ADVERTISEMENT

Why is College basketball in decline? And...what...

to say the AAC has nobody in their conference, doesn't know sh*t here are the teams that are known BB POWER's
Houston 14-0 formerly known as Phi Slam a Jamma led by Hakeem the Dream
Cinncinnati 12-2
UCF 11-2
Memphis
UConn who has won at least 1 National Championship
this is BB and the P5 moniker has no meaning

god I wish that people would grow up.
Man, did someone pee in your soup? You are made as hell.

Houston never won shit in football or basketball.

Cincinnati won a title in the early 1960's but not as an AAC member.

UCF has never won a title in anything, neither has Memphis.

However UConn has won three Basketball titles, which is great but not as an AAC member.

I wish you would use facts.

Reactions: tw3301
I will.

LSU did not make the championship game in the SEC. They had 3 losses.

So you can call me a f'n loser all your want, it will not change the facts.
lower level teams finish in the bottom half and LSU didn't nor have they finished in the bottom Half. your facts are fake and are only based on Hatred.

what was your excuse last year when UCF beat #6 Auburn who beat both Georgia and Alabama 2 of the 4 CFB Playoff's oh wait Auburn is a lower level SEC team. oh by the way LSU was such a lower level SEC team they are ranked #11 nationally. not are you a loser you are the biggest hater I have ever met.

However UConn has won three Basketball titles, which is great but not as an AAC member.

that's funny about Houston they were a major BB power while they were in the old SWC.
also it wasn't that long ago that Houston went13-1 beat #9 FSU then to start the 2016 season beat #3 Oklahoma but like UCF got brow beat with the media billy club
Houston also was a power in FB when they played in the SWC with Texas, TA&M, Arkansas

as was SMU. they were part of the SWC and now their BB HC is Larry Brown.

sorry but the P5 doesn't mean shit in BB.

better than basing yours on hatred.

If you aren't a fan of one of the big teams, I'm honestly not sure why you wouldn't watch the NBA to begin with. It is a far superior product 99% of the time, which is the main reason for its popularity over CBB.

However, those brushing off the impact of the refs on CBB viewership (not sure if it went past the first page... TL;DR) are kidding themselves. It isn't bias (though that does exist in some situations), it is the fact that they are just not as good as their the NBA counterparts. Ref's can absolutely ruin the flow of a game and cause casual fans to seek their entertainment elsewhere.

If you aren't a fan of one of the big teams, I'm honestly not sure why you wouldn't watch the NBA to begin with. It is a far superior product 99% of the time, which is the main reason for its popularity over CBB.

However, those brushing off the impact of the refs on CBB viewership (not sure if it went past the first page... TL;DR) are kidding themselves. It isn't bias (though that does exist in some situations), it is the fact that they are just not as good as their the NBA counterparts. Ref's can absolutely ruin the flow of a game and cause casual fans to seek their entertainment elsewhere.

Completely agree that refs can impact the flow of a game, and it makes the product unbearable at times.

I just don't think there's this inherent bias towards certain programs, and data agrees.

More of a hatred against misleading information. UCFraud.
what was misleading about it.
fact
SMU and Houston were part of the OLD SWC
Memphis is a very popular BB school and just signed 2 5* recruits including the #1 C Wiesman. to ignore that fact lends one to believe someone is a total MORON. not to mention they signed 3 4* players in the 18 class.
talk about someone mnaking up their own facts.

the AAC is a very good conference that people like you that use black jacks to keep trying to keep the AAC down.

what was misleading about it.
fact
SMU and Houston were part of the OLD SWC
Memphis is a very popular BB school and just signed 2 5* recruits including the #1 C Wiesman. to ignore that fact lends one to believe someone is a total MORON. not to mention they signed 3 4* players in the 18 class.
talk about someone mnaking up their own facts.

the AAC is a very good conference that people like you that use black jacks to keep trying to keep the AAC down.

It was misleading to imply those teams have done something this year. Again, best win of the group is against LSU. Congrats on that.

The sport is in decline in terms of viewership. I know Bilas -- who I respect a ton-- commented on this a year ago.

There is no growth. Attendance is mediocre at many programs. The stock is just flattening.

Cfball is making all the money with CFP.

I used to love the product. But it seems stale and the current generation does not seem to care.

Any ideas? Remedies.
Blame the NBA, TV deals and superpower programs.

There is no incentive for mid tier programs and small schools don't even register, despite having loyal fanbases.

Reactions: SoCalNYC
college BB is corrupt and fans are tired of the blantant cheating, the 1 n dones. players leaving after 1-3 years. oh lets not forget the new trend of players transferring because they now feel they are to good for the teams that took a chance on them and it was those coaches that put them into the position to be better.

Fans are getting tired of this and attendance is starting to suffer. it is only going to get worse. until there are major changes made.

the biggest problem that will continue to make it worse is if Petino is hired and the hype from ESPN that will come with it. the stench of hiring a cheater will only get stronger while ESPN will do their best to sweep it under the rug.

Blame the NBA, TV deals and superpower programs.

There is no incentive for mid tier programs and small schools don't even register, despite having loyal fanbases.

Agree. I know alot of older fans who have grown up to leave the game. Apathy and becoming jaded to see a rigged system and other better options.

They have now taught their kids to avoid it too. It could have been a national sport. Now it basically shrinking.

I truly believe if the powers were not so stupid and myopic, we could have had a HUGE TV DEALS. National support and a growing sport.

But again all you see is name calling from childish fans from the usual suspects. Must be great to an elite fan of sport where people dont care and the sport is nor growing. Sad.

college BB is corrupt and fans are tired of the blantant cheating, the 1 n dones. players leaving after 1-3 years. oh lets not forget the new trend of players transferring because they now feel they are to good for the teams that took a chance on them and it was those coaches that put them into the position to be better.

Fans are getting tired of this and attendance is starting to suffer. it is only going to get worse. until there are major changes made.

the biggest problem that will continue to make it worse is if Petino is hired and the hype from ESPN that will come with it. the stench of hiring a cheater will only get stronger while ESPN will do their best to sweep it under the rug.

Amen. 100% agree on the corruption view. That word comes AGAIN and AGAIN.

I know many fans over the years who say the same thing.

I have worked at some high levels so I would know. And people are sick of the corruption.

They just left. I blame the elite powers. Now they are left with a sport in decline.

Emperor has no clothes.

I saw a johnny rockets on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Never had it or seen it anywhere else.

Royal Carribean is disgusting. Last time I went on one was 2010 and the Johnny Rockets was far and away the best food on the ship. You seriously couldn't pay me to go one one of those floating shitholes again.

better than basing yours on hatred.
dragonhawk, you are something special with the venom.

I don't hate UCF. I don't hate the AAC. In fact they basically are a second rate conference. But there is no factual basis that they can compete on the level of the SEC, B1G or the ACC in football or basketball. Some day, maybe.

I love to argue but it ain't based on hate. You need to bring some facts. The AAC as a conference has won nothing. Sorry. You try to down Auburn because one time Auburn beat Alabama and UCF beat Auburn? Hell Kentucky once beat Alabama in football, but they could not stay on the field with them most years. So your selective wins is useless and negates your argument.

LSU's record this year was in the top 6 of the SEC. Sorry if you think that that makes LSU near the top. Plus LSU beat UCF. UCF would not have made the SEC championship game, if you think so you need to take football 101.

I have a couple of comments:

i) Regarding the conversation on the first two pages of this thread about the shot clock- Canadian university went to a 24 second shot clock several years ago. Before it happened I had the same view as many of you - that 24 seconds was too short a clock for that level of basketball. However, it works well and I was surprised to find out it doesn't turn the game into a mess. I actually like the 30 second shot clock because part of what makes college basketball special to me is that teams can play multiple different styles and still win. I think the shorter the shot clock, the more it turns into an athleticism contest. So I don't like it from that perspective, but if your concern is that a 24 second clock will be too quick for D1 kids, that's not the case.

ii) Regarding the original question, here are a few thoughts:

- The tournament has been glorified to the point of absurdity. 25-30 years ago the tournament was just as amazing, but it wasn't being marketed as hard. Then everyone figured out that it had massive, massive money making potential. Now you can't turn on a game in November without some reference to March Madness. The tournament is talked about from the moment the season begins until the moment it ends. Then they start talking about next year's. I think the result of that is the tournament receives more attention than ever before, but the regular season probably receives less.

- Nearly anyone can get a TV package that shows 20 games a night. When I was growing up we only had an antenna that got 3-4 channels. When a game was on CBS on Saturday afternoon it was a reason to stop everything else that you were doing and watch it with no distractions. Now I can watch Pacific play Portland in a game that starts at 11:00 EST on a Wednesday night. This is awesome for the people on this board. I will be watching literally hundreds of games this year. I think, though, for the average person it means they will watch fewer. If a very good, but not blockbuster game (say a top 5 team versus a top 20 team) is the only game on maybe the average sports fan ends up watching it. But now, what if it is one of 20 total games that is on that night. He would need to sort through all 20 games in order to find that one. People are really, really lazy. In addition, I'm not sure if this next concept has a name, but I have this issue with things other than college basketball. If my wife and I are hanging out on a Saturday afternoon together we might use the TV menu, scroll up for a couple of minutes and choose the first half crappy movie we find. But if we turn on Netflix, there is absolutely zero chance that we would ever watch that movie. In fact, we might even turn on Netflix and not end up watching any movie because it takes us so long to decide. I think this is a slightly different version of the issue I discussed at the start of this very long bullet point. If you are really passionate about a topic, you will watch anything and everything available on that topic. If you only half care about a topic, you might flip to it as a default option. But if you only half care and are presented with 20 different options of that topic, there is a decent chance you aren't going to care enough to choose one of the 20 options. I have no idea if that made sense to any of you. It's like an oversaturation which causes anyone that's not an avid fan to not even bother.

- I do also think the point that was raised earlier regarding there being more options of things to do these days is valid. Also, how do they measure how popular it is? I know many of my friends stream games online. That wouldn't be picked up in TV ratings I would assume.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

i) Regarding the conversation on the first two pages of this thread about the shot clock- Canadian university went to a 24 second shot clock several years ago. Before it happened I had the same view as many of you - that 24 seconds was too short a clock for that level of basketball. However, it works well and I was surprised to find out it doesn't turn the game into a mess. I actually like the 30 second shot clock because part of what makes college basketball special to me is that teams can play multiple different styles and still win. I think the shorter the shot clock, the more it turns into an athleticism contest. So I don't like it from that perspective, but if your concern is that a 24 second clock will be too quick for D1 kids, that's not the case.

- The tournament has been glorified to the point of absurdity. 25-30 years ago the tournament was just as amazing, but it wasn't being marketed as hard. Then everyone figured out that it had massive, massive money making potential. Now you can't turn on a game in November without some reference to March Madness. The tournament is talked about from the moment the season begins until the moment it ends. Then they start talking about next year's. I think the result of that is the tournament receives more attention than ever before, but the regular season probably receives less.

- Nearly anyone can get a TV package that shows 20 games a night. When I was growing up we only had an antenna that got 3-4 channels. When a game was on CBS on Saturday afternoon it was a reason to stop everything else that you were doing and watch it with no distractions. Now I can watch Pacific play Portland in a game that starts at 11:00 EST on a Wednesday night. This is awesome for the people on this board. I will be watching literally hundreds of games this year. I think, though, for the average person it means they will watch fewer. If a very good, but not blockbuster game (say a top 5 team versus a top 20 team) is the only game on maybe the average sports fan ends up watching it. But now, what if it is one of 20 total games that is on that night. He would need to sort through all 20 games in order to find that one. People are really, really lazy. In addition, I'm not sure if this next concept has a name, but I have this issue with things other than college basketball. If my wife and I are hanging out on a Saturday afternoon together we might use the TV menu, scroll up for a couple of minutes and choose the first half crappy movie we find. But if we turn on Netflix, there is absolutely zero chance that we would ever watch that movie. In fact, we might even turn on Netflix and not end up watching any movie because it takes us so long to decide. I think this is a slightly different version of the issue I discussed at the start of this very long bullet point. If you are really passionate about a topic, you will watch anything and everything available on that topic. If you only half care about a topic, you might flip to it as a default option. But if you only half care and are presented with 20 different options of that topic, there is a decent chance you aren't going to care enough to choose one of the 20 options. I have no idea if that made sense to any of you. It's like an oversaturation which causes anyone that's not an avid fan to not even bother.

- I do also think the point that was raised earlier regarding there being more options of things to do these days is valid. Also, how do they measure how popular it is? I know many of my friends stream games online. That wouldn't be picked up in TV ratings I would assume.
What you're referring to is called the paradox of choice.

For example, if we go out for ice cream, and they have vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry, you make your choice and are pretty well satisfied (or to your point, in 1960 you had NBC, CBS, and ABC.)

But when you go to a place that has 10 or 20 flavors, well, hey.....peanut butter cup sounds good. But what about mint chocolate chip? Or brownie nut fudge?

The short version is more choice leads to less satisfaction. Giving people fewer choices actually leads to them being happier because there arent as many alternatives to weigh on their mind or lead to wishful regret and dissatisfaction (without bogging this thread down, apply this to our two party political system....makes a lot of sense eh?)

To your point about basketball, I think theres some merit. I would say, for a guy like me, Im ALWAYS going to scroll around and stop on a game. But yes, I do flip around and find the most intriguing ones throughout the evening. However, back in the day when the choices were two other stations or the one showing a game, a lot of people who dont now would just watch the game. I think thats what you were trying to say anyway.

For example, if we go out for ice cream, and they have vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry, you make your choice and are pretty well satisfied (or to your point, in 1960 you had NBC, CBS, and ABC.)

But when you go to a place that has 10 or 20 flavors, well, hey.....peanut butter cup sounds good. But what about mint chocolate chip? Or brownie nut fudge?

The short version is more choice leads to less satisfaction. Giving people fewer choices actually leads to them being happier because there arent as many alternatives to weigh on their mind or lead to wishful regret and dissatisfaction (without bogging this thread down, apply this to our two party political system....makes a lot of sense eh?)

To your point about basketball, I think theres some merit. I would say, for a guy like me, Im ALWAYS going to scroll around and stop on a game. But yes, I do flip around and find the most intriguing ones throughout the evening. However, back in the day when the choices were two other stations or the one showing a game, a lot of people who dont now would just watch the game. I think thats what you were trying to say anyway.
How true.

Now sometimes ESPN shows four games at a time, Fox a couple, CBS sometime two and one on ABC; then you have a station, like in my area, that shows the ACC, and little conferences games. So you are not left with vanilla or nothing.

How true.

Now sometimes ESPN shows four games at a time, Fox a couple, CBS sometime two and one on ABC; then you have a station, like in my area, that shows the ACC, and little conferences games. So you are not left with vanilla or nothing.
Exactly. Which is why I say I agree in part with what he said when applying it to why basketball is down. Some viewers who would have watched games in the past for reasons I outlined dont now. But guys like you and me are going to watch a game regardless.

The issue is that guys like you and me are starting to go elsewhere and not watch it anymore, when we were even after all the expanded choices. Which says to me it has more to do with the game itself, or sports fans in general.

Great post. You have great points on NCAA tourny and the Netflix generation.

Reactions: CDNCBBFan
College football every game matters, college basketball only matters in March (for most people). There is your answer.

351 Division teams, 68 team tourney at end of season, stars leaving after one year. Almost 40 automatic bids. Add it all up and fans can just wait for March to show interest. Time zone difference hurts viewership. Big games on weekdays. Not enough inter conference games. Pair it down to 96-108 teams and have more inter sectional games. Make winning conference meaning full. Settle the one and done issue so kids stay in school longer.

Reactions: KyFaninNC

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was getting at, but you explained it far more elegantly than I did.

Reactions: CB3UK
351 Division teams, 68 team tourney at end of season, stars leaving after one year. Almost 40 automatic bids. Add it all up and fans can just wait for March to show interest. Time zone difference hurts viewership. Big games on weekdays. Not enough inter conference games. Pair it down to 96-108 teams and have more inter sectional games. Make winning conference meaning full. Settle the one and done issue so kids stay in school longer.

I agree with all of this. Along with the powers realizing that expanding the sport includes giving up control.

The season is very stale for most of the schools. Who wants to be king of a niche sport? NOBODY.

Inconsistant officiating. Some refs have a clear bias against some coaches. Bad refs suffer zero penalties. Hapless NCAA will not enforce the rules equally. Refs running to the monitor every whip snitch and take 5 minutes to make a decision. It just isn't as fun to watch as it use to be, and all teams are not treated fairly. The system is stacked to favor certain teams.

1. The major problem is that there are not 351 teams worthy of being division one teams. 2. There are not enough inter conference games where top teams go head to head on a regular basis.
3. Correct the one and done rule so the turnaround among players is not so big.
4. Look into just having basketball conferences. The same should be done with football.

ADVERTISEMENT