ADVERTISEMENT

18-19 NBA Thread

Turns out giving a guy who doesn't really like basketball $160 million is a bad idea. Who knew??
giphy.gif

They're all playing a game. Fans are the pawns.

Reactions: sgrooms
Guys like Larry Bird have to utter WTF when they see these contracts
Larry Bird and Magic Johnson both. They would be worth the price tag as well.

No offense to Andrew Wiggins but he is stealing money from the T-Wolves. He is a good scorer of the ball at times, but he doesn't do too much on the court outside of that. At least not that I have seen.

No offense to Andrew Wiggins but he is stealing money from the T-Wolves. He is a good scorer of the ball at times, but he doesn't do too much on the court outside of that. At least not that I have seen.

It's ok, he deserves to be offended. Guy is stealing and ruining a franchise all in one swoop.

Reactions: dtgold88

He had potential to be a top ten type player...but every area he was going to grow into hasn't happened. Poor defense---which is absurd with his length, vertical, and athleticism. Poor shot selection---like he doesn't want to work hard enough to blow by his defender. No killer instinct---seems like he is engaged and has 10-15 minutes where he cant be stopped---then folds his arms and disengages for the rest of the game. One of the most strange traits for such a gifted athlete.

He had potential to be a top ten type player...but every area he was going to grow into hasn't happened. Poor defense---which is absurd with his length, vertical, and athleticism. Poor shot selection---like he doesn't want to work hard enough to blow by his defender. No killer instinct---seems like he is engaged and has 10-15 minutes where he cant be stopped---then folds his arms and disengages for the rest of the game. One of the most strange traits for such a gifted athlete.
Wiggins has always been a poor defender and much of that has to do with effort. Or in this case a lack of it. His lack of fire always concerned the most though. I know many say it is his personality being laid back and that is all well and good, but there is a difference in being laid back and playing with no passion. Plenty of guys are quiet but play their butts off to win. Kahwai Leonard comes to mind. I think we could see Wiggins retire early after his big contract years are past him.

Nuggets are fun to watch. Jokic has turned into the best center in the nba probably.

OKC’s defense is so good. They’re clicking pretty well this season. Moving the ball more.

Giannis has to be the front runner for MVP I’m guessing.

LeBron is a game back of the Warriors. Who would've predicted that? Injuries and all, but still, The King is doing work.
Curry being back is huge. Creates spacing. First time their have looked vulnerable.

Wiggins had one of the best defensive preformances of his career last night. His defense is actually solid to good now. The rub with him right now is his inefficiency on offense.

Purple and Gold baby!
I love hearing the fanboys in the media who eat up everything Lebron or Magic tells them and will never criticize for anything

Magic says something like we don't want to play a Cavs' style, meaning too high usage for Lebron. Newsflash...neither did the Cavs, but Lebron does what he wants.

I guess they also copied the Cavs watching their best player walk, only the Lakers could have kept theirs.

Reactions: denniden
Curry being back is huge. Creates spacing. First time their have looked vulnerable.

Steph is unfair at times. When he’s going they’re a runaway train.

For the life of me I can't figure out how Curry hasn't been a Finals MVP yet? It's so freaking obvious that it's his mere presence on the court that forces the D to spread out to cover out to 35 feet, and this spreading is what allows guys like Durant, Iggy, and draymond to get to their spots.

The media fawns all over Durant when he goes for 35 in a Finals game, but that's only possible because of Curry on the court. Curry has a title without Durant. Durant doesn't have one without Curry.

Reactions: toonces11
For the life of me I can't figure out how Curry hasn't been a Finals MVP yet? It's so freaking obvious that it's his mere presence on the court that forces the D to spread out to cover out to 35 feet, and this spreading is what allows guys like Durant, Iggy, and draymond to get to their spots.

The media fawns all over Durant when he goes for 35 in a Finals game, but that's only possible because of Curry on the court. Curry has a title without Durant. Durant doesn't have one without Curry.
Guess if I'm playing devils' advocate they saw the Cavs take down Curry and GS in 2016-17 (after taking them to 6 the previous year without Love/Kyrie, then lose 8-1 in the next 2 Finals?

Durant was pretty good before he arrived in GS, but agree a guy like Curry helps out role players like Iggy and Green.

Guess if I'm playing devils' advocate they saw the Cavs take down Curry and GS in 2016-17 (after taking them to 6 the previous year without Love/Kyrie, then lose 8-1 in the next 2 Finals?

Durant was pretty good before he arrived in GS, but agree a guy like Curry helps out role players like Iggy and Green.

Ehh. Just because Lebron and Kyrie put on a ridiculous, Herculean show in the 15-16 Finals (I think you meant to say 15-16...), doesn't mean Curry shouldn't have been the Finals MVP in the 17-18. Those are totally different years.

Ehh. Just because Lebron and Kyrie put on a ridiculous, Herculean show in the 15-16 Finals (I think you meant to say 15-16...), doesn't mean Curry shouldn't have been the Finals MVP in the 17-18. Those are totally different years.
Yep, meant 15=16. ........Agreed, but I'm not even sure he wins MVP had GS won game 7. Might have been Green.

Also don't think he was deserving in 2014-15 and that was with no Kyrie (or Love). My vote would have gone to Durant in 17-18, but not like Curry was anything but spectacular that year.

I love hearing the fanboys in the media who eat up everything Lebron or Magic tells them and will never criticize for anything

Magic says something like we don't want to play a Cavs' style, meaning too high usage for Lebron. Newsflash...neither did the Cavs, but Lebron does what he wants.

I guess they also copied the Cavs watching their best player walk, only the Lakers could have kept theirs.
The "fanboys" seem to all work for one network too.

I have to laugh at Magic thinking he could control James usage. The only one that can control that is Lebron himself. Everyone knows this,. Including pending big name free agents.

The "fanboys" seem to all work for one network too.

I have to laugh at Magic thinking he could control James usage. The only one that can control that is Lebron himself. Everyone knows this,. Including pending big name free agents.
I cannot believe how rarely it gets a mention (maybe not ever) they just let Randle walk. Gilbert and the Cavs FO would have been crushed if they allowed that to happen. And rightfully so. He might not be a superstar, but he'd easily be their best player not named Lebron.

I cannot believe how rarely it gets a mention (maybe not ever) they just let Randle walk. Gilbert and the Cavs FO would have been crushed if they allowed that to happen. And rightfully so. He might not be a superstar, but he'd easily be their best player not named Lebron.
I was hoping Danny Ainge tried somehow to get Randle this past off season. Solid player who has a big motor. Would be an important player on a winning team. IMO.

Not many would get a pass for letting Randle walk.

I was hoping Danny Ainge tried somehow to get Randle this past off season. Solid player who has a big motor. Would be an important player on a winning team. IMO.

Not many would get a pass for letting Randle walk.
He's be an excellent fit in Boston. Can't imagine they'd have let a guy like that walk when they owned his Bird Rights in hopes of MAYBE adding a name player the following season.

Not sure if you've seen it but if not you should hear the crap the Cavs still take over the Kyrie trade and how it was the beginning of the end for them (and Lebron staying). Never mind the guy who was the reason Kyrie wanted out couldn't be bothered to call the kid and try and straighten it out. Or that Gilbert/Altman told Lebron they'd keep him if Lebron would commit to stay. He wouldn't.

He's be an excellent fit in Boston. Can't imagine they'd have let a guy like that walk when they owned his Bird Rights in hopes of MAYBE adding a name player the following season.

Not sure if you've seen it but if not you should hear the crap the Cavs still take over the Kyrie trade and how it was the beginning of the end for them (and Lebron staying). Never mind the guy who was the reason Kyrie wanted out couldn't be bothered to call the kid and try and straighten it out. Or that Gilbert/Altman told Lebron they'd keep him if Lebron would commit to stay. He wouldn't.
Boston avoided letting Marcus Smart walk by signing him. Similar type impact player, albeit in different ways.

I’ve seen some of the stuff regarding James and the stuff with the front office. James did bring a title to Cleveland, so that’s a positive. Other than that he left the organization is full out rebuild mode.

Boston avoided letting Marcus Smart walk by signing him. Similar type impact player, albeit in different ways.

I’ve seen some of the stuff regarding James and the stuff with the front office. James did bring a title to Cleveland, so that’s a positive. Other than that he left the organization is full out rebuild mode.
Good analogy with Smart (though I do think Randle is a little more talented).......Just too many fans who have to be 100% on one side or the other when discussing a sports topic/player. Never an in between. Almost like politics with most.

what would be so wrong with saying I can appreciate what Lebron and Gilbert each did for the Cavs but I cannot say I like either of them? Or I do think Lebron is in the discussion for the GOAT but, again, I really don't like the guy (and thought the same when he was here)?

Good analogy with Smart (though I do think Randle is a little more talented).......Just too many fans who have to be 100% on one side or the other when discussing a sports topic/player. Never an in between. Almost like politics with most.

what would be so wrong with saying I can appreciate what Lebron and Gilbert each did for the Cavs but I cannot say I like either of them? Or I do think Lebron is in the discussion for the GOAT but, again, I really don't like the guy (and thought the same when he was here)?
Smarts talents are all team oriented stuff. It is rare to see a guy not care one bit about personal stats in the NBA.

Appreciate Who and what brought the title and move on is the approach I take. Lebron should be celebrated in Cleveland IMO and I am far from a fan of his.

Smarts talents are all team oriented stuff. It is rare to see a guy not care one bit about personal stats in the NBA.

Appreciate Who and what brought the title and move on is the approach I take. Lebron should be celebrated in Cleveland IMO and I am far from a fan of his.
I think he will be. Number will eventually go up along with a statue.

Wish the same could be said for how most think of the owner. I really don't get it. Most are apologists of the Indians' ownership who are known to pinch pennies, but are stable. I like them as well, but give me unstable and an extreme will to win for my owner over stable and safe.

Toronto is probably the best team in the nba right now. Getting Kawhi and Danny Green for DeRozan was such a haul for them. Completely changed their ceiling.

MVP race is going to be interesting. Right now there’s no clear front runner but all these guys have good cases

Giannis
Jokic
Harden
Paul George
LeBron

Toronto is probably the best team in the nba right now. Getting Kawhi and Danny Green for DeRozan was such a haul for them. Completely changed their ceiling.

MVP race is going to be interesting. Right now there’s no clear front runner but all these guys have good cases

Giannis
Jokic
Harden
Paul George
LeBron
Agreed...maybe even AD (if his team improves) and Kyrie if they jump to top of conference.

If anything, at least this season proved Lebron should have won it last year.

Agreed...maybe even AD (if his team improves) and Kyrie if they jump to top of conference.

If anything, at least this season proved Lebron should have won it last year.
If we are being real here, name a year where Lebron hasn't been the most valuable player. He should have won that award much more than he has. It is given out for the most valuable player, correct? He is more valuable to his team that Lebron? That Cavs team last year, without James, would have had enough lottery balls to win the darn thing. With him, they were good enough to win a game against the Warriors in the finals. Not one other player in the league could have done that with that team. Harden, Curry, Westbrook, Durant, ect would not be able to accomplish that IMO. I think Durnat all but conceded that when he signed with a team that just won 73 games prior to him getting there. Of all those guys I think Westbrook is the only one who would accept that challenge head on and he couldn't do what James has done.

If we are being real here, name a year where Lebron hasn't been the most valuable player. He should have won that award much more than he has. It is given out for the most valuable player, correct? He is more valuable to his team that Lebron? That Cavs team last year, without James, would have had enough lottery balls to win the darn thing. With him, they were good enough to win a game against the Warriors in the finals. Not one other player in the league could have done that with that team. Harden, Curry, Westbrook, Durant, ect would not be able to accomplish that IMO. I think Durnat all but conceded that when he signed with a team that just won 73 games prior to him getting there. Of all those guys I think Westbrook is the only one who would accept that challenge head on and he couldn't do what James has done.
Maybe why stars don't seem to want to play with Lebron. You know you'd have no shot at an MVP award on his team, and if the team underachieves guess who gets blamed? Not Lebron....at least from the fanboys in the media.

Guys like Larry Bird have to utter WTF when they see these contracts
Yep, the minute Larry Bird knew he wasn't going to be the same player he quit right then. He didn't even pick up his option, which was essentially free money. Most players today wouldn't think of doing something like that.

Yep, the minute Larry Bird knew he wasn't going to be the same player he quit right then. He didn't even pick up his option, which was essentially free money. Most players today wouldn't think of doing something like that.
While true about what Bird did, his back was so far gone that he couldn’t even sit on the bench anymore to collect that money. Players back then almost all do what players of today do as long as someone will or were willing to pay them. Bird was always a dude that didn’t do conventional.

ADVERTISEMENT