ADVERTISEMENT

Why is College basketball in decline? And...what...

Yeah, I agree. Was a big fan of it. I think cutting it to 24 would cause some issues at this level where the skill is not remotely comparable to the NBA. Maybe not though. Wouldn’t really impact my team but still would prefer it stays at 30.
Just said the same. I think 24 speeds the game up to much for college kids. It would be a mess.

Yeah, I agree. Was a big fan of it. I think cutting it to 24 would cause some issues at this level where the skill is not remotely comparable to the NBA. Maybe not though. Wouldn’t really impact my team but still would prefer it stays at 30.

Just saying 6 seconds is a big difference

Correct. I meant it wouldn’t mean that much positively to make it worth it. Didn’t think I needed to clarify that. My bad.

Kids parents getting multi million dollar homes for the kid to go to certain schools. 20 years of fake grades and depriving kids of an education. Some schools get hit hard with minor penalties, while some get away with anything. Bill Walton said he took a cut in pay when he went pro, yet the NCAA looked the other way, I could go on and on, but, you don't want to admit it. The NCAA is so crooked,that is understandable that the refs would be as well.

How many times has teams went into Allen Field house and watch a parade of KU players walk to the foul line 40 times while they shoot 3 FT.

I know what I see, video tape does not lie.
Oh, you are now talking about NCAA infractions? Ok. I guess. What exactly did you think the NCAA should have done to UNC? There was nadda they could do. Any penalty imposed would have been tossed aside. Their hands were tied.

The NCAA is crooked, so the officials must be as well? Huh? You do know the NCAA has zero to do with the hiring of officials. Like, none. Zero. Nadda. The only contact I have with the NCAA is through my backgorund check and paying fee's. After that, they have zero to do with where I work.

How many times have teams went into KU and got outshot 40 FT's to three? Not sure. How many times has a team went into Rupp and shot 14 free throws to UK's 46? I can tell you of one instance. Was that Ok, though?

It is. But not for the good. IMO, it would hurt the game, more than it would help. Going to 45 helped the game....Then as time went on, it hurt the game. 35 seconds was a very good move. As is 30. 24 IMO speeds the game up waaaaaay to much.

Reactions: herrli
I think the shot clock is just fine. Its a perfect time for the COLLEGE game. IMO, taking out the closely guarded 5-second rule, has hurt the game.

Also, I hate the reset on an offensive rebound. Why? The offense just busted their ass to get a revound, and you wanna take 10 seconds away from them for doing that? Makes about as much sense as calling a timeout under your goa;, and getting the ball on the other side of half court....Ummm, why?

Part of that 30 seconds is in there so teams have time to bring the ball up court. Obviously that isn't necessary after an offensive rebound. I'm basically proposing that they get rid of that spare clock time no longer needed to advance the ball.

I do agree that going to 24 might be too much for the skill level of college players, but there's no reason they need more than 14 seconds of possession after an offensive rebound.

UVA has ruined college basketball. At least that’s what I keep hearing in the media. Sorry y’all.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I liked a college basketball a little better when there actually was something called a mid-range shot. I know it's not necessarily going to bring more people to games (and tv viewership), but I'd like to see the 3-point line moved back to the FIBA line. I want to say it's 20 feet 9 inches, and the FIBA line is 22 feet... But 15 inches could make a difference.

I liked a college basketball a little better when there actually was something called a mid-range shot. I know it's not necessarily going to bring more people to games (and tv viewership), but I'd like to see the 3-point line moved back to the FIBA line. I want to say it's 20 feet 9 inches, and the FIBA line is 22 feet... But 15 inches could make a difference.

Yeah, I would definitely like the 3 point line moved back some.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yeah, I would definitely like the 3 point line moved back some.
Not sure that makes a difference. Kids today , who are seen as shooters, want to show they have "NBA range". IMO, the distance is irrelevant. Move it to 30, and kids are still gonna chuck it up there.

UNC has three guys who still love the midrange. Maybe you should switch allegiances?? ;)

That’s what I figured. I looked up results of that game. UCLA won by 7 and I don’t see anything about any controversy. I wonder if he can name some things that happened that kept Kentucky from winning the game.
Was that the game where Wooden announced he was retiring just before the game?

Kids parents getting multi million dollar homes for the kid to go to certain schools. 20 years of fake grades and depriving kids of an education. Some schools get hit hard with minor penalties, while some get away with anything. Bill Walton said he took a cut in pay when he went pro, yet the NCAA looked the other way, I could go on and on, but, you don't want to admit it. The NCAA is so crooked,that is understandable that the refs would be as well.

How many times has teams went into Allen Field house and watch a parade of KU players walk to the foul line 40 times while they shoot 3 FT.

I know what I see, video tape does not lie.

100 % Agree with what KYFanin NC has said.

I know countless fans of solid programs right below the KU, Dukes and UNC who saw blatant bias in the system and got jaded with preferential treatment. Now you are left with a sport that is in decline because the powers made this situation possible. It could have been a national sport. The Walton story is prime that the NCAA looks the other way.

After some time the product has flattened because most fans don't see any inclusion. And other options are better now.

And before someone jumps in, I used root for a current great power. But even I saw the rampant cheating and it got old.

Simply put, the sport caters to a select few and it is made it into the tallest midget because not many care anymore.

You seem like just some jaded fan who wants a venue to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Reactions: TheDude1
The sport is in decline in terms of viewership. I know Bilas -- who I respect a ton-- commented on this a year ago.

There is no growth. Attendance is mediocre at many programs. The stock is just flattening.

Cfball is making all the money with CFP.

I used to love the product. But it seems stale and the current generation does not seem to care.

Any ideas? Remedies.
Do you have any hard numbers to support this claim?

I know countless fans of solid programs right below the KU, Dukes and UNC who saw blatant bias in the system and got jaded with preferential treatment. Now you are left with a sport that is in decline because the powers made this situation possible. It could have been a national sport. The Walton story is prime that the NCAA looks the other way.

After some time the product has flattened because most fans don't see any inclusion. And other options are better now.

And before someone jumps in, I used root for a current great power. But even I saw the rampant cheating and it got old.

Simply put, the sport caters to a select few and it is made it into the tallest midget because not many care anymore.
Seems to have worked out for Villanova and UConn. Two, non perceived blue bloods, who have won 4 of the past 8 National titles. Unless of course, you are considering Nova and Uconn as part of your select few.....????

Cheating in CBB has gone on since Day 1. Its became worse, as the $$$ value for the product has gone up. No surprise there. Just seems to me some want to use the recent issues, as an excuse as to why their team isn't part of the Nova, Uconn, UNC and Duke circle. Those schools have combined to win 8 of the past 10 titles. Seems to me those outside of these selected few, need to step their damn games up.

Oh, you are now talking about NCAA infractions? Ok. I guess. What exactly did you think the NCAA should have done to UNC? There was nadda they could do. Any penalty imposed would have been tossed aside. Their hands were tied.

The NCAA is crooked, so the officials must be as well? Huh? You do know the NCAA has zero to do with the hiring of officials. Like, none. Zero. Nadda. The only contact I have with the NCAA is through my backgorund check and paying fee's. After that, they have zero to do with where I work.

How many times have teams went into KU and got outshot 40 FT's to three? Not sure. How many times has a team went into Rupp and shot 14 free throws to UK's 46? I can tell you of one instance. Was that Ok, though?
You seem to want a debate with me. You have strong points. I was just my reasons why I think viewership is declining. You want to rebuke what I said and you may be right, but the public’s perception is what matters. Your rebuttals don’t mean shit to what the public perceives.

Carryon.

Sounds like BS.

What current power did you used to root for? And why did that change?

1977 comes to mind when the refs literally gave Wooden his last natty.
Joe B. Hall once told me during a long car trip that he knew, going into the game, that the NCAA would not allow Wooden to lose his last game. Even when he (Wooden) walked to nearly mid court in a live ball situation nothing was done.

I agree the three point shot is too cheap.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Basketball is not dropping in Kentucky. UK season tickets are still a tough thing to get. All UL and UK games are one TV.

The lure of college basketball is big in parts of the country. The same parts of the country that made college basketball great. I lost an argument early in my career by saying the final four was a national broadcast (it was not telecast nationally). I did not realize that I got something in Kentucky that was not available in NY and LA.

Joe B. Hall once told me during a long car trip that he knew, going into the game, that the NCAA would not allow Wooden to lose his last game. Even when he (Wooden) walked to nearly mid court in a live ball situation nothing was done.
Everybody knew that. Just like everyone knew DeanSmithwould win a title his last year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The sport is in decline in terms of viewership. I know Bilas -- who I respect a ton-- commented on this a year ago.

There is no growth. Attendance is mediocre at many programs. The stock is just flattening.

Cfball is making all the money with CFP.

I used to love the product. But it seems stale and the current generation does not seem to care.

Any ideas? Remedies.

Because of the Dook/Cashipari nature of it. of it. One and dones. When the bulk of the 5 star one and dones go to 2 or 3 schools every year - It simply is not a level playing field anymore. And I agree with many of the 8 on 5 referee quotes in this thread. The Wisconsin /Duke game a few years ago a joke -

Coach K spends entire halftime of Champ game whining about foul calls on Winslow - and sure as the sun rising in the East - Wiscy gets 5 fouls called on them before first TV timeout in 2nd half. I was listening to game on radio - Jimmy C Note Calhoun was doing analysis - he is one who mentioned it -
"wow - it looks like Mike K has a real problem with how game was called in first half - Mike did no even go to locker room with team - he spent entire halftime with refs arguing about calls. If I was Wisconsin - I would be worried about refs in second half" was his quote.

For Duke and Kentucky fans does winning still feel real?? You don't feel like you are cheating?? How many titles does Cashipari have in this era? About the same as Pitino or Tubby in regular times. How many titles does Mike have in this era? 1? About the same when he had players for 3-4 years. This last fact will be the one that helps us. Once Big Blue Nation gets tired of not winning Natty's at a higher rate than when system was fair, and Mike retires - maybe we will get back to legitimite competition again.

I urge folks to go watch the 2001Duke /MD final 4 game. Either of those teams would destroy any team in college hoops right now - because they had seniors and teammates who had been together for 4 years - and it showed. The product we see now sucks.

The NBA can solve this in 10 seconds - but they wont until the fans have left the college game more than they are even doing now.

Because of the Dook/Cashipari nature of it. of it. One and dones. When the bulk of the 5 star one and dones go to 2 or 3 schools every year - It simply is not a level playing field anymore. And I agree with many of the 8 on 5 referee quotes in this thread. The Wisconsin /Duke game a few years ago a joke -

Coach K spends entire halftime of Champ game whining about foul calls on Winslow - and sure as the sun rising in the East - Wiscy gets 5 fouls called on them before first TV timeout in 2nd half. I was listening to game on radio - Jimmy C Note Calhoun was doing analysis - he is one who mentioned it -
"wow - it looks like Mike K has a real problem with how game was called in first half - Mike did no even go to locker room with team - he spent entire halftime with refs arguing about calls. If I was Wisconsin - I would be worried about refs in second half" was his quote.

For Duke and Kentucky fans does winning still feel real?? You don't feel like you are cheating?? How many titles does Cashipari have in this era? About the same as Pitino or Tubby in regular times. How many titles does Mike have in this era? 1? About the same when he had players for 3-4 years. This last fact will be the one that helps us. Once Big Blue Nation gets tired of not winning Natty's at a higher rate than when system was fair, and Mike retires - maybe we will get back to legitimite competition again.

I urge folks to go watch the 2001Duke /MD final 4 game. Either of those teams would destroy any team in college hoops right now - because they had seniors and teammates who had been together for 4 years - and it showed. The product we see now sucks.

The NBA can solve this in 10 seconds - but they wont until the fans have left the college game more than they are even doing now.

Again EVERY SINGLE WORD I agree. And LOL at Jimmy Calhoun quote. Did that really happen?! LMAO. I stoppped watching around that time so I did not know. K should be ashamed. He could have helped the sport grow but he has not.

And believe me I used to root for a current power. But the 8 on 5 is disgusting. Some of these HOFers are in with the refs and the NCAA looks the other way.

How can a Wisc. win? And this is under a coach I respect. What is the point of watching a rigged game. The refs seem obviously scared to call fair games in a elite team loses. I enjoy WWE more at least they dont try to show you its real.

Now its just a few schools colluding and the audience is just them. Like couple of mansions in a deserted hood. Must be fun. The sport never expanded and that is a FACT!

ADVERTISEMENT