at some of the National DPOY. 3 of the guys this century were National Defensive POY and Player of the Year... Anthony Davis, Shane Battier, and Kenyon Martin. Being a great defender helps them in their cause for making an all-conference team or an all-american team.

Jevon Carter, 2nd Team All-American
Malcolm Brogdon, 1st Team All-American
Willie Cauley-Stein, 1st Team All-American
Jeff Withey, 3rd Team All-American
Anthony Davis, National POY
Kenneth Faried, 3rd Team All-American
Hasheem Thabeet, 2nd Team All-American
Greg Oden, 1st Team All-American
Shelden Williams, 1st Team All-American (06) / 3rd Team AA (05)
Emeka Okafor, 1st Team All-American
Shane Battier, National POY
Kenyon Martin, National POY

WCS had no business on the first team all American team

I agree, his stats weren't exactly eye-popping. But Kentucky was 38-0 when the All-American teams were released - and nobody on UK averaged more than 26 minutes a game... Guess the voters just decided to go with the upperclassmen/leader.

I'm going to go ahead and draft my unofficial JV team. I don't think these guys will fare as well as last season, as I think the owners of this draft did a much better job at researching. But I'll take a stab, nonetheless.

Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Virginia Tech
Phil Booth, Villanova
Jalen Hudson, Florida
Nick Ward, Michigan State
Remy Martin, Arizona State
Killian Tillie, Gonzaga
Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati
Andre Spight, Northern Colorado
Vasa Pusica, Northeastern
Roosevelt Smart, North Texas

Reactions: WojoRising
Iirc Nick Ward did quite well for me last year, actually meant to pick him up round ten but couldn’t pass on Magee

Iirc Nick Ward did quite well for me last year, actually meant to pick him up round ten but couldn’t pass on Magee

Ward is ridiculously efficient. If he's able to get enough minutes, he will be 1st Team All-Conference, IMO. He had a player efficiency rating of 32.4, which only trailed Jock Landale and DeAndre Ayton. Problem is, he only averaged 19 minutes a game.

Ward is ridiculously efficient. If he's able to get enough minutes, he will be 1st Team All-Conference, IMO. He had a player efficiency rating of 32.4, which only trailed Jock Landale and DeAndre Ayton. Problem is, he only averaged 19 minutes a game.

He gets destroyed in ball screens. Teams exploit him so much in those it doesnt benefit playing him, even with the efficient offense. To make matters worse, MSUs point guard Ca$$ius Winston is also terrible against ball screens so opposing teams bum hunt them both at the same time and put them in PnR defense together. This made Nick Ward unplayable alot of times down the stretch for Izzo.

He gets destroyed in ball screens. Teams exploit him so much in those it doesnt benefit playing him, even with the efficient offense. To make matters worse, MSUs point guard Ca$$ius Winston is also terrible against ball screens so opposing teams bum hunt them both at the same time and put them in PnR defense together. This made Nick Ward unplayable alot of times down the stretch for Izzo.

Makes sense.

I've gathered that you're a Big 10 fan minus Michigan State. But who is you're #1 team, out of curiosity? Not trying to flame or anything, I just don't know if I've seen you explicitly state whether it's Michigan, Wisconsin, or some other school.

Makes sense.

I've gathered that you're a Big 10 fan minus Michigan State. But who is you're #1 team, out of curiosity? Not trying to flame or anything, I just don't know if I've seen you explicitly state whether it's Michigan, Wisconsin, or some other school.

I genuinely dont know. B1G is impossible to forecast this year. Alot if variance in potential outcomes.

If I had to choose one, I think Michigan is the best team. I really like Wisconsin as well. Nebraska and Purdue up there as well. I think Illinois is going to shock people and be really good as well.

I genuinely dont know. B1G is impossible to forecast this year. Alot if variance in potential outcomes.

If I had to choose one, I think Michigan is the best team. I really like Wisconsin as well. Nebraska and Purdue up there as well. I think Illinois is going to shock people and be really good as well.

I meant to ask which team do you root for?

Primarily Purdue, but also slap hard for Michigan, Wisconsin, and Northwestern.

I'm temporarily on the bandwagons of Illinois and Iowa this year as well.
You’ll make a great ku fan when they’re running the conference starting in 2026.

1. Phil Booth - Villanova
2. Kenny Williams - UNC
3. BJ Taylor - UCF
4. Fletcher Magee - Wofford
5. Vasa Pusica - Northeastern
6. Justin James - Wyoming
7. Kyle Allman - Cal State Fullerton
8. RJ Cole - Howard
9. Justin Wright-Foreman - Hofstra
10. Jerrick Harding - Weber State

If there is a double somewhere let me know.

Switch Magee with Max Heidegger - UC Santa Barbara.

Apparently Mr irrelevant was Magee. = /

ADVERTISEMENT