ADVERTISEMENT

Why is College basketball in decline? And...what...

BTW, to make this thread worth something... remember those Duke/Maryland games? Those were GREAT games. Who started for them? I think I can do it from memory... Blake, Dixon, Mouton, Baxter... crap. Who was the last one?

Those were some good games. But man, Maryland fans were the worst. Ever.
Wilcox

Reactions: TheDude1
BTW, to make this thread worth something... remember those Duke/Maryland games? Those were GREAT games. Who started for them? I think I can do it from memory... Blake, Dixon, Mouton, Baxter... crap. Who was the last one?

Those were some good games. But man, Maryland fans were the worst. Ever.
I like to remember the 85-44 game in Cameron where Greivis Vásquez ran his mouth before the game about how playing in CIS was like a home game to him. It was enjoyable watching hime walk of the court with his tail between his legs.

The miracle minute would mean a whole lot more to me had I not missed it live. I will never forget seeing the headline in the paper that said Duke won that game.

Reactions: tw3301 and sgrooms
Who was the last one?
'99-'00 -- the year they broke a really long ACC winning streak and longer ACC home winning streak -- I think it was Danny Miller. Mouton was sitting out after transferring.

'00-'01 it was Terrence Morris.
'01-'02 it was Chris Tucker.

Drew Nicholas was a relevant backcourt sub. Tahj Holden was their primary post sub and I never thought he got enough credit. He'd have started for most ACC teams at the time.

The miracle minute would mean a whole lot more to me had I not missed it live. I will never forget seeing the headline in the paper that said Duke won that game.
I only heard it on the radio live. The chants of "Overrated" were way clearer and louder on the radio. I remember thinking w/ about a minute left and down 10 that if we didn't score right then I couldn't take any more of it and was going to turn it off...

And then JWill nailed a 3...

It's not whining. It's reality regarding question of why fans of college basketball are leaving the sport.

Home cooking by refs and same 5 teams getting all the great players. And yet Cash and the Mike Krybaby still cannot win titles at a higher rate than when Tubby was there or before Mike became a Supreme hypocrite - I hate one and dones.......I love one and dones.

So when Mike K whines about Dean Smith getting the benefit of whistles for years - that is ok because it is your hero.

A Terp fan has every right to say whatever he wants about Cashipari. It was was not MD who threw $$ at Disousa - it was Under Armor. Kentucky fans - hahahahaha-you are and have been dirty for generations - but because you win - everything is good??

Hypocrisy is strong for Dook and Kentucky fans - GFY!!!
I would bet that Maryland cheats far more than UK and Duke ever dreamed of and I am not saying that UK and Duke have not cheated. Williams was a whinny cheater who was caught in more lies than Stalin.

I would bet that Maryland cheats far more than UK and Duke ever dreamed of and I am not saying that UK and Duke have not cheated. Williams was a whinny cheater who was caught in more lies than Stalin.
I think the same about other parts of their history, but Williams, too? Rivalry and jokes about his perspiration aside, I always had a pretty high opinion of him.

Reactions: The Reindeer Terp

Yes!

I still have that team built on my College Hoops 2k7.

I like to remember the 85-44 game in Cameron where Greivis Vásquez ran his mouth before the game about how playing in CIS was like a home game to him. It was enjoyable watching hime walk of the court with his tail between his legs.

I loved Vasquez. LOVED him. Amazing player, but also so fiery and emotional. He actually talked about how much he loved playing in Cameron because he loved the energy and the crowd... he was one of those guys who you might hate at first, but eventually you could see that what pushed him was enthusiasm and love for the game.

I was watching the Miracle Minute/Gone in 54 Seconds with a buddy. It had been an AWFUL game... we were never close... JWill was garbage. And then it happened. It happened SO quickly... it was really mind blowing. 39 minutes of pain, and then total absolute joy:)

'99-'00 -- the year they broke a really long ACC winning streak and longer ACC home winning streak -- I think it was Danny Miller. Mouton was sitting out after transferring.

'00-'01 it was Terrence Morris.

Drew Nicholas was a relevant backcourt sub. Tahj Holden was their primary post sub and I never thought he got enough credit. He'd have started for most ACC teams at the time.

Yeah, I had been thinking of Nicholas, but didn't think he started.

'
U0q.gif

I loved Vasquez. LOVED him. Amazing player, but also so fiery and emotional. He actually talked about how much he loved playing in Cameron because he loved the energy and the crowd... he was one of those guys who you might hate at first, but eventually you could see that what pushed him was enthusiasm and love for the game.
I couldn't stand him... until his last game @ Cameron. I remember him smiling and laughing and interacting w/ the Crazies and I realized he was one of those guys who you might hate at first, but eventually you could see that what pushed him was enthusiasm and love for the game.

I only heard it on the radio live. The chants of "Overrated" were way clearer and louder on the radio. I remember thinking w/ about a minute left and down 10 that if we didn't score right then I couldn't take any more of it and was going to turn it off...

And then JWill nailed a 3...

I watched the whole game and was yelling at the tv at an unhealthy level. We were going to a party that night and my then GF was fussing and fussing about wanting to leave and was saying the game was over, Duke sucks, blah blah blah. And I finally gave up with Duke being down ten. I left pissed off thinking Duke lost. That was the moment that I knew she wasn't a keeper. Haha. Oddly enough, she lives in Maryland now.

Yes!

I still have that team built on my College Hoops 2k7.

I definitely respect him as a passionate player. Would have embraced him at Duke. But that particular game, his mouth wrote a check that his ass couldn't cash. And it was glorious.

I couldn't stand him... until his last game @ Cameron. I remember him smiling and laughing and interacting w/ the Crazies and I realized he was one of those guys who you might hate at first, but eventually you could see that what pushed him was enthusiasm and love for the game.

Absolutely. I remember that well. He also gave a few interviews where he said, IIRC, that Cameron was his favorite place ever to play. The Crazies seemed to get it, too, at the end:)

Not my favorite Terp (that will always be Dixon) but definitely my second favorite. Not counting Blake, of course, for giving us his ode to Johnny Rockets.

(And if you haven't read it, click that link. It's glorious.)

Bert's been called a lot of things . . . I don't recall ever seeing "Noob". jumpingsmile

It is hard to call someone who was around when Moses came down from Mt. Sinai a noob...

Holy shitballs, I love that gif so much it's hard to put into words. It is just so fussy and bitchy:)

Reactions: Random UK Fan
What in the hell is that movie?
lol
I'm not sure, but it came up in a gif search for "low hanging fruit" and even though it didn't totally fit, I couldn't pass it up.

It's Jack Black's band Tenacious D, so it may be a stand-alone music video or one incorporated into a movie.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Bert's been called a lot of things . . . I don't recall ever seeing "Noob". jumpingsmile
I had to look up Noob. "a person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity, especially computing or the use of the Internet."

I am on the internet using it. I edit a web site.

I was using a computer before that Noob was ever born. :) I have watched ten times the games that UCFHonors has.

The bottom line is that UCF would not have been in many bowl games if they had to play an SEC schedule. They do have a good location for recruiting football players; however, UCF ain't no power. Bragging is great. But UCF did not deliver on the brags. They played a lower level SEC team and lost. RollLaugh

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I’ll give it a shot.

I think a big problem is the freedom of movement rules that seemed to change the game maybe 10 years ago or a little less?

I think the thought was to tweak the rules and make the game more open offensively. The problem is that all it has done is make a lot of games turn into FT shooting contests. I don’t want to see more than 30 FT’s a game for roughly 15 for each team. When you get into both teams shooting 20,25 FT’s, it just jams up the game.

I don’t have the solution but I think the excessive fouls turn off the average fan.

Good points

Well one thing that would probably help get more viewers on college b-ball would be to start the season in January and have it end in May. Starting in November your just competing against too much, NFL, college football, NHL and NBA starting at the same time.

In January yeah you have the nfl playoffs but those are on weekends so you can have the big non conference games during the week.

I agree.

And to get this thread back. I do want the sport to grow. But changes are needed.

I think even the blue blood powers should want change.

Who wants to root for a blue blood in a declining or stale sport? I know I dont.

Hi Bert - you would lose that bet.
He lied about the 1966 team at Kentucky? Gary cheated? When?

I'll just leave it like this for all the Duke and Kentucky fans here:

None of you refute my points about why fan interest is dwindling. You just attack:

couch burner, Jack rabbit Milkshake something, Gary cheated too, Md fans worst ever, I'm too old to to use Mike Krybaby, and Cashipari....oh the best one from was "once your damn team gets good enough they will get a 240 minute infomercial on ESPN/K.""

I guess Villanova's should be on soon?? They not good enough either??

boring....snooze....just get better material...that's what is too old.

I love college basketball, which implies I love to some degree Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Mich St and Kansas. Some of the greatest teams and coaches and memorable basketball that has ever been played. I get that.

Those facts do not mean that at this time - their dominance on the recruiting trail, and the extremely preferential whistle, especially at home for these and other "national" teams...does not result in indifference and loss of interest for some fans of the other 345 schools that do not get their own channel on ESPN from Jan thru March every year, and 4 5 star reloads every spring.

I'll punch in the mouth any Russian/ISIS/North Korean who bad mouths Duke or Kentucky - I just wont let Bert or or the dude see it. You are silly little hypocrites, but you're my silly little hypocrites.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalNYC

None of you refute my points about why fan interest is dwindling. You just attack:

couch burner, Jack rabbit Milkshake something, Gary cheated too, Md fans worst ever, I'm too old to to use Mike Krybaby, and Cashipari....oh the best one from was "once your damn team gets good enough they will get a 240 minute infomercial on ESPN/K.""

I love college basketball, which implies I love to some degree Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Mich St and Kansas. Some of the greatest teams and coaches and memorable basketball that has ever been played. I get that.

Those facts do not mean that at this time - their dominance on the recruiting trail, and the extremely preferential whistle, especially at home for these and other "national" teams...does not result in indifference and loss of interest for some fans of the other 345 schools that do not get their own channel on ESPN from Jan thru March every year, and 4 5 star reloads every spring.

I'll punch in the mouth any Russian/ISIS/North Korean who bad mouths Duke or Kentucky - I just wont let Bert or or the dude see it. You are silly little hypocrites, but your my silly little hypocrites.
My dick grew 1/16 of an inch after reading this.

None of you refute my points about why fan interest is dwindling.
You just attack:

I'll punch in the mouth any Russian/ISIS/North Korean who bad mouths Duke or Kentucky - I just wont let Bert or or the dude see it. You are silly little hypocrites, but you're my silly little hypocrites.

I agree with the Terp fan. Some of the ignorant fans are not seeing the big picture.

Just attacks...sad. The other 345 schools just dont care. Student don't attend. While I truly think the sport had such great egalitarian potential.

Soon it will be the emperor has no clothes.

Just attacks...sad. The other 345 schools just dont care. Student don't attend. While I truly think the sport had such great egalitarian potential.

So to your point, this is recent. Like... the 345 other schools have seen their attendance drop recently, whereas I guess the big ESPN schools, haven't?

Do you have any facts at all to back up this assertion?

Last edited:
I agree with the Terp fan. Some of the ignorant fans are not seeing the big picture.

Soon it will be the emperor has no clothes.
Oh, I am an ignorant fan. WOW. I am missing the BIG picture.

Bull shit you don't even see the picture.Laughing

All that I can say to you and the Terp fan: is stick it dudes. I have forgotten more facts about college basketball than you two have ever known.

The school that I support (Kentucky) leads the nation every damned year in attendance but you are giving us a lecture in college basketball's decline. Along with the Maryland fan who probably never attended a damned college basketball game in his life.

I find this discussion a farce. You two need to go to a college basketball game and get a lesson. GEEZE! A whole bunch of us folks who actually went to college actually love the game.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I do like it when the refs let the teams play. It surprised me in both our UNC and UofL games. TV Teddy pretty much swallowed his whistle with UK-UNC. That was a shock! It also helps when teams can play defense without fouling.

Teddy and Ayers actually call the fewest fouls of all refs. It's total perception that they're whistle happy, and not backed up by data. There's actually a correlation from the more games you ref to the fewer fouls you call.

Also, for the people talking about home court advantage, I think you'd be surprised by the teams who have a statistical home court advantage. Kentucky is the first of the blue bloods, and they're not even in the top ten in home court advantage.

But don't let data skew your beliefs. Carry on.

I had to look up Noob. "a person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity, especially computing or the use of the Internet."

I am on the internet using it. I edit a web site.

I was using a computer before that Noob was ever born. :) I have watched ten times the games that UCFHonors has.

The bottom line is that UCF would not have been in many bowl games if they had to play an SEC schedule. They do have a good location for recruiting football players; however, UCF ain't no power. Bragging is great. But UCF did not deliver on the brags. They played a lower level SEC team and lost. RollLaugh
tell LSU fans that they are a lower level team. what a F'n Loser.

to say the AAC has nobody in their conference, doesn't know sh*t here are the teams that are known BB POWER's
Houston 14-0 formerly known as Phi Slam a Jamma led by Hakeem the Dream
Cinncinnati 12-2
UCF 11-2
Memphis
UConn who has won at least 1 National Championship
this is BB and the P5 moniker has no meaning

god I wish that people would grow up.

to say the AAC has nobody in their conference, doesn't know sh*t here are the teams that are known BB POWER's
Houston 14-0 formerly known as Phi Slam a Jamma led by Hakeem the Dream
Cinncinnati 12-2
UCF 11-2
Memphis
UConn who has won at least 1 National Championship
this is BB and the P5 moniker has no meaning

god I wish that people would grow up.

You're trying too hard. The best win from that group this season was against LSU. Enough said.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT