ADVERTISEMENT

#2 UVA at #4 Duke

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
Figured I'd get this thread started early. Easily one of the biggest games of the regular season. Win or lose, really looking forward to seeing how our elite D hands your elite O. Not feeling confident about a win but we'll see what happens.

Not feeling super confident either. Should be a good game.

Keys to a win for Duke:
Duval plays smart
Grayson and Trent hit 3s
We play perimeter defense

Good luck....just not enough to win ;)

Not feeling super confident either. Should be a good game.

Keys to a win for Duke:
Duval plays smart
Grayson and Trent hit 3s
We play perimeter defense

Good luck....just not enough to win ;)

All key factors but biggest one for me is how well UVA rebounds on the defensive end. Duke's offensive rebounding is elite (40% of their misses). I just don't think we have the horses to compete with Carter and Bagley down low. I worry less about the first shot but the tips and secondary possessions are probably the difference.

Duke wins 69-63

Hmm....as a Purdue fan, I'm a little torn. We are battling both squads for a 1 seed and it looks like Duke has a little harder schedule the rest of the way so I guess I'm rooting for Duke.

Damn, I think I'm going to go take a shower for typing that.

IMO, the winner of this game is almost guaranteed a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament barring a strange collapse and will likely win the ACC Regular Season (UVA more so than Duke).

Most Duke fans don't neccessarily care about this but we haven't won the ACC Regular Season outright since JJ Redick was on campus (we tied with Maryland in 2010) and winning that is very important to me this year since our ACC schedule is a laugher and we're the most talented team in the conference by a mile.

If we beat UVA we should since I don't see the Hoos not dropping at least 1 more game with their harder schedule.

Duke has found a lot of success against uva recently. We seem to be one of those teams that always does well against their defense like Michigan state. I could be wrong but being at home and due to recent success I’d say we have the advantage

Duke has found a lot of success against uva recently. We seem to be one of those teams that always does well against their defense like Michigan state. I could be wrong but being at home and due to recent success I’d say we have the advantage
One of Duke's OADs always seems to go nuclear vs UVA.

2017: Tatum
2016: Ingram
2015: Tyus Jones (game winning dagger too)
2014: Jabari Parker

2018: ???

This game should’ve been the espn gameday game. It deserves to be on during the prime time sat night.

Reactions: bignish
It’s gonna give me an elite O...face

You're going to be handling my elite D Saturday.

Why don't you 2 go put your elite Ds in each other's A Os.

11essentialthingsgayguyslove.jpeg

Last edited:

I was at that game with my wife....her first ever game in Cameron. Within minutes I had three or four friends texting me and saying he traveled. I assumed they meant on the drive, at the time. Not until later that evening at the bar did I see the replay.

As for the game, I think if Duke gets to 70 they will win. Can they get there? While we've had UVA's number, per se, all of the games have been incredibly competitive. At some point, I worry one will go their way. But ultimately, I don't think it will be this Saturday. I'd Duke wins 71-64.

Reactions: tw3301
I was at that game with my wife....her first ever game in Cameron. Within minutes I had three or four friends texting me and saying he traveled. I assumed they meant on the drive, at the time. Not until later that evening at the bar did I see the replay.

It was a hell of a drive. Probably got fouled but I'd rather have him have to earn it at the line than what happened :(

As for the game, I think if Duke gets to 70 they will win. Can they get there? While we've had UVA's number, per se, all of the games have been incredibly competitive. At some point, I worry one will go their way. But ultimately, I don't think it will be this Saturday. I'd Duke wins 71-64.

I think that's a reasonable prediction. I like Duke 69-63. I'll sacrifice the regular season loss if we get the win in the ACCT again.

UVA doubles-up in the post quicker/better than anyone in country. I don't think you can just throw entry passes into Bagley/Carter all day and expect them to score; more than likely they'll be passing it back out to shooters on the wing... but it will also require Duval/Grayson to drive to the basket often if they're going to involve the bigs.

Guy, Hall, and Jerome are all elite-shooters. Sometimes our perimeter defense is a bit lackadaisical. Hopefully we're fully engaged because this game will not come easy. Should be a good one. Duke 67, UVA 64

Kind of reminds me of 2015. Wasn't Duke 4th and UVA 2nd (and undefeated)? Hoping for similar results.

I think that's a reasonable prediction. I like Duke 69-63. I'll sacrifice the regular season loss if we get the win in the ACCT again.

Yeah, even if Duke beats you guys, I don't see anyone else on your schedule that will beat you in conference. That also means Duke has to go undefeated the rest of the way to even have a shot at No.1 seed in ACCT. So, early congrats on the No. 1 seed.

I think Duke will win the ACCT as the No. 2 seed.

Reactions: pisgah101
Negative. He has not.
Wow. We haven't lost to UVa since '14? I would not have guessed that, off the top of my head.

I'm glad this is at Cameron. We're going to need every advantage we can get. I continue to be amazed at how Bennett has kept UVa near the top of the ACC w/o any household names on the roster.

I Called a travel on that when I was watching. Missed call for sure.

The 2015 game at UVA was the Tyus and Cook show. That was a very big win for that young team.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Duval is going to have to be more Hyde than Jekyll Saturday. He was awful in the second half last night.

ADVERTISEMENT