ADVERTISEMENT

18-19 NBA Thread

Maybe why stars don't seem to want to play with Lebron. You know you'd have no shot at an MVP award on his team, and if the team underachieves guess who gets blamed? Not Lebron....at least from the fanboys in the media.
The funny thing is I think all it comes down to is marketability. James casts a large shadow, and rightfully so.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
While true about what Bird did, his back was so far gone that he couldn’t even sit on the bench anymore to collect that money. Players back then almost all do what players of today do as long as someone will or were willing to pay them. Bird was always a dude that didn’t do conventional.
Yeah but the owner still tried to push him to take it, for all he did for the franchise/NBA.

One of the truly greatest players if all time. I've watched his documentary probably 6 times lol

The funny thing is I think all it comes down to is marketability. James casts a large shadow, and rightfully so.
Maybe, but not so sure. I think there was much truth in KD's comments.

This Sixers bench is brutally bad but my god is Embiid just an absolute force of nature at center.

Another 35 point/10+ board game and sitting at 26.9/13.5/3.5 assists on the seaon.

Best center in the league since Lakers era Shaq and he is still rightfully sitting at 3rd or 4th in the MVP race.

Crazy how not as useful a truly good center is in the modern nba compared to even 10-15 years ago.

This Sixers bench is brutally bad but my god is Embiid just an absolute force of nature at center.

Another 35 point/10+ board game and sitting at 26.9/13.5/3.5 assists on the seaon.

Best center in the league since Lakers era Shaq and he is still rightfully sitting at 3rd or 4th in the MVP race.

Crazy how not as useful a truly good center is in the modern nba compared to even 10-15 years ago.
Embiid is a monster. They do need to fix that bench though. Boston, Toronto, Milwaukee and Indiana all have quality depth. Helps absorb minutes for when the rotations tighten in the playoffs to not drain your stars in the regular season.

Reactions: dtgold88

Embiid dominates Towns, outshines Butler
While the game’s focus was on Butler taking on his former teammates, Joel Embiid did the heavy lifting against Minnesota, logging 31 points, 13 rebounds and three assists while thoroughly outplaying his All-Star post counterpart Karl-Anthony Towns.

Towns, one of the prime targets of Butler’s wrath prior to leaving Minnesota, was meek in comparison, tallying 13 points, three rebounds and two assists and an eye-popping minus-42 in the plus/minus column.

'don't turn around don't turn around'
DxfQJV3UcAAOLut.jpg

Jojo went for 26 and 20 against Cousins @ golden state.
Big time win for the sixers. Looks like cousins is making a pretty solid recovery from that injury as well. His stats weren't great but he looks pretty fluid.

Reactions: UKcats1988
what the heck is going on in Boston, @denniden ? Cold stretch or the dysfunction many are making it out to be?

Cannot say I saw much of the game but saw Kyrie's #s from the last one and figured he was the least of their troubles. Then saw he was something like -17 and they had an 18-6 run with him on the bench.

Are they counting the minutes until he's gone there?

what the heck is going on in Boston, @denniden ? Cold stretch or the dysfunction many are making it out to be?

Cannot say I saw much of the game but saw Kyrie's #s from the last one and figured he was the least of their troubles. Then saw he was something like -17 and they had an 18-6 run with him on the bench.

Are they counting the minutes until he's gone there?
It’s been an inconsistent year in general. From the beginning. I am one of the fans who has wanted to see more of the younger guys playing to build on what they accomplished in the playoffs last year. Rozier, Brown and Tatum specifically. With Kyrie they all have had to change theirs roles and not subtly either. For good reason, Kyrie is a stud. It’s comes at a price though. Mainly it upsets a few guys who went through the battles and earned the right to carry this team. I firmly believe that’s what Brad Stevens wants as well. Tough to do with Kyrie around for more than just his talent in the floor.

It’s been an inconsistent year in general. From the beginning. I am one of the fans who has wanted to see more of the younger guys playing to build on what they accomplished in the playoffs last year. Rozier, Brown and Tatum specifically. With Kyrie they all have had to change theirs roles and not subtly either. For good reason, Kyrie is a stud. It’s comes at a price though. Mainly it upsets a few guys who went through the battles and earned the right to carry this team. I firmly believe that’s what Brad Stevens wants as well. Tough to do with Kyrie around for more than just his talent in the floor.
Kyrie's earned the right to lead a championship caliber team as well so Boston might not be the best fit for him at this time.

I'm ok with him teaming up with his peers in the sport KD and AD and winning a title for NYK.

Kyrie's earned the right to lead a championship caliber team as well so Boston might not be the best fit for him at this time.

I'm ok with him teaming up with his peers in the sport KD and AD and winning a title for NYK.
He has a championship caliber roster on the team he is on now. Sure the odds are gr after if he had AD and KD playing alongside but he already has a team that was one game from the finals that he suits up with every night. The only difference with the roster is that he and Hayward are actually playing and he hey are both all stars. At what point does it become not the issue of “younger players needing to know their roles?”

You know I like the guy, but Ty Lue would get shredded for that last comment (if true). Stevens is the coach. If he wants it, why doesn't he make it happen?

Would seem guys like Brown and Rozier probably play better when Kyrie isn't playing. Tatum, too?

Never liked the signing when it happened, but hope Hayward improves as I do like the guy.

He has a championship caliber roster on the team he is on now. Sure the odds are gr after if he had AD and KD playing alongside but he already has a team that was one game from the finals that he suits up with every night. The only difference with the roster is that he and Hayward are actually playing and he hey are both all stars. At what point does it become not the issue of “younger players needing to know their roles?”
While I mentioned Stevens in my last comment, this is what I believe. And I like when it's a coach people like the truth is what we hear.......hold the player's accountable. Coach matters, sure, but refreshing to see the players get blamed if there is any.

You know I like the guy, but Ty Lue would get shredded for that last comment (if true). Stevens is the coach. If he wants it, why doesn't he make it happen?

Would seem guys like Brown and Rozier probably play better when Kyrie isn't playing. Tatum, too?

Never liked the signing when it happened, but hope Hayward improves as I do like the guy.
Hayward is fine. Paul George wasn't an all star the year he returned from snapping his leg in half. I am not sure why people expect Hayward to be. He gets a big time pass from me this season.

Brown has been very good with or without Irving lately. I'd say for 2 months now. He was terrible before that and looked lost on both ends like he did for much of his rookie year. Tatum is really good no matter who is on the floor but he relied on more when Kyrie isn't playing and Tatum is really good on both defense and offense. He has a complete game that he gets to show more when Irving isn't in the lineup. The two guys that I think play better without Irving are Rozier and Hayward. Rozier is a beast when he starts. When Kyrie plays. Rozier isn't heard from much.

Thought this was harsh when I first saw it, but might be true regarding LA........

One of the worst team makeups and offseasons that I have ever seen surrounding a top player. You couldn't do worse if you tried. Everyone in the past always talked about how the Cavs didn't do enough to keep Lebron, didn't get the players at one time, etc....that isn't even close to how bad the FO has been for the Lakers. The Cavs spent for Lebron and actually got a FA. THESE ARE THE LAKERS and their recent drafts have been so bad you can't trade young players and picks for a top player. What a joke, really a joke of a franchise presently. I would be embarrassed to be a Laker fan right now

Cannot believe how many thought he left the Cavs because of the FO to join that mess

Thought this was harsh when I first saw it, but might be true regarding LA........

One of the worst team makeups and offseasons that I have ever seen surrounding a top player. You couldn't do worse if you tried. Everyone in the past always talked about how the Cavs didn't do enough to keep Lebron, didn't get the players at one time, etc....that isn't even close to how bad the FO has been for the Lakers. The Cavs spent for Lebron and actually got a FA. THESE ARE THE LAKERS and their recent drafts have been so bad you can't trade young players and picks for a top player. What a joke, really a joke of a franchise presently. I would be embarrassed to be a Laker fan right now

Cannot believe how many thought he left the Cavs because of the FO to join that mess

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26137383/lebron-first-season-los-angeles-become-disaster

I though Cleveland was willing to do whatever it took to appease Lebron. I never saw the blame completely falling on management. I’m sure they aren’t without blame either but it isn’t like the franchise was not serious about winning.

I’m not certain winning this year was the top priority for the Laker franchise.

I though Cleveland was willing to do whatever it took to appease Lebron. I never saw the blame completely falling on management. I’m sure they aren’t without blame either but it isn’t like the franchise was not serious about winning.

I’m not certain winning this year was the top priority for the Laker franchise.
I agree with this, but so many reports came out that fans ate up. I'm sure you heard them

**Firing Griffin was the beginning of the end for Lebron - never mind he wasn't fired and he still is not a GM

**Trading Kyrie was the end for him - never mind Lebron wouldn't even call Kyrie to change his mind (since Lebron was the reason he wanted out), and also Lebron was told if he'd commit to stay they'd keep him. He wouldn't.

I'm sure they made mistakes, though, as all teams have done. But the fact is the cavs had 4 years to rebuild and went to Finals in his first year back. LA is in year 6 of a rebuild and will not even make the playoffs.

Their mistakes are almost comical in just the last couple years

And I don't buy for a second they wanted to win. Sure, failing to land a 2nd star and missing the playoffs Magic will try to sell that narrative. Might even say it's better to save Lebron for next year's run. I don't buy it. He's been a disaster.

My guess is even though he's probably the least to blame among Lebron, Magic, himself and Pelinka, Walton of course is the fall guy.

I'm not so sure. Lebron likes young coaches he can at least somewhat control. If they fire Walton, who do they hire?

I'm not so sure. Lebron likes young coaches he can at least somewhat control. If they fire Walton, who do they hire?
Not even sure it will completely be Lebron's decision as we know Magic isn't firing himself for this catastrophe.

I do agree the notion Lebron is a coach killer is a little overblown. Only guy I think he wanted gone was Blatt.

Not even sure it will completely be Lebron's decision as we know Magic isn't firing himself for this catastrophe.

I do agree the notion Lebron is a coach killer is a little overblown. Only guy I think he wanted gone was Blatt.
Obviously not completely. But they sure won't hire someone without consulting with him.

ADVERTISEMENT